Page 1 of 4 1234>
Topic Options
#7765885 - 07/08/14 05:35 PM Doing a century as a novice
dirtyS13drifta
Unregistered

So, how long would it take a novice cyclist doing 40-50 miles a week(in 5-8 mile spurts) to get ready to ride a century?

How slow should they expect to do a century?

Said century has about 3-4k of vert.

#7765907 - 07/08/14 05:46 PM Re: Doing a century as a novice [Re: ]
stickaz_old Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Nor Cal, Hella hurr durr
wat dat 1990 mtbike [on knobbies] do doe?

*in for responses. I think I'd stagger off the bike around mile 70 and not get up, have no idea what would happen. If I were revived somehow I think I'd stagger off and try to flag a passing motorist

a 50-something co-worker of mine just did 2.5 centuries in a 24 hr period. I really don't know how to comprehend that [charity thing]. We went on a ride together couple weeks ago and he dropped me relentlessly [shocker]

for real tho I plan on doing a metric century first for some reason, then will re-evaluate. I assume I can hold 17-ish mph for that /blindly guessing /oldfatslow

#7765914 - 07/08/14 05:52 PM Re: Doing a century as a novice [Re: stickaz_old]
dirtyS13drifta
Unregistered

Haha, I'm not on nobbies. Only because the windnoise got old. \:\|

Seriously tho, new bike would be involved.

I've done 50-60 on the current mtn bike(on nobbies) on road before, but I was about 1/2 my current age.

I mentioned wanting to ride to "the mountain" one day as a goal. He laughed, but then the gauntlet was thrown down. The current challenge. 1yrs time, any bike, 12 hours(i'm lobbying for 14 for lunch, flats, beers).

I make it, I get 5 growlers of beer, 5 sandwiches from food cart.(working on recruiting other coworkers into the kitty)
I lose, $100 to charity, and I shave my head.

/things portlanders do.

#7765947 - 07/08/14 06:16 PM Re: Doing a century as a novice [Re: ]
stickaz_old Offline
Post Master Supreme

12? pshh. that includes plenty of time for flats and beers. Really the chase-van should clear you out after 8ish hrs [jmho]

*have not stayed at a holiday inn recently

with a 60-minute break, you're looking at averaging 14 mph. comeonson.jpg

of course, I'd probably die so don't look at me. I could right to SF [and back!] and still have to find a ~10 mile loop or something to do a century near me \:\|

**I basically guarantee that would be a 1-way trip and involve Caltrain on the return heh

#7765959 - 07/08/14 06:25 PM Re: Doing a century as a novice [Re: stickaz_old]
dirtyS13drifta
Unregistered

My issue is the 4k of vert. It's up a god damn mountain.

The way back is mtn road, fun, with a super wide shoulder but there's lots of sand from the winter on the shoulder. From what I've read it's hard to crack 20 downhill due to surface conditions. Or you take the lane, but you'll want to be pushing 40(which is doable with the steepness in stretches, but never a walk in the park).

#7765963 - 07/08/14 06:26 PM Re: Doing a century as a novice [Re: ]
robbbby Offline
master electrician
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Canada
 Originally Posted By: dirtyS13drifta
So, how long would it take a novice cyclist doing 40-50 miles a week(in 5-8 mile spurts) to get ready to ride a century?

How slow should they expect to do a century?

Said century has about 3-4k of vert.

How long it takes to get ready depends on how you train from now to when you want to do the ride.
If you keep doing 5-8 miles rides 5x-6x times a week you will never be ready, you need to keep increasing the mileage until you are comfortable doing a 3+ hour ride at a minimum in my opinion.

#7765968 - 07/08/14 06:28 PM Re: Doing a century as a novice [Re: robbbby]
dirtyS13drifta
Unregistered

3 hours, ok, sounds like I'm not going to do a 1/2 this year.

SO I'll replace my long slow runs with a cycle on SUndays. Sub out a few of those short commutes with run commutes.

Say 1 long ride SUnday, upto 3-4 hours.
1 lunch ride a week, say 40 minutes?
8 5-8 miles commutes(which I can do some nice intervals on)

#7765983 - 07/08/14 06:34 PM Re: Doing a century as a novice [Re: ]
stickaz_old Offline
Post Master Supreme

I prefer to get my 'long rides' in on a mtbike on some sweet singletrack loops. tucked in the aerobars going in a straight line for hours and hours is pretty much fail

*comeatmespandexers

#7765984 - 07/08/14 06:35 PM Re: Doing a century as a novice [Re: ]
robbbby Offline
master electrician
Post Master Supreme

Why do you want to do a century?
Rather than aiming big, shoot for smaller distances and increase it every week. Do your regular riding during the week and set a goal for something like 20 miles on your big ride day (saurday). The following saturday go for 25, then 30, etc. It will help your body get used to the longer distances and longer times in the saddle, I think you'll benefit more with small weekly steps.

