Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#7727911 - 06/10/14 02:41 PM Almost all Sigma lenses on sale right now
ewraven Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Dept. of Ruminant Procurement
Looks like they discounted their lenses across the board at every retailer you look at. The only thing though, the new 18-35 F1.8 is not discounted. The rest are up to 200 dollars off though.

I hope I didn't make a mistake, I ordered the Sigma 150-500mm F/5-6.3 APO HSM DG for $869 dollars, which is 200 off the regular price. I am going to play with it outside a little bit and see if I like it. If I don't, I can always return it.

Visit Sponsors! Help CSi !
#7728167 - 06/10/14 04:36 PM Re: Almost all Sigma lenses on sale right now [Re: ewraven]
GSParker
Unregistered

Looks like it is mostly crop sensor lenses. Few FX ones have that discount.
#7731087 - 06/12/14 01:34 PM Re: Almost all Sigma lenses on sale right now [Re: ]
ewraven Offline
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: GSParker
Looks like it is mostly crop sensor lenses. Few FX ones have that discount.

Oh okay. That is too bad.

I got that Sigma 150-500mm today. Holy big lens BATMAN! My first impression is that the Optical stabilization works better than any I have ever used.

I called my local camera store, they put my name down to call me when they get their first shipment of Sigma 18-35 F1.8 lenses. I am going to see if I can trade in some of my other glass towards one.

#7731288 - 06/12/14 03:01 PM Re: Almost all Sigma lenses on sale right now [Re: ewraven]
skierd Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: Fairbanks, AK
Urge to order a Bigma, growing... fortunately tempered by my complete lack of need for it.

#7731707 - 06/12/14 06:44 PM Re: Almost all Sigma lenses on sale right now [Re: skierd]
ewraven Offline
Post Master Supreme

Well, unless your financial livelihood depends on it, none of us truly need anything. lol

I would love to have a Bigma, but it costs 800 dollars more than the 150-500 I just bought. I'd rather take that 800 dollars and buy one of the 18-35mm Sigma lenses.

#7734289 - 06/14/14 03:05 PM Re: Almost all Sigma lenses on sale right now [Re: skierd]
ewraven Offline
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: skierd
Urge to order a Bigma, growing... fortunately tempered by my complete lack of need for it.

WELLLLLL. I took ~1100 pictures today through that 150-500mm Sigma. I was on the San Marcos River taking pictures of the Texas Water Safari canoes as they passed by. It is supposed to be the hardest canoe race in the world.

I love the lens, but the first thing I noticed is that the 150mm on the short end is simply not wide enough. I'm using this on an APS-C body, apparently, that doesn't help much. lol

Here are a couple of cell phone pictures...

Looking up river with the camera, I was fine with the lens...

But as they passed by as shown in this picture below, I was close to not being able to get the entire canoe in the frame. The field of view was just too narrow...

The lens performed great otherwise; of course, this wasn't exactly action I was photographing, these canoes were on a pretty slow part of the river. I am going to really think about returning this one and ordering the Bigma.

Here is one of my pictures from this morning...

untitled (1 of 1) by ewraven, on Flickr

#7734413 - 06/14/14 05:00 PM Re: Almost all Sigma lenses on sale right now [Re: ewraven]
NOT spotch... Offline
Post Master Supreme

I kinda want the 50 1.4 art lens, but I don't want to spend all that cash lol. And if I had that much cash I'd probably just make myself save up for the 50 1.2 \:\(

#7734747 - 06/15/14 01:48 AM Re: Almost all Sigma lenses on sale right now [Re: NOT spotch...]
ewraven Offline
Post Master Supreme

I have the Sony 50mm F1.4 lens. I like it a lot, I really need to use it more often.
#7760125 - 07/03/14 02:45 PM Re: Almost all Sigma lenses on sale right now [Re: ewraven]
ewraven Offline
Post Master Supreme

I went to Austin and picked up that Sigma 18-35mm f1.8 this morning.

I got it in Sony A-mount. I am kind of hard on my lenses, I bought a Zeiss UV filter to protect it.

I really like it so far, been playing with it at my Mother's house with family around. It is nice being able to take pictures indoors without having to use the flash.

#7760598 - 07/03/14 09:18 PM Re: Almost all Sigma lenses on sale right now [Re: ewraven]
NOT spotch... Offline
Post Master Supreme

Nice! Not sure how I feel about the UV filter (this debate will rage forever though, with smart people on both sides), but the lens is supposed to be fucking incredible \:\)

And yeah, every time I try to take indoor pictures with stuff slower than f2 I get sad-faced.

#7761318 - 07/04/14 03:34 PM Re: Almost all Sigma lenses on sale right now [Re: NOT spotch...]
ewraven Offline
Post Master Supreme

I can definitely see the argument against UV filters. I'm not real careful with the glass on my lenses. I keep the end cap on, but rarely if ever use a lens cap.

