Page 4 of 5 <12345>
Topic Options
#5812962 - 09/20/11 02:59 PM Re: 04 RSX-S vs. EG Hatch w/ B18C5 [Re: Kick to ze liver]
cliff st-clair Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: Queens Village, NY
Thing is, ask the Civic to run a stock current Accord V6 or V6 Camry and it will be dead even most likely, and it might even get pulled if speeds go over 120mph. When you can barely keep up with run of the mill family cars of the present, I'm sorry, you ain't fast.
The Genesis turbo is a waste, as EV said. They are still in the 15s stock.
That 1.8t, like I said before in that other thread, was not representative of what those cars could do when tuned and running properly.
And to the "kick me to the liver" guy, have you measured up against a 350z hr or a 370z? You'd be hard pressed to beat those in my opinion and they are nothing special in a straight line by todays' standards.

Videos
#5812969 - 09/20/11 03:04 PM Re: 04 RSX-S vs. EG Hatch w/ B18C5 [Re: OnyxEros]
cliff st-clair Offline
Post Master Sr

Originally Posted By: happy black man
i think his point is that it's ricer racing to compare a modded car to a stock one.

any number of swapped bubbles can walk a stock evo from a roll on race. but when it comes to anything from a dig, around a corner, or in less than ideal weather there's not a single person that wouldn't prefer a well sorted factor car to a project.

I have a project vvl that will easily outrun my evo but it sits on a trickle charger while the evo goes out 99% of the time.

I have pride in my project but it has it's limitations

The only swapped normally aspirated bubbles that are respectably fast imo are the k20s when tuned and equipped with all the breathing mods. It's not to hard to get those to trap well over 110mph. That is moving...for a n/a car. For sure.

#5812974 - 09/20/11 03:08 PM Re: 04 RSX-S vs. EG Hatch w/ B18C5 [Re: cliff st-clair]
ElectronVTEC2 Offline
Post Master Sr

I think it all comes down to how far things have come since 2004 or so. Direct injection, turbo diesel, you really can have your cake and eat it too. I picked up my MS3 for a song, it puts out something close to 300 bhp after CAI + tune, has a bunch of nice amenities, and sips 30+ on the highway. And that's just a frickin Mazda. I can't wait to see what those turbo Hyundai's can do when they finally crack their ECU's. Throw in the German turbo cars and the landscape is just so much different than it ever use to be. If you want a "sure thing" on the street, you better be running at least mid 13's and hope you don't run into any newer V8's of the world.

With all of the above said, this is still the best thread we've had in this forum in as long as I can remember.

YOUR HONDAS FUCKING SUCK AND THERE'S NOTHING YOU CAN DO ABOUT IT!

J/k \:\)

Todd

#5813000 - 09/20/11 03:19 PM Re: 04 RSX-S vs. EG Hatch w/ B18C5 [Re: cliff st-clair]
OnyxEros Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Seattle
 Originally Posted By: cliff st-clair
i think his point is that it's ricer racing to compare a modded car to a stock one.

any number of swapped bubbles can walk a stock evo from a roll on race. but when it comes to anything from a dig, around a corner, or in less than ideal weather there's not a single person that wouldn't prefer a well sorted factor car to a project.

I have a project vvl that will easily outrun my evo but it sits on a trickle charger while the evo goes out 99% of the time.

The only swapped normally aspirated bubbles that are respectably fast imo are the k20s when tuned and equipped with all the breathing mods. It's not to hard to get those to trap well over 110mph. That is moving...for a n/a car. For sure.

I 100% agree with you, I also think that projects are fun and can be made to go quickly for cheap.

but, the security of having a modern car with modern amenities and can still be seriously fast wins for me even if i still lose the occasional 50mph highway roll-on races.

#5813145 - 09/20/11 04:19 PM Re: 04 RSX-S vs. EG Hatch w/ B18C5 [Re: Kick to ze liver]
Serendipitous Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Northern California
What kind of hp/l you boys runnin?

#5813165 - 09/20/11 04:30 PM Re: 04 RSX-S vs. EG Hatch w/ B18C5 [Re: OnyxEros]
Kick to ze liver Offline
Poster

I don't disagree with you but I didn't bring up the point about racing stock vs. modded, someone else did....I was merely replying to it.

