Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#7752235 - 06/27/14 12:26 PM Fuuuuuu no more Apple Aperture
chef Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: The OC
Guess it's finally time to fall into the CC path and figure out Lightroom \:\( I really liked Aperture \:\(

http://9to5mac.com/2014/06/27/apple-to-r...ar/#more-330059

Quote:
Apple has told 9to5Mac that that the company will be ceasing development of Aperture and iPhoto, offering Photos for OS X as a replacement, which was first shown at WWDC.

With the introduction of the new Photos app and iCloud Photo Library, enabling you to safely store all of your photos in iCloud and access them from anywhere, there will be no new development of Aperture. When Photos for OS X ships next year, users will be able to migrate their existing Aperture libraries to Photos for OS X.

Apple says libraries will be able to migrate across to the new application when the application ships. Apple is working with Adobe to offer a upgrade path to Lightroom. As noted by TechCrunch, Apple will offer a Yosemite compatibility update for Aperture, but otherwise development has ended.
Order my photo prints (New files uploaded)

Visit Sponsors! Help CSi !
#7752242 - 06/27/14 12:31 PM Re: Fuuuuuu no more Apple Aperture [Re: chef]
chef Offline
Post Master Supreme

FUCKING PANIC

NOW I HAVE TO FIGURE OUT A WHOLE NEW WORKFLOW. APERTURE'S MANAGED LIBRARIES MADE THINGS SO FUCKING SIMPLE. WHAT HAS THE WORLD COME TO. MY WORLD IS FALLING APART, GOODBYE CRUEL WORLD

#7752324 - 06/27/14 02:02 PM Re: Fuuuuuu no more Apple Aperture [Re: chef]
ewraven Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Dept. of Ruminant Procurement
Did you just leave a smart ass reply to your own post? lol

Go sign up for the Adobe Creative Cloud. For ten dollars a month, you get Lightroom, CC, Bridge and some other knick knacks and can install them on up to two computers simultaneously. Plus, they are ALWAYS up to date.

#7752432 - 06/27/14 03:11 PM Re: Fuuuuuu no more Apple Aperture [Re: ewraven]
NOT spotch... Offline
Post Master Supreme

That 10 a month shit bothers me. I want to just buy the software and use it, I hate the idea of yet another thing that you never really own, you just pay for it forever.

Fwiw capture 1 pro doing straight raw->jpg gave me better/more accurate colors and exposure straight out of the camera on my first quick and dirty test. We'll see how the future tests go, but I'm considering at least using it sometimes.

#7752450 - 06/27/14 03:30 PM Re: Fuuuuuu no more Apple Aperture [Re: NOT spotch...]
rcurley55 Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: San Francisco, CA, USA
I just came here to post this. Looks like it's time to learn LR and just export what I need from LR to iPhoto. \:\(

#7752454 - 06/27/14 03:33 PM Re: Fuuuuuu no more Apple Aperture [Re: chef]
Kierf Offline
The Right Honorable The Lord Mayor Kierf, First Death Notifier Of ClubSi
Post Master Supreme

You don't have to stop using Aperture right away. It just won't receive updates. Run it into the ground, then switch.
Maybe Photos (iPhoto/Aperature replacement) will work well?

#7752519 - 06/27/14 04:14 PM Re: Fuuuuuu no more Apple Aperture [Re: Kierf]
chef Offline
Post Master Supreme

The $10/monthly is ok with me, it's not that bad. I've got a student version of CS5 Master Suite that I bought a few years back for $800, I'm sure it's been about $30 a month for it. I'm thinking I can use Photoshop and Lightroom for $10 a month and what little need I have for the other programs I can keep using CS5 until the OS no longer supports it.

I probably will just end up using Aperture with the Yosemite update, but I'd been holding out expecting Apple to release a new version eventually. I've not found anything that Aperture won't do that Lightroom will, and I really like (obviously huh?) the managed libraries. So easy to create a library on the road, copy one (big ass) file into my annual library at home and be done with it.

