Page 106 of 148 « First<104105106107108>Last »
Topic Options
#8064529 - 01/27/15 07:58 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Lividentity]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Long Beach, CA
Never had to use any support/stability shoes, but I've had 3 pairs of Olympus' and am currently running in the Instinct 2.0's. I love them. Since I'm now getting the hookup on Pearl Izumis I likely won't buy many other pairs, but the Olympus 1.5 just came out and they look real good.

#8064532 - 01/27/15 07:59 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Lividentity]
SJP0tato Offline

Loc: Gilbert, Az
Boring 1:30 half-marathon goal update:

I've moved up from 30-33 MPW to 45-50 in the past 2 months. I started running everyday since my last race, tomorrow will be day #50 in a row at a minimum of 5-miles per session (my personal best, next closest is maybe 8 days in a row).

I'm finishing up Jack Daniel's phase 3 this week. I've spent 4-weeks in phase 2, 4-weeks in phase 3, and I'll spend 4-weeks in phase 4 into my race next month. (From this book: http://www.amazon.com/Daniels-Running-Fo...sin=B00F0X7U2S)

Feeling pretty strong, I feel confident hopeful about holding a 6:45-6:50 pace for my half to come in under my 1:30 goal. I'm debating doing a 10k on Feb 8th as a rust buster and to get more experience racing in general as a lead-in to my race on Feb 28. I could practice running at/slightly faster than my goal pace and see how it goes... think I just talked myself into it. \:\)

For my easy and long days I've been sticking with my GT-2000 2's:
http://www.runningwarehouse.com/ASICS_GT_2000_2/descpage-A2K2M3.html
but for my speedwork days I tried switching to something a little bit lighter, Gel Electro33:
http://www.runningwarehouse.com/ASICS_Gel_Electro33/descpage-AEL33M1.html

I "think" I'm going to use the Electros for the actual race. They do feel a bit lighter, definitely less cushy. I'm hoping that might help out a little bit to hit my goal too.

Anywho, just my $0.02
Any advice/suggestions are appreciated as always!

#8064560 - 01/27/15 08:16 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: SJP0tato]
stickaz_old Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Nor Cal, Hella hurr durr
sick dude

#8064574 - 01/27/15 08:30 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: stickaz_old]
Lividentity Offline
Major Member

Loc: Gehenna
How heavy does the Olympus feel? They show at 11oz and the Repetition is 11.1oz. I was worried they might feel heavy and not have good air flow. The 1340's I did the race in are 13.1oz and I could feel that they were a heavy show and in 50 degree weather my feet were hot. Makes me tepid to try them, the Provision is 9.8oz which is much better but nothing compared to The One which is a whole 5.9oz and feels like nothing.

SJ, great job man! A 1:30 half is ridiculous to me, lol. Get into a smaller race and you could even win it with that kind of pace.

#8064590 - 01/27/15 08:45 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: SJP0tato]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

This fool right here...doing it right. Wanna be fast? Train hard and fast.

Oh, and I say you deserve some racing flats. When I ran my PR half, 5k and 10ks I did them in racing flats. I rarely trained in them so I felt way faster on race day with those 6oz suckers on my feet. You might be sore afterwards, but the glory will make up for it. \:D

Originally Posted By: SJP0tato
Boring 1:30 half-marathon goal update:

I've moved up from 30-33 MPW to 45-50 in the past 2 months. I started running everyday since my last race, tomorrow will be day #50 in a row at a minimum of 5-miles per session (my personal best, next closest is maybe 8 days in a row).

I'm finishing up Jack Daniel's phase 3 this week. I've spent 4-weeks in phase 2, 4-weeks in phase 3, and I'll spend 4-weeks in phase 4 into my race next month. (From this book: http://www.amazon.com/Daniels-Running-Fo...sin=B00F0X7U2S)

Feeling pretty strong, I feel confident hopeful about holding a 6:45-6:50 pace for my half to come in under my 1:30 goal. I'm debating doing a 10k on Feb 8th as a rust buster and to get more experience racing in general as a lead-in to my race on Feb 28. I could practice running at/slightly faster than my goal pace and see how it goes... think I just talked myself into it. \:\)

For my easy and long days I've been sticking with my GT-2000 2's:
http://www.runningwarehouse.com/ASICS_GT_2000_2/descpage-A2K2M3.html
but for my speedwork days I tried switching to something a little bit lighter, Gel Electro33:
http://www.runningwarehouse.com/ASICS_Gel_Electro33/descpage-AEL33M1.html

I "think" I'm going to use the Electros for the actual race. They do feel a bit lighter, definitely less cushy. I'm hoping that might help out a little bit to hit my goal too.

