Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#6595185 - 09/18/12 07:05 PM Who likes the 80's?
hustler Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: Seattle, WA
Update on my progress ;\) So the mustang has taken awhile to revive, I had it going and then blew a head gasket last summer. I'm not sure if I was too aggressive on the baseline tune, whether it was the used weldon regulator with the split diaphgram not providing solid fuel pressure, or lifting a head under boost with the original head gaskets and head bolts caused the burnt gasket, but its alive again. Its repair got put on the burner while I went to ARP studs, Cometic MLS gaskets, and changed headers because the studs interferred with my race header adapter plates. I also bought a house finally so I wouldn't have to deal with my landlord complaining about my jackstand rides \:\)

This time I treated the topend to a junkyard GT40 setup from a '96 explorer succumbed to by the cash for clunkers "program." I had the heads gone through and put new springs on. The motor is equivalent to a 93 cobra motor sans the camshaft, but it has longtube headers and a complete 3" exhaust for the blower. I'm tuning the car with one of the early aftermarket programmable fuel injection systems with a Pentium 1 based laptop and a DOS GUI interface, trying to tame some large low impedence injectors, so it has been slow progress. It's not like some of the newer systems where you set the target A/F for a range and off you go. I watch the AEM A/F meter and make adjustments in the different menus by repeating driving scenarios with different loads on the motor. Worse than texting while driving when you don't have someone with you :P Anyway I took some video/pictures last night and painstakenly learned Adobe Premiere Pro CS5 last night for a whole 40 seconds of youtube goodness. Enjoy my masterpiece ;P

http://youtu.be/gZFOBV09HGE?hd=1

Videos
#6595236 - 09/18/12 07:36 PM Re: Who likes the 80's? [Re: hustler]
ReplicaR Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: E.E.B.
God damn it, that's clean. Love how you incorporated cruise control into a Momo steering wheel. I'm trying to solve the same dilemma, because I want a smaller wheel, and it would be great to keep the cruise control. I did not even think about using buttons out of Fox.

Acceleration.... \:\( -------+-- \:\)
Handling......... \:\( -------+-- \:\)
Speed............ \:\( ------+--- \:\)

#6595280 - 09/18/12 07:55 PM Re: Who likes the 80's? [Re: ReplicaR]
hustler Offline
Post Master Sr

admittedly i can't take credit for the cruise control plate/buttons, that was a saleen jobber supposedly only on the 89's before the airbags came on the 90's where they deleted the momo steering wheels altogether. You will be even more disappointed that its disabled since I tossed the factory computer. Saleen did a few things right even though they were early on just known for a body kit, re-done interiors, and some suspension parts. I just liked the styling so it let me work on the engine which is where most of my interest lay at the time.

The backing plate for the cruise control is sought after, but you can find them occasionally, but not worth fighting with the collectors over in price, would think there are other alternatives or just give it up honestly.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00067XZAY/?tag...c_df_B00067XZAY

#6595471 - 09/18/12 09:06 PM Re: Who likes the 80's? [Re: hustler]
vwkaferman Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Mesa, AZ
Very nice, in for more vids!

James

#6595535 - 09/18/12 09:33 PM Re: Who likes the 80's? [Re: vwkaferman]
OnyxEros Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Seattle
sounds good, what are you putting to the ground (ballpark)?

#6595631 - 09/18/12 10:17 PM Re: Who likes the 80's? [Re: OnyxEros]
hustler Offline
Post Master Sr

its hard to say i've changed a lot of stuff from when i was running the motor before. it only made around 350whp before with too small of injectors (stock with FMU, and it was lean on the dyno with lots of timing pulled) and no tune with stock heads and 2.5" exhaust. Remember a stock tuned 5.0 made 190whp back in the day. the stock e7 heads and intake were power killers along with the lower compression. I had the a/c, smog pump, and clutch fan on before as well which are gone now so less drag. That was in 2003. It's got better flowing heads now, larger diameter valves, and a bigger exhaust system so less backpressure under boost. I have plenty of injector and pump now, so realistically i'm thinking 400whp+ I don't plan on doing anything else except maybe a methanol kit so I can finish the other car. Stock 5.0 blocks give up around the 500whp mark so I will keep it tuned between there and beat on it a little bit. I'll probably frag the transmission anyway at that power level. Most of them were only good for 265 ft. lbs of torque. I love the way the T5 shifts though.
#6596279 - 09/19/12 09:23 AM Re: Who likes the 80's? [Re: hustler]
ElectronVtec Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: IN
Looking great man. Love Foxes \:\)

