Page 1 of 3 123>
Topic Options
#7731395 - 06/12/14 03:54 PM advice sought re: 1/2 marathon [flat] in ~4 months
stickaz_old Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Nor Cal, Hella hurr durr
san jose rock-n-roll marathon, Oct 5, 2014

gives me not quite 4 months

where I'm at: 10 miles/week, max long run of a 10k. Had been fighting some knee issues but those seem to have faded as I reduced mileage.

Goal is just to finish and then maybe go sub 2h, so just a bit over 9 min miles I guess.

Current 5k PR this year is 24:xx [8:00 pace], and my 10k PR is 53:xx, or 8:35/mi or so.

My brief internet research on "how to run a 1/2 marathon" seems to suggest running ~4x a week and 20-24 miles/week or so for this type of goal, with one 'long run' a week, and a mix of speed/tempo work and other stuff I dont really understand.

Am I going to be dissapointed if I gradually increase my mileage to ~15 a week with say a 'speed' day, a 'long/slow' day, and then maybe a tempo workout [3x/wk] on race day? [eg have a bad time or go over 2h, etc], eventually I plan to have my 'long run' in the 10-12 mile range [1x a week]

background: noob jogger that basically started light jogging in Feb. I have 157 miles jogged so far YTD per strava. Yes, I realize that is very little. Last couple months I'm averaging 10 miles/week tho except for 2 weeks I basically took off w/knee probs.

My stretch goal is say 1:45 to 1:50 or so, eg. avging a hair over 8:00/miles.

Any suggestions? I also train for sprint swimming and tris so getting much more time jogging is going to be tough without some sacrifices. Last month I tried to 'double up' workouts [eg swim + bike] or [bike + run] on a given day [~2 hrs of aerobic work/day] but I was burning out so I've backed off and I'm much happier for it.

#7731422 - 06/12/14 04:08 PM Re: advice sought re: 1/2 marathon [flat] in ~4 months [Re: stickaz_old]
Design Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: The OC
I used this one:
http://www.halhigdon.com/training/51312/Half-Marathon-Novice-2-Training-Program

As most people will tell you the key is to not skip the long runs. With your current knee condition I strongly suggest 1) mild strength training, and 2) running no more than every other day. Take Sundays and Wednesdays (or whatever your mid-week would be) and do strength with some elliptical to keep pressure off the joints.

Deadlifts and back squats are easy but very effective leg/back exercises. In my case, it reduced recovery after long runs, from 3 days down to 1. GL.
89 Camaro - Sold
CSI. What's your diversion?

#7731511 - 06/12/14 04:43 PM Re: advice sought re: 1/2 marathon [flat] in ~4 months [Re: Design]
stickaz_old Offline
Post Master Supreme

cool thks, I'm ok with 'simply finishing' and being at/around/just over 2h also. I pretty much hate running but there is some intersection between greater running fitness and doing better in my planned distance for tris [international with the 10k] so I figure why not.
I don't want anything crazy there just say sub 50:00 around this timeframe also on the run leg. hopefully these goals all sort of overlap.

also it should be plainly stated that I don't currently [not in the last couple years] run anywhere near this distance. I think I accidentally did 7.7 miles on a planned 10k workout recently. That was about it. So theres that lol.

#7731636 - 06/12/14 05:45 PM Re: advice sought re: 1/2 marathon [flat] in ~4 months [Re: stickaz_old]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Long Beach, CA
The Higdon plans are great...but like Kent hinted, getting to the race in healthy shape is more important than anything. The plans are great because they don't let you do too much too quickly.

