Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#7662678 - 04/24/14 08:49 AM What should I be eating before working out?
SFA Offline
Jr Poster

So just a brief background on myself.. I'm a 30 something guy who is fairly out of shape. I live a fairly sedentary lifestyle (my work week can span 60+ hours a week). Married with two very young kids a long with the long work hours and commute, I'm finding myself very pressed for time.

I am not fat, but my body composition is not appropriate as I am really weak in my shoulders/arms and upper area. I carry my weight mostly in my mid-section.

Fast forward to today, I've been a gym member on/off for the last 3 years, but nothing too serious. I would typically hit the treadmill for 15 mins or so and randomly try the machines around the gym. I know technique and schedule wise I was doing things wrong. Decided I finally had enough of this and signed myself up with a personal trainer which I'm hoping to commit to so he can guide me.

I prefer working out in the evening around 8pm to 9pm. My problem is, I don't know what/when to eat before working out. I've tried eating a dinner (chicken and rice kind of thing) an hour before working out, and I did not feel good at all. The problem is also I commute by train, so by the time I leave work at 6:15 I am arrive at the gym around 7pm.

Yesterday I figured making a smoothie (frozen berries, bannana, almond milk and protein whey) to gulp down at 7pm was my best bet. Is this an appropriate meal/whatever that I should take before hitting the gym and seeing my trainer at 8pm?

After the gym lastnight, I just came home and ended up having 1.5 cup of cottage cheese with some honey and called it a night.

My work schedule will not change in the future. So I think I need to find a way to feed myself enough and at appropriate times so that I am prepared when I'm at the gym.

If my smoothie is appropriate. Is there anything else I can eat to help satisfy my hunger before going to the gym? I'm thinking of eating the cottage cheese (maybe with some granola) as an alternative for the days I'm not wanting a smoothie. I also need to think about what to eat for thsoe days when I am in a real rush and I have no time to go home and make a smoothie (e.g., something to grab from a supermarket or something).

Any input or help is appreciated.

#7662743 - 04/24/14 09:25 AM Re: What should I be eating before working out? [Re: SFA]
Silock Moderator Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Jayhawk Country
Smoothie is fine, but don't force yourself to eat if you're not hungry. Waiting until after you exercise is totally fine. If you're just hungry, and that's the problem, eat a later lunch with a mid morning smoothie to keep you satisfied until then, and dinner after the gym.

The biggest thing is that you don't have to eat all the time, especially if you aren't hungry. And learning to ignore hunger is a big part of losing weigh/burning fat, so just because your stomach is growling doesn't mean you HAVE to eat.

You have enough stored energy in your body to make it through a workout without "fueling up" before you go. Just make sure that you are burning more calories overall than than you're eating and the rest will sort itself out.

#7662934 - 04/24/14 10:53 AM Re: What should I be eating before working out? [Re: Silock]
137 Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Newsomville, CA
and if that is too complicated, my go to is anything that is fast digesting. the problem with a smoothie is it's full of carbs and it could either be sucrose or fructose based depending on what kind of fruit you're using. And while that may not seem important, a banana high in potassium, great for cramps, is fructose and those carbs go to your liver not your muscles.

Pineapple, kiwi, sucrose goes to the muscles. These are all stupid things nobody cares about.

Also depending on how your body reacts to shit, you could end up experiencing hypoglycemia mid workout from a raised insulin level.

Best to just eat how you normally do throughout the day and just go to the gym on an empty stomach.

I personally don't like to eat before working out, I'll sip on something throughout my workout but that's for another day.

A go to favorite if I haven't eaten for hours is a serving of grits with 2 tablespoons of peanut butter or almond butter for healthy fats and some walden farms chocolate sauce, or sugar free hersheys whatever floats your boat. It's fast digesting, won't weigh you down, and tastes pretty damn good.

#7663420 - 04/24/14 02:25 PM Re: What should I be eating before working out? [Re: SFA]
Roxanne Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Ask me about bio-currency
Depends on the workout, but I usually have lots of water and a couple of eggs scrambled with some kale, spinach and swiss chard. Maybe a teaspoon of almond butter if I need an extra boost.
#7663503 - 04/24/14 02:59 PM Re: What should I be eating before working out? [Re: Roxanne]
Silock Moderator Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Jayhawk Country
What Wayne said is true, although pineapple and kiwi both have significant amounts of fructose as well as glucose and sucrose. So they aren't just sucrose, although the ratio is higher than in a lot of other fruits.

And you can also refuel muscles with fructose, but this is starting to get complicated. Fructose preferentially fills liver glycogen, but it will also fill muscle glycogen if your muscles are glycogen depleted. Best not to worry about these subtle differences now, though. In the long run, it makes little difference.

#7663613 - 04/24/14 03:55 PM Re: What should I be eating before working out? [Re: Silock]
It's Art Offline
Bitch of the Deer
Post Master Supreme

Way too overcomplicated shit Wayne
#7663790 - 04/24/14 06:33 PM Re: What should I be eating before working out? [Re: It's Art]
137 Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Newsomville, CA
 Originally Posted By: Uncle Arto

I'm just saying... hella complicated, I was smashing smoothies at one point too.

#7663872 - 04/24/14 07:49 PM Re: What should I be eating before working out? [Re: 137]
It's Art Offline
Bitch of the Deer
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: 137
 Originally Posted By: Uncle Arto

I'm just saying... hella complicated, I was smashing smoothies at one point too.
I'm just saying

#7665286 - 04/25/14 05:17 PM Re: What should I be eating before working out? [Re: It's Art]
DieZel Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: 18th green
Fact of the matter is what you eat an hour before training has zero fucking effect...

just eat bruh...

the only thing that is going to make a difference "pre workout" is if you "mentally need" food in your stomach...

#7665316 - 04/25/14 05:41 PM Re: What should I be eating before working out? [Re: DieZel]
Impulsive Online   nohc
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Edmonton
I simply eat what I think will be the balance between feeling good, not feeling hungry, empty or bloated.

#7665430 - 04/25/14 07:32 PM Re: What should I be eating before working out? [Re: Impulsive]
DieZel Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: 18th green
 Originally Posted By: Impulsive
I simply eat what I think will be the balance between feeling good, not feeling hungry, empty or bloated.

/thread

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  Silock, Professor Paki 
Hop to:
Shout Box

CSi Sponsors

DiGBiC Lighters
DiGBiC Lighters
DallasColo
Dallas Colocation
ClubSi.com Shirts
ClubSi-Shirts
GameStop
Black-Friday Specials
Big Brake Kits
StopTech.Sale BBK Clearance
Brake Kits
Buy Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
BuyBrakes
Brake Kits-Pads & Rotors Sets
StopTech Brake Kits
StopTech
StopTech NZ
StopTech
StopTech Australia
StopTech
Hawk Brake Pads
Hawk Brake Pads
Samys Camera
GoPros, Cameras, Gear
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Pad Coupons
Coupon Code "hondafetish"
Porsche Brakes
Porsche Brake Upgrades
2-Piece Rotors-Civic Type-R
2-Piece Civic Rotors
Advertisement

| Brake Pads | | How To Change Brake Pads | | Drilled Slotted Brake Kits Cheap | EBC Brake Kits | Performance Brake Kits | Brake Specials Near Me | How To Replace Brake Pads