The Photos app screenshot looks like it'll have some of the same adjustments in it, but if the plan was to make an equally powerful version of the program, why not announce that instead of just, we're killing Aperture and will have a migration tool for Lightroom?

At least the Nik stuff is still around, and if I do end up using Lightroom, now I can get the newer versions of VSCO.... :mrbrightside:

#7752554 - 06/27/14 05:07 PM Re: Fuuuuuu no more Apple Aperture [Re: chef]
NOT spotch... Offline
Post Master Supreme

I just saw some blurb about them saying the new thing won't have pro capabilities, whatever that means.

I still haven't gotten comfortable with lightroom's file management, and I'm not sure i will. I never used aperture, but I am looking at other options nowadays.

#7752572 - 06/27/14 05:25 PM Re: Fuuuuuu no more Apple Aperture [Re: NOT spotch...]
GSParker
Unregistered

I've always preferred lightroom to aperture. Aperture and iPhoto are pieces of shit IMO.

You can still get Lightroom 5, which is very current, without the CC crap. Hell, i'm running LR4 at home and don't see a need to upgrade yet.

#7752657 - 06/27/14 07:29 PM Re: Fuuuuuu no more Apple Aperture [Re: ]
scootergeek Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: East of St. Louis
I shot tethered with Aperture a couple times until I was turned on to sofortbild. That's all I've ever used it for. I never do post on my laptop.

I'll avoid cc until it can't be avoided any longer too.

#7752660 - 06/27/14 07:31 PM Re: Fuuuuuu no more Apple Aperture [Re: ]
chef Offline
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: GSParker
I've always preferred lightroom to aperture. Aperture and iPhoto are pieces of shit IMO.

You can still get Lightroom 5, which is very current, without the CC crap. Hell, i'm running LR4 at home and don't see a need to upgrade yet.
Why is Aperture a piece of shit for you?

#7752712 - 06/27/14 08:39 PM Re: Fuuuuuu no more Apple Aperture [Re: chef]
GSParker
Unregistered

I never cared for how they managed the photos. I believe at one point all photos were added to the catalog file and were removed from their original location, making the originals hard to get to if you needed to send it off to someone else. It was in the aperture catalog and you had to export it before you did any edits...why would I do that if it was already outside the catalog? Plus, exporting it wasn't very intuitive to begin with.

LR, on the other hand, allowed photos to be kept in their original location when added to the catalog or it could be added in other ways. You had options to accommodate different types of users. Unlike music, I always like direct access to my photo files vs. a catalog manager, hence why I don't use LR like some do. but aperture didn't allow that so I ditched it.

iPhoto is very similar and now with their events, albums, by date, etc., they got the boot too.

#7752788 - 06/27/14 10:41 PM Re: Fuuuuuu no more Apple Aperture [Re: ]
Kierf Offline
Post Master Supreme

I'm the exact opposite. I like the catalog of iPhoto, but have manually organized my music. Music is a hell of a lot more easy to organize IMO than photos.

#7752829 - 06/27/14 11:38 PM Re: Fuuuuuu no more Apple Aperture [Re: Kierf]
GSParker
Unregistered

I should have clarified the music part. I still need access to the actual music files for those times I may use them in a video or something but I don't have iTunes "manage" it. I do it all in Finder first then import it into iTunes and leave the files in their original location. The default for iTunes is the opposite so I've always turned it off.
#7752930 - 06/28/14 06:21 AM Re: Fuuuuuu no more Apple Aperture [Re: scootergeek]
flyEX #1 Administrator Offline
Man in the Box
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Down in a Hole
 Originally Posted By: scootergeek
I'll avoid cc until it can't be avoided any longer too.

$80 for a hard copy of lightroom on sale every other year or as needed > cloud. Been meaning to get a college student to buy PS...