One thing that surprised me about this lens, it did not come with the USB dock. The USB dock is a separate 59 dollar purchase and they don't have it listed for Sony mount at this time.

#7761362 - 07/04/14 04:52 PM Re: Almost all Sigma lenses on sale right now [Re: ewraven]
scootergeek Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: East of St. Louis
I'm a fan of hoods over filters.

YMMV

#7785573 - 07/22/14 11:54 AM Re: Almost all Sigma lenses on sale right now [Re: scootergeek]
chef Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: The OC
i did a bad bad thing. i ordered a 35 1.4 yesterday. one of the returns from amazon. i'll have to give it a good test, but their QC has been improved with these new lines of lenses, so i'm expecting to be pleased with it. $730, like new the listing says....
Order my photo prints (New files uploaded)

#7786434 - 07/22/14 08:35 PM Re: Almost all Sigma lenses on sale right now [Re: chef]
Voltron Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Not Found
I find that the UV filter sometimes creates/contributes to unwanted flare. There are times that I take the filter off, but if I'm outside or in a dusty/rough environment, I keep the filter on. Easier to replace a filter than the lens. Plus I can be a little more rough when it comes to cleaning the filter (ie, use spit and a shirt if necessary).
#7787509 - 07/23/14 01:19 PM Re: Almost all Sigma lenses on sale right now [Re: chef]
chef Offline
Post Master Supreme

Oh yeah, this shit sexy. I need to do a little MFA on it, it's focusing a little in front of where I want, but that should be an easy fix. It is indeed in like new condition. score one for me

#7787996 - 07/23/14 04:35 PM Re: Almost all Sigma lenses on sale right now [Re: chef]
ewraven Offline
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: chef
i did a bad bad thing. i ordered a 35 1.4 yesterday. one of the returns from amazon. i'll have to give it a good test, but their QC has been improved with these new lines of lenses, so i'm expecting to be pleased with it. $730, like new the listing says....

I ordered my Sony 16-105mm lens from Amazon Warehouse deals. It was in brand new condition and I saved something like 120 dollars.

I also sold a lens to Amazon warehouse deals last year. It was a cheapo 75-300mm Sony. It goes for 250 dollars new and I got an Amazon credit of 160 dollars for selling it to them. I did notice some really poor reviews of the Amazon buy it thing. They use an outside company that does some shady things, like say that the package was damaged when they received the item and then offering a credit that is only a fraction of what the product is worth.

Back to UV filters. Quality is all over the place for them. I buy pretty nice ones, I haven't seen any lens flare from those. I can see how the cheap ones would lack those coatings.

#7788154 - 07/23/14 06:24 PM Re: Almost all Sigma lenses on sale right now [Re: ewraven]
chef Offline
Post Master Supreme

wow, that's pretty fucked. I haven't really thought about selling stuff to amazon, or through amazon. interesting.

I bought my 1.7x TC from warehouse deals too. I used a bunch of visa gift cards i'd accrued from tire rebates and stuff to buy a couple of amazon gift cards, then used those to pay for the TC that was deeeeeply discounted and all of a sudden i had a 1.7x TC for very little cash out of pocket. Nice.

But then I bought a CB radio (SCTA says I need to have one on my person for press pass at the salt flats) from the warehouse deals, it showed up brand spanking new, without an antenna. doh!

#7788292 - 07/23/14 07:58 PM Re: Almost all Sigma lenses on sale right now [Re: chef]
Voltron Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Not Found
I only get the cheap filters. Maybe I should consider ditching them? eh....
Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  jsmonet, x, 2000SiRacer, Professor Paki 
Hop to:
Shout Box

CSi Sponsors

DiGBiC Lighters
DiGBiC Lighters
DallasColo
Dallas Colocation
ClubSi.com Shirts
ClubSi-Shirts
GameStop
Black-Friday Specials
Big Brake Kits
StopTech.Sale BBK Clearance
Brake Kits
Buy Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
BuyBrakes
Brake Kits-Pads & Rotors Sets
StopTech Brake Kits
StopTech
StopTech NZ
StopTech
StopTech Australia
StopTech
Hawk Brake Pads
Hawk Brake Pads
Samys Camera
GoPros, Cameras, Gear
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Pad Coupons
Coupon Code "hondafetish"
Porsche Brakes
Porsche Brake Upgrades
2-Piece Rotors-Civic Type-R
2-Piece Civic Rotors
Advertisement

| Brake Pads | | How To Change Brake Pads | | Drilled Slotted Brake Kits Cheap | EBC Brake Kits | Performance Brake Kits | Brake Specials Near Me | How To Replace Brake Pads