Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#8071873 - 02/01/15 07:24 PM Los Cabos (Mex) vs Cozumel (Mex) vs Samana (DR) vs PuntaCana
furball Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: Toronto, ON
Something in March... For: time to fall asleep under an umbrella on the beach, visiting a town would be nice, as would scuba diving and snorkeling. Something 'off the beaten path' a bit ...

Cuba's out due to lack of proper refrigeration, although Varadero is close to Havana (City) ...

Costs are all about the same for a 4-star all-in hotel....

Here are some options:

1) SAMANA, Dominican Republic
- Smaller island in a little 'bay', where you can do some bullshit whale-watching ... Off the beaten path.
2) COZUMEL, Mexico
- Some little island off the east side of Mexico
3) LOS CABOS Mexico
- Looks pretty 'first world' to me... They even have a 'Holiday Inn' hotel ...
4) PUNTA CANA, Dominican Republic
- This was my option outside of Cuba ... Cheap, but not as cheap as I expected...

We're looking at the 'larger' chains such as the Iberostars...

And....go! Right now I'm starting to narrow it down to Cozumel vs Samana...

Edited by furball (02/01/15 07:59 PM)

#8072041 - 02/01/15 08:25 PM Re: Los Cabos (Mex) vs Cozumel (Mex) vs Samana (DR) vs PuntaCana [Re: furball]
The Postman Offline
A-List Member also The Man
Post Master Sr

Lack of refrigeration? I've been to Cuba 16 times and can't say I know want you mean by that. Booked for a week in March for #17.

Booked for #2 in Dominican in August. Cayo Levantado (former Bicardi island) which is part of Samana.

#8072067 - 02/01/15 08:36 PM Re: Los Cabos (Mex) vs Cozumel (Mex) vs Samana (DR) vs PuntaCana [Re: The Postman]
Screamin Type ARGH! Offline
High Value Poster
Post Master Supreme

Loc: T.O. - Canaduh
been to coz and it's nice, plus you can take the ferry to cancun or mayan riv area too if you wanted to go someplace more 'populated'. punta was fun (long while back), cheap, but not as nice...and i wouldnt say quiet.

cabos i hear is quite nice...not sure how 'off the beaten path' it is. i'd guess it's not tho as you said "first world"

samana sounds quiet, maybe worth checking out.

cuba, sure there are issues but they've improved a lot over the past few years (i guess depends on the resort lol).

iberostars are sweet. also check out the RIU's to, very nice.
dont stay at wyndhams, crap.

if you want super off the beaten path, turks & caicos is beautiful and quiet.

"Ban low performance drivers, not high performance cars"

#8072332 - 02/01/15 10:06 PM Re: Los Cabos (Mex) vs Cozumel (Mex) vs Samana (DR) vs PuntaCana [Re: Screamin Type ARGH!]
SiZ Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: Longdon, Ontario
Just got back from cancun last week, had an absolute blast! Blew cuba out of the water, and I liked cuba!

Food was amazing, drank a million beers too.

#8072353 - 02/01/15 10:14 PM Re: Los Cabos (Mex) vs Cozumel (Mex) vs Samana (DR) vs PuntaCana [Re: SiZ]
Hatorade Offline
pheggit
Post Master Supreme

We loved coz, I have yet been to any place in the Caribbean that had good snorkeling. Hawaii fucking rocked for that shit.

'07 997.1 GT3
'08 E90 M3
'11 E90 d
'02 Rota Grid - 195-55-16FR (RIP)
'04 Volk GTC - 245-35-19F/275-35-19R (Sold to a farm boi)
I thought Spark was a robot from the old movie and I kind of remember seeing him telling some engineer showing the equation for a clear metal that the guy would event years later - porschetr

#8072363 - 02/01/15 10:16 PM Re: Los Cabos (Mex) vs Cozumel (Mex) vs Samana (DR) vs PuntaCana [Re: Hatorade]
furball Offline
Post Master Sr

Apparently I fucked up on the Los Cabos as a potential destination, she was thinking Cabos Sans Lucas... \:\|
#8072561 - 02/02/15 05:52 AM Re: Los Cabos (Mex) vs Cozumel (Mex) vs Samana (DR) vs PuntaCana [Re: furball]
titty sprinkles Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Toronto,Ontario
Went to myan riv in aug. Beautiful resort and the beach had a huge reef like 30 feet out. My cousins and I went snorkeling every day. Food was meh but the resort was really nice.

