Page 1 of 2 12>
Topic Options
#8111567 - 02/28/15 10:46 AM New to the FITNESS FORUMS - i need to lose 25lbs.
menthemaster Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: MA
what is a realistic amount of weight to lose in a month?

me: 5'11 215 ish.

I would like to get down to 190ish.

I am 35 - and dont exercise much -- esp. in the winter. I am "athletic" though, playing college sports etc. and besides for a small beer gut dont look "fat" - (i like to think) my face has gotten a nice round shape though - compared to years ago.

I eat like shit --- bagel for breakfast with cream cheese, usually a sub or pizza for lunch -- and perhaps a steak with potatoes for dinner... or frozen pizza or frozen chicken nuggets etc.

I also drink probably 20 beers on an average week -- thurs- sunday. IPA's, and other heavy beers. SO i know that is a lot of calories right there.

I find that shirts and pants I used to wear just last year have gotten much tighter now... and it is really depressing. I need to make a change.

As far as working out --- we have a treadmill and elipitcal in the basement. I am married and my wife is a work out fanatic. in amazing shape -- and works out each morning for like 45 minutes.

We also have a 2 year old.

So ----- whats my best bet here to loose 25 lbs.

I think i already know the answers but maybe by starting this thread - it will hold me accountable to loose some weight.

eat healthier - and use that treadmill downstairs for 30 min a day? good start?

any other tips/ or words of wisdom?

How long do you think it would take me to lose 25 lbs if i hit the elliptical or treadmill for 30 min a day --- and eat healther, and cut my beers down to say...... 5-7 per week. >?

* i did use the elliptical for the first time in a year -- about a week ago. I was only able to do about 20 minutes before i was sore all over.

But that was my extent of working out since doing some bike riding in the summer.

Edited by menthemaster (02/28/15 11:26 AM)

#8111582 - 02/28/15 11:04 AM Re: New to the FITNESS FORUMS - i need to loose 25lbs. [Re: menthemaster]
gamby Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: RI
"lose"

Originally Posted By: menthemaster

I eat like shit --- bagel for breakfast with cream cheese, usually a sub or pizza for lunch -- and perhaps a steak with potatoes for dinner... or frozen pizza or frozen chicken nuggets etc.

I also drink probably 20 beers on an average week -- thurs- sunday. IPA's, and other heavy beers. SO i know that is a lot of calories right there.

Change this. There's no way around it. Ditching all the white flour and the beer calories will make weight fall off of you. Plus, at 35, you might want to examine why you're having 20 beers in a weekend. That might be an issue all of its own.

Your athleticism in college means nothing if you aren't doing anything athletic now.

Soreness is temporary. Do an activity enough and you don't get sore. I took a month+ off from running and went running yesterday. I'm crippled today. If I run more often, that won't happen.

Now the rest of the forum can proceed to beat the shit out of you.

still have an EM1--go figure

#8111586 - 02/28/15 11:10 AM Re: New to the FITNESS FORUMS - i need to loose 25lbs. [Re: menthemaster]
Impulsive Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Edmonton
Move more, eat less. Trim back beer, cut junk, cut portion size. Count calories.

I'd just run outside.

#8111597 - 02/28/15 11:25 AM Re: New to the FITNESS FORUMS - i need to loose 25lbs. [Re: gamby]
menthemaster Offline
Post Master Sr

Originally Posted By: gamby
"lose"

Originally Posted By: menthemaster

Change this. There's no way around it. Ditching all the white flour and the beer calories will make weight fall off of you. Plus, at 35, you might want to examine why you're having 20 beers in a weekend. That might be an issue all of its own.

Your athleticism in college means nothing if you aren't doing anything athletic now.

Soreness is temporary. Do an activity enough and you don't get sore. I took a month+ off from running and went running yesterday. I'm crippled today. If I run more often, that won't happen.

Now the rest of the forum can proceed to beat the shit out of you.

yea, i hear ya! well, it is more like couple beers after work on a thursday... 4 beers on a friday night - and then a six pack over the course of each day on the weekends ---

i usually drink a beer while i work on my house... paint etc.

but yea! i hear ya --- def. need to cut back on that.

I think just that will make a big difference.

and yes, i know i opened myself up here and will get shit on.

i am ready for it. \:\)

that is why i made this thread - so hopefully in 3 months - can report back and say ... i lost 20 lbs - feel great, look great etc.

rather than just keep doing what i am doing.

oh - and i guess my point about the college stuff -- was.... i can handle it.

i know how to exercise etc, and have worked out before, programs etc.

not just some fat ass that has played video games my whole life -- now saying.. "i want to loose 100 lbs"

Edited by menthemaster (02/28/15 11:28 AM)

#8111613 - 02/28/15 11:56 AM Re: New to the FITNESS FORUMS - i need to loose 25lbs. [Re: menthemaster]
gamby Offline
Post Master Supreme

Well, I'm 5'11 and was 205 in 2012. Got down to 178 over the summer and I'm ~185 now because winter weight.