Anywho, just my $0.02
Any advice/suggestions are appreciated as always!

#8064592 - 01/27/15 08:48 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Lividentity]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: Lividentity
How heavy does the Olympus feel? They show at 11oz and the Repetition is 11.1oz. I was worried they might feel heavy and not have good air flow. The 1340's I did the race in are 13.1oz and I could feel that they were a heavy show and in 50 degree weather my feet were hot. Makes me tepid to try them, the Provision is 9.8oz which is much better but nothing compared to The One which is a whole 5.9oz and feels like nothing.

SJ, great job man! A 1:30 half is ridiculous to me, lol. Get into a smaller race and you could even win it with that kind of pace.

They aren't noticeably heavy at all to me...of course I wear them when I do longer miles on the trail, never on the road, so my paces are generally slower. The lack of fatigue of soreness after a hard effort was worth any weight penalty. I wore two pairs at Leadville as well as my 50 miler at TNF.

If I were in the market for a cushioned road shoe Id absolutely be looking at the Hoka Conquest. I've heard notothing but great things about them.

Edited by Mrs. Ironmom (01/27/15 08:50 PM)

#8064615 - 01/27/15 09:12 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Sir Ironpool]
SJP0tato Offline

Thanks guys, yeah if I could nail 1:29:30 it'd have netted a cool 13/14th place finish in my last small half (maybe 600 people total in the half).
The Phoenix half marathon coming up has a ton of racers and top talent, so I'd probably be lucky to be near 50th place (but I'd be happy to take it). \:\)

Ironmom: good call with the racing flats, I know almost nothing about 'em. I'll have to swing by the running store & see what they've got, any suggestions?

#8064627 - 01/27/15 09:24 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: SJP0tato]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

I ran in the KSwiss flats, but I don't think they're making them anymore. Id look at the Brooks T7, or the Aasics Hyper Speed (since you already run in their shoes). Anything in the 6oz range you'll notice a difference. Oh, and generally they should fit snug.

#8064630 - 01/27/15 09:26 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Sir Ironpool]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

1:30 is an awesome benchmark! I think you've got it no problem. The 1/2 is short enough that you can really ride that race day excitement for most of the race...then you just gotta hang on, lol.

Damn...all this talk makes me want to sign up for one. It was 2 years ago when I raced my last one, and I came up just short at 1:30:29.

#8064663 - 01/27/15 09:47 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Sir Ironpool]
SJP0tato Offline

Originally Posted By: Mrs. Ironmom
1:30 is an awesome benchmark! I think you've got it no problem. The 1/2 is short enough that you can really ride that race day excitement for most of the race...then you just gotta hang on, lol.

Damn...all this talk makes me want to sign up for one. It was 2 years ago when I raced my last one, and I came up just short at 1:30:29.

Do it! It's the longest distance (well, only distance actually) I've raced, but it feels like you can go out decently fast, give it 99.9% effort, and make it to the end still alive. \:\)

That said I'm looking at bumping up to full marathon distance training over the summer, to try my first one late this fall when things cool down again. Hoping it'll be as much fun as the past 1.5 years building up the half has been. I have a "secret" goal of one day finishing under 3 hours, but I can't even make the claim until after I run my first and see how it shakes out.

#8064704 - 01/27/15 10:11 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: SJP0tato]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

Yeah, it's good to have goals to keep reaching for. \:\) the marathon is fun to race too...just requires a whole different plan of attack.

I don't think I'll be looking to better my 3:08 PR at Boston, but I would like to requalify...and I'll have aged up to 40 by then so I get an extra 5 minutes. \:D

#8065029 - 01/28/15 09:07 AM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Sir Ironpool]
Lividentity Offline
Major Member

Loc: Gehenna
Thanks for the info on the shoes. I tried on a pair of Hoka's at the running store but the toe box wasn't wide enough, and it bugged me to feel it on the side of my foot, lol.

I also ran in Injinji socks for the first time yesterday. I kinda like them once they wore in a little, at first I could feel it under my one toe but then they smoothed out or whatever and felt pretty good.

Will be trying out the Saucony Cortana tonight so hopefully the run goes well!