#7765988 - 07/08/14 06:37 PM Re: Doing a century as a novice [Re: stickaz_old]
robbbby Offline
master electrician
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: Something Witty
I prefer to get my 'long rides' in on a mtbike on some sweet singletrack loops. tucked in the aerobars going in a straight line for hours and hours is pretty much fail

*comeatmespandexers

I'm a spandexer and I totally agree. I do my 1-2 hour weekly rides on the road and on the weekend go find some sweet singletrack to do my 3+ hour rides on.

#7766034 - 07/08/14 07:24 PM Re: Doing a century as a novice [Re: robbbby]
dirtyS13drifta
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: robbbby
Why do you want to do a century?
Rather than aiming big, shoot for smaller distances and increase it every week. Do your regular riding during the week and set a goal for something like 20 miles on your big ride day (saurday). The following saturday go for 25, then 30, etc. It will help your body get used to the longer distances and longer times in the saddle, I think you'll benefit more with small weekly steps.

Do you understand the difference between a plan and a goal?
I'm aware I need to progress to reach the goal, but most people I know start with an end goal.

If your trying to outline a plan, fine. I'm getting 16 weeks on the add 5 a week plan.

The ride I want to do is actually 110-120 miles depending on details of the route I take.

#7766044 - 07/08/14 07:34 PM Re: Doing a century as a novice [Re: ]
stickaz_old Offline
Post Master Supreme

also I don't really see the ZOMG barrier in cycling like it exists in running. Eg for me moving from a 5k to a 10k now to a 1/2 marathon is a mind bottling experience. As a fat cyclist with some mileage [3k/yr or thereabotus] a 30 or a 40 or a 60 miler ride is pretty much a yawner unless I'm trying to keep up with a group or something or hold 18+ mph for the whole thing. But my daily rides are 9 each way. ZOMG nowai! also don't forget nutrition on the bike. Something like the body can take in 400-600 calories or something per hour so that means you should have more than a few GUs taped all over the place [comeatmebro I dunno read the slowtwitchforums or something or lmgtfy]

*BRB bonking. No I get it, I know it happens [bonk/die/etc]. But not to someone that is pretty fit like the OP. Like say he goes out in zone 2 and stays there like a good boy. He will make it.
Lets say he goes for zone 4 on the hill or three on that route at mile 70---he probably wont heh

If I'm not mistaken: run fitness transfers to biking MUCH quicker than the reverse. OP will be fine. Now if OP wants to be fast or compete or whatever listen to the rest of the people in this thread *and add intervals!

for a single anecdote: one of my co-workers is into tris. Really he's just into lifting [he's sort of an Art, 6'4, pretty big and all], and he's not fast at all but can be competitive in the 220+ clydesdale category. Anyways on FB recently he tried a ~50 mile ride while not having much/any conditioning recently and of course he bonked around mile 30 and had a nice time in the shade I guess [plenty of time to post on FB]. I'm not sure his training 'regimen' exactly but when I've talked to him about it he tries to get like 1 ride, 1 swim, 1 jog in a week. It might be like 5-10 miles biked [I'm not making this up], maybe a 500y in the pool, and like a 2 mile jog. This is 'in shape' to him. He's previously completed 1/2 irons and stuff so he can be pretty fast but he hasnt done much lately/no base to fall back on other than being bigger than all of us.

anyways for reference some of us are putting in ~8-ish hours of cardio/week [most people I follow on strava] and shouldnt be concerned with a century
**if you're already in shape
**if you pace yourself properly
**if you don't mind being slow as fuck

For another anecdote, my co-worker that finished 2.5 centurys in ~22 hours mentioned that his goal was to:
a) hold 15 mph on century #1 followed by bio-break/re-fuel/recharge/micronap
b) hold 14 mph on century #2 followed by bio-break/re-fuel/recharge/micronap
c) see how far he got on century #3 with whatever was left in the tank [absolutely nothing he said, and was getting wobbly]

so is that slow as fuck? hell yes. Was that pace required for him to survive? hell yes. Also there was something like ~12k vertical feet in that day for him lol. [western canada similar to the rockies]

*am I a complete dumbfuck? yes
**do I like asterisks? no

#7766291 - 07/08/14 10:37 PM Re: Doing a century as a novice [Re: stickaz_old]
gamby Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: RI
I'll give mileage number goals. 2 brisk 20 mile rides during the week and at least a 40on Saturday from here on in is as good plan to start with. The more you build your base mileage, the merrier.

