Page 3 of 7 <12345>Last »
Topic Options
#8080090 - 02/05/15 10:27 PM Re: My road to ultras starts tonight. v. running blog (get it?) [Re: 2000SiRacer]
Lividentity Offline
Major Member

Loc: Gehenna
When I go I will make sure to get a picture of the actual one sharp incline so you can see what its like. Its no slouch, just short. It isn't 10 miles long, haha. Man by the end of that second hill you're only halfway, but the second half will probably be the easier half. As if that means a damn thing lol.

I think a road ultra will be horrible, fun and painful. So, yeah, I think I have the right mindset. :P

#8083724 - 02/08/15 07:08 PM Re: My road to ultras starts tonight. v. running blog (get it?) [Re: Lividentity]
Lividentity Offline
Major Member

Week 3 recap:

Monday: Off

Tuesday: 7 miles - SPEED: Easy effort 1 mile then 4x4s: 4 x (4minutes moderate-hard effort then 4 minutes easy) Try to keep the 4 minute effort at 1/2MP - 10 seconds
- This was a fun way to do speed work. Though I didn't have my watch set to show current pace and going by the plan I was actually going too hard/fast.

Wednesday: 5 miles - LONG: Easy effort to progression. Last 10 minutes at 1/2 Marathon Pace (1/2MP)
- Slow run was a nice change from the day before lol.

Thursday: 4 miles - HILLS: Warm up 1 mile and then 10-15 x 20 seconds uphill hard effort. Recover on the downhill. Remaining time easy effort
- Did 15 repeats at the bridge again, this time in pouring down rain, got completely soaked, had an absolute blast, did almost a half mile extra by the time I got back to my car lol.

Friday: Off

Saturday: 7 miles - LONG: Easy effort to progression. Last 10 minutes at 1/2 Marathon Pace (1/2MP)
- Slow run, unintentionally made every mile faster than the previous, just felt good and ran.

Sunday: 11 miles - LONG: Easy effort to progression. Last 10 minutes at 1/2 Marathon Pace (1/2MP)
- Did 3 laps around a park for this, felt good and last mile was 7:27, was pushing that mile pretty fast.

I've had a little bit of soreness on the back of my right knee this past 1-2 weeks. I keep forgetting about foam rolling it, but did today. I also will work on doing some stretches Liza sent me and I just never do, heh.

This week totaled out to be 34 miles planned and 34.7 ran. Next week is 36 miles followed by 38 miles. Hoping to hit 40 and maybe stay near there for a few weeks through March? We'll see.

#8103448 - 02/22/15 02:53 PM Re: My road to ultras starts tonight. v. running blog (get it?) [Re: Lividentity]
Lividentity Offline
Major Member

I accidentally forgot to post the recap for week 4, so going to post week 4 and 5 recaps!

Week 4 recap:

Tuesday: 7 miles - [SPEED: Warm up 1 mile. Alterations: 4 x( 0.25mi at comfortably uncomfortable pace, 0.75 mi 15-30 seconds slower) Remaining time easy effort.]
- These were a little tough, I did the first one too fast I think then the other 3 at a good pace, though the in between parts were closer more like 60-90 seconds slower instead of 15-30, gotta work on this next time.

Wednesday: 3 miles - [RECOVERY: easy effort]
- Ran this easy in a new pair of Altra Instinct 2.0's, seem like good shoes.

Thursday: 5 miles - [HILLS: Warm up 1 mile and then 8-10x 30 seconds uphill hard effort. Recover on the downhill. Remaining time easy effort]
- Did this at the Celery Fields hill, hill took me about 30 seconds to get up, and is a rough 50 feet of elevation gain, doesn't sound like a lot but it kicked my ass FAST. I did 8 repeats then ran around the hills back to car, magically ended at 5.07 very close to an even 5 miles.

Saturday: 7 miles - [RECOVERY: Easy effort. Keep this at least 60-90 seconds slower than your half-marathon pace. More if that doesn't feel easy.]
- This was a nice run that was pretty consistent with every mile between 10:04-10:28.

Sunday: 14 miles - [LONG: Easy effort.]
- I ran to Siesta Key and back, ended up being 14.5 miles as I gauged the distance on Google Maps poorly, lol. Most of the run felt good, had some random twinges and soreness but ended the run in good shape.

#8103462 - 02/22/15 03:08 PM Re: My road to ultras starts tonight. v. running blog (get it?) [Re: Lividentity]
Lividentity Offline
Major Member

Week 5 recap:

- Did a kettlebell workout today

Tuesday: 7 miles - [SPEED: Easy effort 1 mile, Ladder Intervals: 1min, 2min, 3min, 2min, 1min, hard effort, recover for equal time as interval between each, Remaining time easy effort]
- Weather was poor and raining hard, with radar showing really bad rain coming, so did this on treadmill, got about 4 miles in and all the ladder intervals (ran the hard sections at 8.5-9.0) and then it let up outside so I finished the last 3 miles outside before the treadmill drove me insane.

