Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#6898000 - 02/14/13 10:50 AM What methods are you using to hydrate during long runs?
skenn8ht Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: Virginia
I'm curious to hear what you all are doing to stay hydrated during long runs. I'm getting into that territory now pretty regularly and need to do something. I've seen people using the camelbak packs, just holding a bottle (which would bother the hell out of me), or even set up "secret aid stations" by hiding water, gels, etc along various points in their runs. What do YOU use?
"Oh, that's easy," he said. "White Sox. I'm not one of these fair-weather fans. You go to Wrigley Field, you have a beer; beautiful people up there. People aren't watching the game. It's not serious. White Sox, that's baseball. South Side." - President Obama

#6898031 - 02/14/13 10:56 AM Re: What methods are you using to hydrate during long runs? [Re: skenn8ht]
Ampsman in Extremis Offline
I PITY THE FOOL!
Post Master Supreme

Loc: San Jose, Ca, USA
Depends on where I'm going/how long.
Anything under 12 miles or so, unless its super hot I dont carry anything.
Road/Bike path runs I'll usually hit water fountains and carry a gu or 2 in my short pockets.
Long trails runs I have a handheld and sometimes use a mountain hardware vest that I put my camelbak bladder in. Its super light and fits super snug, I like it for cold morning runs cause I can start with a jacket and then throw it in the pack when I get hot.

Paki: 3:36

#6898107 - 02/14/13 11:20 AM Re: What methods are you using to hydrate during long runs? [Re: Ampsman in Extremis]
dirtyS13drifta
Unregistered

Shorter than an hour, I just hydrate before hand & after

Lately my longer runs have been urban, so I just bring a Credit Card for a gatorade at 50-ish minutes.

That said in the past, I've got a Nathan belt that holds 2 10oz bottles. i normally do one of gatorade and one of water, plus some shotblox.

Once I break 2 hours again, I'll probably goto a bladder system. I've been eye-balling the the OSprey active packs, as they allow me to bring some first-aid and a insulating jacket. I'm thinking of adding some "deep" runs this season, so my needs will be more like a mini-hike.
I could see even bringing my UV Steri-pen in the summer as I'd like to do 30 miles in the high-country.

#6898343 - 02/14/13 12:49 PM Re: What methods are you using to hydrate during long runs? [Re: skenn8ht]
2000SiRacer Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Colorado
I had a lot of initial reluctance about running with a handheld bottle too. I spent months running routes that looped me back by drinking fountains or simply dehydrating myself (once I got caught in a pinch and stole some water from a hose in a kindergarten playground; this was with my homeless beard too so not sketchy at all haha). In the end a friend gave me an old Nathan bottle and it wasn't that bad after all.

Adjustable hand strap so you're not actually gripping anything and room for 2-3 gels. I used one of these exclusively until I needed more carrying capacity.

When that time came I did a ton of research and wound up springing for the Salomon Advanced Skin S-Lab 5 (I had to use google to get the whole name haha what a mouthful) pack because reviews said the fit and and stability (i.e. no bouncing or sliding) was second to none. It was more expensive than comparable Camelbacks but having seen those in action I think I made the right decision for me.

I've since worked out a setup that works for me with 1.5L of water in the bladder and one or two little 8oz bottles in the front pockets for sports drink. Room in the pockets for gels, S caps, wind jackets, etc with straps for hiking poles and its own emergency blanket and whistle (yay!). On hikes that little pouch velcroed to the front is the perfect size for my cell phone so I can snap photos.

I've found in races that I may be able to get between aid stations easily with a handheld bottle, or even nothing at all, but having a pack drastically reduces my time spent in aid stations. I'll run in, pound a couple glasses of water and grab a few gels if I'm low and stuff them in my pocket. Then grab some real food for the road and I'm out. Since I'm drinking at stations and just sipping on that 1.5L of water I only had to refill the bladder once during my last race, and even that only takes marginally longer than refilling a water bottle. And I forget I'm even wearing it most of the time so it's really not annoying or distracting at all (my main concern)!

The new Ultimate Direction Signature series packs have been getting a lot of good reviews recently too. I don't know much about them as they weren't out when I was looking for a pack, but it may be something to consider!

http://www.ultimatedirection.com/c-signature-series.aspx

I don't think they use a bladder and hose though, these are more minimalist storage packs with room for a pair of 20oz bottles up front, so something to consider.

