Page 3 of 21 <12345>Last »
Topic Options
#7168511 - 07/09/13 07:51 PM Re: Cyclists sign in! CSI Ride? [Re: Hatorade]
Risky Business Offline
Provides a Great Work Environment. he/him
Post Master Supreme

wow, definitely out of this sunday ride.

I just did 20k on the bike as is, no fitting, that seat/pedals in shorts and a ripped t shirt. Stuck mostly to my area, and near markville mall, I averaged a shitty pace of 23km/h, keep in mind there was traffic/stop signs/traffic lights and i was cramping up like a mofo since the previous owner mother fucker took the cages out and i had no water

I got a long way to go, will try for Stouffville 30-40 on weekend once I am fitted and have my shit in order. I am getting obsessed, might go again in a bit

#7168516 - 07/09/13 07:53 PM Re: Cyclists sign in! CSI Ride? [Re: Risky Business]
Risky Business Offline
Post Master Supreme

btw, does it matter where I go for a fitting? Shop near me is called station ski and ride...any feedback? Nothing online.
#7168523 - 07/09/13 08:00 PM Re: Cyclists sign in! CSI Ride? [Re: Risky Business]
phildc238 Offline
Poster

Loc: GTA
They seem to be ok, they started carrying bikes not too long ago, nothing high end as far as I remember. What about cyclepath down the road they're always voted best bike shop in markham by Economist and Sun.

I'm also in the market for a mid-range ($3k) road bike and Cyclepath is one of the stores that I'd consider buying from.

Edited by phildc238 (07/09/13 08:03 PM)

#7168536 - 07/09/13 08:10 PM Re: Cyclists sign in! CSI Ride? [Re: phildc238]
4age Offline
XD XD XD XD
Post Master Sr

Loc: North York, Ontario, Canada
Totally shrugging here on the fitting.
I know it can help, but it's been blown way out of proportion IMO.
A decade ago, no one cared about pro fit save for a niche group of Triathletes.

Everyone tailored their riding position to suit their preference and that was that.
FWIW I've never been fitted...just tried various setups and settled on what works for me. Each new bike I get does not get fitted professionally. With enough seat time, you will be more discerning of what works for you, what geo you like (with regards to the bike's response to your inputs) and what riding position works best for your more developed muscle groups.

I'll go out on a limb and say that a fit will help address specific aches/body issues which you may find appearing over long rides. But until that happens, I don't see the value in it.

A typical fitter is going to ask you about your riding preferences, what the problem areas are etc as a guide to start them off... If you don't know what you're gunning for, I'm not certain that their general fit they set you up on is going to be any better than what you setup on your own (and fine tune after some rides).

XD XD XD XD

#7168544 - 07/09/13 08:19 PM Re: Cyclists sign in! CSI Ride? [Re: Hatorade]
JEFFOS Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Toronto
 Originally Posted By: Hatorade
 Originally Posted By: JEFFOS69
Sorry I'm out - wedding Saturday and driving lexus' and house shopping Sunday. Have fun guys

Try not to fall asleep at the Lexus event.

Not planning on buying one (I want a corvette at the end of the day) but I hear they are way better now (based on a video from the smoking tire). Hey if it's free I'll try it out since its just a few hours.

I love mine as a daily driver with my mods - good all around transportation and it does have some power to it.

#7168573 - 07/09/13 08:36 PM Re: Cyclists sign in! CSI Ride? [Re: 4age]
robbbby Offline
master electrician
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Canada
 Originally Posted By: 4age
Totally shrugging here on the fitting.
I know it can help, but it's been blown way out of proportion IMO.
A decade ago, no one cared about pro fit save for a niche group of Triathletes.

Everyone tailored their riding position to suit their preference and that was that.
FWIW I've never been fitted...just tried various setups and settled on what works for me. Each new bike I get does not get fitted professionally. With enough seat time, you will be more discerning of what works for you, what geo you like (with regards to the bike's response to your inputs) and what riding position works best for your more developed muscle groups.

I'll go out on a limb and say that a fit will help address specific aches/body issues which you may find appearing over long rides. But until that happens, I don't see the value in it.

A typical fitter is going to ask you about your riding preferences, what the problem areas are etc as a guide to start them off... If you don't know what you're gunning for, I'm not certain that their general fit they set you up on is going to be any better than what you setup on your own (and fine tune after some rides).

I agree for the most part, lots of it comes down to preference.

I think the most important thing boils down to saddle height so that you are getting proper leg extension without over extending and setting up your leg positioning over the axles by adjusting the saddle forward or back. I usually try and set it up so that when the pedal is forward and parallel to the ground, the indent under my knee lines up with the axle, this gives me good power through the entire stroke and uses nearly equal power from both my quads and hamstrings.

like this

Though this is a very common method you don't necessarily have to be setup this way but it is a great point to start from.