#8072685 - 02/02/15 08:34 AM Re: Los Cabos (Mex) vs Cozumel (Mex) vs Samana (DR) vs PuntaCana [Re: titty sprinkles]
Denis Si Offline
Post Master

Loc: T.O.
Cancun >*
#8084186 - 02/09/15 09:23 AM Re: Los Cabos (Mex) vs Cozumel (Mex) vs Samana (DR) vs PuntaCana [Re: Denis Si]
xza8 Offline
Sr Member

Go to Barbados, a much better Caribbean island.
#8084217 - 02/09/15 09:45 AM Re: Los Cabos (Mex) vs Cozumel (Mex) vs Samana (DR) vs PuntaCana [Re: Denis Si]
Hatorade Offline
pheggit
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: Denis Si
Cancun >*

meh, it's ok if you are looking to party and love being in a commercialized area.

'07 997.1 GT3
'08 E90 M3
'11 E90 d
I thought Spark was a robot from the old movie and I kind of remember seeing him telling some engineer showing the equation for a clear metal that the guy would event years later - porschetr

#8084370 - 02/09/15 11:14 AM Re: Los Cabos (Mex) vs Cozumel (Mex) vs Samana (DR) vs PuntaCana [Re: Hatorade]
Denis Si Offline
Post Master

Originally Posted By: Hatorade
Cancun >*

meh, it's ok if you are looking to party and love being in a commercialized area.

It's better than cabo. Shit ocean, shit beach and water is not even that blue

#8084475 - 02/09/15 12:13 PM Re: Los Cabos (Mex) vs Cozumel (Mex) vs Samana (DR) vs PuntaCana [Re: Denis Si]
Hatorade Offline
pheggit
Post Master Supreme

Cancun >*

So mad bro

'07 997.1 GT3
'08 E90 M3
'11 E90 d

#8084945 - 02/09/15 03:47 PM Re: Los Cabos (Mex) vs Cozumel (Mex) vs Samana (DR) vs PuntaCana [Re: Hatorade]
Denis Si Offline
Post Master

Cancun >*

So mad bro

Hahha not mad. Just overrated

#8085073 - 02/09/15 05:07 PM Re: Los Cabos (Mex) vs Cozumel (Mex) vs Samana (DR) vs PuntaCana [Re: Denis Si]
Simon_the_Pieman Online   pedobearsmiley
Post Master Sr

Loc: The A
bro in law got married here:
http://www.tripadvisor.ca/Hotel_Review-g..._Peninsula.html

it was awesome. food was good all around, great service, and beach/pool was good as well.
rooms were modern and well kept.

would go back.

ninja edit: been to punta cana twice. im usually an iron stomach kinda guy and can eat drink anything. but both times ive been there ive gotten sick. like pissing out the ass every hour sick.
the resorts werent cheap either. its something in the way they cook. i have never been sick anywhere else. been all over the US, cuba twice, jamaica twice, italy, spain, france, and been fine. DR fucks me right up. never going back again.

Edited by Simon_the_Pieman (02/09/15 05:13 PM)
Edit Reason: fuck DR

#8085510 - 02/09/15 09:22 PM Re: Los Cabos (Mex) vs Cozumel (Mex) vs Samana (DR) vs PuntaCana [Re: Simon_the_Pieman]
furball Offline
Post Master Sr

We're heading to Cozumel, Mexico...

Dunno if I'm gonna get Dukoral or not ...

I took it once for Cuba/DR... seemed fine.