#5813170 - 09/20/11 04:33 PM Re: 04 RSX-S vs. EG Hatch w/ B18C5 [Re: cliff st-clair]
Kick to ze liver Offline
Poster

Originally Posted By: cliff st-clair
And to the "kick me to the liver" guy, have you measured up against a 350z hr or a 370z? You'd be hard pressed to beat those in my opinion and they are nothing special in a straight line by todays' standards.

I don't know why you contiue to be condescending, but hey that's you. I've already admitted that a HR or 370z would walk me, they trap something like 105-107 stock.

#5813192 - 09/20/11 04:42 PM Re: 04 RSX-S vs. EG Hatch w/ B18C5 [Re: ]
Kick to ze liver Offline
Poster

Originally Posted By: Doshoru~
 Originally Posted By: Kick to ze liver
What's your point, honestly?

I think we're all asking you that same question. Everybody in this forum has already been there, done that. We know what a k20 runs with bolt-ons. We know what swapped b18c5 hatches run. We know what other cars run similar E.T.'s & traps, so we know what's going to be a good run and what isn't.

I don't think a single one of these videos has surprised anybody.

Most modern turbo cars also cost 3x as much as it cost to build the Civic, so again...I don't see the point.

The "my frankenstein 15 year-old car is just-as/almost-as-fast" for less money argument is pretty lame.

Point is I like to race and video what we do. The closest track to us is about an hour and a half away and as previously mentioned, is not very good for people going for test and tune because you get 3 runs max. No one is twisting your arm forcing you to click and view or even reply to my threads, that's your choice.

And once again, I didn't start the Turbo vs. NA argument, but I am gonna reply and post my thoughts when people compare a car that cost about 8K to buy and build against brand new cars that cost 30K+.

#5813276 - 09/20/11 05:26 PM Re: 04 RSX-S vs. EG Hatch w/ B18C5 [Re: Kick to ze liver]
ElectronVTEC2 Offline
Post Master Sr

^Looks in sig. Cost less than 8K total, far less actually, and had cruise, A/C, stereo, was a great DD. And it ran 11s, not 14's. Point is, I know people who have far less than what I have in my DSM and run 10's, so that argument is out the window (especially when you consider the used domestic V8s that can be had these days). What's the hatch worth? Not 7k, I can promise you that, what's the point in arguing how much something cost if it still isn't worth that much, just like my DSM isn't worth 7k but that's around what I have into it. At the end of the day, if you come on here and "challenge" people as he did, demanding they have "personal results" or their opinion is worthless, well you're going to get flamed. No one needs "personal results" to know their mildly modded performance cars can shit that Honda out the back of them and not think twice. Plus, after having owned the same kind of setup, I can argue that the cars in my sig are better DD's since you don't have to beat the piss out of the thing to get it to actually get out of it's way. Again, speaking from experience here.

Todd

#5813362 - 09/20/11 06:17 PM Re: 04 RSX-S vs. EG Hatch w/ B18C5 [Re: Kick to ze liver]
cacasesi Offline
Say my name!
Post Master Supreme

And once again, I didn't start the Turbo vs. NA argument, but I am gonna reply and post my thoughts when people compare a car that cost about 8K to buy and build against brand new cars that cost 30K+.

Whoa buddy! Your noob counterpart said to me, "My daily is fastAr and get better gas mileage then yours.". I didn't say shit to him before that. In other words, he freely chose to compare his $8k car to my car. I'm sorry that he was wrong, as his car is much slower than my car. You and him can't back up and now pretend it's somehow unfair to compare the two cars. It was his idea.

Point is - don't call people out with your 14 second car. It's 2011, everything runs 14s. My grandmother's Odyssey with a K-pro would take that hatch.

