Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#7984628 - 11/28/14 02:13 PM what's the deal with washing your car in winter?
titty sprinkles Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Toronto,Ontario
so many rumors about this, but are you supposed to wash your car frequently in winter? around my house there's a bunch of those good touchless car washes, i was thinking about getting one of those passes that let you wash it once a day or something.

i also hear that washing is bad in winter because the water gets all salty and creeps into all the crevices and shit, so what's the deal?

#7984641 - 11/28/14 02:26 PM Re: what's the deal with washing your car in winter? [Re: titty sprinkles]
spnx Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: Canada
There's no problem with not washing your car as long as the temperature is below freezing. Once it rises, all that salt accelerates rusting.

It's so cold here, I don't wash my car at all in the winter. It's usually October, then 5 or 6 months later. You can't do that in Toronto and expect your car to last though.

#7984647 - 11/28/14 02:32 PM Re: what's the deal with washing your car in winter? [Re: spnx]
phoenixrage Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: People's Republic of Ontario
Wasn't the thing about water getting into chips/cracks, and then freezing (which causes water to expand), which then potentially makes the cracks/chips bigger? - This assuming temp is consistently below freezing.

#7984665 - 11/28/14 02:49 PM Re: what's the deal with washing your car in winter? [Re: phoenixrage]
spnx Offline
Post Master Sr

Sounds like bullshit to me.
#7984674 - 11/28/14 02:56 PM Re: what's the deal with washing your car in winter? [Re: spnx]
porschetr Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: WBridge
Dirty car < Clean car
Enough reason to get washed.
And none of you will keep your car long enough to see the effect of these said rumors.

#7984675 - 11/28/14 02:57 PM Re: what's the deal with washing your car in winter? [Re: spnx]
Euphoricuck Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Canadistan
I subscribe to minimal car washing in the winter. No need to introduce more salty water to places.

and anecdotally Ive had friends who have experimented between the two regimens and found more rust on the cars that they continually washed.

Id rust proof it and leave it alone till spring. The odd wash is fine but no way I would spray water on it daily for no reason. The paint is protected ...so just leave it. You wouldnt wash your car every day in the summer.

its winter, shit gets dirty. Concentrate any ocd tendencies on something else.

#7984678 - 11/28/14 02:57 PM Re: what's the deal with washing your car in winter? [Re: porschetr]
Euphoricuck Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Canadistan
 Originally Posted By: porschetr

And none of you will keep your car long enough to see the effect of these said rumors.

ok...

#7984679 - 11/28/14 02:58 PM Re: what's the deal with washing your car in winter? [Re: Euphoricuck]
titty sprinkles Offline
Post Master Supreme

maybe not every day but perhaps once a week? once every two weeks?

#7984680 - 11/28/14 03:02 PM Re: what's the deal with washing your car in winter? [Re: titty sprinkles]
Screamin Type ARGH! Offline
High Value Poster
Post Master Supreme

Loc: T.O. - Canaduh
ideally you FOR SURE want to do it as spring rolls in with warmer temps starting to show up. like euph said, you can get away with not doing it when it's cold all winter, but when it warms up you're best to do it asap and multiple times.

mind you it's not going to rust the crap out of the car if you do wash during the winter. our work ones we do weekly (but we of course get rid of them after 1 yr) so who knows how they end up after long term. at least they're not as bad as earlier cars.

"Ban low performance drivers, not high performance cars"

#7984690 - 11/28/14 03:14 PM Re: what's the deal with washing your car in winter? [Re: Screamin Type ARGH!]
JEFFOS Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Toronto
I wash it around once a week - either touchless or coin op

#7984694 - 11/28/14 03:18 PM Re: what's the deal with washing your car in winter? [Re: JEFFOS]
xza8 Offline
Sr Member

Can barely keep my car for over a year... so I wash it every day (or every other).

But first, you should Opti Coat so that the clearcoat is protected as Opti Coat is not removed chemically, only by abrasion.

I feel so guilty using soft cloth as I've used touchless for 10+ years but this time, I got white cars so the swirl marks are less noticeable.

#7984712 - 11/28/14 03:39 PM Re: what's the deal with washing your car in winter? [Re: xza8]
Wildout Offline
Post Master Jr

I actually did this test over the last 6 years with my brother in law. I rust-proofed my car and washed it weekly and he never rust-proofed his car and never washed it.

His car as no rust except for where a rock chip has gone through the paint, where as mine is forming.