I'm a pretty avid cyclist, and anything I have to say about the workout side of it will get shot down here. That said, think about doing some sort of strength training. I do a lot of pushups/pullups.

Club Orthorexia aside, I can tell you that white flour is the #1 reason I pack on pounds over the holidays--followed by sugar. I'm not fanatical about avoiding either, but limiting them greatly worked well.

"You can't out-train a bad diet" is a mantra here--because it's true. It's even more true at 35 and even more true at 40. Eat more vegetables. Eat some fruit at breakfast. Figure out what fills you up that isn't white flour-based (ditch the bagels ASAP).

A lot of IPAs have 200+ calories. Multiply that by 20 and that's a FUCKTON of extra empty calories each week.

If you're running on a treadmill 30 minutes a day and clean up your diet even reasonably, 25 lbs in a few months isn't remotely unrealistic.

#8111628 - 02/28/15 12:21 PM Re: New to the FITNESS FORUMS - i need to loose 25lbs. [Re: gamby]
stickaz_old Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Nor Cal, Hella hurr durr
Have you picked out your tri bike yet? Also rather than trying to lose 25# try to lose 5#, then 5 more, etc. I know it's the same thing but smaller achievable goals.

I went from 215 to 190 (6'1) just through becoming a noob tri person, I'm about 195 tho right now and am trying to get back to 190# for a half I have the end of next month \:D
The process of 215 to 190 for me was right around 2 years, or a pound a month

For me it's all about portion control and actually understanding the sheer volume of calories I'm actually consuming. I'm noticing my prior methods of 'hmm seems about right, or let's just go on the full-o-meter' really aren't worth a damn /shocker

Keeping with the small, achievable goal theory, I try to end most days in a calorie deficit. Given that I've plateued around 195# for more than a year now! I'm obviously doing something wrong. I've taken to graphing my weight now even haha. I think I can do the 5# tho :D, I'll be at 15% body fat if the next 5# I lose are fat only (yes, that is not realistic)

Also get your bloodworm #s, hopefully yours are fine but mine are now actually shocking bad (triglycerides, cholesterol, etc)

#8111636 - 02/28/15 12:28 PM Re: New to the FITNESS FORUMS - i need to loose 25lbs. [Re: stickaz_old]
gamby Offline
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: zakcits

bloodworm #s

#8111647 - 02/28/15 12:45 PM Re: New to the FITNESS FORUMS - i need to loose 25lbs. [Re: stickaz_old]
Design Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: The OC
My advice is two key words: document & consistency.

Document your daily intake. Best guess is you are eating 3500-4000 calories a day. Get it down to 1800-2200 if you can. Don't uproot everything you know, just be sensible and treat it like a budget. With exercise, you'll drop about 4-6 lbs your first week or so (water weight), 1-2 lbs each week thereafter. Reduce calorie intake by 50-100 for every 10 lbs you drop. Psychologically, the more quickly you drop, the less likely you'll be able to maintain the loss once you reach goal.

Above all, be consistent. Don't beat yourself up if you go over or miss a day off exercise. Get back on the horse and keep at it. Don't go crazy on the cardio the first month or two; just focus on moving and elevating heart rate. Give your body time to adjust to avoid injury.

In the end, it's about having more good days than bad. Lean on your wife for the day-to-day; she will probably be the biggest help. GL.
89 Camaro - Sold
CSI. What's your diversion?

#8111664 - 02/28/15 01:17 PM Re: New to the FITNESS FORUMS - i need to loose 25lbs. [Re: Design]
DieZel Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: 18th green
This is really easy...

Cut down the beer...

Exercise, preferably NOT just cardio...

Your "diet" isn't what is making you fat, it's the beer and lack of activity...

#8111667 - 02/28/15 01:19 PM Re: New to the FITNESS FORUMS - i need to loose 25lbs. [Re: DieZel]
DieZel Offline
Post Master Supreme

25lbs can easily be dropped in 3 months... oh and add some fucking green stuff to your diet...
#8112285 - 03/01/15 10:59 AM Re: New to the FITNESS FORUMS - i need to loose 25lbs. [Re: ]
menthemaster Offline
Post Master Sr

Awesome guys. Thanks for all taking the time to respond.

Hopefully I can turn this ship around before I lose track of it.