#8065757 - 01/28/15 01:52 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Lividentity]
Design Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: The OC
Sub-1:30 is an awesome goal. You guys would totally kill it. Chris - if you go for a half be sure to hit me up. No, I won't run your pace but would love to join in one of your "sensible" races. \:D

I had been mentioning that my right calf was hurting the last week or so. Turns out the shoe lift is to blame. Getting some pops on the right hip/knee (normal) but it's aggravating the IT band too much with the heavy mileage. So I was recommended to ditch the shoe lift until the marathon is done. Ran an easy three miles yesterday and things are feeling a lot better. Will report back at the end of the week.
89 Camaro - Sold
CSI. What's your diversion?

#8065838 - 01/28/15 02:26 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Design]
stickaz_old Offline
Post Master Supreme

just in case any "slow types" are reading I'll push this thread the other direction.

5 mile jog yesterday, no biggee, over little woopty-do hills [20' or so?] probably about 18 net climbs. strava recorded zero elevation [net elevation was flat but it was kinda like a stadium workout, pinky-swear] Worried about my SF 1/2 in ~8 weeks so I figure any hill stuff is something I should do [san jose is flat as fuck]

anyways: dun-dun-dun

averaged ~9:50/mile pace and I was working pretty hard (!) lol
was trying to follow the hal-higdon 1/2 interm. guide for my 'slow tues' run. Probably should have worn an HRM but I'm sure I blew the guideline for 'slow' and went to fast[HR/effort based].

anyways what surprises me was how hard it was to do those little bitchy hills hahah

/slowest person in thread

#8066293 - 01/28/15 06:49 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: stickaz_old]
Cheesegoggles Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Here
Probably going to try to run this weekend. Had some issues from my marathon. Or maybe from walking all over Disney World for six straight days after immediately following the marathon. Anyway, diagnosed myself with shin splints but seem almost ready.

Work will be crazy busy until mid March. Then need to start training for a half.

#8066351 - 01/28/15 07:34 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Cheesegoggles]
stickaz_old Offline
Post Master Supreme

thats fine, just dont put up any ridiculous 5k's and we can still be strava buddies \:\|

#8066373 - 01/28/15 08:04 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: stickaz_old]
Cheesegoggles Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Here
 Originally Posted By: zakcits
thats fine, just dont put up any ridiculous 5k's and we can still be strava buddies \:\|

Oh no that will definitely part of the plan

#8066480 - 01/28/15 09:25 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Cheesegoggles]
stickaz_old Offline
Post Master Supreme

Every time I try to PR a 5k some bullshit or other happens on mile 1, wtf. Like I go out too fast, something starts hurting, oh look a squirrel, etc

#8066950 - 01/29/15 10:02 AM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: stickaz_old]
Impulsive Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Edmonton
I've never tried a fast 5K. I would think it would be horrible and I'd be terrible at it. It's not a pace I've ever run at.

#8067109 - 01/29/15 11:05 AM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Impulsive]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

It's SUCKS! Lol, you feel like you're going to die from start to finish.

I ran my 5k PR 2 years ago at the race they have the day before the Boston Marathon. It's on the flat streets around the finish line. Only race where I came close to puking!

#8067131 - 01/29/15 11:09 AM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Sir Ironpool]
Impulsive Offline
Post Master Supreme

So I will continue not to do it \:\)

#8067164 - 01/29/15 11:19 AM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Impulsive]
stickaz_old Offline
Post Master Supreme

Or just do it like I do, always find some reason to glance down at your gps watch and go 'yeah, I'm too far off my pr pace now, pointless' and roll it into some mile repeats

*i don't want to admit how many times that has happened to me

#8067209 - 01/29/15 11:35 AM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: stickaz_old]
dirtyS13drifta
Unregistered

A running group had weekly 5kms with a beer at the end in my last city. STopwatch timing, but the same course every week(well unless there were detours). I skipped it 75% of the time, but I did it here and there. It was fun to look forward to and improve. $5 for the race/beer, and drawings most week with schwag(I think I got a water bottle, woot).

I wish I could find that in this city.

#8067232 - 01/29/15 11:45 AM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: ]
Design Offline
Post Master Supreme

We have a couple groups out here for that. The big one in OC is Snail's Pace. But I'm way too busy to join until maybe Summer. Everyone I have met from that group has been super chill.
89 Camaro - Sold

#8067258 - 01/29/15 11:58 AM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: stickaz_old]
Impulsive Offline
Post Master Supreme

Or just do it like I do, always find some reason to glance down at your gps watch and go 'yeah, I'm too far off my pr pace now, pointless' and roll it into some mile repeats

*i don't want to admit how many times that has happened to me

The one time I ran a 48:XX 10k, I just started running, noted my pace was just over 5:00/km, so I upped it a touch and aimed for a 4:50 or so pace.