#7732311 - 06/13/14 07:26 AM Re: advice sought re: 1/2 marathon [flat] in ~4 months [Re: Sir Ironpool]
Lividentity Offline
Major Member

Loc: Gehenna
Definitely go with the Higdon plans. I've used them for 2 half marathons and 1 full and planning on doing it again this year for another full.
#7732678 - 06/13/14 10:39 AM Re: advice sought re: 1/2 marathon [flat] in ~4 months [Re: Lividentity]
dirtyS13drifta
Unregistered

Good luck OP. This is how it starts though.
#7754806 - 06/30/14 11:26 AM Re: advice sought re: 1/2 marathon [flat] in ~4 months [Re: ]
stickaz_old Offline
Post Master Supreme

in the #whocares #stoppostingOP file, I officially signed up for the san jose one[before the price went up yet again]
->http://runrocknroll.competitor.com/san-jose

in the 1:55 corral when they asked for an estimated time to be placed among similar 'runners'

that's an 8:50/mi pace or thereabouts

Sunday Oct 5 is my doomsday

*I secretly want to go out a bit quicker and see what happens lol curled up on the sidewalk at mile 10

**as an update to the thread a week ago I managed to do an 11 miler, so I'm getting close to replicating the distance. I think I can go a bit longer than those awesome plans referenced above. Still trying to learn what HR pace [approx.] or HR zone to use for aerobic training.

I tried to do a zone 2 'run' yesterday [~130 HR max] and perhaps it was because I was recovering/kind of spent from a race the day before I was running 11+ minute miles lol. Or maybe that should be my long-run speed for now.

#7754823 - 06/30/14 11:41 AM Re: advice sought re: 1/2 marathon [flat] in ~4 months [Re: stickaz_old]
dirtyS13drifta
Unregistered

I think you'll be able to push to a bit faster than that, but I doubt you'll break 1:50 yet. Though if you're only running? not having to cycle or swim? You might.
FWIW, that's faster than my best so far.

And yeah, I've long thought your LSR pace should be slower. Maybe not 11+ slow, like you said you were recovering. But most the calculators says 2.5 minutes slower than your 5k pace is a good proximation.

#7754980 - 06/30/14 01:29 PM Re: advice sought re: 1/2 marathon [flat] in ~4 months [Re: ]
Design Offline
Post Master Supreme

My suggestion is don't push yourself too hard the first time out and possibly set yourself up for disappointment. There are so many factors such as crowds, hydration, weather, etc. Just go out, take it all in, and enjoy the ride the first time out.
89 Camaro - Sold

#7755011 - 06/30/14 01:55 PM Re: advice sought re: 1/2 marathon [flat] in ~4 months [Re: Design]
Lividentity Offline
Major Member

Loc: Gehenna
You're got 3 months to train and already ran an 11 miler? You shouldn't have any issues with the distance than. In reality you don't even need to run 11 miles to train for a half. If you want to be faster go do some speed work and some hills if you can. You're going to do a lot better if once a week you only run 3 miles, but it is quarter mile repeats than if you do 1 more 8 mile run, imho. Those Hal Higdon plans sure worked that way for me. I followed the plan, actually did speed work and dropped 10 mins on my half PR.
#7755018 - 06/30/14 02:04 PM Re: advice sought re: 1/2 marathon [flat] in ~4 months [Re: Lividentity]
stickaz_old Offline
Post Master Supreme

so reading between the lines I should do something like this?

Tues: pace 5k [for me, something like 8:30 miles]--for a goal pace of 1/2@ 1:50
thurs: Hill repeats or 400m repeats [zone 4 aka hard!], 3 miles or so
Fri: tiny brick at the end of a bike [5k or so], around 9:00 pace [??]
su: long/slow run: 8-10 miles around 10:00/mi pace

sound reasonable for now?
puts me around 15-20 miles for the week depending if I skip thurs or fri [or do both]

on a side note I'll be masters swimming 2x a week and 1-2 surf days/week, at least 1 day of weights and 3-4 bike commute days + possibly a weekend ride so around 80 miles/week

this is probably the absolute max I can squeeze in running without sacrificing something else or doing 2x/day workouts -- which seem to hard for me

thanks for the advice everyone. I think perhaps simple survival is best in my first half. Maybe go out on 9:00 for a solid 5 miles or so and if I feel up to it, maybe push it a little.

#7755020 - 06/30/14 02:08 PM Re: advice sought re: 1/2 marathon [flat] in ~4 months [Re: stickaz_old]
Cheesegoggles Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Here
When can we start calling out OP for not being a "noob jogger"/beginner any longer?
#7755022 - 06/30/14 02:09 PM Re: advice sought re: 1/2 marathon [flat] in ~4 months [Re: Cheesegoggles]
stickaz_old Offline
Post Master Supreme

10k under 50:00 posted on strava?

