Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#6502897 - 08/04/12 05:47 PM is it the economy?
beerslurpy Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Spring Hill, FL
I just realized today after going for a drive that I haven't seen any fast or modded cars in a long time except for old rich guys in corvettes (and maybe once in a while, something like a viper or a non-turbo porsche).

Back in the 90s/early 2000s I couldn't drive anywhere without getting picked on by a random assortment of young adults driving modded or fast cars.

Videos
#6502908 - 08/04/12 05:58 PM Re: is it the economy? [Re: beerslurpy]
stickaz_old Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Nor Cal, Hella hurr durr
no clue mang, if I had to venture a guess tho, the difference is you

#6502909 - 08/04/12 06:00 PM Re: is it the economy? [Re: stickaz_old]
beerslurpy Offline
Post Master Supreme

Just from getting older?

#6502911 - 08/04/12 06:01 PM Re: is it the economy? [Re: beerslurpy]
beerslurpy Offline
Post Master Supreme

Even if they aren't itching for a race, I should at least see modded shitboxes once in a while.

#6502942 - 08/04/12 06:29 PM Re: is it the economy? [Re: beerslurpy]
UglyValiant Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: Milwaukee, WI
There was an article in one of the rags not too far back "Are kids not driving?" or something like that...it didn't seem interesting to me, so didn't really read it.

But, of the kids I know (I work in a HS, so I know 100's...) more and more it seems kids are in fact driving less, and care about cars less. If I had to spit-ball some reasons for the dearth of modded cars/less kids driving/etc:

-No fast n' furious type movie thats been a hit that would stoke kids interest in cars/racing.

-Fewer kids work...it's not *odd* but certainly not the norm when I encounter teens who actually work for spending money. Most get allowances from parents for keeping their room clean, or getting halfway decent grades...or keeping their belly buttons clean of lint. Or something.

-Over-protectiveness is a real real real problem. Might that lead to kids being restricted from driving at all or as much? I would not doubt this.

-Since many parents are guiding their kids interest (music, sports, etc) and are involved (over-involved), and caters to every whim, it crowds out the kids own sense of curiosity and desire toward freedom. They never think "I can't wait to drive and be able to do what I want," because they never do anything but what they want. They never develop the association that cars = freedom...instead they learn parents = catering and grow up later in life and move out later to boot.

-Death of HS autoshops. Less and less do I see schools that have them...and those that do frequently put the trouble students in them. With budgets constrained by reality, but public sector teachers wages and benefits not, shops are easy place to find cuts.

That's about all that came to me on the subject. Otherwise, who knows?
1989 Shelby CSX (#500/500)
The most powerful production minivan money can buy.

#6502997 - 08/04/12 07:19 PM Re: is it the economy? [Re: UglyValiant]
ElectronVtec Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: IN
Economy has forced a lot of the younger workforce to really shitty jobs if they can find one at all. I used to always hear a stereo system or something. Around here was never "huge" for modded cars but it's obvious there are far fewer modded cars than before. Maybe the kids just moved on to drugs... *shrug*

Todd

#6503090 - 08/04/12 08:34 PM Re: is it the economy? [Re: ElectronVtec]
tylerdurden Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Shyea, like I'm telling you
I think a lot of the cars younger people drive today are "good enough" so they don't feel the need to put on body kits and intakes or whatever. Cars are just so much better these days.
#6503204 - 08/04/12 09:29 PM Re: is it the economy? [Re: tylerdurden]
ElectronVtec Offline
Post Master Supreme

Funny story (to me at least). I owned a 1993 Dodge Shadow V6 back in 1998 when the Civic craze was going nuts in Sport Compact Car. Remember those 4-6 page NOPI ads in all those magazines? Well, I called them up one day and said hey, what are some good mods for my Shadow? Without so much as hesitating the guy on the other end goes "Replace it with a Civic." And I was sad. But I did just that a couple years later, lol.

#6503367 - 08/04/12 11:14 PM Re: is it the economy? [Re: ElectronVtec]
UglyValiant Offline
Post Master Sr

Originally Posted By: ElectronVTEC
Without so much as hesitating the guy on the other end goes "Replace it with a Civic."
If he knew cars, he should have told you to get a turbo shadow.

