Page 2 of 2 <12
Topic Options
#7431875 - 12/08/13 02:41 PM Re: Slightly embarrassing but we all have to start somewhere... [Re: ElectronVtec]
ElectronVtec Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: IN
Exhaustion test today, I did 28 consecutive push-ups. Was shooting for 30 but I'll take a near-100% improvement after 2 weeks. I don't expect that trajectory to continue but who knows...

#7432067 - 12/08/13 05:24 PM Re: Slightly embarrassing but we all have to start somewhere... [Re: ElectronVtec]
Silock Moderator Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Jayhawk Country
It could!
#7433843 - 12/09/13 06:03 PM Re: Slightly embarrassing but we all have to start somewhere... [Re: Silock]
ElectronVtec Offline
Post Master Supreme

Almost had a letdown on the pushups today:

17/17
12/12
13/13
12/13

Just couldn't do that last one. Then I was supposed to do as many as I could flat out, after 2 minutes rest. Minimum 17. I waited about 7 minutes and got through 20. 74 total today, arms feel like jello.

#7434021 - 12/09/13 06:56 PM Re: Slightly embarrassing but we all have to start somewhere... [Re: Silock]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Long Beach, CA
 Originally Posted By: Silock
It could!

I agree. I found with body strength excercises like pull-ups and push-ups, our bodies are capable of way more than we think with nothing more than doing them on a regular basis.

#7434036 - 12/09/13 07:01 PM Re: Slightly embarrassing but we all have to start somewhere... [Re: Sir Ironpool]
ElectronVtec Offline
Post Master Supreme

I'm finding that as I do more, position is important. For one, when done properly (arms not spread too far, in my case), I don't feel it as much in my shoulders and much more in my triceps. I did the first set too wide and my shoulders actually hurt a little. I'm also finding that a good rhythm and good breathing helps a ton...

#7434098 - 12/09/13 07:33 PM Re: Slightly embarrassing but we all have to start somewhere... [Re: ElectronVtec]
Silock Moderator Offline
Post Master Supreme

If you were going to push a car, where would your hands be?

That's where they should be when you do a pushup.

#7434465 - 12/09/13 10:28 PM Re: Slightly embarrassing but we all have to start somewhere... [Re: Silock]
ElectronVtec Offline
Post Master Supreme

On the steering wheel? \:D

#7434564 - 12/09/13 11:22 PM Re: Slightly embarrassing but we all have to start somewhere... [Re: ElectronVtec]
Silock Moderator Offline
Post Master Supreme

Lol
#7443600 - 12/14/13 11:35 AM Re: Slightly embarrassing but we all have to start somewhere... [Re: Silock]
ElectronVtec Offline
Post Master Supreme

Been slacking a little \:\( Busy at work, busy for the holidays, blegh. Also discouraged I couldn't finish Wednesday's routine. But, I have to think of it as a setback, not a failure. So, last night I knew I wasn't going to be able to do "day 3" of the third week so instead of following the plan, per se, I did 81 push-ups over the course of an hour.

Didn't go to the gym on Thursday, buddy hurt his back and the wife and I were feeling lazy. But, we went this morning. The thing that sucks about a 20 minute drive to the gym is that when the weather sucks, it's a 40 minute drive, lol. But we went, ran a mile, then my buddy proceeded to nuke my arms for the rest of the day. Started working with free weights today instead of machines. My arms are jello, but I'll survive.

#7461515 - 12/24/13 11:49 PM Re: Slightly embarrassing but we all have to start somewhere... [Re: ElectronVtec]
ElectronVtec Offline
Post Master Supreme

Slight update - my buddy has been sick for several days + the holidays and I've not been keeping up like I should. We've been working out much harder at the gym than originally so my body hasn't been dealing with the pushup challenge well at all. We did squats last Thursday... only 135 lbs for me and that shit nearly crippled me for 5 days. Only today am I feeling "normal" in my thighs. So out of shape...