Wednesday: 3 miles - [RECOVERY: Easy effort.]
- Nice easy run with a kettlebell workout afterwards.

Thursday: 5 miles - [HILLS: Warm up 1 mile and then 10-15 x 30 seconds uphill hard effort. Recover on the downhill. Remaining time easy effort -- Do this on the moderate grade hill -- not the steep one.]
- Run was good, did 30 seconds up and 40 seconds down hill using run/walk setting on my watch, though I noticed I was gradually climbing the hill, so after 10 repeats I went to the bottom to do my last 5 repeats. It was also ~40degrees and very windy, amusing to run in tshirt and shorts and see everyone bundled up. Also, first run with new PEP shirt/hat (100% Australian merino wool) they're pretty nice so far. Had one sore spot on my right hamstring around repeats 9-10, but with the extended downhill after 10 it went away.

Saturday: 7 miles - [RECOVERY: Easy effort.]
- Probably did this a tad fast as after 5 miles I could feel my lungs/body having a little soreness, but overall felt good. I also did a 23.5 mile bike ride today, I am going to be working at a different facility in the upcoming week and wanted to do a test bike ride there, and just biked some extra on the Legacy Trail for fun.

Sunday: 16 miles - [LONG: Easy effort.]
- My legs right away felt pretty wore out, guess that long bike ride yesterday was no help, but weren't actually sore in an overworked not able to do this type of way. Again went to Siesta Key and ran around and came back. I could feel near the end that I was getting tired with low energy. I had a banana ~45 minutes before running and ran with 16oz of Propel and 1 pack of ClifBloks. I tend to like running with little food to burn through some fat, but I think my next long run will be a switch to figure out a good fueling strategy for long runs leading to the race 12 weeks away.

Right now I'm feeling great about the training, past 4 weeks have been 31 miles, 34 miles, 36 miles and 38 miles. Coming up is a lower 33 mile week, including an already scheduled half marathon, followed by a 45 mile week. I've progressed my long runs up to 16 this week with a 19 and 23 on the horizon. Liza also put in on the schedule Sunday long runs by hours, basically from late March to middle of April they will go from 3-4 hours to 8 hours.

I just picked up a Petzl Tikka RXP+, got it yesterday, so haven't used it yet, but looking forward to doing some training runs at night to get used to that.

If anyone has suggestions of fueling for 100 miles let me know. Today was only 16 miles and I don't usually drink a lot, drank less than my 16oz, and I lost 3.5lbs, the Keys 100 doesn't do weigh ins like some races, but since it was only 70 degrees or so, instead of 85+ like it will be race day, I think I should drink more, though my stomach easily gets sloshy and uncomfortable. Perhaps I should also get salt tablets/pills of some sort.

Does anyone have any experience with Tailwind? I got a variety pack of theirs but since its rated for 24oz and I have 16oz I only used it once and didn't like it a lot. I might try it again soon and not use the whole pack.

#8103621 - 02/22/15 06:55 PM Re: My road to ultras starts tonight. v. running blog (get it?) [Re: Lividentity]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Long Beach, CA
Everyone is different, but here is what works for me. I start the race with a package of blocks and a baggy full of SCaps. I basically try and take 1 or 2 SCaps and 100-150 calories of fuel every hour on the hour, then supplement with whatever looks good at the aid stations. Water only in my bottle, but I'll drink a cup or two of sports drink at the AS's as well as Coke or 7UP.

At Leadville this worked really well. Never got tired or bonked, and other than a bout of quesiness at mile 80 or so (that a roll of Tums fixed), I never had any stomach issues. I ate lots of chips, cookies and these fucking awesome turkey and cheese tortilla wraps. Oh, chicken broth was amazing when it was cold up in Hope Pass and again at night.

I think it's really important to eat before you start getting bonky or hungry. It's alot harder to climb out of a deficit than it is to consistently fuel your body.

#8103633 - 02/22/15 07:08 PM Re: My road to ultras starts tonight. v. running blog (get it?) [Re: Sir Ironpool]
Lividentity Offline
Major Member

Yeah I agree with what you're saying.

My longest run is the 50k I did and I had some stomach issues, so I don't want to just rely on what I did then.

I've never used S! Caps but looking them up I see they make sense. If I use them with Bloks will that be too much sodium? I know the Bloks have sodium in them as well.