Anything else (stem lengths/heights and handlebars), I play around with slight variations to what my normal positioning is and find what feels comfortable. Rule of thumb is to keep saddle level horizontally, though I like to usually dip the nose down just slightly.

Edited by robbbby (07/09/13 08:42 PM)

#7168593 - 07/09/13 08:43 PM Re: Cyclists sign in! CSI Ride? [Re: robbbby]
Risky Business Offline
Post Master Supreme

Looks like you fuckers might save me the $50.

Thanks for that illustration.

How many of you actually go on the drop bars during your rides? Just curious?

Any other riding techniques/tips for the street in terms of posture/pacing yourself/gearing/etc. I am making this more complicated than it is, but I am curious what the current rule of thumb is if any for some of this basic stuff.

#7168617 - 07/09/13 08:50 PM Re: Cyclists sign in! CSI Ride? [Re: Risky Business]
robbbby Offline
master electrician
Post Master Supreme

Setup your saddle height so that when you are at the lowest point of your stroke you still have some bend in your knee, you don't want to be locking your leg or rocking your hips trying to reach.
It should feel natural and you should be able to pedal without any other movements from your torso. You should be able to tell what feels natural pretty easy by playing with a few different heights. I find if i'm too low i'm overworking certain muscles and can tell within 1 stroke that i'm not getting all my power to the cranks since I am limited in my extension.

#7168628 - 07/09/13 08:54 PM Re: Cyclists sign in! CSI Ride? [Re: robbbby]
Risky Business Offline
Post Master Supreme

My seat has been adjusted, I've always followed the old school rule of thumb for small knee bend, etc. Right now my position is pretty aggressive, but I really like it, not too sure if appropriate, but time will tell I guess. Only issue I find is my hands hurt a bit after a while, maybe because I am not used to it? It was only my first ride as well.
#7168970 - 07/10/13 04:29 AM Re: Cyclists sign in! CSI Ride? [Re: Risky Business]
355-Si Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: Toronto, Ontario
You'll figure out where on your bars you want your hands to be the more you ride. Personal preference really, but most of the time is spent in the hoods.

I have my hands on the tops of the bars only on long climbs. Drops is whenever I wanna change position or get a little more aero in a speedy portion of my ride.

#7169039 - 07/10/13 07:05 AM Re: Cyclists sign in! CSI Ride? [Re: phildc238]
Risky Business Offline
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: phildc238
They seem to be ok, they started carrying bikes not too long ago, nothing high end as far as I remember. What about cyclepath down the road they're always voted best bike shop in markham by Economist and Sun.

I'm also in the market for a mid-range ($3k) road bike and Cyclepath is one of the stores that I'd consider buying from.

Interesting, I've been to both and didn't get that impression.

THe Ski and Ride shop has been around for 5 years as per the owner and they've had bikes since. Not sure what your definition of high end is, but pretty sure there were bikes in the 5k range.

#7169042 - 07/10/13 07:08 AM Re: Cyclists sign in! CSI Ride? [Re: Risky Business]
Risky Business Offline
Post Master Supreme

Thinking of buying my shoes/helmet today. Any particular store where I can buy older stock for less? I don't want to go and try crap on then order online, blah blah. I want to go in, make sure it fits well and be done with it.

Recommendations?

#7169098 - 07/10/13 07:43 AM Re: Cyclists sign in! CSI Ride? [Re: Risky Business]
4age Offline
XD XD XD XD
Post Master Sr

MEC or D'ornellas!
Or if you're in the area, Cyclepath @ Yonge/Finch has some older helmets that you can haggle on

XD XD XD XD

#7169107 - 07/10/13 07:50 AM Re: Cyclists sign in! CSI Ride? [Re: 4age]
Risky Business Offline
Post Master Supreme

Why does D'ornellas have such a bad rep? Talked to a few buddies that ride and a lot seem to talk sh!t about it.
#7169228 - 07/10/13 08:44 AM Re: Cyclists sign in! CSI Ride? [Re: Risky Business]
4age Offline
XD XD XD XD
Post Master Sr

What?
No idea. They've always been awesome to me. Their race team is really friendly and non-elitist too. Prices are good (esp at the bike show omg).
They had a $220 helmet sell for $99. Whack.

XD XD XD XD

#7169338 - 07/10/13 09:24 AM Re: Cyclists sign in! CSI Ride? [Re: 4age]
Choco 'Nuck Offline
Proud Member of BLM
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Somewhere out there
^^Eon is the owner, he's from Trinidad, and like I said, most down to earth guy. He's represented Canada at the olympics. He did my fitment, and even went for a ride with me afterwards to make sure everything was ok.