I did have a minor breakthrough on bench though. We've transitioned off of machines and into freeweights. I had the bright idea to do dips when asked what exercise I'd like to do. So after 3 x 10 dips, we went to the bench. My arms were on fire already and with my long-armed frame, bench has never been my friend. I started with 95 lbs on the bench. The first set, I got through it but my left side was letting me down. On the second set, I could only get through 5 reps I think. Left side had had enough. I asked my buddy Ryan if I could go down to 85 so I could finish the 3rd set, he declined. I rested about 5-6 minutes and was able to push through the 3rd set completely. That was a good feeling. I didn't care about how much weight was on the bar at that point.

I also was able to run 6 laps in a row (0.75 miles) without stopping or giving in to my lungs. My lungs also didn't burn as bad as they have in the past. I'll work out again tomorrow night so hopefully I haven't lost too much in the last week.

#7466516 - 12/30/13 01:20 AM Re: Slightly embarrassing but we all have to start somewhere... [Re: ElectronVtec]
LovemySi Offline
Sweet Sweet Kandi
Post Master Sr

Loc: Cali
Good job EV, I'm working on similar things. Maybe I should look into a challenge of some sort to keep a system going...
The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself? ---xterm

#7505391 - 01/19/14 12:48 AM Re: Slightly embarrassing but we all have to start somewhere... [Re: LovemySi]
ElectronVtec Offline
Post Master Supreme

Thanks! Just a quick update, I weighed in the other day at 179 which marks the first time in probably 10 years I've been in the 170's. I've been battling an illness so gym time hasn't happened this week but we're going tomorrow to get back into a rhythm. We've been going at least once, usually twice a week and I feel great for it. Due to my sinus bug, I did get tested for blood oxygen and BP which are both significantly improved since switching to an e-cig 3 months ago. BP before was 140/90 and blood oxygen got as low as 94%. Last Tuesday those numbers were 120/70 and 98% so that's good. I had my fasting blood test on Thursday and get the results on Monday. I am beyond hopeful that I have done better than my last test which was 135 blood sugar and 6.9% A1C. I will update the thread, for better or worse, once I get those results back in a few days.

#7505395 - 01/19/14 12:56 AM Re: Slightly embarrassing but we all have to start somewhere... [Re: ElectronVtec]
Silock Moderator Offline
Post Master Supreme

Nice!
#7505664 - 01/19/14 01:40 PM Re: Slightly embarrassing but we all have to start somewhere... [Re: Silock]
Impulsive Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Edmonton
Good work man.

#7506446 - 01/19/14 10:46 PM Re: Slightly embarrassing but we all have to start somewhere... [Re: Impulsive]
LovemySi Offline
Sweet Sweet Kandi
Post Master Sr

Loc: Cali
Way to go EV! Stick with it, it's obviously walking in the right direction. \:\)
The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself? ---xterm

#7506550 - 01/20/14 12:22 AM Re: Slightly embarrassing but we all have to start somewhere... [Re: LovemySi]
137 Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Newsomville, CA
nice, wish I could get to 179 sooner but slow and steady for me.

#7506614 - 01/20/14 06:34 AM Re: Slightly embarrassing but we all have to start somewhere... [Re: 137]
wolfsburg2 Offline
Post Master Supreme

good work EV! Keep it up.

#7507271 - 01/20/14 12:29 PM Re: Slightly embarrassing but we all have to start somewhere... [Re: ]
ElectronVtec Offline
Post Master Supreme

So I had my much-anticipated doctor follow-up today, 90 days from my last (and terrible) blood sugar results). And I am happy to report that whatever I'm doing, it's all working much better than it was before. My doctor basically almost gave me a hug and said he almost never sees his patients going in the right direction, so that was pretty cool to hear. I have another test/follow-up in 6 months. The highlights were average blood sugar is down 17 points, he didn't say exactly what my A1C was except he's very happy with it, and my resting heart rate is some 20% lower than it was 3 months ago, if memory serves. So yea, he's happy, I'm happy, and tonight's a workout night.