I like how your plan is simple, just take some caps and some Bloks, then eat a shitload of whatever delicious stuff is in front of your face. :P

I actually bought a pack of Golden Oreo's to eat some during training, easy calories and they're tasty, get some energy and they're like a treat, sounds cool to me!

#8103639 - 02/22/15 07:17 PM Re: My road to ultras starts tonight. v. running blog (get it?) [Re: Lividentity]
nato2377 Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: Denver, CO
you should try tailwind nutrition on some of your long runs and see how it works for you. i use it for my 100 mile mtb races and its wonderful. ive tried 4 or 5 different things and that worked the best by far.
#8103650 - 02/22/15 07:34 PM Re: My road to ultras starts tonight. v. running blog (get it?) [Re: nato2377]
Lividentity Offline
Major Member

Yeah I have a variety pack from them but only used once. It didn't seem great, but probably because I used their prepack for 24oz of water in a 21oz container, just don't think it mixed well enough. I still have like 4 packs though so I'm going to try it out again.

Also, I'm from York so anytime I see you post I think its a small world, lol.

#8103735 - 02/22/15 08:57 PM Re: My road to ultras starts tonight. v. running blog (get it?) [Re: Lividentity]
nato2377 Offline
Post Master Sr

i mix it in a 100oz camelback in a ratio thats about 200calories an hour, i think i gotta put like 15 scoops in LOL then i just drink all my calories for the race haha im sure running is quite different though as i can go through 3 camelbacks in a race..im sure you cant drink that much running.

thats funny, def is a small world! what area of york? im literally right next to Heritage Hills

#8103777 - 02/22/15 09:18 PM Re: My road to ultras starts tonight. v. running blog (get it?) [Re: Lividentity]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: Lividentity

My longest run is the 50k I did and I had some stomach issues, so I don't want to just rely on what I did then.

I've never used S! Caps but looking them up I see they make sense. If I use them with Bloks will that be too much sodium? I know the Bloks have sodium in them as well.

I like how your plan is simple, just take some caps and some Bloks, then eat a shitload of whatever delicious stuff is in front of your face. :P

I actually bought a pack of Golden Oreo's to eat some during training, easy calories and they're tasty, get some energy and they're like a treat, sounds cool to me!

As long as you're hydrating like you should, you can't overdo the sodium...you'll just piss out anything your body doesn't need. It'll keep the cramps away though.

#8104264 - 02/23/15 12:46 PM Re: My road to ultras starts tonight. v. running blog (get it?) [Re: Sir Ironpool]
stickaz_old Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Nor Cal, Hella hurr durr
on a side note/dont want to make another thread:

is there any benefit to fore-going nutrition during a training run/ride to help train your fat-burning energy system?

I mean you want to experiment in training with your race nutrition so that you dont end up wearing it/cramping/etc right? But say for marathon-ish prep you need to kinda teach your body to burn fat and deal with zero nutrition in training or??

like I try to run for ~2 hrs on water only /noob, but in a race I'll GU it up

#8104556 - 02/23/15 04:09 PM Re: My road to ultras starts tonight. v. running blog (get it?) [Re: stickaz_old]
Design Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: The OC
Mentally there's a benefit. Physically? Not sure.

I think we're supposed to consume around 220-300 calories an hour during our longer runs, which averages to about 4 oz sports drink and 1-2 gel shots. The key seems to be those back-to-back long runs late in training at near-race pace. My training only had me experience them twice. And I think advanced programs may do it 4-5 times or more.

My training:

Week 16:
- 8 mile steady run Thurs
- 18 mile run Fri (12 miles steady + 3 miles 10K pace + 3 miles steady)

Week 17:
- 1 week mixed runs with one 14 mile steady run

Week 18:
- 8 miles @ 10K pace on Sun
- Recovery run Tues
- 8 mile steady run on Thurs
- 20 mile run Fri (12 miles steady + 5 miles 10K pace + 3 miles steady)
89 Camaro - Sold
CSI. What's your diversion?

#8104743 - 02/23/15 06:57 PM Re: My road to ultras starts tonight. v. running blog (get it?) [Re: nato2377]
Lividentity Offline
Major Member

Originally Posted By: nato2377
i mix it in a 100oz camelback in a ratio thats about 200calories an hour, i think i gotta put like 15 scoops in LOL then i just drink all my calories for the race haha im sure running is quite different though as i can go through 3 camelbacks in a race..im sure you cant drink that much running.

thats funny, def is a small world! what area of york? im literally right next to Heritage Hills

Yeah I need to try out the Tailwind again for sure. Thing is the nutrition stuff really only has merit on long runs, which I really only do 1 long enough a week, so its hard to test this stuff, lol.