#5813515 - 09/20/11 08:12 PM Re: 04 RSX-S vs. EG Hatch w/ B18C5 [Re: ]
ElectronVTEC2 Offline
Post Master Sr

An Odyssey with a tune makes me giggle a little \:\)

Todd

#5813573 - 09/20/11 08:42 PM Re: 04 RSX-S vs. EG Hatch w/ B18C5 [Re: ElectronVTEC2]
DDirL Offline
Jr Member

Loc: NYC
MeH "fast" or not swapped Hatches are fun as hell to drive.
#5813622 - 09/20/11 09:04 PM Re: 04 RSX-S vs. EG Hatch w/ B18C5 [Re: DDirL]
cacasesi Offline
Say my name!
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: ElectronVTEC2
An Odyssey with a tune makes me giggle a little \:\)

It would be fun to tune and spray one of those. There's probably bigger valve Acura heads that can drop on there. Pull the rear interior; air ride; futon mattress; you've got a fast sex machine on wheels with DVD and PS3.

Originally Posted By: DDirL
MeH "fast" or not swapped Hatches are fun as hell to drive.

Truth.

#5813836 - 09/20/11 10:50 PM Re: 04 RSX-S vs. EG Hatch w/ B18C5 [Re: cacasesi]
NVMYMPGZ Offline
Sr Member

Loc: White Plains, NY
More real world results are in.
b18c5 hatch > 2.0t gti dsg aprstage1

Vids in the morning

#5813863 - 09/20/11 11:02 PM Re: 04 RSX-S vs. EG Hatch w/ B18C5 [Re: NVMYMPGZ]
THE_CHIEF914 Offline

Originally Posted By: NVMYMPGZ
More real world results are in.
b18c5 hatch > 2.0t gti dsg aprstage1

Vids in the morning

dc5 > b18c5 hatch > 2.0t

in 4 vidz

Edited by THE_CHIEF914 (09/20/11 11:05 PM)

#5813965 - 09/21/11 12:32 AM Re: 04 RSX-S vs. EG Hatch w/ B18C5 [Re: NVMYMPGZ]
cacasesi Offline
Say my name!
Post Master Supreme

Hard to believe, but not impossible. Without seeing the vid, I'd have to guess the GTI driver is letting the computer do the shifting, which isn't the fastest. You have to put it M mode and short shift it to get the most once it's tuned.

Either way, my car is still faster.

#5813980 - 09/21/11 01:06 AM Re: 04 RSX-S vs. EG Hatch w/ B18C5 [Re: cacasesi]
NVMYMPGZ Offline
Sr Member

Loc: White Plains, NY
 Originally Posted By: cacasesi
Hard to believe, but not impossible. Without seeing the vid, I'd have to guess the GTI driver is letting the computer do the shifting, which isn't the fastest. You have to put it M mode and short shift it to get the most once it's tuned.

Either way, my car is still faster.

Whats a properly shifted stage1 car run on paper?

#5814107 - 09/21/11 07:50 AM Re: 04 RSX-S vs. EG Hatch w/ B18C5 [Re: NVMYMPGZ]
cacasesi Offline
Say my name!
Post Master Supreme

Low 14's around 98-100. Like I said, you could beat one, but it should be very close. If you put car lengths on him, he probably is redlining gears which slow on a stage 1 car.
#5814151 - 09/21/11 08:24 AM Re: 04 RSX-S vs. EG Hatch w/ B18C5 [Re: ElectronVTEC2]
Euphoricuck Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Canadistan
I can argue that the cars in my sig are better DD's since you don't have to beat the piss out of the thing to get it to actually get out of it's way.

ok its officially 1999 and you are on drugs.

#5814165 - 09/21/11 08:33 AM Re: 04 RSX-S vs. EG Hatch w/ B18C5 [Re: Euphoricuck]
ElectronVTEC2 Offline
Post Master Sr

Originally Posted By: Euphoric
I can argue that the cars in my sig are better DD's since you don't have to beat the piss out of the thing to get it to actually get out of it's way.

ok its officially 1999 and you are on drugs.

You actually think a B16A EM1 or even a swapped hatch is easier "around town" than a MS3? Have you ever driven an MS3? If so, you were drunk when you did if you still have that impression. Put both cars in 3rd gear off a rolling stop and see which one actually gets moving first. It's called torque, and the MS3 has it in spades at 3K RPM. Compared to a blender making peak torque > 6500 RPM, I stand by my statement and challenge you to refute it with actual facts, rather than conjecture and sarcasm.