#6596289 - 09/19/12 09:26 AM Re: Who likes the 80's? [Re: ElectronVtec]
kyden Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Providence, RI
lol you go back and forth on that car. i take it you no longer want DD duty on it?
<x> i had a weird dream <x> where i lived in an apartment complex <x> walked down the street, and kyden and a couple other dudes were living in an apartment and ran outside looking for the maintenance people <x> and something about taking a shit in a sealed toilet

#6596541 - 09/19/12 10:44 AM Re: Who likes the 80's? [Re: kyden]
hustler Offline
Post Master Sr

My gf has told me the same thing, you haven't seen most of it \:\) I tried to sell it half assed, but I really didn't have enough done to market it at the price I wanted. It was still not tuned and I had a really bad rear main seal leak which I finally fixed as well. I still plan to daily it, its just hard making that plunge with a practically new paintjob. I think after I put the modified original tank back in to work with my fuel cell giving me 25 gallons capacity of gas along with a fuel level sender telling me when the tank is empty I can actually start driving it to work. I need to lean out the fuel though its definitely going through 92 octane which isn't cheap.
#6596821 - 09/19/12 12:09 PM Re: Who likes the 80's? [Re: hustler]
ReplicaR Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: E.E.B.
 Originally Posted By: hustler

The backing plate for the cruise control is sought after, but you can find them occasionally, but not worth fighting with the collectors over in price, would think there are other alternatives or just give it up honestly.

Any chance you can take a few picture of the plate and wiring, and pm those to me? I think I can just fab up something myself.

Acceleration.... \:\( -------+-- \:\)
Handling......... \:\( -------+-- \:\)
Speed............ \:\( ------+--- \:\)

#6597208 - 09/19/12 01:35 PM Re: Who likes the 80's? [Re: ReplicaR]
hustler Offline
Post Master Sr

Even better.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Saleen-cruise-co...c9d198f&vxp=mtr

http://www.supermotors.net/getfile/555784/fullsize/cruise-control-switch-bracket.jpg

#6597698 - 09/19/12 04:34 PM Re: Who likes the 80's? [Re: hustler]
Impulsive Online   nohc
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Edmonton
I dig it. Very nice.

#6598100 - 09/19/12 08:09 PM Re: Who likes the 80's? [Re: hustler]
scootergeek Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: East of St. Louis

#6598185 - 09/19/12 08:48 PM Re: Who likes the 80's? [Re: scootergeek]
denham Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Macungie
turbo and MS2 stand alone and ill split the block for you in no time. haha

nice looking car dude
"denmah: because canada can't be the only country with a moof" - jsmonet
"LOL, you really are my hero denmah. You actually do the things the rest of us dream or bullshit about." - 98_1LE

#6598696 - 09/20/12 07:35 AM Re: Who likes the 80's? [Re: hustler]
kyden Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Providence, RI
i remember seeing the car even before the blower. ohh the old irc days.
<x> i had a weird dream <x> where i lived in an apartment complex <x> walked down the street, and kyden and a couple other dudes were living in an apartment and ran outside looking for the maintenance people <x> and something about taking a shit in a sealed toilet

#6599243 - 09/20/12 10:53 AM Re: Who likes the 80's? [Re: kyden]
ScottStaypuff Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Ohio
Like it!

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  auxilary, Professor Paki 
Hop to:
Shout Box

CSi Sponsors

DiGBiC Lighters
DiGBiC Lighters
DallasColo
Dallas Colocation
ClubSi.com Shirts
ClubSi-Shirts
GameStop
Black-Friday Specials
Big Brake Kits
StopTech.Sale BBK Clearance
Brake Kits
Buy Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
BuyBrakes
Brake Kits-Pads & Rotors Sets
StopTech Brake Kits
StopTech
StopTech NZ
StopTech
StopTech Australia
StopTech
Hawk Brake Pads
Hawk Brake Pads
Samys Camera
GoPros, Cameras, Gear
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Pad Coupons
Coupon Code "hondafetish"
Porsche Brakes
Porsche Brake Upgrades
2-Piece Rotors-Civic Type-R
2-Piece Civic Rotors
Advertisement

| Brake Pads | | How To Change Brake Pads | | Drilled Slotted Brake Kits Cheap | EBC Brake Kits | Performance Brake Kits | Brake Specials Near Me | How To Replace Brake Pads