Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#7834464 - 08/26/14 08:36 AM Texting while driving = $1k + 3 pts this fall...
furball Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: Toronto, ON
http://www.thestar.com/news/queenspark/2...3_demerits.html

Quote:
Drivers who text behind the wheel face fines of up to $1,000 and three demerit points under tough new provincial legislation coming this fall.
Transportation Minister Steven Del Duca said the sweeping law aimed at curbing distracted driving will be introduced after the legislature resumes Oct. 20.
“It’s an increase on the fines and also the demerit points,” Del Duca said in an interview Monday.
In fact, scofflaws in Ontario would be slapped with the stiffest penalties in Canada for talking or texting on handheld cellphones while driving.
“We’ve seen tremendous improvements over the years about impaired driving. We definitely do have to raise awareness — particularly amongst younger drivers — with respect to texting and driving and distracted driving,” the minister said.
“Part of it is increasing the fines, part of it is the demerit points and part of it is obviously a very aggressive, robust public awareness campaign to make sure people understand about the dangers.”
Del Duca said Premier Kathleen Wynne’s government plans to revive a bill introduced last March by his predecessor Glen Murray that failed to pass before the June 12 election.
“I look forward to reintroducing this legislation and getting it passed as soon as possible. I think it has broad support in the legislature — it certainly seemed to when it was introduced last time.”
Ontario Provincial Police Commissioner Vince Hawkes told the Star that distracted-driving deaths have surpassed those caused by impaired driving.
Last year, distracted driving contributed to the deaths of 78 people compared to 57 for impaired driving and 44 for accidents related to speeding.
“It is a huge loss of life. It is such a waste. It’s one of those things it is frustrating to see,” the province’s top cop said.
Hawkes noted Monday that his officers will be conducting a blitz against distracted drivers this Labour Day long weekend on Ontario’s 400 series highways.
The OPP laid 19,000 distracted-driving charges in 2013, up from 16,000 the year before.
Toronto police laid 55,000 distracted driving charges between 2010 and 2012 and at least three auto-related deaths over the past two years are blamed on cellphone use.
Del Duca’s bill would hike fines from the $60 to $500 range to between $300 and $1,000 and three demerit points. Currently no points are accumulated for using a smartphone while driving.
By comparison, in British Columbia, fines are up to $167 plus three demerit points; in Alberta it’s $172 with no points; in Quebec, it’s between $115 to $154 and three points; and in New Brunswick, it’s $172.50 and three points.
The proposed legislation would also impose similar sanctions for drivers who door cyclists.
A motorist convicted of injuring a bike rider with their car door would see the fine go from the $60 to $500 range to between $300 and $1,000 and three demerit points instead of two.
The demerit points could prove most costly for motorists as they can affect auto insurance rates.
An experienced driver who accumulates between two and eight points will be sent a warning letter; nine to 14 points could lead to an interview with Ministry of Transportation officials and a possible licence suspension.
Fifteen or more points will lead to the loss of a licence for 30 days.
Demerit points are even more punitive for new drivers.
Two to five points leads to a warning letter; six to eight to an interview or suspension; and nine or more points to the loss of driving privileges for 60 days.
Del Duca’s legislation is also expected to force drivers to maintain a one-metre distance when passing cyclists.
As well, it would require motorists to wait at school crossings and other crosswalks until pedestrians have completely traversed the width of the roadway.
Last February, Annemarie Bonkalo, chief justice of the Ontario Court of Justice, issued a judicial order raising distracted driving fines for the first time since 2009.
At the time, the chief justice’s office said she upped the penalty “in light of the significant public interest in encouraging driver safety.”

Edited by FurBalls (08/26/14 08:37 AM)

#7834469 - 08/26/14 08:39 AM Re: Texting while driving = $1k + 3 pts this fall... [Re: furball]
c2k Moderator Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Wiesloch-Walldorf, Germany
till the day it becomes a law is the day I dance in joy.

#7834479 - 08/26/14 08:46 AM Re: Texting while driving = $1k + 3 pts this fall... [Re: c2k]
LNXGUY Moderator Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Barrie, Ont,
I've tried to txt when I drive, and man it really isn't safe

#7834480 - 08/26/14 08:47 AM Re: Texting while driving = $1k + 3 pts this fall... [Re: c2k]
Choco 'Nuck Offline
Proud Member of BLM
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Somewhere out there
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DE4vccbX8bM

Yup....
Asian woman - Check
Beige civic - Check
Hand holding phone - Check
ZOMG....

#7834494 - 08/26/14 08:56 AM Re: Texting while driving = $1k + 3 pts this fall... [Re: Choco 'Nuck]
Euphoricuck Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Canadistan
 Originally Posted By: Chocolate Canuck

Yup....
that lady is talking on speaker phone. not texting.