Going to start NOW.

WIll update with progress throughout.

#8114578 - 03/03/15 10:13 AM Re: New to the FITNESS FORUMS - i need to loose 25lbs. [Re: menthemaster]
menthemaster Offline
Post Master Sr

not that people care ---- but i have started changing my habits.

signed up for "myfitness pal" app - to track my calories --- and goals and all that stuff.

they recommemnded losing 1.5lb per week -- so that is the calorie intake i am shooting for.

ate 1610 calories yesterday - no beers of course -

going for another healthy day today --- one day at a time.. one week at a time etc.

#8114598 - 03/03/15 10:28 AM Re: New to the FITNESS FORUMS - i need to loose 25lbs. [Re: menthemaster]
WNDYCTYone Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: CHICAGO
I care. Seriously, I have much respect for anyone looking to make a change and actually following through.

Keep it up!

PS4 - ChicagoGOBLUE

#8114622 - 03/03/15 10:40 AM Re: New to the FITNESS FORUMS - i need to loose 25lbs. [Re: WNDYCTYone]
menthemaster Offline
Post Master Sr

my toughest task will probably be finding stuff to eat for lunch.

i can eat a healthy breakfast no problem - cut out the bagels etc.

i can cut out the beers -

but trying to find something healthy for lunch is challenging for me -- yesterday i went to subway - and got a veggie sub - no dressing or cheese (dont like that stuff anyways)

so that was decently healthy -- but i am still sure not great.

on a normal day for lunch i would get one of the following:

2 slices of cheese pizza

chipolte - soft tacos - chicken -

mcdonalds, or wendys.

a sub from a pizza place

sushi

so trying to figure out what to substitute all these lunches with when I am working.

#8114647 - 03/03/15 10:56 AM Re: New to the FITNESS FORUMS - i need to loose 25lbs. [Re: menthemaster]
gamby Offline
Post Master Supreme

The soft tacos without cheese wouldn't be so horrible.

Get a turkey wrap loaded with veggies--mustard or honey mustard as a condiment. Avocado with a little salt is also a great "condiment".

Get a sub on multigrain if they have it. Grilled chicken. No cheese.

Bring a big apple along from home and eat that instead of chips/fries.

Salad with nowhere near the whole packet of dressing from McDonalds/Wendys. The grilled chicken snack wraps with honey mustard and no cheese aren't that bad at all. The flour tortillas aren't great, but they're way better than fries. There are some quasi-healthy choices on fast food menus.

#8114684 - 03/03/15 11:12 AM Re: New to the FITNESS FORUMS - i need to loose 25lbs. [Re: WNDYCTYone]
Risky Business Offline
Provides a Great Work Environment. he/him
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: WNDYCTYone
I care. Seriously, I have much respect for anyone looking to make a change and actually following through.

Keep it up!

I wasn't going to post in this thread, but will now since I agree with the above.

You are doing all the right things and like someone else said, don't try to take on too much all at once, it doesn't work 99% of the time.

Low hanging fruit, cut out the beers first and start with moderate, but consistent exercise. Don't set 30 minute cardio goals from the start, indoor cardio is torture and 30 minutes for someone who hasn't been doing it will be tough. Do something more managable like 10-15 minutes to start (if you feel you can do more, then go ahead) in the first week, you have no excuses, probability of failing yourself is low and will build your confidence/endurance even though it's not much. Between that and your beer reduction you will see results right away.

Same goes with your food intake, give it a week or two, track what you are eating and attack the easy stuff. A full diet overhaul and other ambitious goals will set you up for failure, which then leads to disappointment, and you know the rest.

The good thing is, once you have all the key stuff dialed in yon still enjoy some beers and good food with an active lifestyle. Keep at it.

#8114715 - 03/03/15 11:24 AM Re: New to the FITNESS FORUMS - i need to loose 25lbs. [Re: Risky Business]
menthemaster Offline
Post Master Sr

yep! i agree 100%.

this app that tracks all the calories - and shows you how much you have left is really helping me out -- to plan healthier meals etc.

i know it isnt fool proof - and isnt perfect etc.

but whatever - it is helping me so far --- and kinda forcing me to be held accountable etc.

#8114922 - 03/03/15 12:50 PM Re: New to the FITNESS FORUMS - i need to loose 25lbs. [Re: menthemaster]
Design Offline
Post Master Supreme

Good for you man. Half the battle is just knowing how much we take in daily. I've been able to pick and choose a viable option at nearly every fast food restaurant when in a pinch:

- McDonalds: Premium grilled chicken wrap, no cheese or sauce
- Wendy's: Grilled chicken wrap or sandwich, no sauce or cheese
- Del Taco: Grilled Chicken Del Carbon, no cheese
- Taco Bell: Grilled Chicken tacos with salsa
- Subway: Grilled chicken or turkey on whole wheat with mustard and veggies. No cheese.

