Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#6369826 - 05/29/12 12:23 PM 5-3-1 - when and how to reset?
Impulsive Online   nohc
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Edmonton
So I'm on cycle 6 of the 5-3-1. I've went from 90% of 1RM and added the 5-10lbs per week per the program.

Some of the lifts are maxed. i.e. I had a 5 second last rep on my last 3 set this week. I'm guessing the next cycle, may fail. If I fail on the 5x5 week or 3x3 week, do I still move forward trying what might be beyond my means or just reset right then and there.

Also, I'm thinking of taking 2-3 weeks off the routine and working on some slightly higher rep/lighter weight work (including a bit more rest) before resetting at the "new" 90%.

#6369954 - 05/29/12 01:01 PM Re: 5-3-1 - when and how to reset? [Re: Impulsive]
mrnismo Offline
Post Master

Loc: PCB
From the manual:

Stalling in 5/3/1

You’ll eventually come to a point where you can’t make any more progress on a lift. You won’t be able to hit the sets and reps you’re supposed to hit, and the weights will start to get too heavy. When this happens, I simply take 90% of my max (either a 1RM or a rep max) and start all over again.

For example, let’s say I did 205x4 on my military press when I first started the program. Using the rep-max calculator, my estimated max would be 230 pounds. Since I started with 10% less, my beginning max would be 210. Over the course of six months, I worked up to a rep max of 185x10. This puts my estimated max at 245. Now, I’ll take 10% of 245 (220), and begin to work my way up again. This is a matter of taking three steps forward and one step back. You may stall out with one lift before you do with the others. When this happens, you only need to decrease the one stalled lift. If you’re stalling out on multiple lifts, and you feel like everything is catching up with you, take a deload week and recalculate your maxes. If you’re really starting out with 10% less than your actual maxes, you can expect to go through 5-7 cycles at a minimum before you stall out. I’ve gone through 8 before having to back off.

#6369961 - 05/29/12 01:02 PM Re: 5-3-1 - when and how to reset? [Re: mrnismo]
mrnismo Offline
Post Master

Curious how you did over those 6 months? What were/are your goals and do you think 5/3/1 got you in the right direction?
#6370722 - 05/29/12 05:56 PM Re: 5-3-1 - when and how to reset? [Re: mrnismo]
Impulsive Online   nohc
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Edmonton
It's tough to tell. I know my maxes within reason, but I also wanted to keep form in good check on things like squats. I ran my numbers, dropped 10% off and adjusted some of them a bit by eye (up and down a bit). I then started and pretty much beat the working set goal by 1-2 for a while. Then by 1 and on a few, I met the target. I have yet to miss a target, but I'm starting to feel like that last rep, my form might be suffering.

I haven't stepped back to look at my actual 1RM and if see if it's gone up appreciably. I'm a bit stronger and a bit leaner than when I started for sure, but I have been eating decent and working hard anyways.

I'm also not exactly "bulking", just eating around maintenance w/ good protein to see what results I can get without having to up my work. The squat and deadlift weekly work makes cardio hell because my legs are always aching. Running after squats is tough.

I'm personally thinking of finishing this cycle, taking my "de-load" week and trying about 2 weeks of 8-10 rep type work just to break it up, then reset and go.

#6371166 - 05/29/12 09:49 PM Re: 5-3-1 - when and how to reset? [Re: Impulsive]
mrnismo Offline
Post Master

Well, you might know it already but Wendler uses the (formula reps x weight x .0333) + weight = Approx 1RM. Doesn't matter how accurate it is I guess but it is nice to be able to compare different weight/reps to each other to see where you stand.

Anyway, as for switching up to higher reps for a little while before starting again I don't see any problem with that. Like you said you're in maintenance mode really anyway so if you want to break up the routine a bit then go for it!

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  Silock, Professor Paki 
Hop to:
Shout Box

CSi Sponsors

DiGBiC Lighters
DiGBiC Lighters
DallasColo
Dallas Colocation
ClubSi.com Shirts
ClubSi-Shirts
GameStop
Black-Friday Specials
Big Brake Kits
StopTech.Sale BBK Clearance
Brake Kits
Buy Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
BuyBrakes
Brake Kits-Pads & Rotors Sets
StopTech Brake Kits
StopTech
StopTech NZ
StopTech
StopTech Australia
StopTech
Hawk Brake Pads
Hawk Brake Pads
Samys Camera
GoPros, Cameras, Gear
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Pad Coupons
Coupon Code "hondafetish"
Porsche Brakes
Porsche Brake Upgrades
2-Piece Rotors-Civic Type-R
2-Piece Civic Rotors
Advertisement

| Brake Pads | | How To Change Brake Pads | | Drilled Slotted Brake Kits Cheap | EBC Brake Kits | Performance Brake Kits | Brake Specials Near Me | How To Replace Brake Pads