I've always heard 8:00 pace is the arbitrary threshold between running and jogging?

#7755222 - 06/30/14 04:22 PM Re: advice sought re: 1/2 marathon [flat] in ~4 months [Re: stickaz_old]
dirtyS13drifta
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: Something Witty
10k under 50:00 posted on strava?

Yiiisss!
I'm still a yogger!

#7810567 - 08/08/14 01:42 PM Re: advice sought re: 1/2 marathon [flat] in ~4 months [Re: ]
stickaz_old Offline
Post Master Supreme

update:
body seems to be holding ~15 mile/week pace. wooo

been getting some more quality speedwork in lately, generally been getting the long run in weekly

I'm still a bit scared of the distance/race but it's good for me to have something over my head that is tough to do. Motivates me to get out and jog.

as an example this week I did a tues/thurs tempo-ish short-ish runs (~3m ea), today I'll throw a brick onto a bike commute, and sunday I will do a long run that allows my weekly total to hit 15-16 miles [so sorta depends how far I go on the brick]

Last week I found myself some hills and got some vert in for running. Was nice really, a nice change-up to the flat running I've always done.

#7810584 - 08/08/14 01:52 PM Re: advice sought re: 1/2 marathon [flat] in ~4 months [Re: stickaz_old]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

I highly suggest getting that weekly mileage up to at least 20-25...you'll likely have a far better experience at the race (and recovery-wise).

#7810603 - 08/08/14 02:02 PM Re: advice sought re: 1/2 marathon [flat] in ~4 months [Re: Sir Ironpool]
Impulsive Online   nohc
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Edmonton
I'd agree. I'm pretty sure I could run a half without much issue, but I tend to run 21-25 per week on average in addition to biking a bit over 40.

I'm not the racer in this group, but if your max runs are in the 10k range, just map out a 15k run and do it one day.

#7810605 - 08/08/14 02:03 PM Re: advice sought re: 1/2 marathon [flat] in ~4 months [Re: Sir Ironpool]
stickaz_old Offline
Post Master Supreme

how does this sound? I'm sorta fighting not-re-injuring my knee also

Eg week 1: 15 [this week]
week 2: 16.5
week 3: 18.1
week 4: 19.9 [call it 20!]
week 5: 15 [recover week! woo]
week 6: 20-22
week 7: 15 [taper!]
week 8: 6 [taper!] race week

my long runs presently are in the 8-12 mile range [1x/week], converted to canuck I guess that 11k to 20k

#7810609 - 08/08/14 02:04 PM Re: advice sought re: 1/2 marathon [flat] in ~4 months [Re: Sir Ironpool]
dirtyS13drifta
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: Mrs. Ironmom
I highly suggest getting that weekly mileage up to at least 20-25...you'll likely have a far better experience at the race (and recovery-wise).

With only ~7 weeks and his other training, I'm not sure pushing to 25 would be advised. That's a big increase.
but 15 seems a little light for your first 1/2. I mean I've done 1/2s on 5 miles a week, but my goal pace was slow, and I'd done a few. I had no pain the next day fwiw.

#7810620 - 08/08/14 02:08 PM Re: advice sought re: 1/2 marathon [flat] in ~4 months [Re: ]
Impulsive Online   nohc
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Edmonton
If you're already doing that long of runs, I think you'll be just fine.

I find my knees are bugging me a bit lately (patella rubbing I think). I think it's a combination of biking and squats (and not that much rest). I might try skipping squats for a week since they fuck my legs for 3 days anwyays.

#7810667 - 08/08/14 02:28 PM Re: advice sought re: 1/2 marathon [flat] in ~4 months [Re: Impulsive]
stickaz_old Offline
Post Master Supreme

the week before I have my 'A' race international distance tri for the year \:\| [wee, great timing...]

which means I probably won't quite get the mileage I listed above. Hopefully will hold 15-18 from here out tho. that week should be rough for me [sep 28/sunday my first international Tri, the following sunday oct 5/my first 1/2 marathon]

lol, which is why I list a 2-week taper. Oh well, hopefully next year I can worry about being fast(er)

#7810729 - 08/08/14 02:52 PM Re: advice sought re: 1/2 marathon [flat] in ~4 months [Re: ]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: dirtyS13drifta

With only ~7 weeks and his other training, I'm not sure pushing to 25 would be advised. That's a big increase.
but 15 seems a little light for your first 1/2. I mean I've done 1/2s on 5 miles a week, but my goal pace was slow, and I'd done a few. I had no pain the next day fwiw.