Technically I moved to FL, but I still have a house that my Dad and Brother live in. It's in Dover off 74. Though I lived during college in York right off where 83/30 meet. I also went to college at Penn State York, which is right down the road from Heritage Hills basically, lol.

#8104745 - 02/23/15 06:58 PM Re: My road to ultras starts tonight. v. running blog (get it?) [Re: Sir Ironpool]
Lividentity Offline
Major Member

Originally Posted By: Mrs. Ironmom

As long as you're hydrating like you should, you can't overdo the sodium...you'll just piss out anything your body doesn't need. It'll keep the cramps away though.

Yeah, didn't think of that. I'll have to purchase a pack of the S! Caps then to test them out, thanks!

#8104747 - 02/23/15 07:01 PM Re: My road to ultras starts tonight. v. running blog (get it?) [Re: stickaz_old]
Lividentity Offline
Major Member

Originally Posted By: zakcits
on a side note/dont want to make another thread:

is there any benefit to fore-going nutrition during a training run/ride to help train your fat-burning energy system?

I mean you want to experiment in training with your race nutrition so that you dont end up wearing it/cramping/etc right? But say for marathon-ish prep you need to kinda teach your body to burn fat and deal with zero nutrition in training or??

like I try to run for ~2 hrs on water only /noob, but in a race I'll GU it up

I think there is a benefit to it. You burn through your glycogen stores and if you don't have carbs in your system queueing up to be burned you switch to fat. Having that system functioning is a good thing. Though this is purely personal opinion and I am in no way a scientist.

A podcast I listened to lately, either UltraRunningPodcast or TrailRunnerNation had an interview about this and that's one of the big issues with people hitting "the wall" is they run out of stored up fuel and their system is inefficient at burning fat.

Only runs that are into double digits do I do any fueling or hydration for. But since I want to get my nutrition strategy set for my race I need to start practicing it, it is 12 weeks away, so average of 11 more "long" runs, and I even have 2 half marathons in there too. So I just have to find the right balance of stuffing my face, lol.

#8104816 - 02/23/15 08:04 PM Re: My road to ultras starts tonight. v. running blog (get it?) [Re: Lividentity]
nato2377 Offline
Post Master Sr

Originally Posted By: nato2377

Yeah I need to try out the Tailwind again for sure. Thing is the nutrition stuff really only has merit on long runs, which I really only do 1 long enough a week, so its hard to test this stuff, lol.

Technically I moved to FL, but I still have a house that my Dad and Brother live in. It's in Dover off 74. Though I lived during college in York right off where 83/30 meet. I also went to college at Penn State York, which is right down the road from Heritage Hills basically, lol.

nice! i ride up that way through pinchot a lot. if youre ever back in town, give me a shout if you wanna grab a beer downtown at holy hound taproom or something. good luck with your goals this year!

#8104850 - 02/23/15 08:23 PM Re: My road to ultras starts tonight. v. running blog (get it?) [Re: nato2377]
Lividentity Offline
Major Member

Thanks man! I'm not sure when I'm visiting again, sometime in Spring probably.

I don't drink, but I've heard Holy Hound is awesome, I like going to The White Rose, their sweet potato fries are still my favorite anywhere!

Keep up kicking ass on the mountain bike! \:\)

#8104891 - 02/23/15 08:56 PM Re: My road to ultras starts tonight. v. running blog (get it?) [Re: Lividentity]
nato2377 Offline
Post Master Sr

yeah they are the BOMB, im down for those haha
thanks, will do!

#8109256 - 02/26/15 06:12 PM Re: My road to ultras starts tonight. v. running blog (get it?) [Re: Lividentity]
2000SiRacer Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Colorado

It looks pretty! Are you going costumed?

#8109311 - 02/26/15 06:39 PM Re: My road to ultras starts tonight. v. running blog (get it?) [Re: 2000SiRacer]
Lividentity Offline
Major Member

I haven't decided. I'm not exactly handy with making stuff. I have some InknBurn shirts so maybe get a new one for it or something.

I'm excited about it even with it being many months away and with 2 hundreds between now and then, lol.

#8121992 - 03/08/15 06:12 PM Re: My road to ultras starts tonight. v. running blog (get it?) [Re: Lividentity]
Lividentity Offline
Major Member

Gonna do a double recap again!

Week 6 recap:

- Did a kettlebell workout

Tuesday: 7 miles - [SPEED: Include 2 miles at 1/2 Marathon Goal Pace]
- Did 2 slow miles, then 2 at 8:16 and 8:06 then 3 slow miles. Felt pretty good, also biked to work the past 2 days so legs weren't "100%"

Wednesday: 4 miles - [RECOVERY: Easy effort]
- Just an easy 4 miles followed by a kettlebell workout.