#8100930 - 02/20/15 10:20 AM Re: Los Cabos (Mex) vs Cozumel (Mex) vs Samana (DR) vs PuntaCana [Re: furball]
High Value Poster
Post Master Supreme

^you'll be fine and cozumel is nice....hopefully the resort you chose isn't too ghetto and the food will be ok. i always bring pepto just in case but htey have all that stuff their to buy if need be. you'll have to ferry it over with your luggage, but the ferries are much nicer now. you can always hop on mid-trip to head over to cancun for the day if you like too...it ports right "downtown" with all the shops/restaurants. the water around cozumel is crystal clear, just beautiful since it's such a small island.

fuck this weather, i'm booking something with the fam too lol. prob won't make it till april given year end coming up...oh well.

prob gonna just do cuba or DR (been many places but never to these), but 4-5 star for sure, been to mex 2-3 times already. i'd love to do curacao but the pricing is up there and not all places are all incl. bahamas is another option. already did jamaica.

azul as posted above have very nice resorts. it seems them, bahia, iberostar, riu, breezes and paradisus (most money) are your nicer ones.

malia, memories, mercure aren't far behind but are usually a bit cheaper. (fyi, mercure is half owned by air transat and memories is half owned by sunwing) - aka some Canadian standards at those places.

Edited by Screamin DC2R (02/20/15 10:22 AM)

#8100940 - 02/20/15 10:27 AM Re: Los Cabos (Mex) vs Cozumel (Mex) vs Samana (DR) vs PuntaCana [Re: Screamin Type ARGH!]
The Postman Offline
Post Master Sr

The Iberostar Ensenachos in Cayo Santa Maria Cuba is an awesome spot for a familty. We have been there 5 times now and the kids area is great. They have alot of family oriented activites and shows for the kids. The 2 beaches there are beautiful too. Water is real shallow and calm too.

We stay in the adults section lol.

#8100945 - 02/20/15 10:29 AM Re: Los Cabos (Mex) vs Cozumel (Mex) vs Samana (DR) vs PuntaCana [Re: The Postman]
High Value Poster
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: Dumbass
The Iberostar Ensenachos in Cayo Santa Maria Cuba is an awesome spot for a familty. We have been there 5 times now and the kids area is great. They have alot of family oriented activites and shows for the kids. The 2 beaches there are beautiful too. Water is real shallow and calm too.

We stay in the adults section lol.

awesome, will check, thanks.
doing the usual checks myself online (holy crap too much to choose from), but i have couple agents i know checking too \:\)

#8100990 - 02/20/15 10:51 AM Re: Los Cabos (Mex) vs Cozumel (Mex) vs Samana (DR) vs PuntaCana [Re: Screamin Type ARGH!]
The Postman Offline
Post Master Sr

Ive been all over Cuba and the beaches and overall vibe of the area is awesome. You wont find a nicer beach anywhere.

It used to be a high end adults only Occidental resort until Iberostar took it over 5 years ago. The still have a more quiet/private adults area, but the bigger main pool has all this family related stuff now.

PM me your email and Ill send you some pics.

#8101702 - 02/20/15 03:15 PM Re: Los Cabos (Mex) vs Cozumel (Mex) vs Samana (DR) vs PuntaCana [Re: The Postman]
furball Offline
Post Master Sr

What to do with currency? Do I just bring a stack of US dollars? Or should I get some Mexican pesos before heading into Mexico?

What's the 'tip' standard there? i.e. back in the day, 1 CUC (Cuban tourist peso) was good shit in Cuba... Hrm..... 1USD == 15 Pesos... so I guess they'd beat me over the head and spit on me if I gave 1 Peso as a tip

I assume any excursions I do, I can pay via CC (USD) ...

Edited by furball (02/20/15 03:19 PM)

#8101776 - 02/20/15 04:08 PM Re: Los Cabos (Mex) vs Cozumel (Mex) vs Samana (DR) vs PuntaCana [Re: furball]
Euphoricuck Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Canadistan
punta cana is nice.

Nice blend of everything. food is better than cuba. ymmv i guess on whether you get sick or not ;\) no issues here.

#8101778 - 02/20/15 04:11 PM Re: Los Cabos (Mex) vs Cozumel (Mex) vs Samana (DR) vs PuntaCana [Re: Euphoricuck]
titty sprinkles Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Toronto,Ontario
 Originally Posted By: Euphoric
my punta is nice

\:o

#8102626 - 02/21/15 09:39 AM Re: Los Cabos (Mex) vs Cozumel (Mex) vs Samana (DR) vs PuntaCana [Re: titty sprinkles]
SharpSpoon Online   nohc
Post Master Sr

Loc: GTA
What does lack of refrigeration mean?

