Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#3770241 - 05/27/09 12:41 PM Clutch Noise - Master Cylinder (update 8/27/09)
BOOM Offline
Poster

Loc: Southeast
Have a 2006 Si with 48,000 miles. When the car was new I had a problem with clutch noise. I took it to the dealer and they lubed the clutch slave cylinder. For the past couple of years it's been ok, but recently it started making the noise again. I took it back and they tried the same "fix". Well this time it didn't work. When I depress the clutch, I hear a squeaking noise, (it sounds like and old screen door opening/closing). On the paperwork it states the problem and that more work would need to be preformed to permanently fix the issue. When I called the dealer to complain, (I told them I wanted it fixed under the 5/60000 power train warranty) they said tough luck it's not under warranty. I simply couldn't believe it and called American Honda and they said it was. I'm now fighting with the dealership to get the slave cylinder replaced.

Just curious if anyone else is experiencing this problem? The tech at the dealership said several Si's have had the same clutch noise.

Edited by BOOM (08/27/09 02:12 PM)
Edit Reason: update

Videos
#3770520 - 05/27/09 01:57 PM Re: Clutch Noise - Slave Cylinder [Re: BOOM]
Alien21 Offline
Poster

Loc: Orange County, NY
Are you sure its not your master cylinder now or a release bearing? I just changed the clutch on my car 2 days ago. 105k on the car, clutch was fine preasure plate good I guess but the release bearing barely moved on the shaft housing. I also noticed that I can squeeze the slave cylinder by hand, I asked a tech at local dealer and he told me that master cylinders go on our cars first
#3819969 - 06/14/09 03:51 PM Re: Clutch Noise - Slave Cylinder [Re: Alien21]
civicstyle Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: San Antonio
Mine has been making the same noise. Will take to stealership to have it looked at...

08.19.2023 - Electric Shakedown 25 - 800 Live - San Antonio
https://www.facebook.com/events/1384435905743451

#3820711 - 06/14/09 09:41 PM Re: Clutch Noise - Slave Cylinder [Re: BOOM]
Design Moderator Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: The OC
Sounds like a simple case of a dealer oversight. If still not resolved, you should call HOA while at the dealer, and let them talk to the service manager. Otherwise take your car to another dealer.

Let us know what the issue turns out to be. Good luck.
89 Camaro - Sold
CSI. What's your diversion?

#3822812 - 06/15/09 03:15 PM Re: Clutch Noise - Slave Cylinder [Re: Design]
AX-NY'06Si Offline
Jr Member

Loc: Southern NY State
Had the noise. It comes and goes.

#3824700 - 06/16/09 08:15 AM Re: Clutch Noise - Slave Cylinder [Re: AX-NY'06Si]
Alien21 Offline
Poster

I have a problem with my slave cylinder. I can compress it by hand with no effort but it works. can you guys let me know if yours is the same?
#3947442 - 07/30/09 08:12 PM Re: Clutch Noise - Slave Cylinder [Re: Alien21]
Foghorn Offline

I have an 07 Si. After numerous visits to the dealer, I finally have an appt. The mechanic thinks it may be the release bearing. The noise has been there for months now, upon acceleration a fluttering noise is there about 50% of the time. I wll keep you posted.
#3949268 - 07/31/09 01:00 PM Re: Clutch Noise - Slave Cylinder [Re: Foghorn]
AX-NY'06Si Offline
Jr Member

Loc: Southern NY State
Alien 21 - I just did my clutch and flywheel. I can also depress my slave by just pinching it between my thumb and index finger. There is no fluid loss and there is no release problems, so I think it is normal. Was also that way with my 1G DSM.

#3953775 - 08/03/09 07:19 AM Re: Clutch Noise - Slave Cylinder [Re: AX-NY'06Si]
Alien21 Offline
Poster

thanks AX, but now i have to drop the trans again cause my release fork and piviot bolt broke. i just cant wait to do this job again.
#4005534 - 08/20/09 08:16 PM Re: Clutch Noise - Slave Cylinder [Re: Alien21]
NHBP07Si Offline

Loc: Lee Co. Florida
i to have a 07 SI and mine just started making this squeaking noise. Lord its annoying. Im taking her to the dealer in the morning, wish me luck
#4023259 - 08/27/09 02:11 PM Re: Clutch Noise - Slave Cylinder [Re: BOOM]
BOOM Offline
Poster

Loc: Southeast
Update: OK, sorry it's been so long, but it's finally getting fixed today.

After talking with American Honda and opening an incident, the dealer called me and wanted to do a more thorough diagnostic on the problem. I brought the car to them again and left it for a couple of days. They finally called and said they've determined it was the forks going into the master cylinder (not slave cylinder like they originally thought) that was causing the noise and replacing the master cylinder will fix it. They again stated it wasn't under warranty, but most of it would be covered by Honda as a "courtesy". The total to replace the cylinder was $504.00, and I'm going to end up paying $149.00 out of pocket to cover the labor. (I was tired of fighting with them and simply just told them to do it and I'll pay the labor cost)

On another note, I've had the notchy 3rd gear problem for a while and decided I wanted that fixed at the same time. Well, after 2 technicians drove it, I received a call stating they couldn't reproduce the problem (BS). I argued with them and was finally told I needed to come in and test drive it with the technician so he can see what I was talking about. I showed up, got in the car and literally drove it 3 miles and pointed out the issue and the tech told me to turn around and head back to the dealership. We got back and he said he would order the parts and it should only be a day or so to get them installed. While I was there, I was talking to the service coordinator and he stated that most people wouldn't of even showed up for the test drive and usually just come and get their car because the customer is trying to get something fixed that didn't need to be. Basically I believe it was a test to see how serious I was. Keep this in mind if they want you to come back and take a drive the the tech.

So, I'm waiting to pick the car up in the morning and hopefully both issues will have been resolved. BTW - while the tech had the tranny apart I had them replace the clutch just to try and save a bit of money in the future. It didn't have to be replaced, but for a $500 savings I asked them to do it. It is normally $1000 to get a new clutch installed and I'm paying right a $500 to have it done.

#4024727 - 08/27/09 08:44 PM Re: Clutch Noise - Slave Cylinder [Re: BOOM]
Design Moderator Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: The OC
Interesting. Not to make you feel bad, but civic clutches can go up tp 120-150K (or longer) without the need to replace them; even if you drive spiritedly.
89 Camaro - Sold
CSI. What's your diversion?

#4025945 - 08/28/09 08:43 AM Re: Clutch Noise - Slave Cylinder [Re: Design]
Alien21 Offline
Poster

thats true.i had to replace mine after 105k but clutch wasnt the problem it was caked up dust on the release bearing. and by the way tell them to check the release fork and piviot bolt cause i have to replace them on my car
Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  Design, A_Mantis, Professor Paki 
Hop to:
Shout Box

CSi Sponsors

DiGBiC Lighters
DiGBiC Lighters
DallasColo
Dallas Colocation
ClubSi.com Shirts
ClubSi-Shirts
GameStop