#6503393 - 08/04/12 11:44 PM Re: is it the economy? [Re: UglyValiant]
scootergeek Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: East of St. Louis
 Originally Posted By: UglyValiant
Without so much as hesitating the guy on the other end goes "Replace it with a Civic."

To a guy selling spares for Spacely's Sprockets, a potential customer looking for bits for Cogswell's Cogs is backing the wrong horse.

#6503654 - 08/05/12 10:19 AM Re: is it the economy? [Re: UglyValiant]
ElectronVtec Offline
Post Master Supreme

I actually test drove a turbo shadow but pops wouldn't let me buy it. Don't remember why but yea... I really wanted a Sentra SE-R but they were just a little out of my price range at that point.

#6503677 - 08/05/12 10:44 AM Re: is it the economy? [Re: UglyValiant]
Adam G Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Arrr-Kansas
There was an article in one of the rags not too far back "Are kids not driving?" or something like that...it didn't seem interesting to me, so didn't really read it.

But, of the kids I know (I work in a HS, so I know 100's...) more and more it seems kids are in fact driving less, and care about cars less. If I had to spit-ball some reasons for the dearth of modded cars/less kids driving/etc:

-No fast n' furious type movie thats been a hit that would stoke kids interest in cars/racing.

-Fewer kids work...it's not *odd* but certainly not the norm when I encounter teens who actually work for spending money. Most get allowances from parents for keeping their room clean, or getting halfway decent grades...or keeping their belly buttons clean of lint. Or something.

-Over-protectiveness is a real real real problem. Might that lead to kids being restricted from driving at all or as much? I would not doubt this.

-Since many parents are guiding their kids interest (music, sports, etc) and are involved (over-involved), and caters to every whim, it crowds out the kids own sense of curiosity and desire toward freedom. They never think "I can't wait to drive and be able to do what I want," because they never do anything but what they want. They never develop the association that cars = freedom...instead they learn parents = catering and grow up later in life and move out later to boot.

-Death of HS autoshops. Less and less do I see schools that have them...and those that do frequently put the trouble students in them. With budgets constrained by reality, but public sector teachers wages and benefits not, shops are easy place to find cuts.

That's about all that came to me on the subject. Otherwise, who knows?

Cars used to be the kids' link to the outside world. Now that link is social networking. Who needs the car to go to the mall when you've got Facebook and Twitter?

#6503709 - 08/05/12 11:17 AM Re: is it the economy? [Re: Adam G]
UglyValiant Offline
Post Master Sr

Originally Posted By: Adam G

Cars used to be the kids' link to the outside world. Now that link is social networking. Who needs the car to go to the mall when you've got Facebook and Twitter?
Tru dat.

#6503840 - 08/05/12 01:45 PM Re: is it the economy? [Re: ]
neonmike22 Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: Nashville, TN
Instead of street racing, kids are challenging each other to make their cars undrivable:

#6503946 - 08/05/12 03:19 PM Re: is it the economy? [Re: neonmike22]
scootergeek Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: East of St. Louis
 Originally Posted By: neonmike22
Instead of street racing, kids are challenging each other to make their cars undrivable:

I never see those in person.

#6504514 - 08/05/12 09:45 PM Re: is it the economy? [Re: scootergeek]
MurderHornetVR6 Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Detox
 Originally Posted By: scootergeek

I never see those in person.

there's probably some 1/2" concrete lip that surrounds St Louis that they can't drive over \:\/

#6504588 - 08/05/12 11:02 PM Re: is it the economy? [Re: MurderHornetVR6]
Serendipitous Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Northern California
You guys sound old as shit.

#6504594 - 08/05/12 11:05 PM Re: is it the economy? [Re: Serendipitous]
MurderHornetVR6 Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Detox
 Originally Posted By: Serendipitous
You guys sound old as shit.

because I have a fast car that's at the stock ride height? pass the denture paste

#6504618 - 08/05/12 11:31 PM Re: is it the economy? [Re: MurderHornetVR6]
cliff st-clair Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: Queens Village, NY
Yeah street racing is really a lost art around here too. Some fridays I get bored and try and go visit the strips I used to frequent 7-10 years ago and they are all dead. Francis lewis boulevard...Deer Park Avenue...Nothing.
Only that "kickmetotheliver" dude with the rsx-s and those crazy dudes from Yonkers are at it hard still. LOL

#6504678 - 08/06/12 12:38 AM Re: is it the economy? [Re: MurderHornetVR6]
Serendipitous Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Northern California
Quick reply.