Nah, 6 weeks would be plenty of time to build up to an extra 5
-7 miles a week before he tapers for this race. Like I said, it would make his race far more enjoyable with far less walking.

Either way, he'll do fine.

#7810779 - 08/08/14 03:20 PM Re: advice sought re: 1/2 marathon [flat] in ~4 months [Re: Sir Ironpool]
stickaz_old Offline
Post Master Supreme

walking? really? lol I'd be surprised if I get any split over 9:00 \:\|

when the heat was less, I avg'd 8:45 over 11 miles recently. I did stop to pee tho for like ~2 mins [~3 months ago]

#7810965 - 08/08/14 05:21 PM Re: advice sought re: 1/2 marathon [flat] in ~4 months [Re: Sir Ironpool]
dirtyS13drifta
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: dirtyS13drifta

Nah, 6 weeks would be plenty of time to build up to an extra 5
-7 miles a week before he tapers for this race. Like I said, it would make his race far more enjoyable with far less walking.

Either way, he'll do fine.

7 weeks to increase 10 miles wouldn't be much, though it's still nearly double his current weekly mileage. We're not talking about an established runner though, he's already ramped up a lot. And he has many other activities, and has already had his body tell him to watch it(see knee posts 3 months ago).

I think based on the dramatic change in lifestyle in the last 12 months, he'd have to trade off by reducing one of his other activities.

I honestly don't think that 1 week of doing 25 miles vs say 20, for a half, offers much benefit. But I think it does increase risk. That's my opinion.

Op will probably be fine though either way.

#7810970 - 08/08/14 05:26 PM Re: advice sought re: 1/2 marathon [flat] in ~4 months [Re: stickaz_old]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

Lol, wasn't trying to offend you...just offering my suggestion in a "looking for advice" thread, based on my personal experience. \:\)

#7810972 - 08/08/14 05:29 PM Re: advice sought re: 1/2 marathon [flat] in ~4 months [Re: Sir Ironpool]
stickaz_old Offline
Post Master Supreme

thanks for the advice, I am scared of some kind of lower-body issue tho, honestly.

probably the 10% rule is safe to follow [per that table I posted above] to ramp to maybe 22 miles 6 weeks from today though. woot

btw fuck running!

#7810975 - 08/08/14 05:30 PM Re: advice sought re: 1/2 marathon [flat] in ~4 months [Re: Sir Ironpool]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

/backs out of thread.

#7810978 - 08/08/14 05:33 PM Re: advice sought re: 1/2 marathon [flat] in ~4 months [Re: Sir Ironpool]
stickaz_old Offline
Post Master Supreme

nah it's fine, I appreciate all advice. Perhaps Art or somebody can come by soon and call me fat to help complete the circle ;\)

I will try to increase mileage, but I am an old fat fuck and am reaching a bit here. Super desk jockey too. However it is also fun pushing the boundaries a bit. I can safely say I no longer hate running quite as much as I used to. Who knows, might stick with it for a bit

my weight has crept up to 194# also lol! I'm not sure wtf is going on it *could* be lean mass but somehow I doubt it

**also of note, now only 6#'s away from racing as a cylde! [200# + in some races]

***project fat-fuck resumed. I knew that was too much beer

#7811003 - 08/08/14 05:53 PM Re: advice sought re: 1/2 marathon [flat] in ~4 months [Re: stickaz_old]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

Keep in mind that I was in a very similar position as you when I started my foray into this nuttiness. Mid 30's, 60 pounds overweight and couch to full retard in 10 seconds flat.

