Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#7624330 - 03/29/14 03:23 PM This is back focused correct?
LNXGUY Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Barrie, Ont,
So the Canon 100-400 I just picked up has been giving me nothing but fits when combined with my 60D.. I cannot get a sharp image out of this fucking thing unless I switch MF and do it that way. Today is a perfect example.. This bird was maybe 15ft away @ 400mm f7.1 center focus point, AF set to one shot. I also made the focus point visible in the review so I know exactly where it was supposed to be... Dead nuts on the bird.. There's no fucking way this should out of focus. At least something in the picture is in focus, just not what I wanted. So now here's the thing, no MFA on the 60D and there's no way I'm sending in both the body and the lens to Canon for calibration. Is there a 7D in my near future?

Visit Sponsors! Help CSi !
#7624335 - 03/29/14 03:33 PM Re: This is back focused correct? [Re: LNXGUY]
Huggy Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Cincinnati, OH
That's definitely back focused. But to be sure, go take some photos of absolutely motionless objects (street sign for example), off a tripod, and find out.

You have to remember that at 400mm, the ever so slightest motion by you or the subject with the camera will change the focal point quickly.

I have my 7D's autofocus set on the fastest setting as the medium setting isn't fast enough, not sure if the 60D has this setting or not.

#7624343 - 03/29/14 03:40 PM Re: This is back focused correct? [Re: Huggy]
LNXGUY Offline
Post Master Supreme

Having it on 'One Shot' though moving it around after the focus point has been established shouldn't make a lick of difference (As long as I keep the shutter button half pressed) I had the camera resting on the door of the car, shooting from the inside (Engine turned off as well).. Bird wasn't moving around either, no wind, no nothing.

I'll give the tripod test a shot.

#7624412 - 03/29/14 04:52 PM Re: This is back focused correct? [Re: LNXGUY]
flyEX #1 Administrator Offline
Man in the Box
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Down in a Hole
I'm betting it's the 60D. (as you could adjust the focus with pretty much any other canon dslr body in the price range before and after it) The same thing happens with my 60D using the 70-200mm 2.8 II with a 2X TC. MF only and even then the focus ring doesn't have enough travel on a crop body.

If you get another aps-c canon I will personally drive up to Canadia and kick you in the balls.

#7624419 - 03/29/14 04:57 PM Re: This is back focused correct? [Re: flyEX #1]
LNXGUY Offline
Post Master Supreme

I'm not going FF, don't have the extra $$$ and replacements for my fav lenses (10-22mm, 17-55mm) will be way too expensive. The thing that gets me is this... I've used another 100-400 (Which I currently also have in my possession) on this body and it was dead nuts sharp using AF. So perhaps a combination of both the new to me 100-400 and the body is the issue?

Is it possible for the body to get worse over time? Getting banging around inside it's case while in the boat? I just don't get it... Anytime I take it anywhere it's in a padded Pelican case.

#7624439 - 03/29/14 05:30 PM Re: This is back focused correct? [Re: LNXGUY]
Man in the Box
Post Master Supreme

The mirror can get knocked loose but probably not if it's just this lens. Probably something micro-adjust could fix with a button press or two (if the 60D had it). Although I've seen what you can do to a nifty fifty and am pretty sure I own your old rebel XS that looks like someone cleaned the LCD screen with sandpaper...

I still have my 17-55mm. After buying a FF body I went a year with my widest EF lens being a 50mm. If you keep shooting, FF is only going to get more affordable. I want to say a used 5D2 is the same price as the new 70D and the FF sensor from 2008 still crushes it. I wanted to replace my 60D with the 70D until I saw the sample images.

#7624480 - 03/29/14 06:06 PM Re: This is back focused correct? [Re: flyEX #1]
LNXGUY Offline
Post Master Supreme

Dude, that LCD was fine before I sold it to Spotch

I'll try the other 100-400 I've got and see how it is.. I don't have this problem with my 10-22, 17-55 or the 70-200 F4 I've got. A lot of the time I'm relying quite a bit on the AF because the camera is about an inch from the water and it hasn't let me down yet..

#7624497 - 03/29/14 06:20 PM Re: This is back focused correct? [Re: LNXGUY]
scootergeek Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: East of St. Louis
Spotch would have sent both back to Canon multiple times by now. And then sold the lens to buy some other focal length (probably prime).

Get a 7D.