#6504838 - 08/06/12 08:04 AM Re: is it the economy? [Re: Serendipitous]
kyden Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Providence, RI
all i see now are wannabe stanced out cars. or at least trying.
<x> i had a weird dream <x> where i lived in an apartment complex <x> walked down the street, and kyden and a couple other dudes were living in an apartment and ran outside looking for the maintenance people <x> and something about taking a shit in a sealed toilet

#6505470 - 08/06/12 12:15 PM Re: is it the economy? [Re: kyden]
NHRATA01 Offline
Post Master

Loc: New York
I'm sure $4/gal gas, combined with the aforementioned crappy teen job market(since out of work breadwinners are taking them) is killing the car hobby.

Life was easy in the late 90s when I could fill up my '89 Firebird in NJ for around $12,or roughly 2 hours of work at my minimum wage (~5.15) job. 2 hours at today's rate (what, $7.50ish) will get you about 3 gallons of gas.

#6505535 - 08/06/12 12:34 PM Re: is it the economy? [Re: cliff st-clair]
UglyValiant Offline
Post Master Sr

Originally Posted By: cliff st-clair
Only that "kickmetotheliver" dude with the rsx-s and those crazy dudes from Yonkers are at it hard still. LOL
Maybe that's why he always wins...the economy.

#6506747 - 08/06/12 06:43 PM Re: is it the economy? [Re: UglyValiant]
Storm88000 Offline
Hunting aficionado
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Philly Burbs
IMO the decline started around 2006, 2007. But I actually think its on the rise again a bit. But still OTHING like the late 90's.

#6508154 - 08/07/12 10:11 AM Re: is it the economy? [Re: Storm88000]
LowTech302 Offline
Post Master Sr

Maybe you just hung out with more people into fast cars back in the day. I don't recall that many fast cars even in the late 90's. I do remember alot of riced-out cars trying to look and sound fast. Those have been replaced with stanced cars now. I do agree that interest in cars overall is waning, but IMO this is mostly fads coming and going.
#6509098 - 08/07/12 02:37 PM Re: is it the economy? [Re: LowTech302]
cliff st-clair Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: Queens Village, NY
Cars are faster nowadays too though. So ud think it would bring out more street racers...
I definitely think it has to do with the economy and $4 gas prices.

#6509131 - 08/07/12 02:53 PM Re: is it the economy? [Re: ElectronVtec]
g96nt Offline
Jr Poster

Loc: Annapolis MD

I actually test drove a turbo shadow but pops wouldn't let me buy it. Don't remember why but yea... I really wanted a Sentra SE-R but they were just a little out of my price range at that point.

SE-R was what I was looking for when I found my first 9-3.
I just couldn't pass up the deal I got on it.. 4 year old ~$37k car for ~$4000 with a couple fixes needed.

I would have LOVED to find a nice 91-92 SE-R

#6513169 - 08/09/12 07:06 AM Re: is it the economy? [Re: tylerdurden]
FCobra94 Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: MD
 Originally Posted By: tylerdurden
I think a lot of the cars younger people drive today are "good enough" so they don't feel the need to put on body kits and intakes or whatever. Cars are just so much better these days.

This. Plus parts aren't as cheap/available as they used to be; there also aren't a lot of parts/engines/etc. that are as interchangeable these days either.

That, plus I assume pocket-rocket type cars just aren't that popular anymore

#6521878 - 08/13/12 12:58 PM Re: is it the economy? [Re: FCobra94]
hustler Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: Seattle, WA
My brother and friends have have made similar observations. The most obvious one was in So. Ca, there were "modified" cars everywhere in the late 90's early 2000's and since then every time I go back I see less and less on the freeways. I thought the import scene had died after one trip back. To support this hobby you clearly have to have extra spending money and there probably isn't a lot of that going around. As much as a car represents freedom, I don't think teens see it that way as much anymore. My assumption is they see it as more of a right and a just a piece of technology that gets them from point a to point b. They don't care how it works, just that it gets them there. They don't care how android or iphone works, just that it connects them to facebook or twitter. Maybe they lack the interest that comes from being inquisitive?

My buddy came over to help me get my trans back into the mustang and he always talks about how nobody wrenches anymore. He does have a point though, as we have grown up some friends are just into different things as they got older. Their interest waned especially after they started families and I'm sure the budgets tightened. I do know a lot of friends who have "projects" sitting in garages though waiting to get finished.