LR is super intuitive. Lots of awesome tutorials for whatever you want to do, like this one for landscapes:

http://youtu.be/3RkqFLCQ9CI

#7753229 - 06/28/14 03:28 PM Re: Fuuuuuu no more Apple Aperture [Re: ]
chef Offline
Post Master Supreme

Ah gotcha. Aperture would also let you create a referenced library like LR. I preferred the managed though. It was easy enough for me to export a version (edited jpg) with a keystroke, or export a master (Nef, with or without edits) from the file menu. I stored original originals in one folder, then imported them into the managed library, and that was that. You could also right click the library file and "show package contents" to see everything in a file/folder structure, but I never needed to. I liked the managed library because I couldn't accidentally move something that was catalogued and then unlinked from the catalog after I moved it. That's where I'm going to have to be super disciplined and work out a consistent workflow. Opened up LR5 last night and the process to import was fine, but settings weren't exactly intuitive. I'll just have to watch a video or two and then I'm sure it'll make sense.

#7753247 - 06/28/14 03:35 PM Re: Fuuuuuu no more Apple Aperture [Re: Kierf]
chef Offline
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: Kierf - ¿§?

I'm the exact opposite. I like the catalog of iPhoto, but have manually organized my music. Music is a hell of a lot more easy to organize IMO than photos.
I'm fine with itunes organizing it too, I guess because I just want it organized by artist and album, which is how itunes does it. Compilations get a little more complex to find manually, but I've always just add playlists for each album and listed them alphabetically by artist

I organize my photo library by YEAR-MONTH-DAY PROJECT, and I think aperture created folders similarly inside the managed library file that way, though like I said I never had reason to get in there. The only time it got tricky beyond that would be when I was working with psd's, which I can see would be a problem for people. I didn't try archiving them in the library, I cmd shift O to open up in photoshop, it would make a tiff, open in Photoshop, I'd do my edits and then save as the psd elsewhere. If I flattened the file I could just file save and it would update the file in aperture. I never bothered to try saving layered psd's, just didn't edit that way often. I ain't nate.

BUT I GUESS IT DOESNT FUCKING MATTER ANYMORE DOES IT?!

#7753931 - 06/29/14 03:32 PM Re: Fuuuuuu no more Apple Aperture [Re: chef]
GSParker
Unregistered

Yeah, I may just be a special case here then. I don't manage my music by album/artist/etc. and don't manage my photos by year, month, day,etc.

for me, my music has always been
"Eminem - Space Bound.mp3" in the music folder

My photos have always been by type. For instance, I have a Trips folder, Cars folder, families, school, etc. Then it is broken down inside there if needed (multiple trips, different cars, etc). But that allows me to manage the photos via Finder vs. needing a catalog system.

#7753932 - 06/29/14 03:33 PM Re: Fuuuuuu no more Apple Aperture [Re: ]
GSParker
Unregistered

Plus, my other positive about LR, was the integration with Photoshop. Not sure if Aperture ever went this route but I can export to Photoshop, make an edit, and it'll bring the file back into LR.
#7754095 - 06/29/14 06:54 PM Re: Fuuuuuu no more Apple Aperture [Re: ]
chef Offline
Post Master Supreme

Yeah, I never tried with psd files, but it was an option, I would hit the keystroke to edit in "insert alternative editor here" and it would create a tiff file from your raw file, open in PS, then when you save in PS it'll update the file in aperture.

I used to file my shoots like that, bike races, landscapes, this that and the other.... It was recommended to me to do it by date so I tried it and actually liked it. I know the general time period I shot something when looking, so it works out pretty well

#7756875 - 07/01/14 04:03 PM Re: Fuuuuuu no more Apple Aperture [Re: chef]
Kierf Offline
Post Master Supreme

http://arstechnica.com/apple/2014/06/apple-to-cease-development-support-of-pro-photo-app-aperture/

Update: When asked about what Aperture-like features users can expect from the new Photos app, an Apple representative mentioned plans for professional-grade features such as image search, editing, effects, and most notably, third-party extensibility. The representative also clarified the timeframe when Aperture development will end, along with an announcement about its other Pro app offerings receiving updates today; those details have been updated in the text above.