The climbing will make it very difficult, though. That'll get miserable quickly.

still have an EM1--go figure

#7766298 - 07/08/14 10:43 PM Re: Doing a century as a novice [Re: stickaz_old]
JT Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: Minnesota eh
Mileage is nothing if you have free time and a positive attitude. I've seen some seriously out of shape people on some shitty bikes do sub 12-hr centuries. It's those that hit it hard at the beginning and run out of gas at mile 20 that hate life. Centuries are more mental than anything, but having some fitness and a nice bike just make the experience better.

#7766523 - 07/09/14 07:30 AM Re: Doing a century as a novice [Re: JT]
Cheesegoggles Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Here
Without getting into the details of climbing and terrain and stuff, OP probably has the fitness to ride a bike 100 miles in 12 hours. He'll be kind of slow, but he can do it. He needs the miles ahead of time to acclimate to being on the bike for that long, i.e. getting his core and taint prepped for the trip. And working out how nutrition will work.

I've done a few MS 150 rides and all kinds of people are out there doing the rides regardless of fitness. A lot of them probably hardly got their bikes out of the garage before showing up. They are unsafe to be around and will be in a lot of pain the next day, but they have the minimum base fitness to do the ride. OP probably has that too.

#7766770 - 07/09/14 10:04 AM Re: Doing a century as a novice [Re: Cheesegoggles]
dirtyS13drifta
Unregistered

So barring that I could do it now(i'm pretty sure my ass actually couldn't do 40+ right now).

How long is a realistic training window to at least somewhat enjoy it?

10 weeks would put me into september when weather is cooler, but still not rainy as fuck, and the days still long.

Start at 20mile long this weekend, add 5-10 per week? Get at least one ride of about 75 under the belt?
DO at least a 10 mile Intense ride, adding 1-2 miles a week?

The climbing is between miles 25-55, it's an out and back, so I'll have a nice haul ass return. Shoot for a slow pace on teh way up, maybe 12 on the flats, 8 on the climb. On the way back enjoy gravity? (there are a few minor uphills on the way back that'll still suck)

Tell me more about the core requirements, I'm pretty sure running and squats do enough for my core.

#7767057 - 07/09/14 11:55 AM Re: Doing a century as a novice [Re: ]
JT Offline
Post Master Sr

If you can do 50 miles, you can do 100. But to train, just ride a lot. Commute to work, ride to the store/bar/etc. Get your ass used to behind in the saddle. On the weekend, shoot for 20 miles in the morning. If there's still gas in the tank, add another 10 miles. Shoot for a metric century (~62miles) by the halfway point in your training. Once that's in the bag, you can adjust training as needed. Find out what food works for you. I prefer one bottle of water and one bottle with an electrolyte like Gatorade powder or Nuun, and have a bottle down per 20-25 miles.

#7767636 - 07/09/14 04:26 PM Re: Doing a century as a novice [Re: ]
gamby Offline
Post Master Supreme

I think you're overthinking.

As I said, get comfortable with a couple of 20 milers during the week and then see what you can put down over the weekend in terms of a longer ride. Start with 30 and go longer each week.

Nothing will train you better than putting miles down on the bike. The squats/core will help a bit, but in the end, being on the bike will do more. The famous cycling coach Chris Carmichael has said exactly that.

FWIW, things don't start hurting until around the 60 mile mark. 50 goes by in a blur.

#7767932 - 07/09/14 07:10 PM Re: Doing a century as a novice [Re: ]
2000SiRacer Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Colorado
*useless anecdote warning*

My little brother, who's not particularly fit or active, got into cycling last fall. And by "got into" I mean he took my mom's 17 year old steel frame hybrid bike and started riding it around. Long story short, he's done two or three "official" century rides on that old hybrid and once took off down the C&O Canal from Georgetown on his old mountain bike, had lunch in Harper's Ferry, WV then turned around and rode home. Got lost (somehow) and caught in a rain storm but still managed to make the ~130ish miles roundtrip OK.

That's really the only experience I have with 100 mile bike rides but if my brother can show up on our mom's bike in a cotton T shirt and basketball shorts and knock these out I'm sure someone who calls themselves a cyclist (novice or not) would be fine.

#7768881 - 07/10/14 10:39 AM Re: Doing a century as a novice [Re: 2000SiRacer]
dirtyS13drifta
Unregistered

My buddy just invited me on a 50 or 80 miler(supported ride) in 5 weeks.