#7624804 - 03/29/14 09:38 PM Re: This is back focused correct? [Re: scootergeek]
busfare Offline
tickets plz
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Dark Side of the Moon
Don't get a 7D. The sensor is old and it's prone to ERR 40 which bricks the camera. Costs about $270 to fix.

If OP wasn't such a grizzly bear, I'd suggest a weather sealed Fuji XT1. Their lens selection will be pretty awesome come fall/winter.

#7624830 - 03/29/14 09:52 PM Re: This is back focused correct? [Re: busfare]
LNXGUY Offline
Post Master Supreme

I guess it's MF for now at least. MOTHERFUCKER!!!!

#7627256 - 03/31/14 05:02 PM Re: This is back focused correct? [Re: LNXGUY]
Nate047 Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: La La Land, CA
Bill you can do what's call "auto focus micro adjustment" to fix this issue. It's super easy, just takes a bit of time to do. Worth doing for each of your lenses probably. I do mine once, and then again if you send either the lens or body in for repair.

The "proper" way of doing this involves basically a 45-degree angled plane, but you can just use a ruler and eyeball it for the same results. Shoot me a PM if you'd like more info.

Nate
"Nate047 > NateSTL" - TenTwelve
"As long as I have a face, you'll always have a place to sit." - SlowBlackCar

*insert picture of stock Fit here*

#7627283 - 03/31/14 05:21 PM Re: This is back focused correct? [Re: Nate047]
Senor Eduardo_82 Offline
miataist
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Ca�ada
Baby got back (focus)
#7627302 - 03/31/14 05:35 PM Re: This is back focused correct? [Re: Nate047]
scootergeek Offline
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: Nate047
Bill you can do what's call "auto focus micro adjustment" to fix this issue. It's super easy, just takes a bit of time to do. Worth doing for each of your lenses probably. I do mine once, and then again if you send either the lens or body in for repair.

The "proper" way of doing this involves basically a 45-degree angled plane, but you can just use a ruler and eyeball it for the same results. Shoot me a PM if you'd like more info.

Nate

Does the 60D offer micro-focusing? I thought the whole discussion revolved around it not having that feature.

#7627575 - 03/31/14 09:11 PM Re: This is back focused correct? [Re: scootergeek]
LNXGUY Offline
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: scootergeek
 Originally Posted By: Nate047

Nate

Does the 60D offer micro-focusing? I thought the whole discussion revolved around it not having that feature.

It doesn't, but what I just picked up tonight does. Reviews are great, new AF system blows the 60D out of the water, FF wasn't an option... I was really thinking about the 7D but the reviews of it are less then stellar. (Err 40 issues, not very good high ISO, etc) No pricing available for the 7D Mark II yet either which should be released in the next month or so. (Probably way out of my price range anyhow) so I thought what the fuck, why not get the most of all the $$$ I've dropped on lenses? The MFA feature alone is worth it to me.

#7627612 - 03/31/14 09:38 PM Re: This is back focused correct? [Re: LNXGUY]
Man in the Box
Post Master Supreme

Nice. Canon showered it with good shit compared to the 60D. And definitely a ton less than the 7DmkII if it is ever a thing. Wish I shot moving stuff enough to justify one.
#7629115 - 04/01/14 07:27 PM Re: This is back focused correct? [Re: LNXGUY]
scootergeek Offline
Post Master Supreme

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  jsmonet, x, 2000SiRacer, Professor Paki 
Hop to:
Shout Box

CSi Sponsors

DiGBiC Lighters
DiGBiC Lighters
DallasColo
Dallas Colocation
ClubSi.com Shirts
ClubSi-Shirts
GameStop
Black-Friday Specials
Big Brake Kits
StopTech.Sale BBK Clearance
Brake Kits
Buy Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
BuyBrakes
Brake Kits-Pads & Rotors Sets
StopTech Brake Kits
StopTech
StopTech NZ
StopTech
StopTech Australia
StopTech
Hawk Brake Pads
Hawk Brake Pads
Samys Camera
GoPros, Cameras, Gear
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Pad Coupons
Coupon Code "hondafetish"
Porsche Brakes
Porsche Brake Upgrades
2-Piece Rotors-Civic Type-R
2-Piece Civic Rotors
Advertisement

| Brake Pads | | How To Change Brake Pads | | Drilled Slotted Brake Kits Cheap | EBC Brake Kits | Performance Brake Kits | Brake Specials Near Me | How To Replace Brake Pads