Todd

#5814199 - 09/21/11 08:49 AM Re: 04 RSX-S vs. EG Hatch w/ B18C5 [Re: ElectronVTEC2]
Euphoricuck Offline
Post Master Supreme

what is "easier around town"? wtf kind of lame metric is that? Its a tired old argument that holds no weight. In no way do you need to be flogging or redline ripping any honda to get around town. I dont know what nascar race track your daily commute is on but where I am if you are out at rush hour(which is like 24/7 these days) you are stuck crawling along on a slow moving parking lot err I mean road.

Sure the ms3 has lots of torque to go in 3rd gear from a stop...but so what? who gives a shit? how does that correlate to being easier around town? Cause you are to lazy to click up a gear?
The honda has shorter gearing and puts out plenty to move(even enough to leave in 2nd gear)...sure I guess you wont feel it nearly as much but its got more than enough for booting around town.

and the blender may make peak torque at 7k rpm but its holding all the torque it does have across the entire rev band.

the shit i drive now makes more than double the torch y hondas made(n/a) and guess what. its no easier to drive around town. none what so ever. I still drive the same way. Still get places at the same time. The STi makes even more torch once the turbo is online(outside boost its like any other 4 banger)...and even then its still the same to boot around town in. Never mind the fact that romping in boost throws mpg out the window.

Where you can romp on a honda if you want and still pull 30+ mpg. Everything has some sort of trade off, but driving around town is not any kind of useful metric and is just internet bs.

#5814229 - 09/21/11 09:00 AM Re: 04 RSX-S vs. EG Hatch w/ B18C5 [Re: Euphoricuck]
ElectronVTEC2 Offline
Post Master Sr

Since I do a lot of highway driving, merging on to a 70 MPH freeway is just plain easier in the MS3. One thing for sure, it's faster, but I don't have to flog it to get it up to speed. I don't have to wind it out to 8K RPM. In a Honda, if you want to "go fast" you have to mean it - you have to be committed that you are going to wind out each gear in order to get the thing going at a decent clip. Not so with an MS3 or my DSM (the DSM isn't really even fair in this conversation). I can half-throttle it in high gear (4th, let's say) from 40 MPH and catch right up to traffic. Try doing that in your beloved Honda - no seriously. I should know, I'VE FUCKING OWNED THEM. Jesus I don't get what is so hard about this. I've had three different iterations of B-series motors, as outlined previously. And if I were to drive the same scenario I just described earlier, I would have to downshift to at least 3rd, if not 2nd, wind out 2nd, get it into 3rd a little, then go to 4th and 5th. In the MS3, even if I'm starting out at 2500 RPM in 4th, I can still get out of everyone's way and barely feel like I'm pushing the car. Sorry man, I know you love Hondas and all, but you're just plain wrong. Try passing a car in 5th gear, starting at 60 MPH in your Honda. Better have a lot of free room to do so, or you can drop down to 3rd to do so. I'll take the easy route and just... pass them.

Todd

#5814237 - 09/21/11 09:02 AM Re: 04 RSX-S vs. EG Hatch w/ B18C5 [Re: ElectronVTEC2]
ElectronVTEC2 Offline
Post Master Sr

Quote:
d the blender may make peak torque at 7k rpm but its holding all the torque it does have across the entire rev band.

This makes me laugh. So it can hold 140 ft-lbs from 3500 RPM to 7500 RPM. Whooptee doo. I'll take 270 ft-lbs tapering down to 200 ft-lbs any day of the week.

Todd

#5814263 - 09/21/11 09:12 AM Re: 04 RSX-S vs. EG Hatch w/ B18C5 [Re: ElectronVTEC2]
Euphoricuck Offline
Post Master Supreme

merging onto 70 mph freeway is not around town driving... Even still in no way do you NEED to flog it to merge. wtf asinine shit is this.
ya if you want to race you have to be committed but what kind of clown is redlining gears and power shifting just to merge(besides having fun)? its simply not needed and you are over exaggerating big time.
The way you talk there is no way the millions of civic drivers could even have a hope of getting on the freeway...yet millions do it everyday just fine..keep up with the flow of traffic and arent beating the snot out of their cars to do it. omg no wai how!?!?!?!!