Bike show prices are the best, my bike was $400 cheaper than any other specialized dealer at the bike show.

#7169365 - 07/10/13 09:36 AM Re: Cyclists sign in! CSI Ride? [Re: SiRice]
Huy009 Offline
Post Master Sr

Originally Posted By: SiRice
 Originally Posted By: Huy009
Im just wondering, where do you guys buy your bike stands? been looking for bikestands for my bikes.

I got this at MEC. It's great because it only touches the tire, never the rim.

http://www.mec.ca/product/5026-717/feedback-rakk-bicycle-stand/?f=10&q=bike%2Bstand

ahhh dam wish i saw this before i bought my stands

ordered from here

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Model...medium=Shopping

not a bad price though, same stands that i see at Sportcheck on there display bikes

53 buck Canadian shipped for 2 Stands

Edited by Huy009 (07/10/13 09:38 AM)

#7170557 - 07/10/13 04:32 PM Re: Cyclists sign in! CSI Ride? [Re: Risky Business]
robbbby Offline
master electrician
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: Stable Business
Thinking of buying my shoes/helmet today. Any particular store where I can buy older stock for less? I don't want to go and try crap on then order online, blah blah. I want to go in, make sure it fits well and be done with it.

Recommendations?

I recommend you don't cheap out on shoes. Don't buy something just because it is on sale, buy the shoes because they fit your foot well and are comfortable.

#7171120 - 07/10/13 08:16 PM Re: Cyclists sign in! CSI Ride? [Re: robbbby]
355-Si Offline
Post Master Sr

Pics of shoes and lid not loading Vas!

#7171145 - 07/10/13 08:33 PM Re: Cyclists sign in! CSI Ride? [Re: 355-Si]
355-Si Offline
Post Master Sr

My kid picked out a Tour de France yellow jersey for my birthday and wants me to wear it on Sunday, so I'll be there in Jaune \:D

#7171279 - 07/10/13 09:47 PM Re: Cyclists sign in! CSI Ride? [Re: robbbby]
Risky Business Offline
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: robbbby

Recommendations?

I recommend you don't cheap out on shoes. Don't buy something just because it is on sale, buy the shoes because they fit your foot well and are comfortable.

No plans to cheap out on shoes for sure...i've looked on kijiji, but what are the chances that whatever I find and try on used will be a "perfect" fit (plus my feet are wide). Fuck it, I will pay for shoes and helmet, everything else has been amazing. 355Si hooked me up with speedplay pedals and cleats, 4age is hooking up a proper seat.

Amazing support \:D Thanks.

I took the bitch out tonight again, I think I am hooked.

#7171728 - 07/11/13 07:46 AM Re: Cyclists sign in! CSI Ride? [Re: Risky Business]
4age Offline
XD XD XD XD
Post Master Sr

355Si hooked me up with speedplay pedals and cleats, 4age is hooking up a proper seat.

Amazing support \:D Thanks.

I took the bitch out tonight again, I think I am hooked.

Saddle, man, saddle!

XD XD XD XD

#7171913 - 07/11/13 09:15 AM Re: Cyclists sign in! CSI Ride? [Re: 4age]
355-Si Offline
Post Master Sr

I was just going to correct him

#7171919 - 07/11/13 09:18 AM Re: Cyclists sign in! CSI Ride? [Re: 355-Si]
4age Offline
XD XD XD XD
Post Master Sr

I'm going to sharpie the words "saddle" repeatedly all over his new "seat" so he remembers \:\)

XD XD XD XD

#7172197 - 07/11/13 10:47 AM Re: Cyclists sign in! CSI Ride? [Re: 4age]
Kid Bro Sweets Offline
Post Master Sr

I'm going to sharpie the words "saddle" repeatedly all over his new "seat" so he remembers \:\)

what do u guys use or recommend for glasses? i'm using an old pair of oakley monster dog black irdium lenses. Spencer's sunglass thread got me thinking that i should look for something more specific for cycling.

"Without this thinking you would see, you would see numbers that you wouldn't believe in reverse."

#7172273 - 07/11/13 11:12 AM Re: Cyclists sign in! CSI Ride? [Re: Kid Bro Sweets]
4age Offline
XD XD XD XD
Post Master Sr

Whatever fits \:\)
Semi-frameless IMO is ideal, as it vents better. If you ride in cooler temps, you'll find framed glasses will fog (even with vented lenses).

Doesn't *need* to be cycling specific though.
Specialized, Smith, Rudy project make some nice ones (apart from the typical Oakley). Infact, I believe the Specialized transition lenses are the fastest transitioning lenses. Good for multi conditions (ie: Mtb).