Thursday: 5 miles - [RECOVERY: Easy effort and include 6 x 100m strides]
- Actually did 5 miles then the strides, came out to 5.5 miles, first time doing strides so I actually looked up online how to do them, lol. I think I did them right and they felt pretty good.

Friday: 4 miles - [RECOVERY: Easy effort]
- Actually ran in the morning this time and then biked to work, gave me a lot of energy for the day.

Saturday: Off

Sunday: 13.1 miles [Miami Beach Half-Marathon]
- Had no real goal going into this except sub-2 hours. I felt good at the starting line but almost from step 1 both of my calves/shins on both legs hurt more than I've ever experienced. I was fighting my brain to not walk for the first 4 miles, then from 4-5 it got a little better and at mile 5 I felt normal again. Around mile 2 the 2hour pacer passed me and I recaught him at mile 9 and passed him and ended up finishing in 1:57. Was super happy with that time because of how the race started. I put myself in the mental space of thinking that my 100 miler will hurt as well, so being able to focus on that and stay running now is good prep work for the 100miler. I guess we'll see how I do then, but any little bit helps I think!

Week total: 33.8 miles

#8121994 - 03/08/15 06:16 PM Re: My road to ultras starts tonight. v. running blog (get it?) [Re: Lividentity]
stickaz_old Offline
Post Master Supreme

wewt good job, I hope against hope that I can see the 2:00:00 pacer next time for something other than the time we are stationary and in the corrals. That fucker takes off man! fuck that guy, seriously. He easily went out 8:45, 8:45, 8:45 just to be a dick to get out of the fray a bit I think

#8121999 - 03/08/15 06:25 PM Re: My road to ultras starts tonight. v. running blog (get it?) [Re: Lividentity]
Lividentity Offline
Major Member

Week 7 recap:

Monday: 10 miles [RECOVERY: Easy effort]
- Stayed around the 11min/mile pace and felt good. First real run in the heat for the year, was around 80 degrees during the run.

Tuesday: 5 miles [SPEED: Warm up 1/2 mile. Alterations: 4 x ( 1/2 mi at comfortably uncomfortable pace,1/2 mi 15-30 seconds slower) Remaining time easy effort. ]
- Was really happy with this as I was doing the fast half miles around 3:40 and the slow half around 4:10, so right in line with the prescribed 15-30 secs slower. I put my GPS watch onto a page of showing strictly current pace and set it not to change, so I could glance down anytime to check how I was doing, this helped me keep up as last time my slower half miles were closer to a full minute slower.

Wednesday: Off

Thursday: 5 miles [HILLS: Warm up 1 mile and then 10-15 x 30 seconds uphill hard effort. Recover on the downhill. Remaining time easy effort -- Do this on the STEEP hill]
- This was a tough one! I ended up doing 12 repeats up and down the hill, after about 8 it started being noticeably harder, then at 10 it was much tougher but I didn't want to do the bottom end of the range, so I keyed up on 12 (honestly I wanted to do 12 from the start) and did another 2. The last time at the top I had to stop for a few second because I felt like throwing up, it was that tough. I then went to my car and grabbed some Propel and finished the run. All 12 of those repeats ended up being almost exactly 1 mile, just crazy how short and steep that hill is! I set my watch to run/walk at 30/45sec intervals. So I'd run up for 30 secs, which is almost exactly how long it would take me to reach the top, come down and then stand at the bottom for 3-5 secs before going up again usually. The hill is so steep you have to brace yourself going down as well, so it is hardly a rest period, you're basically going and pushing the whole time.

Saturday: 6 miles [RECOVERY: Easy effort]
- Stayed about a 10:30 pace for the whole 6 miles and simply felt good.

Sunday: 19 miles [LONG: Easy effort]
- Don't ask me why this is long instead of recovery when they're both easy efforts, lol. Anyway, I actually did loops of my neighborhood that came out to be roughly 7.1 miles, 14.2 miles and then 19 miles. First stop at 7.1 miles was in 1:08 and felt pretty good. I took about a 4 minute pit stop to refill my bottle, swap ClifBloks, etc. Second stop at 14.2 miles was 2:15, so a tad faster and this pit stop was about 2 minutes long. I then finished the 19 miles in 3:03:30.

My nutritional plan for this run was to run with an 8oz container with Naked flavor Tailwind in it. I drank roughly 7oz each lap and refilled the bottle each lap, going through the whole pack of 200calories in 24oz of water. I also had 3 ClifBloks every 3 miles, and I was going roughly 6mph, so that's 180 calories an hour. Each pit stop I also ate 1 golden Oreo, about 50 cals plus they're tasty and a semi-treat to keep going. I equate all of this to being in the 200-250 calories an hour range, what Liza recommended. My energy was good for the whole run, however right at miles 10, 12, 14, 16, 17, 17.5 and 18 for about 30 seconds each my lower stomach area would kind of clench/hurt and then be fine. Not sure what did this, I train with ClifBloks a lot, I've only used Tailwind ~3 times ever (including today) so that might be it, the Tailwind is very salty as well. But I think it went well overall. I was able to run strong, though it didn't feel hard, and wasn't until mile 15 my quads started being sore.

