Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#2020656 - 11/10/07 09:52 AM OBD failed to communicate?
BrionicMan Offline
Jr Poster

Loc: NorthEast
Have a 2000 SI with a recent swap to a B16b from a 2000 Type R purchased from HMotorsonline. Car runs like a champ, no ECU codes being thrown. Anyway, just tried to pass NJ state inspection and it failed OBD Communications. I do have the original B16a ECU(replaced it with the ECU that came with the motor) and my factory wiring harness was used for the swap. Any ideas? Should I put the original ECU back for inspection? Thanks in advance.

Visit Sponsors! Help CSi !
#2022968 - 11/11/07 01:07 PM Re: OBD failed to communicate? [Re: BrionicMan]
Import Tuner Offline
Gold Member
Post Master Sr

Loc: Tacoma, Wash..
IF you put your original ECU back in the car, you'll probably get a CEL for the CKF sensor...
IF you do, you'll need to swap the oil pump and CKF sensor from the original B16...

I don't believe that JDM cars use the data link connector...

#2029628 - 11/13/07 02:00 PM Re: OBD failed to communicate? [Re: Import Tuner]
Slurp56 Moderator Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: S21
 Originally Posted By: Import Tuner
IF you put your original ECU back in the car, you'll probably get a CEL for the CKF sensor...
IF you do, you'll need to swap the oil pump and CKF sensor from the original B16...

Correct, you will not be able to read info from the JDM ECU using the data link connector. I am unsure if this is because they do not use the DLC in Japan or it is a different protocol. You will need to put your original ECU back in the car, and as Donny said, hook up the CKF sensor.

#2474212 - 03/25/08 07:56 PM Re: OBD failed to communicate? [Re: Slurp56]
NCSkylineR33 Offline

Loc: Hubert, NC
Even if you use the US ECU you will need to modify the harness you used. I did the exact same thing you did... I got a B16B off of HMO.com and put it in my 2000 Si, the stock U.S. ECU will communicate with emissions BUT you will still get a failure and need to modify that harness to bypass that sensor it's looking for that JDM motors/ECU's don't have.

If you take it to a knowledgable shop show them the code it is flashing they will know what to do. If not I can give you a number to a shop here that does the modification for $330. Will garuntee you to pass emissions with a JDM motor

#2474214 - 03/25/08 07:57 PM Re: OBD failed to communicate? [Re: Import Tuner]
NCSkylineR33 Offline

Loc: Hubert, NC
 Originally Posted By: Import Tuner

You are correct, no cars in Japan use data connectors, emissions is not tested in Japan

#7249151 - 08/22/13 08:21 PM Re: OBD failed to communicate? [Re: BrionicMan]
bahaba Offline

In a census taken in 1757, l non-indigenous population was of 1,124 inhabitants, 14% were white, 15% were mestizos and 71% were slaves. It was felt that the mosquitos were about 7,000. in 1768 Spanish military victory forced England to evacuate all who were there established along the coast. Most went to Belize, but a significant number were Creoles. The Spanish attempts to settle in this area failed after 1821, when Central America became independent, the British in Belize tried to reestablish a protectorate of the Mosquito Coast.
League of Legends Account
Cheap League of Legends Coaching

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  Slurp56, Professor Paki 
Hop to:
Shout Box

CSi Sponsors

DiGBiC Lighters
DiGBiC Lighters
DallasColo
Dallas Colocation
ClubSi.com Shirts
ClubSi-Shirts
GameStop
Black-Friday Specials
Big Brake Kits
StopTech.Sale BBK Clearance
Brake Kits
Buy Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
BuyBrakes
Brake Kits-Pads & Rotors Sets
StopTech Brake Kits
StopTech
StopTech NZ
StopTech
StopTech Australia
StopTech
Hawk Brake Pads
Hawk Brake Pads
Samys Camera
GoPros, Cameras, Gear
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Pad Coupons
Coupon Code "hondafetish"
Porsche Brakes
Porsche Brake Upgrades
2-Piece Rotors-Civic Type-R
2-Piece Civic Rotors
Advertisement

| Brake Pads | | How To Change Brake Pads | | Drilled Slotted Brake Kits Cheap | EBC Brake Kits | Performance Brake Kits | Brake Specials Near Me | How To Replace Brake Pads