I rarely downshifted to pass on the highway at 60+ mph..revs were already north of 4k rpm. 5th gear passing was fine and didnt take 8 yrs either. Would an all out run in top gear from 70-80 be quicker in the ms3...sure but that doesnt mean the honda wasnt capable of doing it and within a reasonable amt of time.

And if a scenario did call for a downshift...so what? since when is that difficult? its called driving. omg clutch pedal in, drop gear. push gas omg bro brain overload i cant do this. Brah I just spilt my starbucks mochasexual grande.

Even with my car now if I really need power I downshift ...and it makes plenty of torch omg anomaly , more torch than your car does 3k and under lol daily driving rpm.

#5814290 - 09/21/11 09:24 AM Re: 04 RSX-S vs. EG Hatch w/ B18C5 [Re: Euphoricuck]
ElectronVTEC2 Offline
Post Master Sr

Merging onto a highway at 70 may not be daily driving for you, but it sure as hell is for me, and in that scenario the MS3 is just smoother and easier to get up to speed, without having to worry about if shifting wrong will take me out of VTEC. I also do quite a bit of in-town driving, and frankly, coming up to a light that's about to turn green, I can keep it in 4th and just "go" where, sure you can do the same in a Civic but it's not the same, not by any stretch.

I have a manual because I like downshifting, so quit the "OMG lol adjective" bullshit you stole from lastweek to try and make a point. The millions of people driving Civics are not enthusiasts, they are zombie drivers just getting from point A to point B. Swallow your love for Hondas for just a second and look at it objectively for once in your life - arguing that 250 ft-lbs or whatever it is available at 3K RPM is easier to drive around town than 140 ft-lbs is like saying you accelerate faster in 1st gear than you do in 5th gear, it's not a gray area, it's black and white fact. I love Honda's too, and I love the fact that they are so fun to drive because you can wind them out and let them eat, but to go from a standing start to, say 65 MPH off a light on a highway with any sort of urgency is sort of annoying in a B-series car. That's just the way it is. I'm not sure how many more scenarios I need to paint for you to prove my point, but it's kind of like arguing with a wall so I'll just stop now.

Todd

#5814310 - 09/21/11 09:36 AM Re: 04 RSX-S vs. EG Hatch w/ B18C5 [Re: ]
ElectronVTEC2 Offline
Post Master Sr

I should also concede that most certainly, Honda's are far easier to drive than they *could* be due to ingenious gearing. I have always been impressed by how well Honda's respond at low RPM given the amount of torque they are limited to. So I shouldn't make it sound like I hate driving Honda's around or anything. As a matter of fact, I've been looking for a car that *did* drive around as well as a Honda, if not a little better. I think I found it in the MS3, and I'm very happy about it as it's not an easy thing to do, and it's even more difficult to explain.

Todd

#5814328 - 09/21/11 09:47 AM Re: 04 RSX-S vs. EG Hatch w/ B18C5 [Re: ElectronVTEC2]
Euphoricuck Offline
Post Master Supreme

its not just a gearing thing. its the fact its a good designed engine and makes its torch(as little as it may be) across the board. it may peak at 7k rpm but its still making similar torque at 1500 rpm. Its got great n/a response for what it is.

I find driving cars with more torch no "eaiser" around town. Sure I feel my movement more in the seat of my pants but Im not getting anywhere faster.

the asian guy in the beige corolla is still keeping up with me as I drive reasonably to work or the store. Its not unless I get on it harder would I start to pull away from such cars...but then there goes the mpg...not that I am a hyper miler by any stretch but I also dont race around every corner.

#5814348 - 09/21/11 09:59 AM Re: 04 RSX-S vs. EG Hatch w/ B18C5 [Re: Euphoricuck]
ElectronVTEC2 Offline
Post Master Sr

That makes sense, but I think that's honestly where DI comes into play. You can foot it a little more and not shoot your mileage down the toilet. I'm seeing a combined 25-27 mpg with mostly city driving right now. I'll be back to my 90/10 highway here in a few weeks when I move back to Corporate for work. I'm happy with it, and I get on it at least once every time I drive it. These cars don't like to be babied all over the place, they get buildup and all that crap so, darnit, you have to let 'em eat sometimes \:\)

Todd

#5814592 - 09/21/11 11:54 AM Re: 04 RSX-S vs. EG Hatch w/ B18C5 [Re: ElectronVTEC2]
OnyxEros Offline
Post Master Supreme

a car with torque is easier to drive around town.

that's why i enjoy driving a tdi to my evo around town...