#6522742 - 08/13/12 06:19 PM Re: is it the economy? [Re: hustler]
stickaz_old Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Nor Cal, Hella hurr durr
yea I'm in that latter camp, cars are fun and so is racing but there's more to life, and project cars are pretty easy to roll up in the garage and ignore for a year or 10

especially easy when you're worried about staying employed

#6526095 - 08/14/12 11:45 PM Re: is it the economy? [Re: stickaz_old]
Euphoricuck Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Canadistan
economy, all the fad guys who got into it jumping ship, kids driving less(not giving a shit) cause of social networking and xbox, better cars stock etc etc etc.

all points mentioned in here lead to the lack of modded cars around. They exist for sure but the "scene" so to speak has much smaller numbers now...which I kind of like to be honest.

#6531794 - 08/16/12 10:49 PM Re: is it the economy? [Re: Euphoricuck]
ElectronVtec Offline
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: Euphoric
economy, all the fad guys who got into it jumping ship, kids driving less(not giving a shit) cause of social networking and xbox, better cars stock etc etc etc.

all points mentioned in here lead to the lack of modded cars around. They exist for sure but the "scene" so to speak has much smaller numbers now...which I kind of like to be honest.

I like it as well. Cars used to be a way to hang out and be social, now it's just something I can enjoy on my own time and my own dime. I'll still knock out hours talking about them with my friends who are also into cars but it doesn't suck up nearly so much of my time and, frankly, my ambition these days.

#6532393 - 08/17/12 09:47 AM Re: is it the economy? [Re: ]
Impulsive Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Edmonton
I got sick of shops turning crooked, tons of substandard parts (even after researching the shit out of it), always having some sort of install issue and the odd time when something went wrong, it ruined my day.

The first time I checked spark plugs on my FXT, one cracked. Store was closed, had to take wife's car to work, run around auto parts stores at lunch - no one has them in stock. Went to the dealer and just asked for an STi plug, $47 - one fucking plug.

I'd still like to build a kick ass car one day, but I'm not going to mess with my DD. Also, current car offerings are pretty solid in all departments if you do your homework. There are a lot of reasonably priced car that will run 13's and can be modded to 12's without a lot of cost.

#6533813 - 08/17/12 08:59 PM Re: is it the economy? [Re: Impulsive]
Stig Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: NoVa
Definitely seen a resurgence in the nova/dc area this summer.

Porsche Cayman S - Maserati GT - Saab 9000t 400whp forever project car - Nissan Titan

#6728184 - 11/21/12 01:15 PM Re: is it the economy? [Re: Stig]
Chadbrochills Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Ocala, FL
The scene has definitely dropped off where I live. When I first started coming to Ocala to visit my parents after they moved here in '05, I'd take a ride on a Friday or Saturday night towards the main part of Ocala and there would been a lot of cars/people in one of the bigger parking lots in the area. Nothing bad went on, just people hanging and be social.

I ended up moving here in '08 and the Fri/Sat night hangout dwindled down to a handful of cars. Now, I drive by the same spot and there's nobody there, ever. A few local ricers will get together at Checkers, but that's maybe 10-15 cars. Nothing at all like it used to be.

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  auxilary, Professor Paki 
Hop to:
Shout Box

CSi Sponsors

DiGBiC Lighters
DiGBiC Lighters
DallasColo
Dallas Colocation
ClubSi.com Shirts
ClubSi-Shirts
GameStop
Black-Friday Specials
Big Brake Kits
StopTech.Sale BBK Clearance
Brake Kits
Buy Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
BuyBrakes
Brake Kits-Pads & Rotors Sets
StopTech Brake Kits
StopTech
StopTech NZ
StopTech
StopTech Australia
StopTech
Hawk Brake Pads
Hawk Brake Pads
Samys Camera
GoPros, Cameras, Gear
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Pad Coupons
Coupon Code "hondafetish"
Porsche Brakes
Porsche Brake Upgrades
2-Piece Rotors-Civic Type-R
2-Piece Civic Rotors
Advertisement

| Brake Pads | | How To Change Brake Pads | | Drilled Slotted Brake Kits Cheap | EBC Brake Kits | Performance Brake Kits | Brake Specials Near Me | How To Replace Brake Pads