I'm really happy with how the training is going and each time I go out I learn something that will make me better. I'm psyched to get my long run nutrition down and try to be able to keep up a 10-12 min/mile pace for as long as I possibly can.

Weekly total: 45.4 miles

#8122000 - 03/08/15 06:27 PM Re: My road to ultras starts tonight. v. running blog (get it?) [Re: stickaz_old]
Lividentity Offline
Major Member

wewt good job, I hope against hope that I can see the 2:00:00 pacer next time for something other than the time we are stationary and in the corrals. That fucker takes off man! fuck that guy, seriously. He easily went out 8:45, 8:45, 8:45 just to be a dick to get out of the fray a bit I think

Yeah it has to be tough to be a pacer, because if you lock in at that 9:08 pace what if you have to grab water? What if the course is really 13.3 miles? I think a pacer tries to gain ~2 minutes on what their finish time is to help keep people under the goal.

Then again, I did a marathon in December and kept up with the 4hour pacer until mile 18 or so, then some hip pain slowed me down. I was never passed by another pacer, be that 4:05, 4:10, etc and I finished in 4:15. Then again that race was a mile long so maybe that was part of it, so you can never be sure even with a pacer what will happen.

#8126187 - 03/11/15 12:35 PM Re: My road to ultras starts tonight. v. running blog (get it?) [Re: Lividentity]
2000SiRacer Offline
Post Master Supreme

Livid: I'm mulling over signing up for Javelina and working on convincing Ironmom and ampsman to join. Please pepper them both with hints and pokes to get them across the goal line

#8126588 - 03/11/15 03:40 PM Re: My road to ultras starts tonight. v. running blog (get it?) [Re: 2000SiRacer]
Lividentity Offline
Major Member

You guys totally should! I know Liza said she wasn't happy her CR got broken last year so I will have to see if she has any interest in doing it this year as well. \:\) She's going to be doing MdS here next month which is pretty neat as well.

I'm hoping to do the race with my bro and rent an rv for it. Though I haven't looked into any of that yet, as I am wanting to get the Keys100 out of the way first.

By the way, on Monday I did officially sign up for the Keys100! Super excited about it!

#8127326 - 03/12/15 08:28 AM Re: My road to ultras starts tonight. v. running blog (get it?) [Re: Lividentity]
2000SiRacer Offline
Post Master Supreme

If you're renting an RV then I have a costume idea for you...

Also, Ironmom will happily snuggle into any tiny bit of bed space you have in there so lock your doors

EDIT: Just pulled up the race park on Google maps. WTF?! Second thoughts

\:\(

Edited by 2000SiRacer (03/12/15 09:56 AM)

#8127841 - 03/12/15 12:40 PM Re: My road to ultras starts tonight. v. running blog (get it?) [Re: 2000SiRacer]
Lividentity Offline
Major Member

Haha, that race costume idea is brilliant! I can imagine running in a robe and flannel hat in AZ will be super fun! :P

The picture for the damn park is a spider? FML. I'm technically not signed up for it yet....

Lol, but seriously I am planning to rent an rv, they say 24ft is the biggest so I don't know how many people can be in it comfortably, but during the race not like any of us will be sleeping, lol. Anyone is more than welcome to crash in it, store stuff in it, etc. If my brother is able to come it'll just be 2 of us in it anyway so there will be space.

#8130963 - 03/15/15 03:15 PM Re: My road to ultras starts tonight. v. running blog (get it?) [Re: Lividentity]
Lividentity Offline
Major Member

Week 8 recap:

Tuesday: 6 miles [SPEED: Warm up 1 mile. Alterations: 4 x ( 3/4 mi at comfortably uncomfortable pace,1/4 mi 15-30 seconds slower) Remaining time easy effort. ]

- Ran hard for this and that felt good, however I screwed up the pacing, pretty much the fast 4 miles turned into a half-marathon pace run, lol. Some of my "slower" sections were a few seconds faster pace than my "faster" sections, lol.

Wednesday: Off

Thursday: 4 miles [HILLS: Do this on the not-as-steep hill. Ladder repeats: 30sec, 1min, 90seconds, 1min, 30 sec, uphill hard effort and recover on the downhill.]
- This was fun, ran hard uphill and slowed down on the way down then turned around and jogged uphill a little bit to get to either a new minute or x:30 so I could easily know when to stop and go back down.