Wife greenlit a new bike.

I think I'll do that first. He's leaning towards the 50 miler tho. He's assuming we'll do 13mph.

#7769928 - 07/11/14 12:09 AM Re: Doing a century as a novice [Re: ]
stickaz_old Offline
Post Master Supreme

^get a TT bike, then a cyclocross, then a road bike. In that order!

#7769945 - 07/11/14 12:54 AM Re: Doing a century as a novice [Re: stickaz_old]
dirtyS13drifta
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: Something Witty
^get a TT bike, then a cyclocross, then a road bike. In that order!

What? Why would I want a TT bike?
I was jsut chuckling to myself about the TT bike in the bike rack at work. Like bro, do you strava? commuting on a TT, what a maroon!

The new bike will be the summer commuter(at least tu-f, when I don't need a giant pannier of crap), and for cruises, and the occasional long stupid shit.
I'm leaning Cyclocross, so I have the option of getting into that for the wet months(all 10 of em).

Plus if I get a TT, I lose my excuse for being slow. A cyclocross is still a "slow bike".

#7770092 - 07/11/14 08:05 AM Re: Doing a century as a novice [Re: ]
nato2377 Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: Denver, CO
Lol at cyclocross being a slow bike, I can ride mine on knobbies just as fast as my road bike.
You're def way overthinking things, I'm at work but I'll throw my 2 cents in when I get home. I done 7 or 8 centuries this year already and 2 100 mile mtb races

Lol at witty, your posts make me laugh. I mean, *laugh

#7770114 - 07/11/14 08:26 AM Re: Doing a century as a novice [Re: nato2377]
JT Offline
Post Master Sr

Cross bikes are a blast. They make perfect commuters and weekend warriors. TT bikes are only slightly more annoying than their owners, which really are a different breed of human.

#7770151 - 07/11/14 08:57 AM Re: Doing a century as a novice [Re: JT]
Impulsive Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Edmonton
I have a cyclocross. I know shit about bikes, I just ride and wanted something more durable since some of the paved trails I ride on are still pretty rough and the odd off pavement portion/curb/tree root to ride over.

#7770316 - 07/11/14 10:43 AM Re: Doing a century as a novice [Re: Impulsive]
dirtyS13drifta
Unregistered

Sweet, love the 3 votes for a cross bike.

Yeah, being that I've never been a road biker, I think the cyclocross will give the me the benefits of a road bike without compromising what I expect a bike to be able to do.

I think I'll aim for a 25miler on the mtn bike this weekend. Maybe I'll pull the fender(dry season) off for rocket speedz!

#7770600 - 07/11/14 12:22 PM Re: Doing a century as a novice [Re: ]
nato2377 Offline
Post Master Sr

Doing 100 miles comes down to pacing, eating and drinking.
Obviously you have to ride a pace you can sustain for 100 miles. Easiest way to to ride in such a way that you don't cause lactic acid to build up in your muscles. If you do that you can ride all day if you stay fueled. Now for you, that might be at 13mph while someone like me who trains and rides 5000+ miles a year is more like 16. In time, training will help increase that. Ride a comfortable speed on flats and downhills, and on uphills just try to make your legs not burn as much as possible, stand occasionally to stretch the legs out. 4K over 100 miles is pretty flat IMO...thats 1000ft for every 25 miles. I just did 3300ft in 34 miles last night. take turns riding behind someone to save energy. 15mpg avg is still a sub 7 century. i might have missed it but if you are doing this on a road/cross bike, that shouldnt be too hard, especially if you train. mtb on knobbies, that will be tough

2-300 calories a hour is all you need. personally, I eat pop tarts. 1 poptart a hour is 210 calories, 7g fat, 170mg sodium, 35g carbs, 15g sugar, 2 g protein ( frosted brown sugar) you can drop the sugar but getting un-frosted. That works for me and they are easier to eat then bars. If i use a bar, its bonk-breaker pb&j hands down without a doubt. Find something you can eat multiple hours in a row and is easy to get down. dont forget to factor in calories you drink

hydration, drink a bottle a hour, obviously more if its hot. tailor salt intake if its hotter as well. i usually aim for 1/4 bottle every 15 min. towards the end, grab a small coke or something. the caffeine boost and sugar will help. like mile 80 or so.