#7508289 - 01/20/14 08:16 PM Re: Slightly embarrassing but we all have to start somewhere... [Re: ElectronVtec]
gamby Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: RI
Always a good thing to have a happy doc. Congrats on the turnaround. \:\)

still have an EM1--go figure

#7508982 - 01/21/14 09:45 AM Re: Slightly embarrassing but we all have to start somewhere... [Re: gamby]
swirlyS13drifta
Unregistered

Nice job man. How's the push up progress? still going for em?

Done any more free-weights?

Get at it. Soon we'll get you on SS and you can start shit talking the whole forum. ;\)

#7509689 - 01/21/14 03:51 PM Re: Slightly embarrassing but we all have to start somewhere... [Re: ]
ElectronVtec Offline
Post Master Supreme

Heh. I unfortunately didn't stick with the pushups due to moving to freeweights at the gym. A couple of "day after gym" days where my arms were noodles put an end to that. I think now though, I can probably make it work. I've noticed I am a lot less sore for less time after working out so I take that as a good sign. I need to keep up on those, at least on the weekends or something.

#7582473 - 03/01/14 03:53 PM Re: Slightly embarrassing but we all have to start somewhere... [Re: ElectronVtec]
ElectronVtec Offline
Post Master Supreme

Made it to the gym three times this week and just about every other day I'm noticing some type of change when I look in the mirror. I'm by no means toned at this point but the difference between three months ago to now is stark. Still have a little bit of a belly going on but it's shrinking by the week.

My favorite thing this week was a question during, of all things, an application for voluntary life insurance - "At any point in the last year have you lost at least 15 pounds?" I added it up and to this time last year I've lost 30 pounds. Doesn't even seem possible but just a combination of watching my portions, my sugar intake, and working out 1-2 times a week for an hour has made a major impact both on how I feel and how I look. I'll give some of the credit to this thread, putting myself out there and "on the spot" helped to keep me motivated in the beginning. Now, it's pretty much just normal that we come home on Tues and Thurs, get a quick bite to eat, and we're off to the Y.

#7582696 - 03/01/14 07:41 PM Re: Slightly embarrassing but we all have to start somewhere... [Re: ElectronVtec]
Impulsive Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Edmonton
God Jawb Tawd!

#7583042 - 03/02/14 08:03 AM Re: Slightly embarrassing but we all have to start somewhere... [Re: Impulsive]
ElectronVtec Offline
Post Master Supreme

Thanks Quarry!

#7584746 - 03/03/14 12:27 PM Re: Slightly embarrassing but we all have to start somewhere... [Re: ElectronVtec]
stickaz_old Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Nor Cal, Hella hurr durr
good stuff!

#7585012 - 03/03/14 02:42 PM Re: Slightly embarrassing but we all have to start somewhere... [Re: stickaz_old]
HondaBilly Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: Hinton
Nice work!
Page 2 of 2 <12

Moderator:  Silock, Professor Paki 
Hop to:
Shout Box

CSi Sponsors

DiGBiC Lighters
DiGBiC Lighters
DallasColo
Dallas Colocation
ClubSi.com Shirts
ClubSi-Shirts
GameStop
Black-Friday Specials
Big Brake Kits
StopTech.Sale BBK Clearance
Brake Kits
Buy Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
BuyBrakes
Brake Kits-Pads & Rotors Sets
StopTech Brake Kits
StopTech
StopTech NZ
StopTech
StopTech Australia
StopTech
Hawk Brake Pads
Hawk Brake Pads
Samys Camera
GoPros, Cameras, Gear
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Pad Coupons
Coupon Code "hondafetish"
Porsche Brakes
Porsche Brake Upgrades
2-Piece Rotors-Civic Type-R
2-Piece Civic Rotors
Advertisement

| Brake Pads | | How To Change Brake Pads | | Drilled Slotted Brake Kits Cheap | EBC Brake Kits | Performance Brake Kits | Brake Specials Near Me | How To Replace Brake Pads