Saturday: 23 miles [LONG: Easy effort]
- I ended up cutting this one short to 18 miles. This was kind of my own fault for wanting to do a longer out and back first before refueling, so I did 10 miles with only 8oz of TailWind and my ClifBlox, last week on my long run I drank 8oz in 7 miles. The heat really turned up yesterday and I went from cruising at a 10-10:30 pace to struggling at an 11 pace. I did pit stops at miles 10 and 17 and had nothing in the tank, was very hot and wanted to throw up. I started again at mile 17, ran .25-.33 miles then walked to 18 back to the house. My stomach was cramping, or hurt at least, and I felt terrible. I decided to cut it short and regroup for the race on Sunday, after all, even with less mileage I definitely learned some things on this run.

Sunday: 13.1 miles [Sarasota First Watch Half-Marathon]
- So I started this race between the 1:50 and 2:00 pacers, wondering how well/hard I'd be able to run, knowing what happened yesterday being so hot and feeling terrible, nonetheless it being an 18 mile run as well!

Started out great, and finished great. Race went off really well, was able to maintain a low 8's pace and finished in 1:48, its far off my PR (1:40) at this very race last year, but super happy with the results and how everything went. Was happy to be able to push as hard as I could and have no major, or really any, issues.

Looking forward to week 9 and beyond, race is only 2 months away!

Note: My one friend wasn't able to come down to crew me for the Keys 100, so with that I changed it up and my brother and 2 of our friends are coming. We've all known each other for 15-20 years, so I completely trust them, but, perhaps more importantly, it should be a lot of fun. I want them to give me positivity during the run, because I know it is going to be tough. I think its funny that I'll be out there slogging away half dead and they'll be having a hell of a time acting like teenagers again, lol.

#8153597 - 03/31/15 07:49 PM Re: My road to ultras starts tonight. v. running blog (get it?) [Re: Lividentity]
Lividentity Offline
Major Member

Been kind of busy lately with some friends and family visiting, plus, you know, running and running and running. But, without further adieu.

Week 9 Recap:

Tuesday: 8 miles [SPEED: Include 5 x 800m at 5k race pace; Jog 50-90% interval time in between]
- Did a warmup mile then the speed splits were 3:42, 3:39, 3:32, 3:32, 3:26, then cooldown rest of the run. Was pretty darn happy with these times, kept getting faster!

Wednesday: 3 miles [RECOVERY: Easy effort.]
- Just a basic easy 3 miler.

Thursday: 3 miles [POWERHIKING 3 miles. Let me know your pace, so we can track your improvement leading up to the race.]
- Technically not a "run" but I still did it and averaged a 14min pace. Was actually pretty tough as it works your legs different, need to work on my gait. This night I got a horrible cramp in my left hip abductor and couldn't sleep in my normal position. (This issue comes back later)

Friday: 3 miles [RECOVERY: Easy effort.]
- Again easy 3 miler, had some soreness in my calves/shins first few miles. This is a common thing with me, warmup miles usually are sore.

Saturday: 24 miles [LONG: 3-4 hours easy effort. After you warm up, powerhike hard for 1 minute every mile.]
- Only did 21 miles in 3:52, was happy with this pace. Was faster than my personal goal of 20 miles. First long run I left my watch running the entire time, even while refueling at my house, as that most closely mimics race conditions.

Sunday: 12 miles [LONG: Easy effort]
- Ran this well with just 8oz of Propel and 1 pack of ClifBlox. Legs were kinda sore, duh ran 21 miles the day before! Probably should have gone a little slower but wanted to finish before the heat got too strong.

#8153603 - 03/31/15 07:53 PM Re: My road to ultras starts tonight. v. running blog (get it?) [Re: Lividentity]
stickaz_old Offline
Post Master Supreme

^update on being locked out of house on 24 miler not found^

#8153609 - 03/31/15 07:58 PM Re: My road to ultras starts tonight. v. running blog (get it?) [Re: Lividentity]
Lividentity Offline
Major Member

Week 10 Recap:

Tuesday: 8 miles [RECOVERY: Easy effort.]
- First 2 miles both my calves were really sore, but then loosened up. Had some right big toe soreness again, but that's been much less common lately.

Wednesday: 5 miles [RECOVERY: Easy effort.]
- Left hip abductor acted up during the run, started feeling it around halfway through and the last mile it was actually sore enough to be painful and very uncomfortable. Probably should have stopped but just finished the run anyway.

Thursday: Off

Friday: 10k evening race [Goal was to PR under 48:18]
- Ended up skipping the race due to my hip abductor still being sore. Thursday it was sore enough to affect me walking, Friday it wasn't as bad but obviously if I would have ran on it then it would have been much worse.