I might suggest looking through the menus at your favorite fast food joints and choosing one or two "fail-safe" foods that are both appetizing and sensible. Sometime we work late, in a rush, travel, etc. Keep at it!
89 Camaro - Sold

#8115013 - 03/03/15 01:37 PM Re: New to the FITNESS FORUMS - i need to loose 25lbs. [Re: Design]
gamby Offline
Post Master Supreme

Since your goals aren't "get shredded ASAP", doing these tweaks to your eating habits as well as introducing regular exercise will get you to your goal weight easily. You have to start thinking about it more when you want to make further progress--but don't worry about that now.

If you do this simple stuff, you'll literally be cutting out thousands of calories each week, which will give you results. Healthy weight loss is 2 lbs/week, so no need to rush.

#8115132 - 03/03/15 02:40 PM Re: New to the FITNESS FORUMS - i need to loose 25lbs. [Re: gamby]
menthemaster Offline
Post Master Sr

Originally Posted By: gamby
Since your goals aren't "get shredded ASAP", doing these tweaks to your eating habits as well as introducing regular exercise will get you to your goal weight easily. You have to start thinking about it more when you want to make further progress--but don't worry about that now.

If you do this simple stuff, you'll literally be cutting out thousands of calories each week, which will give you results. Healthy weight loss is 2 lbs/week, so no need to rush.

yep. exactly. I was thinking on a "normal" day yesterday I would have easily eaten 1500-2000 calories more than i did. Same with today.

and it wasnt crazy shitty food -- but a bacon egg and cheese bagel on my way into work -- rather than the multi grain english muffin i made at home.

I spend 5 hours TILING a backsplash in my kitchen last night -- normally my house projects include a few beers while i work. Instead I drank 3 Selzter water's.

But yea, i wont bore you with my daily updates - but will prob check in once a week to keep myself accountable.

Starting weight was officially 215 on the NOSE.

that was 3/2.

Will check it out again on 3/9

#8115200 - 03/03/15 03:04 PM Re: New to the FITNESS FORUMS - i need to loose 25lbs. [Re: menthemaster]
WNDYCTYone Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: CHICAGO
I like myfitnesspal (web and app). I am trying to 'clean' bulk and use it to keep an eye on the calories I'm consuming. Prior to seeing actual numbers I wasn't really ever in a calorie surplus and was in a constant maintenance mode if you will. Now I have the pounds coming on.

PS4 - ChicagoGOBLUE

#8115300 - 03/03/15 03:53 PM Re: New to the FITNESS FORUMS - i need to loose 25lbs. [Re: WNDYCTYone]
DieZel Offline
Post Master Supreme

Unless you're the type of person who would be annoyed by daily fluctuations I would highly recommend you weigh in daily (fist think in the morning) and record your weigh ins and take an average... then compare averages week to week...

I'm just saying that there are alot of varialbles to account for and weighing in only once a week could lead to you making rash decisions... say you weigh 215 first weigh in and you weigh in a week later and you're 214...? you might have a knee jerk reaction and make a change when it might not have been necessary...

Your daily weigh ins may have been 215, 213.8, 213.5, 212.1, 212.4, 211.9, 214... making your average 213.2, which should be compared to the following weeks average...

This takes like NO TIME (20 seconds in the morning to weigh and record in notes section of your phone)... it'll just be a better gauge of how you are progressing vs a single weigh in...

#8115321 - 03/03/15 03:59 PM Re: New to the FITNESS FORUMS - i need to loose 25lbs. [Re: DieZel]
stickaz_old Offline
Post Master Supreme

here's an example of what I do , statistical analysis can be applied if desired pretty simply in excel, eg moving/rolling/running avgs

or you can do the old "technical analysis" [read: bullshit with lines on the top and the bottom similar to stock "analysis" eg bullshit]

3# to go in 3.5 weeks \:D

#8115322 - 03/03/15 03:59 PM Re: New to the FITNESS FORUMS - i need to loose 25lbs. [Re: DieZel]
Impulsive Offline
Post Master Supreme

Agreed. I weigh myself twice a day but the morning weigh in on an empty stomach one is my guide.

#8115337 - 03/03/15 04:05 PM Re: New to the FITNESS FORUMS - i need to loose 25lbs. [Re: Impulsive]
DieZel Offline
Post Master Supreme

morning weight is certainly true weight, and best for determining progress...

i'm at 226.8 now, but walk around close to 230ish throughout the day and go to bed usually right now around 231ish...