#7757173 - 07/01/14 06:30 PM Re: Fuuuuuu no more Apple Aperture [Re: Kierf]
chef Offline
Post Master Supreme

I really like Apple because they don't announce details until the product is ready, confirmed, done. For the most part. Now there's this. You've got 8 different reps speaking to media telling different stories.

Then Scott Fucking Kelby gets on his webcast last night to do the Aperture to Lightroom thing, a total reactionary broadcast. You can choose between exporting raw files one at a time, or album as jpgs with meta data, or this or that, but no real library move. Nothing that carries over edits and IPTC data and everything at once. Which makes sense, because edits are performed differently between programs. But, also, in the 30 minute segment I choked down, no mention of Apple saying they'd work with Adobe to release a migration utility. Fuck that hack-ass educator for pay. Everything I've seen of Lightroom, Aperture did the same or more logically. Fuck the Cloud. I'm sticking with Aperture for now and not even giving a shit about making a change until I see Photos or Aperture is no longer supported. I am curious to see what the difference is in processing via Capture One though...

#7758904 - 07/02/14 05:20 PM Re: Fuuuuuu no more Apple Aperture [Re: chef]
Nate047 Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: La La Land, CA
You don't have to get CC. Just get LR 5 and stop being a whiney little bitch.

Nate
"Nate047 > NateSTL" - TenTwelve
"As long as I have a face, you'll always have a place to sit." - SlowBlackCar

*insert picture of stock Fit here*

#7758980 - 07/02/14 06:34 PM Re: Fuuuuuu no more Apple Aperture [Re: Nate047]
chef Offline
Post Master Supreme

I don't want LR5. CC is fine, I'll use Premier and After Effects and Photoshop and Illustrator. I just think LR5 is stewpit
 Originally Posted By: Nate047
You don't have to get CC. Just get LR 5 and stop being a whiney little bitch.

Nate

#7764351 - 07/07/14 09:13 PM Re: Fuuuuuu no more Apple Aperture [Re: chef]
Choco 'Nuck Offline
Proud Member of BLM
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Somewhere out there
Fuck CC and subscription based software. I'm sad lightroom is going away.
#7805038 - 08/04/14 05:32 PM Re: Fuuuuuu no more Apple Aperture [Re: chef]
Kierf Offline
Post Master Supreme

Adobe released a guide how to switch from Aperture to Lightroom.
http://landing.adobe.com/dam/downloads/whitepapers/54511.en.switch-from-aperture-to-lightroom.pdf
http://landing.adobe.com/en/na/products/creative-cloud/54511-aperture-switcher.html

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  jsmonet, x, 2000SiRacer, Professor Paki 
Hop to:
Shout Box

CSi Sponsors

DiGBiC Lighters
DiGBiC Lighters
DallasColo
Dallas Colocation
ClubSi.com Shirts
ClubSi-Shirts
GameStop
Black-Friday Specials
Big Brake Kits
StopTech.Sale BBK Clearance
Brake Kits
Buy Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
BuyBrakes
Brake Kits-Pads & Rotors Sets
StopTech Brake Kits
StopTech
StopTech NZ
StopTech
StopTech Australia
StopTech
Hawk Brake Pads
Hawk Brake Pads
Samys Camera
GoPros, Cameras, Gear
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Pad Coupons
Coupon Code "hondafetish"
Porsche Brakes
Porsche Brake Upgrades
2-Piece Rotors-Civic Type-R
2-Piece Civic Rotors
Advertisement

| Brake Pads | | How To Change Brake Pads | | Drilled Slotted Brake Kits Cheap | EBC Brake Kits | Performance Brake Kits | Brake Specials Near Me | How To Replace Brake Pads