Saturday: Off

Sunday: 5hour [LONG: 5 hours easy effort. After you warm up, powerhike hard for 1 minute evey mile. Last hour is all powerhiking.]
- I ended up doing 24 miles in 4:46. I was again really happy with this given the circumstances, leg felt fine, but at mile 12.75 I had my last ClifBlox I had on me, then I got locked out of my house, lol. My parents took my grandparents to the airport and they locked the door! I was able to get around back and get water from the pool fridge and it was only 70 or so out, so it wasn't a death march or anything. I just decided to put my 1 hour power walking in from 2.5 hours to 3.5 hours. I did a good amount of walking after that as well, but mixed in a good bit of running. Left quad was getting pretty sore by the end though and was happy to be done because I was getting low on energy by then. My parents got back right before I hit 24 miles so that was easy to end it there, close enough to 5 hours and I didn't want an issue with my quad, I also completely spaced out on doing the powerwalking every mile until mile 11, lol.

Week ended up being only 37.1 miles (last week was 50.3), but partly because we had a planned fast 10k in there, and partly because I didn't do that 10k, lol.

Feeling good now and looking forward to doing more power walking to get better at it, along with getting to the race!

I think it was on a Trail Runner Nation podcast I heard them talking about its the middle part that's tough, when you sign up for a race you're all excited about it and to get training, and then at/near race day you're excited again, but these middling weeks hitting 40/50/60+ miles and doing 4/5/6+ hour runs is where its tough but is also most important. Just trying to stay focused and stay positive.

I forget if I mentioned, and am not rereading the whole thread, but me and my crew are all growing moustaches for the race, lol. To be honest I've been doing it since the end of January and they just started like 1.5 weeks ago, but will be hilarious.

Edited by Lividentity (03/31/15 08:03 PM)

#8153610 - 03/31/15 07:58 PM Re: My road to ultras starts tonight. v. running blog (get it?) [Re: stickaz_old]
Lividentity Offline
Major Member

^update on being locked out of house on 24 miler not found^

That's because it happened on my Week 10, which I need to ninja edit because it says Week 20 not 10, whoops. You posted in between my updates man, gotta let me type it takes time!

#8153622 - 03/31/15 08:10 PM Re: My road to ultras starts tonight. v. running blog (get it?) [Re: Lividentity]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

Great to see you putting in the work man. If you keep it up like this, I think you'll have a great first hundo experience.

They were right on TRN. Those middle training weeks during a big block are hard. I remember having a rough time getting out of bed a few Saturday mornings to get up to the mountains...but I knew that by doing it it would make me stronger come race day.

#8153635 - 03/31/15 08:15 PM Re: My road to ultras starts tonight. v. running blog (get it?) [Re: Sir Ironpool]
Lividentity Offline
Major Member

Thanks man! I'm trying to be as organized and prepared as I can for it. Plus having my brother and friends crew me that I've known for 15/20+ years will make it fun, I hope!

Yeah I have some long 6-8 hour training runs coming up that feel daunting, even though they're not even half of the 100! It certainly is tough some days to get up and be like ok, I'm gonna go out and run for 4/5+ hours and by the time that's done and I'm showered and such my day might as well be shot.

Plus all the costs involved, man having to buy some stuff and get flights and hotels and such, this race is putting me back some!

I bought a Bear II Victory bag to organize some stuff in for my crew and while its expensive at almost $100 the thing is super ridiculously nice looking and well made! (http://victorysportdesign.com/?product=bear-ii-6)

Page 3 of 7 <12345>Last »

Moderator:  Silock, Professor Paki 
Hop to:
Shout Box

CSi Sponsors

DiGBiC Lighters
DiGBiC Lighters
DallasColo
Dallas Colocation
ClubSi.com Shirts
ClubSi-Shirts
GameStop
Black-Friday Specials
Big Brake Kits
StopTech.Sale BBK Clearance
Brake Kits
Buy Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
BuyBrakes
Brake Kits-Pads & Rotors Sets
StopTech Brake Kits
StopTech
StopTech NZ
StopTech
StopTech Australia
StopTech
Hawk Brake Pads
Hawk Brake Pads
Samys Camera
GoPros, Cameras, Gear
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Pad Coupons
Coupon Code "hondafetish"
Porsche Brakes
Porsche Brake Upgrades
2-Piece Rotors-Civic Type-R
2-Piece Civic Rotors
Advertisement

| Brake Pads | | How To Change Brake Pads | | Drilled Slotted Brake Kits Cheap | EBC Brake Kits | Performance Brake Kits | Brake Specials Near Me | How To Replace Brake Pads