I know what it's like fear injury and to deal with all those initial aches and pains as your body gets used to this new stress put on it. The thing with running though, is that the only way to make it stronger and more resistant to injury is to push it. That 10% IMO is very conservative. As long as you listen to it, your body is capable of much more stress. You have a good base fitness already, so ramping up a little should be okay. You're getting very little ROI from swimming and biking, so it's okay to ease off those and put a little more I to your run, where you'll see the tangible results come race day (in both the Tri and half)
13.1 is great distance because it demands respect, but also because you can "race" it. My own results went:
1:50
1:45
1:29
all in about 18 months. No specific training other than building up my mileage base.

The main thing is to have fun though, so do what works for you. I've successfully "coached" a handful of people to PR's at multiple distances, so I know that my suggestions don't just work for me. Take whatever you want out of all that, and go out and kick some ass.

#7811012 - 08/08/14 05:56 PM Re: advice sought re: 1/2 marathon [flat] in ~4 months [Re: stickaz_old]
gamby Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: RI
Gaining weight at this activity level is impressive. Are you doing the "I'm training a ton so I'll eat whatever the fuck I want and burn it off later" method?

Even dropping 5 lbs will reduce the shock on your legs a good amount. I hope you can figure it out (you know the answer, it's just an answer that is no fun at all).

still have an EM1--go figure

#7811027 - 08/08/14 06:10 PM Re: advice sought re: 1/2 marathon [flat] in ~4 months [Re: gamby]
Ampsman in Extremis Offline
I PITY THE FOOL!
Post Master Supreme

Loc: San Jose, Ca, USA
I would get out on the trails once a week for hills, great speed work plus its easier on your body than pounding the pavement.
Hit me up and I can take you out and show you some good spots if you're up.

Paki: 3:36

#7811028 - 08/08/14 06:12 PM Re: advice sought re: 1/2 marathon [flat] in ~4 months [Re: Ampsman in Extremis]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: ampsman
I would get out on the trails once a week for hills, great speed work plus its easier on your body than pounding the pavement.

#7811035 - 08/08/14 06:19 PM Re: advice sought re: 1/2 marathon [flat] in ~4 months [Re: Sir Ironpool]
Ampsman in Extremis Offline
I PITY THE FOOL!
Post Master Supreme

Loc: San Jose, Ca, USA
 Originally Posted By: ampsman

Paki: 3:36

#7811052 - 08/08/14 06:35 PM Re: advice sought re: 1/2 marathon [flat] in ~4 months [Re: Ampsman in Extremis]
stickaz_old Offline
Post Master Supreme

#7811367 - 08/08/14 11:17 PM Re: advice sought re: 1/2 marathon [flat] in ~4 months [Re: stickaz_old]
Design Offline
Post Master Supreme

I also disagree on increasing the mileage this soon before the half. Especially with the OP's previous injuries. The key is really the long run with at least two shorter runs to keep the leg muscles fresh. Maybe work in elliptical and/or strength training on the off days.

Finish the race, evaluate, decide if worth doing more competitively. My 2 cents...

Edited by Design (08/08/14 11:18 PM)
89 Camaro - Sold

Page 1 of 3 123>

Moderator:  Silock, Professor Paki 
Hop to:
Shout Box

CSi Sponsors

DiGBiC Lighters
DiGBiC Lighters
DallasColo
Dallas Colocation
ClubSi.com Shirts
ClubSi-Shirts
GameStop
Black-Friday Specials
Big Brake Kits
StopTech.Sale BBK Clearance
Brake Kits
Buy Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
BuyBrakes
Brake Kits-Pads & Rotors Sets
StopTech Brake Kits
StopTech
StopTech NZ
StopTech
StopTech Australia
StopTech
Hawk Brake Pads
Hawk Brake Pads
Samys Camera
GoPros, Cameras, Gear
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Pad Coupons
Coupon Code "hondafetish"
Porsche Brakes
Porsche Brake Upgrades
2-Piece Rotors-Civic Type-R
2-Piece Civic Rotors
Advertisement

| Brake Pads | | How To Change Brake Pads | | Drilled Slotted Brake Kits Cheap | EBC Brake Kits | Performance Brake Kits | Brake Specials Near Me | How To Replace Brake Pads