So this year I'm rust proofing and no more pressured washes. Only a wash by hand when needed.

#7984714 - 11/28/14 03:41 PM Re: what's the deal with washing your car in winter? [Re: Wildout]
Risky Business Offline
Provides a Great Work Environment. he/him
Post Master Supreme

I rust proof every two years and rarely wash in the winter...maybe once a month if it's one of those nicer/warmer days we tend to get here and there. Otherwise I simply don't care when I know it will be clean for a day tops.

Some people say not washing it frequently in the winter and leaving the salt on eats through the clearcoat...starting to think that's an old wives' tale.

#7984755 - 11/28/14 04:11 PM Re: what's the deal with washing your car in winter? [Re: Risky Business]
Hatorade Offline
pheggit
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Toronto, ON
I've had my beater for almost 3 years. Never been washed since I have had it and still no rust in the quarters. I'm voting for not washing till spring if you care about your car

'07 997.1 GT3
'08 E90 M3
'11 E90 d
'02 Rota Grid - 195-55-16FR (RIP)
'04 Volk GTC - 245-35-19F/275-35-19R (Sold to a farm boi)
I thought Spark was a robot from the old movie and I kind of remember seeing him telling some engineer showing the equation for a clear metal that the guy would event years later - porschetr

#7984933 - 11/28/14 08:08 PM Re: what's the deal with washing your car in winter? [Re: Hatorade]
hyper-s2k Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: T dot O dot, Canada
I only wash it when it's closer to zero or warmer and when the car is really dirty where it feels grimy just opening and closing the door.
'03 s2k - now @ 80,xxx km - a2a car
'08 535i - sold @ 149,421 km - cashed out just in time!
'08 impreza 2.5i - sold @ - 64,147 km - smh POS
'01 rav4 - killed @ 155,879 km - RIP old friend

"Driving in the snow is like sex. If you want to avoid accidents, abstinence is the best policy. If you're gonna take her for a spin, use protection." - Rick Mercer

#7984961 - 11/28/14 08:41 PM Re: what's the deal with washing your car in winter? [Re: hyper-s2k]
4age Offline
XD XD XD XD
Post Master Sr

Loc: North York, Ontario, Canada
I also do not wash in winter.
No point--it'll get dirty again anyway. FWIW there was a time where I had a car that I'd wash near daily (every other day or something!) and after 1 winter, I had accellerated rust. Since then, I do not bother.

but also, this is the first time I have a car that I drive year round in........6 years XD

XD XD XD XD

#7985072 - 11/28/14 11:05 PM Re: what's the deal with washing your car in winter? [Re: porschetr]
spnx Offline
Post Master Sr

Originally Posted By: porschetr
Dirty car < Clean car
Enough reason to get washed.

Um:

1. DD car - 14 years old
2. track car - 22 years old
3. street car - 20 years old
4. other, still being restored car - 52 years old

#7985306 - 11/29/14 12:02 PM Re: what's the deal with washing your car in winter? [Re: spnx]
phoenixrage Offline
Post Master Supreme

This year I have access to an indoor car wash... so I may wash it a couple times this year. I just washed it yesterday.

#7985518 - 11/29/14 03:56 PM Re: what's the deal with washing your car in winter? [Re: phoenixrage]
titty sprinkles Offline
Post Master Supreme

^that too. My moms condo has a car wash bay, so I can wash it there too, I just cringe when the car is caked with salt.

#7985589 - 11/29/14 05:22 PM Re: what's the deal with washing your car in winter? [Re: titty sprinkles]
Risky Business Offline
Provides a Great Work Environment. he/him
Post Master Supreme

Just wash it then. Honestly debating this is like splitting hairs, I've yet to see convincing info for either or. If you like driving a clean car, then clean it, if you don't care, forget it. It's not like the action you take now will start rust tomorrow.

Auto manufacturers have come a long way when it comes to rust (Mazda being the exception). They don't rust as easy, just have your car sprayed at Reg's every 2 years and call it a day.

#7985605 - 11/29/14 05:48 PM Re: what's the deal with washing your car in winter? [Re: Risky Business]
furball Offline
Post Master Sr

One point people who responded didn't seem to take into account..

If you do/don't wash it... Do you keep the car in the garage vs outside in freezing temps? i.e. if it's >0C in the garage, the snow will melt...

I'll wash the EL once every week or so at the coin op (just a spray), rust proof annually, and park it in the garage. (Also have a tarp on the floor in the garage; the concrete isn't 'sealed'.)