#5814700 - 09/21/11 12:33 PM Re: 04 RSX-S vs. EG Hatch w/ B18C5 [Re: OnyxEros]
Euphoricuck Offline
Post Master Supreme

tdis dont get anywhere fast despite all their torch(stock car)

in fact those mother fuckers hold traffic up all.the.damn.time, especailly off a light.

evo/talons are a complete dogs out of boost.

#5814733 - 09/21/11 12:43 PM Re: 04 RSX-S vs. EG Hatch w/ B18C5 [Re: Euphoricuck]
OnyxEros Offline
Post Master Supreme

don't need to get anywhere fast around town...speed limit is 35mph ;\)

#5814881 - 09/21/11 02:00 PM Re: 04 RSX-S vs. EG Hatch w/ B18C5 [Re: ]
FCobra94 Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: MD
you can't argue that it's not "easier" in a car with torque in the lower rpms.

Sure you can; he argues it in every single thread he posts in ;\)

Either way, I agree...jumping into something with more power everywhere will be a welcome change after coming out of the Civic. Revving this thing out for enjoyment and/or out of necessity just isn't as fun as it used to be lol annoying

#5815080 - 09/21/11 03:35 PM Re: 04 RSX-S vs. EG Hatch w/ B18C5 [Re: ]
g96nt Offline
Jr Poster

Loc: Annapolis MD
We just took a thread titled "04 RSX-S vs. EG Hatch w/ B18C5" 5 pages. what. the. fuck.

I don't think there was a single mention of Rick King, Crush bent exhaust, OR god's chariot...

someone just mentioned that a car with usable torque is much more city-friendly.

I think that goes witout saying. Big-turbo/high-revving 4-cylinders are never ideal for city driving.

I'd say.. if you were doing a lot of city driving, you might want to consider the Accord.

#5815655 - 09/21/11 07:43 PM Re: 04 RSX-S vs. EG Hatch w/ B18C5 [Re: g96nt]
cliff st-clair Offline
Post Master Sr

Torquey cars are easier to drive around town than less torquey ones but they are not always more fun to drive. Just look at the ep3 Si vs the em1, and look at the current Si and the previous one. Most true enthusiast agree the predecessors in each case were more fun to drive.
But the MS3 is easier to drive AND more fun than all generations of Sis because the torque kicks in abruptly at low rpms and of course it is way faster.

#5815678 - 09/21/11 08:00 PM Re: 04 RSX-S vs. EG Hatch w/ B18C5 [Re: cliff st-clair]
Kick to ze liver Offline
Poster

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9F8wggsVi74&feature=youtu.be

Page 4 of 5 <12345>

Moderator:  auxilary, Professor Paki 
Hop to:
Shout Box

CSi Sponsors

DiGBiC Lighters
DiGBiC Lighters
DallasColo
Dallas Colocation
ClubSi.com Shirts
ClubSi-Shirts
GameStop
Black-Friday Specials
Big Brake Kits
StopTech.Sale BBK Clearance
Brake Kits
Buy Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
BuyBrakes
Brake Kits-Pads & Rotors Sets
StopTech Brake Kits
StopTech
StopTech NZ
StopTech
StopTech Australia
StopTech
Hawk Brake Pads
Hawk Brake Pads
Samys Camera
GoPros, Cameras, Gear
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Pad Coupons
Coupon Code "hondafetish"
Porsche Brakes
Porsche Brake Upgrades
2-Piece Rotors-Civic Type-R
2-Piece Civic Rotors
Advertisement

| Brake Pads | | How To Change Brake Pads | | Drilled Slotted Brake Kits Cheap | EBC Brake Kits | Performance Brake Kits | Brake Specials Near Me | How To Replace Brake Pads