#8115346 - 03/03/15 04:09 PM Re: New to the FITNESS FORUMS - i need to loose 25lbs. [Re: DieZel]
stickaz_old Offline
Post Master Supreme

how do you lose 5# between going to bed and waking up?

#8115380 - 03/03/15 04:23 PM Re: New to the FITNESS FORUMS - i need to loose 25lbs. [Re: stickaz_old]
DieZel Offline
Post Master Supreme

happens every night... water loss throughout the night along with getting up to piss usually once, sometimes twice... every now and then i gotta piss like every 2 hours... lol...
#8115389 - 03/03/15 04:26 PM Re: New to the FITNESS FORUMS - i need to loose 25lbs. [Re: stickaz_old]
Impulsive Offline
Post Master Supreme

how do you lose 5# between going to bed and waking up?

I'm usually 3-4 pounds heavier on a moderately empty stomach at 5pm then in the morning. Mostly water.

#8115551 - 03/03/15 06:13 PM Re: New to the FITNESS FORUMS - i need to loose 25lbs. [Re: Impulsive]
DieZel Offline
Post Master Supreme

everyone dehydrates as they sleep... it's just science bitches... ;\)
#8115562 - 03/03/15 06:29 PM Re: New to the FITNESS FORUMS - i need to loose 25lbs. [Re: DieZel]
stickaz_old Offline
Post Master Supreme

weight loss through cellular respiration [carbon and H20 primarily] supposedly a # or 2 for adults, so I'm just wondering where 5# comes from. Night sweats?

just wondering why it's ~3x higher in this thread than for everyone else

#8115567 - 03/03/15 06:33 PM Re: New to the FITNESS FORUMS - i need to loose 25lbs. [Re: stickaz_old]
DieZel Offline
Post Master Supreme

I apparently have a very high metabolic rate, and take into account that I eat a good amount of food about an hour prior to bed every night so that'll play a role as well...
#8115640 - 03/03/15 07:29 PM Re: New to the FITNESS FORUMS - i need to loose 25lbs. [Re: stickaz_old]
Design Offline
Post Master Supreme

just wondering why it's ~3x higher in this thread than for everyone else

Micro-tears from heavy workouts will encourage water retention during recovery.
89 Camaro - Sold

#8115793 - 03/03/15 09:48 PM Re: New to the FITNESS FORUMS - i need to loose 25lbs. [Re: Design]
Rumbelstiltskin Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: So Cal
I'm 3-5# lighter when I wake up
#8115858 - 03/03/15 11:45 PM Re: New to the FITNESS FORUMS - i need to loose 25lbs. [Re: DieZel]
gamby Offline
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: DieZel
happens every night... water loss throughout the night along with getting up to piss usually once, sometimes twice... every now and then i gotta piss like every 2 hours... lol...

...as well as a 1# poo. I weigh in AM, post-poo.

A pint is a pound, so a few good leaks pre-bed, during the night and at wakeup void a lot of water weight by doing nothing.

Can't wait to get back outside on the bike and running regularly so I can finally get rid of the winter weight.

#8116038 - 03/04/15 08:57 AM Re: New to the FITNESS FORUMS - i need to loose 25lbs. [Re: gamby]
Impulsive Offline
Post Master Supreme

Checked right before bed (10:30) and weighed 3.2 lbs lighter this morning (6:20). One 4am piss and drank 1-1/2 cups of water at that time.

Page 1 of 2 12>

Moderator:  Silock, Professor Paki 
Hop to:
Shout Box

CSi Sponsors

DiGBiC Lighters
DiGBiC Lighters
DallasColo
Dallas Colocation
ClubSi.com Shirts
ClubSi-Shirts
GameStop
Black-Friday Specials
Big Brake Kits
StopTech.Sale BBK Clearance
Brake Kits
Buy Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
BuyBrakes
Brake Kits-Pads & Rotors Sets
StopTech Brake Kits
StopTech
StopTech NZ
StopTech
StopTech Australia
StopTech
Hawk Brake Pads
Hawk Brake Pads
Samys Camera
GoPros, Cameras, Gear
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Pad Coupons
Coupon Code "hondafetish"
Porsche Brakes
Porsche Brake Upgrades
2-Piece Rotors-Civic Type-R
2-Piece Civic Rotors
Advertisement

| Brake Pads | | How To Change Brake Pads | | Drilled Slotted Brake Kits Cheap | EBC Brake Kits | Performance Brake Kits | Brake Specials Near Me | How To Replace Brake Pads