#7985716 - 11/29/14 08:39 PM Re: what's the deal with washing your car in winter? [Re: furball]
Raocorp Offline
Cougar Slayer
Post Master Sr

Loc: Toronto
im not much of a winter washer either.
Only wash maybe 2-3 times during the winter. Usually a few days after we've had snow on the ground for an extended period and the car is salt stained white. Usually gets my jacket dirty so thats why I wash on those days. I hate when the car is completely filthy.

Cars rust....I couldn't really care any less.

#7985732 - 11/29/14 08:52 PM Re: what's the deal with washing your car in winter? [Re: Raocorp]
Hatorade Offline
pheggit
Post Master Supreme

If you don't care about rust drive a Mazda lol

'07 997.1 GT3
'08 E90 M3
'11 E90 d
'02 Rota Grid - 195-55-16FR (RIP)
'04 Volk GTC - 245-35-19F/275-35-19R (Sold to a farm boi)
I thought Spark was a robot from the old movie and I kind of remember seeing him telling some engineer showing the equation for a clear metal that the guy would event years later - porschetr

#7986756 - 11/30/14 09:11 PM Re: what's the deal with washing your car in winter? [Re: Hatorade]
phoenixrage Offline
Post Master Supreme

I park outside... also, I don't use the power washer at the wash bay.

#7987108 - 12/01/14 09:33 AM Re: what's the deal with washing your car in winter? [Re: phoenixrage]
1300cc_Rocket Offline
Post Master Jr

Loc: Ontario
I used to wash my SiR in the winter after almost every salt exposure. But a few years ago when I had the quarter panel interior panel off the car for something I noticed there was still rust forming, from the inside out on the rear wheel arch. This is when I smartened up and put oil in there along with every other panel. I also stopped washing it, except for when the weather climbs to above freezing. or when it is REALLY BAD.

Washing is going to do nothing to clean the the welds in between panels, it will probably even make it worse because hot water creates moisture on cold days.

No brands are immune to rust but some are obviously much better than others. I think it has to do with metal quality and treatment at the factories. I do notice that Japanese made Hondas/Acuras from the turn of the century are a little worse off than the domestic made Honda's.

Mazda's have always been bad. To start they use very thin sheet-metal, and there is perhaps something they aren't doing to treat the metal. Recently They are using glue on the rear quarters instead of welds, but time will tell if they have other things to prevent rust. They have extended their rust warranty quite a bit, which i know could mean nothing if they just deny your claim unless there are holes. This being said, I just bought a slightly used '13 Mazda that had never seen salt. I blasted T40 in all the panels through factory existing holes (you never need to drill if you aren't lazy) and had the underside coated with a thicker oil that doesn't dry. We will see how it holds up. Price I paid for the little car, leaves me with very little to worry about if it does rot in 10 years.

Risky, not much to worry about the TL, in my line of work I have seen quarter panel cuts with zero rust inside the rocker panels on a 10 year old used part. Acura's are pretty rust resistant.

#7987325 - 12/01/14 11:29 AM Re: what's the deal with washing your car in winter? [Re: 1300cc_Rocket]
LNXGUY Moderator Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Barrie, Ont,
Washing in the winter is a waste of time. You'll never get all that salt off.

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  c2k, LNXGUY, TheRealCSnapper, Professor Paki 
Hop to:
Shout Box

CSi Sponsors

DiGBiC Lighters
DiGBiC Lighters
DallasColo
Dallas Colocation
ClubSi.com Shirts
ClubSi-Shirts
GameStop
Black-Friday Specials
Big Brake Kits
StopTech.Sale BBK Clearance
Brake Kits
Buy Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
BuyBrakes
Brake Kits-Pads & Rotors Sets
StopTech Brake Kits
StopTech
StopTech NZ
StopTech
StopTech Australia
StopTech
Hawk Brake Pads
Hawk Brake Pads
Samys Camera
GoPros, Cameras, Gear
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Pad Coupons
Coupon Code "hondafetish"
Porsche Brakes
Porsche Brake Upgrades
2-Piece Rotors-Civic Type-R
2-Piece Civic Rotors
Advertisement

| Brake Pads | | How To Change Brake Pads | | Drilled Slotted Brake Kits Cheap | EBC Brake Kits | Performance Brake Kits | Brake Specials Near Me | How To Replace Brake Pads