thats really all there is to it to do 100 miles. now to train for it, i would do something like this, since you only ride in 5-8 mile spurts. FWIW I would train by hours, not by miles. to start, i would do 2,1hr rides on back to back days, day off, then do another 1 hr ride, with a 2 hr ride on the weekend.
example:

week 1- mon- 1hr, tues- 1 hr,wed-off/crosstrain, thurs- 1hr ride, fri- off, sat- 2 hr ride sun- off/recovery spin if you want

week 2- mon 1 hr tues 1.5hr wed off/CT thurs- 1 hr fri- off sat- 2 hr sun off
3- m 1.5 hr tu 1.5 hr wed off th 1.5 fri off sat 2.5 sun off
4- same as week 3
5- m 1.5 tu 2 wed off thurs 1.5 fri off sat 3hr

fwiw i dont usually ride more than 2 hours during the week and i still avg 10 hrs a week. after a while instead of making longer rides during the week, just add more days and keep increasing your long ride on the weekend. you can tailor that schedule up or down to fit your fitness, but i dont think that you need to decrease the times since you already ride somewhat.

just my thoughts

Edited by nato2377 (07/11/14 12:29 PM)

#7770605 - 07/11/14 12:25 PM Re: Doing a century as a novice [Re: nato2377]
nato2377 Offline
Post Master Sr

also, ride hills as much as possible
#7770644 - 07/11/14 12:39 PM Re: Doing a century as a novice [Re: nato2377]
Maximus
Unregistered

I know people that have done more than that for charity with little previous training.
#7770727 - 07/11/14 01:14 PM Re: Doing a century as a novice [Re: ]
dirtyS13drifta
Unregistered

Right now I'm on old mtn bike(solid frame) on slicks. GOing bike shopping next week(I've wanted a new bike for a while)

It's out and back, and climbing is only over ~30 miles, but at least I get the down-hill on the way back.

And I have a 3 month old, so finding 5 hours a week might be tricky. I'll start by adding a long ride, and see about maybe one of my commutes tacking on 30-60 minutes as well.

Good advice on pacing, I'm notorious for trying to go all out all the time. I think some long slow rides will help for sure.

Edited by dirtyS13drifta (07/11/14 01:35 PM)

#7770739 - 07/11/14 01:20 PM Re: Doing a century as a novice [Re: ]
nato2377 Offline
Post Master Sr

Just drop a day during the week then but push yourself on the weekends. It will also help you learn to pace yourself
#7771452 - 07/11/14 09:20 PM Re: Doing a century as a novice [Re: ]
bt0 Offline
Post Master Sr

Find a marathon plan, and multiply the distances by 4.
#7772600 - 07/12/14 09:32 PM Re: Doing a century as a novice [Re: ]
gamby Offline
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: Maximus
I know people that have done more than that for charity with little previous training.

I see this every year during the MS150. For each rider who can pull it off, there is one who suffers massively and another who drops out.

50 goes by in a breeze. Things start hurting at 60-65.

As nato said, hydration and nutrition are key. Too much and you bog down/want to crap yourself. Too little and you bonk.

A cross bike with 700x25's would be a fantastic century bike. I'm eyeing the Nashbar steel cross bike at $750 with 105 drivetrain. Weighs a ton (26lbs) but dammit if it doesn't look fun.

#7772761 - 07/13/14 12:59 AM Re: Doing a century as a novice [Re: bt0]
dirtyS13drifta
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: bt0
Find a marathon plan, and multiply the distances by 4.

I got a 5km plan, take that and multiple by 32?

Well, a 2hour ride isn't looking likely this weekend. Doing 80min run tho, same thing right?

#7772852 - 07/13/14 08:45 AM Re: Doing a century as a novice [Re: ]
nato2377 Offline
Post Master Sr

no
Page 1 of 4 1234>

Moderator:  Silock, Professor Paki 
Hop to:
Shout Box

CSi Sponsors

DiGBiC Lighters
DiGBiC Lighters
DallasColo
Dallas Colocation
ClubSi.com Shirts
ClubSi-Shirts
GameStop
Black-Friday Specials
Big Brake Kits
StopTech.Sale BBK Clearance
Brake Kits
Buy Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
BuyBrakes
Brake Kits-Pads & Rotors Sets
StopTech Brake Kits
StopTech
StopTech NZ
StopTech
StopTech Australia
StopTech
Hawk Brake Pads
Hawk Brake Pads
Samys Camera
GoPros, Cameras, Gear
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Pad Coupons
Coupon Code "hondafetish"
Porsche Brakes
Porsche Brake Upgrades
2-Piece Rotors-Civic Type-R
2-Piece Civic Rotors
Advertisement

| Brake Pads | | How To Change Brake Pads | | Drilled Slotted Brake Kits Cheap | EBC Brake Kits | Performance Brake Kits | Brake Specials Near Me | How To Replace Brake Pads