While I dont often text..im hesitant to blow the fines up like this. Id be onboard if they dropped the 50 over law and let us fucking drive.

#7834506 - 08/26/14 09:05 AM Re: Texting while driving = $1k + 3 pts this fall... [Re: Euphoricuck]
TheRealCSnapper Moderator Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Toronto, Canada
i'm sad that Risky business got busted and is now the poster boy
#7834522 - 08/26/14 09:15 AM Re: Texting while driving = $1k + 3 pts this fall... [Re: Euphoricuck]
Choco 'Nuck Offline
Proud Member of BLM
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Somewhere out there
 Originally Posted By: Euphoric
 Originally Posted By: Chocolate Canuck

Yup....
that lady is talking on speaker phone. not texting.

While I dont often text..im hesitant to blow the fines up like this. Id be onboard if they dropped the 50 over law and let us fucking drive.

One hand holding the phone, what do you think will happen if she has to do an emergency lane change to avoid an object on the road.

Originally Posted By: LNXGUY
I've tried to txt when I drive, and man it really isn't safe

Thats what Siri integration is for. Siri, send text to .....
and I can get the nav to read back the text hands free.

#7834523 - 08/26/14 09:16 AM Re: Texting while driving = $1k + 3 pts this fall... [Re: Choco 'Nuck]
Euphoricuck Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Canadistan

I made a one handed emergency lane change last week as some lady swerved hard right next to me. I shit trains bitch now what.

granted I was masturbating with the other hand not on the phone.

#7834524 - 08/26/14 09:17 AM Re: Texting while driving = $1k + 3 pts this fall... [Re: Euphoricuck]
LNXGUY Moderator Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Barrie, Ont,
I ain't baller enough for that shit!

#7834550 - 08/26/14 09:35 AM Re: Texting while driving = $1k + 3 pts this fall... [Re: LNXGUY]
iamfob Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Out There
I should start putting my phone in my trunk when I am driving. I am guilty sometime for checking messages

#7835344 - 08/26/14 03:06 PM Re: Texting while driving = $1k + 3 pts this fall... [Re: iamfob]
titty sprinkles Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Toronto,Ontario
^me too. i'm making a effort to stop that tho.

#7835540 - 08/26/14 04:50 PM Re: Texting while driving = $1k + 3 pts this fall... [Re: titty sprinkles]
hyper-s2k Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: T dot O dot, Canada
Too bad there's still the problem of just plain stupidity inducing accidents. Now if they slap a bigger fine for that, maybe there wouldn't be so many collisions.
'03 s2k - now @ 80,xxx km - a2a car
'08 535i - sold @ 149,421 km - cashed out just in time!
'08 impreza 2.5i - sold @ - 64,147 km - smh POS
'01 rav4 - killed @ 155,879 km - RIP old friend

"Driving in the snow is like sex. If you want to avoid accidents, abstinence is the best policy. If you're gonna take her for a spin, use protection." - Rick Mercer

#7836147 - 08/27/14 07:06 AM Re: Texting while driving = $1k + 3 pts this fall... [Re: hyper-s2k]
furball Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: Toronto, ON
Heard on the radio about a blitz with up to 10 undercover cars ...

Long weekend's a good time for that.

Stay safe...

\:\|

Originally Posted By: c_snapper
i'm sad that Risky business got busted and is now the poster boy

Edited by FurBalls (08/27/14 07:07 AM)

#7837390 - 08/27/14 07:38 PM Re: Texting while driving = $1k + 3 pts this fall... [Re: furball]
OracerO Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: GTA
I can't even stand people talking on their cell phones while driving. 100% of the time they almost cause an accident.
Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  c2k, LNXGUY, TheRealCSnapper, Professor Paki 
Hop to:
Shout Box

CSi Sponsors

DiGBiC Lighters
DiGBiC Lighters
DallasColo
Dallas Colocation
ClubSi.com Shirts
ClubSi-Shirts
GameStop
Black-Friday Specials
Big Brake Kits
StopTech.Sale BBK Clearance
Brake Kits
Buy Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
BuyBrakes
Brake Kits-Pads & Rotors Sets
StopTech Brake Kits
StopTech
StopTech NZ
StopTech
StopTech Australia
StopTech
Hawk Brake Pads
Hawk Brake Pads
Samys Camera
GoPros, Cameras, Gear
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Pad Coupons
Coupon Code "hondafetish"
Porsche Brakes
Porsche Brake Upgrades
2-Piece Rotors-Civic Type-R
2-Piece Civic Rotors
Advertisement

| Brake Pads | | How To Change Brake Pads | | Drilled Slotted Brake Kits Cheap | EBC Brake Kits | Performance Brake Kits | Brake Specials Near Me | How To Replace Brake Pads