#6898492 - 02/14/13 01:57 PM Re: What methods are you using to hydrate during long runs? [Re: 2000SiRacer]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Long Beach, CA
Nothing for me on runs shorter than 14 or so. Longer than that on the road I hit up water fountain/hoses,,,,for trail runs I use a single handheld.

#6898600 - 02/14/13 02:42 PM Re: What methods are you using to hydrate during long runs? [Re: Sir Ironpool]
Cheesegoggles Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Here
I have a small handheld bottle similar to the one posted above that I take with me on occasion, depending on how long I'm running and how hot it is. If I'm doing long runs where I circle the park I live near, I just stash what I need in my car and park near the trail.

When the weather is nice I'm frequently pushing a stroller, so I have that option for stashing stuff as well

#6898645 - 02/14/13 03:03 PM Re: What methods are you using to hydrate during long runs? [Re: Cheesegoggles]
Impulsive Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Edmonton
I rarely run longer than an hour, but if it's hot out, I'll throw a 50/50 gatorade mix bottle in my pocket. A bit annoying, but the shorts have a zippered pocket so it stays put. I drink it all by half, then toss it.

#6898675 - 02/14/13 03:14 PM Re: What methods are you using to hydrate during long runs? [Re: Impulsive]
MonkeyStillAlive Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: Sunny FL
I don't know how you guys can go 6 or miles without water. Do you hit fountains? I have to carry a bottle for anything 5 or over. I use a nathan hand held bottle similar to what 2000siracer posted.
#6898779 - 02/14/13 04:11 PM Re: What methods are you using to hydrate during long runs? [Re: MonkeyStillAlive]
dirtyS13drifta
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: Monkeydias
I don't know how you guys can go 6 or miles without water. Do you hit fountains? I have to carry a bottle for anything 5 or over. I use a nathan hand held bottle similar to what 2000siracer posted.

It really depends on a billion variables.
For some of the guys, 6 miles is a warm-up. Pacing makes a huge difference, ambient humidity, heat, natural cooling factor. Shit tall people tend to have more surface area for a given height, leading to better cooling.

I'm a heavy sweater, not in the best shape. But I can manage 6 miles without water. But I'm definitely starting slightly over-hydrated and finishing slightly dehydrated. Now if I'm only doing 6, I can rock that. If that 6 is part of a 10, I'm obviously going to be hurting. It helps it's winter(cold), but the dryness can be a factor(even if you don't sweat you can lose a ton of water via breath).

Mrmom's 14 without hydration is pretty crazy to me.

Edited by dirtyS13drifta (02/14/13 04:18 PM)

#6898842 - 02/14/13 04:40 PM Re: What methods are you using to hydrate during long runs? [Re: ]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

I sweat quite a bit, but for anything less than 90 minutes or so, I just don't feel the need to drink. I race my half marathons with no water or nutrition.

Everybody is different though.

#6907715 - 02/19/13 05:29 PM Re: What methods are you using to hydrate during long runs? [Re: Sir Ironpool]
ScottStaypuff Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Ohio
I have a belt with a water bottle built in, I like it. Need to do more running though, its been way too long since I've run any distance.

#6908515 - 02/19/13 10:35 PM Re: What methods are you using to hydrate during long runs? [Re: ScottStaypuff]
skenn8ht Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: Virginia
Eric, I am nerding out over that Ultimate Direction AK Race Vest. I just bought a belt and am giving it a shot this weekend for my long run. If it's no good then this will be next. Hell, I just might get the damn thing anyway!
"Oh, that's easy," he said. "White Sox. I'm not one of these fair-weather fans. You go to Wrigley Field, you have a beer; beautiful people up there. People aren't watching the game. It's not serious. White Sox, that's baseball. South Side." - President Obama

#6910301 - 02/20/13 06:30 PM Re: What methods are you using to hydrate during long runs? [Re: skenn8ht]
2000SiRacer Offline
Post Master Supreme

Totally different things Stan, don't worry about buying both

My experience has been that companies who really listen to their sponsored athletes and allow them to play a larger role in the design stage put out the best products. Krupicka had a lot of input into the design of the New Balance MT110 and MT1010 and those are two of my favorite shoes. Salomon is the same way and their gear is fantastic. I know Ultimate Direction was founded by an ultra runner so if Krupicka, Jurek, etc were given the same freedom here it's no surprise the new packs are badass

#6910989 - 02/20/13 11:43 PM Re: What methods are you using to hydrate during long runs? [Re: 2000SiRacer]
I PITY THE FOOL!
Post Master Supreme

To bad the AK vest is sold out everywhere. \:\(

#6912225 - 02/21/13 02:47 PM Re: What methods are you using to hydrate during long runs? [Re: Ampsman in Extremis]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

They had one of these on clearance at REI the other day when I was getting a second full sized handheld. Used it this morning on a 10 mile trail run and it worked perfectly. Held just enough fluid, was lighter and stayed out of the way.