In winter, not sure if it's traction based (slippery even with spikes), fatigue based, or just shitty do to extra clothing, I'm not able to sustain a 5:00 pace for long periods.

I tend to just run to how I feel. I have wild swings some days. Ran 7.5 miles pretty easily yesterday, the day after heavy squats with some very sore legs. But on Sunday, the same run, I struggled the entire time.

#8067859 - 01/29/15 04:29 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Impulsive]
stickaz_old Offline
Post Master Supreme

not that I have any business comparing myself to someone with a gold medal and a 5k PR of like 13:00 there's always this attitude to consider...

Quote:

"I haven't seen too many American distance men on the international scene willing to take risks. I saw some U.S. women in Barcelona willing to risk, more than men. The Kenyans risk. Steve Prefontaine risked. I risked--I went through the first half of the Tokyo race just a second off my best 5000 time."
Billy Mills, gold medal winner of the 10,000 at the 1964 Tokyo Olympics with a 46-second PR.

[I'd love to break 50:00 in a 10k heh, screw this 27/28 minute stuff lol]

#8067933 - 01/29/15 05:09 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: stickaz_old]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

Pre was the fucking man.

#8067966 - 01/29/15 05:29 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Sir Ironpool]
dirtyS13drifta
Unregistered

could just do what I did on my 10k informal attempt, do the math wrong and stop running at 6.1miles....
Doh

#8067985 - 01/29/15 05:35 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Sir Ironpool]
stickaz_old Offline
Post Master Supreme

I've always been more interested in Mills. Pure emotion, and all that shit he had to go through to even become an athlete let alone stay one

plus his last act was a WR not DD \:\|

#8068008 - 01/29/15 05:48 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: stickaz_old]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

Both are legends, but Pre's stache and hair put him over the top for me. \:D

Rod Dixon is my latest hero though:

#8068010 - 01/29/15 05:50 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Sir Ironpool]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

Amazing!
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=llfcZUyTJGA

#8068029 - 01/29/15 06:03 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Sir Ironpool]
stickaz_old Offline
Post Master Supreme

didnt you just describe like 50% of the male 30-44 population in Oregon?

#8068035 - 01/29/15 06:07 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: stickaz_old]
dirtyS13drifta
Unregistered

didnt you just describe like 50% of the male 30-44 population in Oregon?

100% baby!

#8070173 - 01/31/15 12:53 AM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: ]
Design Offline
Post Master Supreme

Is it sad that I haven't heard of half these runners? Yep, still a complete noob here.

Wrapped up another week with an 11 mile run @ 96:22. Missed Sunday's training day and half of Tuesday's. But tonight felt great. Next week's mileage will kick up to 38-40. So far the legs are holding up fine. Will report back next week.
89 Camaro - Sold

#8070446 - 01/31/15 01:14 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Design]
Rudi Offline

Any good ideas on how to go faster downhill without knees killing the next day? I generally use the the downhill to catch my breath after a steep incline and go at a slow pace. On a new route i discovered it goes from flat terrain to steep downhill. Strategies? Techniques? Or just tell me im getting older and deal with knee pain or going slow lol?
Page 106 of 148 « First<104105106107108>Last »

Moderator:  Silock, Professor Paki 
Hop to:
Shout Box

CSi Sponsors

DiGBiC Lighters
DiGBiC Lighters
DallasColo
Dallas Colocation
ClubSi.com Shirts
ClubSi-Shirts
GameStop
Black-Friday Specials
Big Brake Kits
StopTech.Sale BBK Clearance
Brake Kits
Buy Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
BuyBrakes
Brake Kits-Pads & Rotors Sets
StopTech Brake Kits
StopTech
StopTech NZ
StopTech
StopTech Australia
StopTech
Hawk Brake Pads
Hawk Brake Pads
Samys Camera
GoPros, Cameras, Gear
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Pad Coupons
Coupon Code "hondafetish"
Porsche Brakes
Porsche Brake Upgrades
2-Piece Rotors-Civic Type-R
2-Piece Civic Rotors
Advertisement

| Brake Pads | | How To Change Brake Pads | | Drilled Slotted Brake Kits Cheap | EBC Brake Kits | Performance Brake Kits | Brake Specials Near Me | How To Replace Brake Pads