Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#7864818 - 09/14/14 11:08 PM How do you resize your photos for web use?
tylerdurden Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Shyea, like I'm telling you
I'm trying to figure out why full size photos viewed at 25% or 50% in PS look so much sharper than photos resized what would approximate that size on screen later (sorry if that's unclear, but let's say you're viewing a raw file at 25% taking up x amount of real estate on my display, then resizing the photo to take up the same amount of screen real estate at 100%). I look at photos on sites like olafphotoblog.com or fujivsfuji.com and see how sharp they look resized to 1500px on the long edge and when I do it with my photos they lose so much sharpness and still don't look as good as those sites even with a second round of sharpening post resize. I've resized using Image Size in PS (using Bicubic Sharper, turns out OK), Save for Web in PS (looks like piss, usually), and using export in LR playing with DPI (I know this shouldn't matter for screen display, but I tried anyway), but they still suffer quite a bit in the resize. So far my best results are with LR exporting with sharpening for screen which is pretty close but not quite to the quality I'm seeing on those sites I referenced. What am I doing wrong?
Visit Sponsors! Help CSi !
#7865891 - 09/15/14 01:24 PM Re: How do you resize your photos for web use? [Re: tylerdurden]
tenplanescrashing
Unregistered

I read an article from a well known photographer about how he does it and will give you the shorthand version below (if I find the article, i'll link it)

1. Edit your photos to your liking first (no sharpening)
2. Resize your photos to the final output size
3. Apply sharpening to resized image

If you use Save for Web in PS, keep it above 80% quality. You'll still have a much smaller file size without much loss in quality.

So for me, with Lightroom, I usually edit the photos to my liking then export them as full-res images. Any that I plan to post online will get copied to a !Resized folder then i'll drop them into Photoshop, resize, apply sharpening, save for web and done.

#7865978 - 09/15/14 01:47 PM Re: How do you resize your photos for web use? [Re: ]
tylerdurden Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Shyea, like I'm telling you
Do you apply sharpening in ACR?
#7866212 - 09/15/14 03:20 PM Re: How do you resize your photos for web use? [Re: tylerdurden]
tenplanescrashing
Unregistered

I don't use it.

I use unsharp mask in photoshop

#7866419 - 09/15/14 05:04 PM Re: How do you resize your photos for web use? [Re: ]
scootergeek Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: East of St. Louis
I resize by choosing the long side (usually 1024), then I change "document size" to percent and then change resolution to 96 pixels/inch (which takes it just above monitor resolutions). Then sharpen. Then save the .jpeg at 10 quality (basically the lowest of the high quality levels).

All this minimizes size and makes it very difficult to steal in any print media way while it still looks good online. And then they get fucked by flickr.

#7866450 - 09/15/14 05:15 PM Re: How do you resize your photos for web use? [Re: tylerdurden]
chef Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: The OC
i think you're supposed to adjust the check boxes on the bottom of the image size dialog box whether you're upscaling or downscaling. Viewing a file at 25% or 50% or 62% has always looked different since PS6 or whatever it was when I started using it, but I haven't really bothered paying attention to actual photo output until recently.
Order my photo prints (New files uploaded)

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  jsmonet, x, 2000SiRacer, Professor Paki 
Hop to:
Shout Box

CSi Sponsors

DiGBiC Lighters
DiGBiC Lighters
DallasColo
Dallas Colocation
ClubSi.com Shirts
ClubSi-Shirts
GameStop
Black-Friday Specials
Big Brake Kits
StopTech.Sale BBK Clearance
Brake Kits
Buy Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
BuyBrakes
Brake Kits-Pads & Rotors Sets
StopTech Brake Kits
StopTech
StopTech NZ
StopTech
StopTech Australia
StopTech
Hawk Brake Pads
Hawk Brake Pads
Samys Camera
GoPros, Cameras, Gear
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Pad Coupons
Coupon Code "hondafetish"
Porsche Brakes
Porsche Brake Upgrades
2-Piece Rotors-Civic Type-R
2-Piece Civic Rotors
Advertisement

| Brake Pads | | How To Change Brake Pads | | Drilled Slotted Brake Kits Cheap | EBC Brake Kits | Performance Brake Kits | Brake Specials Near Me | How To Replace Brake Pads