#6926739 - 03/01/13 12:00 AM Re: What methods are you using to hydrate during long runs? [Re: Sir Ironpool]
I PITY THE FOOL!
Post Master Supreme

Ak vests are back in stock...just ordered one.

#8526335 - 01/22/16 10:40 AM Re: What methods are you using to hydrate during long runs? [Re: skenn8ht]
2000SiRacer Offline
Post Master Supreme

At first I didn't see the date and thought "why the hell is Stan asking about hydrating and 'getting into that territory'" - hasn't he learned from the multiple trail ultras he's done already?

Damn spammers bumping old posts. Now I get it.

#8529296 - 01/25/16 12:11 AM Re: What methods are you using to hydrate during long runs? [Re: Sir Ironpool]
gamby Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: RI
 Originally Posted By: Mrs. Ironmom
I sweat quite a bit, but for anything less than 90 minutes or so, I just don't feel the need to drink. I race my half marathons with no water or nutrition.

Everybody is different though.

That's still strange to me, as pretty much everything in the cycling world says "drink an entire bottle every hour". When it's hot out, on the bike, I kill a bottle an hour easily. 90 minutes seems unhealthy.

Not as much of an issue in a cold 40 minute cyclocross race, tho.

For a hot run, I need water after 1/2 hour

still have an EM1--go figure

#8529987 - 01/25/16 02:19 PM Re: What methods are you using to hydrate during long runs? [Re: gamby]
dirtyS13drifta
Unregistered

THis is old as shit, but I think there's 2 ways to look at it.

no water for 90 would put you at a deficit, but if you're only running/cycling 90, you can make it work if you're pretty much ONLY doing that time.

No water in the first 60 minutes of a multi-hour effort will crush you though. You most likely will be unable to recover from 1 hour with no hydration.

of course YMMW.

#8530153 - 01/25/16 03:55 PM Re: What methods are you using to hydrate during long runs? [Re: ]
gamby Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: RI
 Originally Posted By: dirtyS13drifta
THis is old as shit, but I think there's 2 ways to look at it.

no water for 90 would put you at a deficit, but if you're only running/cycling 90, you can make it work if you're pretty much ONLY doing that time.

No water in the first 60 minutes of a multi-hour effort will crush you though. You most likely will be unable to recover from 1 hour with no hydration.

of course YMMW.

It's perfectly logical tho. Well-stated.

still have an EM1--go figure

#8530220 - 01/25/16 04:41 PM Re: What methods are you using to hydrate during long runs? [Re: gamby]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

The research has recently shown that you're better off drinking to thirst during endurance efforts rather than forcing down a specific amount every hour.

#8530374 - 01/25/16 06:44 PM Re: What methods are you using to hydrate during long runs? [Re: ]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

There will be fluids on the course, so just use that if you need them.

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  Silock, Professor Paki 
Hop to:
Shout Box

CSi Sponsors

DiGBiC Lighters
DiGBiC Lighters
DallasColo
Dallas Colocation
ClubSi.com Shirts
ClubSi-Shirts
GameStop
Black-Friday Specials
Big Brake Kits
StopTech.Sale BBK Clearance
Brake Kits
Buy Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
BuyBrakes
Brake Kits-Pads & Rotors Sets
StopTech Brake Kits
StopTech
StopTech NZ
StopTech
StopTech Australia
StopTech
Hawk Brake Pads
Hawk Brake Pads
Samys Camera
GoPros, Cameras, Gear
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Pad Coupons
Coupon Code "hondafetish"
Porsche Brakes
Porsche Brake Upgrades
2-Piece Rotors-Civic Type-R
2-Piece Civic Rotors
Advertisement

| Brake Pads | | How To Change Brake Pads | | Drilled Slotted Brake Kits Cheap | EBC Brake Kits | Performance Brake Kits | Brake Specials Near Me | How To Replace Brake Pads