Oh also framed glasses do affect vision, as there will be blind spots. Not ideal on the road IMO. That's why you either see semi-frameless designs OR giant glasses, so that the frames are outside of your field of vision.

XD XD XD XD

#7172304 - 07/11/13 11:26 AM Re: Cyclists sign in! CSI Ride? [Re: Risky Business]
fatredcircIe Offline
Jr Member

Loc: Pickering
Why does D'ornellas have such a bad rep? Talked to a few buddies that ride and a lot seem to talk sh!t about it.

Because they're elitist jerks.

#7173648 - 07/11/13 08:16 PM Re: Cyclists sign in! CSI Ride? [Re: fatredcircIe]
Risky Business Offline
Post Master Supreme

Update, went to D'ornellas and bought a helmet and shoes. Installed 4age's saddle and 355 si's pedals + cleats. Didn't get a chance to get far, just went around the block. So far so good \:D

I will wait out on the spandex sh!t for now, but my ass is starting to hurt \:\(

#7173654 - 07/11/13 08:19 PM Re: Cyclists sign in! CSI Ride? [Re: Risky Business]
robbbby Offline
master electrician
Post Master Supreme

Specialized shoes, nice! The cobra fastening system on those is amazing, i'll never go back to ratchet straps.
#7173684 - 07/11/13 08:45 PM Re: Cyclists sign in! CSI Ride? [Re: robbbby]
355-Si Offline
Post Master Sr

Excellent.
Bibs next.

#7173711 - 07/11/13 09:08 PM Re: Cyclists sign in! CSI Ride? [Re: 355-Si]
Choco 'Nuck Offline
Proud Member of BLM
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Somewhere out there
Nice fulcrum racing wheels! So now that you have everything, we expect to see you on Sunday.
#7173733 - 07/11/13 09:27 PM Re: Cyclists sign in! CSI Ride? [Re: Choco 'Nuck]
SiRice Offline
Post Master Jr

Loc: Markham
Damn Risky, that bike looks pretty sweet.
#7174157 - 07/12/13 08:21 AM Re: Cyclists sign in! CSI Ride? [Re: 4age]
Kid Bro Sweets Offline
Post Master Sr

Whatever fits \:\)
Semi-frameless IMO is ideal, as it vents better. If you ride in cooler temps, you'll find framed glasses will fog (even with vented lenses).

Doesn't *need* to be cycling specific though.
Specialized, Smith, Rudy project make some nice ones (apart from the typical Oakley). Infact, I believe the Specialized transition lenses are the fastest transitioning lenses. Good for multi conditions (ie: Mtb).

Oh also framed glasses do affect vision, as there will be blind spots. Not ideal on the road IMO. That's why you either see semi-frameless designs OR giant glasses, so that the frames are outside of your field of vision.

perfect i'll search for those, one pair for all the needs. thanks!

"Without this thinking you would see, you would see numbers that you wouldn't believe in reverse."

#7174170 - 07/12/13 08:28 AM Re: Cyclists sign in! CSI Ride? [Re: Risky Business]
4age Offline
XD XD XD XD
Post Master Sr

Niiice choice on the shoes and helmet.
Your position is MAD AGGRESSIVE. How do you ride in the drops like that? XD
Good on you too for using the word "saddle" \:D

XD XD XD XD

#7174173 - 07/12/13 08:28 AM Re: Cyclists sign in! CSI Ride? [Re: 4age]
4age Offline
XD XD XD XD
Post Master Sr

PS what's it say on the top tube? Freccia?
Your name is Freccia? XD

XD XD XD XD

Page 3 of 21 <12345>Last »

Moderator:  c2k, LNXGUY, TheRealCSnapper, Professor Paki 
Hop to:
Shout Box

CSi Sponsors

ClubSi.com Shirts
ClubSi-Shirts
GameStop
Black-Friday Specials
Big Brake Kits
StopTech.Sale BBK Clearance
Brake Kits
Buy Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
BuyBrakes
Brake Kits-Pads & Rotors Sets
StopTech Brake Kits
StopTech
StopTech NZ
StopTech
StopTech Australia
StopTech
Hawk Brake Pads
Hawk Brake Pads
Samys Camera
GoPros, Cameras, Gear
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Pad Coupons
Coupon Code "hondafetish"
Porsche Brakes
Porsche Brake Upgrades
2-Piece Rotors-Civic Type-R
2-Piece Civic Rotors
Advertisement

| Brake Pads | | How To Change Brake Pads | | Drilled Slotted Brake Kits Cheap | EBC Brake Kits | Performance Brake Kits | Brake Specials Near Me | How To Replace Brake Pads