Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#7740025 - 06/19/14 07:21 AM multicoated diffusion filter yay/nay
Duc Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: MD
waste of money or a good investment for action photography?

I have my UV filter and a multicoated ND filter already

..you can NEVER out train a bad diet -- FitExcellence

Visit Sponsors! Help CSi !
#7740050 - 06/19/14 07:40 AM Re: multicoated diffusion filter yay/nay [Re: Duc]
LNXGUY Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Barrie, Ont,
I don't shoot with anything on my lenses. I dunno if you'd want something like that for sports/action anyhow. Landscape, etc sure...

#7740124 - 06/19/14 08:38 AM Re: multicoated diffusion filter yay/nay [Re: LNXGUY]
Senor Eduardo_82 Offline
miataist
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Ca�ada
nay
#7742245 - 06/20/14 03:08 PM Re: multicoated diffusion filter yay/nay [Re: Senor Eduardo_82]
GSParker
Unregistered

The only filters worth getting, IMO, are circular polarizers and neutral density ones. Everything else is just gimmicky or had their uses back in the film days.

I even stopped using the UV filters because I felt like they were doing more harm than good.

#7742365 - 06/20/14 04:23 PM Re: multicoated diffusion filter yay/nay [Re: ]
tylerdurden Online   embarrased
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Shyea, like I'm telling you
 Originally Posted By: GSParker
The only filters worth getting, IMO, are circular polarizers and neutral density ones. Everything else is just gimmicky or had their uses back in the film days.

I even stopped using the UV filters because I felt like they were doing more harm than good.

And I would say even ND's are less and less useful in the age of PS and multiple exposures. Pretty much only good for lengthening exposures IMO.

#7742651 - 06/20/14 08:33 PM Re: multicoated diffusion filter yay/nay [Re: tylerdurden]
skierd Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: Fairbanks, AK
I think for a lot of what you shoot a polarizing filter would be best. Could be a fun effect to try though.

Oddly enough and somewhat related, I've been looking at some of the old soft focus pentax and tamron lenses after stumbling across one on eBay. Pentax made an 85mm and 28mm "soft" lens, but they're pretty rare especially the 28mm. From f8 to f2.8 or f2.2, depending on the lens, you'd get an increasingly soft image as you opened up the aperture. Also don't have a stop down coupler so you can see how soft the image is in the viewfinder. Tamron also made a 70-150(?) zoom that had three softness settings, designed for portaits. I think Canon and Nikon both had their variants as well, mostly back in the late 80's and early 90's.

#7743390 - 06/21/14 08:56 PM Re: multicoated diffusion filter yay/nay [Re: skierd]
NOT spotch... Offline
Post Master Supreme

Canon has a 135 soft focus 2.8 that's not terrible but has been discontinued and was *massively* eclipsed by the 135 f2.0 L anyway. The SF version is pretty affordable.

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  jsmonet, x, 2000SiRacer, Professor Paki 
Hop to:
Shout Box

CSi Sponsors

DiGBiC Lighters
DiGBiC Lighters
DallasColo
Dallas Colocation
ClubSi.com Shirts
ClubSi-Shirts
GameStop
Black-Friday Specials
Big Brake Kits
StopTech.Sale BBK Clearance
Brake Kits
Buy Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
BuyBrakes
Brake Kits-Pads & Rotors Sets
StopTech Brake Kits
StopTech
StopTech NZ
StopTech
StopTech Australia
StopTech
Hawk Brake Pads
Hawk Brake Pads
Samys Camera
GoPros, Cameras, Gear
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Pad Coupons
Coupon Code "hondafetish"
Porsche Brakes
Porsche Brake Upgrades
2-Piece Rotors-Civic Type-R
2-Piece Civic Rotors
Advertisement

| Brake Pads | | How To Change Brake Pads | | Drilled Slotted Brake Kits Cheap | EBC Brake Kits | Performance Brake Kits | Brake Specials Near Me | How To Replace Brake Pads