I would have voted for cuba. Stayed here last year. Gf is paranoid about bad food and getting sick and she had no problem with this resort.

http://www.tripadvisor.ca/Hotel_Review-g...vince_Cuba.html

#8106660 - 02/25/15 10:06 AM Re: Los Cabos (Mex) vs Cozumel (Mex) vs Samana (DR) vs PuntaCana [Re: SharpSpoon]
High Value Poster
Post Master Supreme

cuba even the nicer places seem dated/bleh.

most likely doing DR - la romana prob. if not then samana or punta.

fuck i wanna go to curacao!

#8106914 - 02/25/15 11:57 AM Re: Los Cabos (Mex) vs Cozumel (Mex) vs Samana (DR) vs PuntaCana [Re: Screamin Type ARGH!]
Hatorade Offline
pheggit
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: Screamin DC2R

Are you bringing the kid as well?

'07 997.1 GT3
'08 E90 M3
'11 E90 d

#8106918 - 02/25/15 11:59 AM Re: Los Cabos (Mex) vs Cozumel (Mex) vs Samana (DR) vs PuntaCana [Re: furball]
Hatorade Offline
pheggit
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: furball
What to do with currency? Do I just bring a stack of US dollars? Or should I get some Mexican pesos before heading into Mexico?

What's the 'tip' standard there? i.e. back in the day, 1 CUC (Cuban tourist peso) was good shit in Cuba... Hrm..... 1USD == 15 Pesos... so I guess they'd beat me over the head and spit on me if I gave 1 Peso as a tip

I assume any excursions I do, I can pay via CC (USD) ...

Yeah I usually go with a stack of USD in $1, $5 denominations lol

'07 997.1 GT3
'08 E90 M3
'11 E90 d

#8106945 - 02/25/15 12:14 PM Re: Los Cabos (Mex) vs Cozumel (Mex) vs Samana (DR) vs PuntaCana [Re: Hatorade]
High Value Poster
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: Screamin DC2R

Are you bringing the kid as well?

yup

#8114439 - 03/03/15 09:20 AM Re: Los Cabos (Mex) vs Cozumel (Mex) vs Samana (DR) vs PuntaCana [Re: Screamin Type ARGH!]
High Value Poster
Post Master Supreme

memories splash punta cana booked, booyah, hope it's good. get to share the 5-star royalton which is awesome.

dreams la romana was original plan but filled up. wth.

Edited by Screamin DC2R (03/03/15 09:29 AM)

#8184304 - 04/23/15 10:37 PM Re: Los Cabos (Mex) vs Cozumel (Mex) vs Samana (DR) vs PuntaCana [Re: Screamin Type ARGH!]
High Value Poster
Post Master Supreme

just back from memories/royalton, best resort we've ever stayed in from every aspect. a couple of very minor detractions but otherwise definitely recommend if you guys are every considering punta cana!

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  c2k, LNXGUY, TheRealCSnapper, Professor Paki 
Hop to:
Shout Box

CSi Sponsors

DiGBiC Lighters
DiGBiC Lighters
DallasColo
Dallas Colocation
ClubSi.com Shirts
ClubSi-Shirts
GameStop
Black-Friday Specials
Big Brake Kits
StopTech.Sale BBK Clearance
Brake Kits
Buy Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
BuyBrakes
Brake Kits-Pads & Rotors Sets
StopTech Brake Kits
StopTech
StopTech NZ
StopTech
StopTech Australia
StopTech
Hawk Brake Pads
Hawk Brake Pads
Samys Camera
GoPros, Cameras, Gear
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Pad Coupons
Coupon Code "hondafetish"
Porsche Brakes
Porsche Brake Upgrades
2-Piece Rotors-Civic Type-R
2-Piece Civic Rotors
Advertisement

| Brake Pads | | How To Change Brake Pads | | Drilled Slotted Brake Kits Cheap | EBC Brake Kits | Performance Brake Kits | Brake Specials Near Me | How To Replace Brake Pads