Page all of 5 12345>
Topic Options
#33890 - 10/14/03 10:56 PM Need a Kill Switch
DXorsist77 Offline
Jr Member

Loc: Columbia,SC,USA,North America,...
I need some ideas on a kill switch for my Civic. Any bright ideas or has anybody tried this? Help me out.

Visit Sponsors! Help CSi !
#33891 - 10/15/03 12:15 AM Re: Need a Kill Switch
Air_Siren_Si Offline
Jr Member

Loc: Denver, CO
what do you want to have the cutoff on. Fuel is most effective in my opinion, and is this to complement anti-theft?

#33892 - 10/15/03 08:09 AM Re: Need a Kill Switch
DXorsist77 Offline
Jr Member

Yes. I see alot u guys on "Member's Profiles" complaining how your Civics are getting stolen. Right now i live in this small town( I'm in the Army) and next year i'll be finally moving to a real city. I don't wanna get caught with my pants down. Got any ideas for fuel?

#33893 - 10/15/03 08:17 AM Re: Need a Kill Switch
jjtackleberry Offline
Jr Member

Loc: KS
What other kind of kill switch could you put in?

#33894 - 10/15/03 08:43 AM Re: Need a Kill Switch
borrega Offline
Jr Poster

Loc: garland,tejas
put starter kill switch also and gas pump switch 2 for those ...leaving d car in d mall parking lot while shopping with grandma days I wish i did or i still had my hp racing rims on my si bastards

#33895 - 10/15/03 10:54 AM Re: Need a Kill Switch
jjtackleberry Offline
Jr Member

Can some post a "how-to" on the fuel cut off, and or a starter cut off. PICS would be very helpful.

Thanks ahead of time.

#33896 - 10/15/03 11:20 AM Re: Need a Kill Switch
Ziggles Offline
Jr Member

Loc: Santa Barbara, CA
i have to go to class in a few minutes...but here's a bit of info:

next to the driver seat, to the left, running along the floor are a bunch of wires (they are under the paneling). Most of these wires are encased in a 3-4 foot sheath. Some of the wires run all the way to the middle of the chassis, so they are in black "tubing" stuff. To make a killswitch that cuts off the fuel pump, you need to look for the YELLOW wire, with the GREEN stripe. Now, take your average, run of the mill switch (whether you like flip switch, or push switch, doesn't matter) and wire it to the yellow/green wire. It's been awhile since i've done this, and we were working on a 2000 civic; but the whole thing works perfectly now. I'll see if i can get my friend to post up pics of the general process. His car is somewhat stripped and so it would be pretty easy, but no promises (he's a bit secretive, for good reason, about this stuff).

#33897 - 10/15/03 01:42 PM fuel kill switch
gatherer Offline

problem with a push button is if it's a momentary push button as soon as you release the button the fuel pump will stop. a STSP switch is the best to get.

wiring it up is simple cut the yellow wire with the green strip going to the fuel pump and connect one end to one terminal of the switch and the other end to the other terminal.

stuff you need to watch out for:

1) the yellow wire not being long enough to place the switch where you want (solution solder extension wires to it)

2) the switch has 3 terminals (solution solder one wire to the middle terminal and the other wire to one of the (and only one) outter terminals. )

3) the switch has 4 or 6 terminals (buy a simplier switch)

anyways the install is about an hour (including time to let the soldering iron heat up). PM me if you want help with it.

#33898 - 10/15/03 04:28 PM Re: Need a Kill Switch
TranZenD si 209 Offline
Major Member

Loc: Stockton, CA
kill starter doesnt do much, if someone can get into your car, and if your car is a stick, all they can do it push start it and it starts right up. invest in the club for the steering wheel and the one for the pedel.

#33899 - 10/15/03 05:08 PM Re: Need a Kill Switch
DXorsist77 Offline
Jr Member

Quote:

kill starter doesnt do much, if someone can get into your car, and if your car is a stick, all they can do it push start it and it starts right up. invest in the club for the steering wheel and the one for the pedel.

Damn, for real? Well i figure a kill switch and an alarm should do. If not, then the fucker who steals my car wins.

#33900 - 10/15/03 07:36 PM Re: Need a Kill Switch
borrega Offline
Jr Poster

Loc: garland,tejas
yeah is all great but d tricky part is wer to put it ,what a guy i no did was he put a dummie switch in d glove box to throw them out for a loop but where u put it is main thing

what i was thinking of, is putting one in d cigaret lighter i had my car for 11/2 and never use it so cut a little from d top of d casing with a dramell just enough were u can switch it with one finger and sand it to take d rough edges off ,than a hard adhesive to put it in place or tie wraps d small kind i will need a bigger gauge wire do since i got to take d voltage resistance into account but ill let u no how it goes...is just an experiment so i will do it in a dummie lighter first that pick at a junk yard

#33901 - 10/16/03 12:58 AM Re: Need a Kill Switch
SiBuddy00 Offline
Jr Member

Quote:

How will the car run when the fuel pump isn't running? Also... can you make a starter kill switch? anyone got any pix of that goin on?

#33902 - 10/16/03 06:27 AM Re: Need a Kill Switch
DXorsist77 Offline
Jr Member

Quote:

yeah is all great but d tricky part is wer to put it ,what a guy i no did was he put a dummie switch in d glove box to throw them out for a loop but where u put it is main thing

what i was thinking of, is putting one in d cigaret lighter i had my car for 11/2 and never use it so cut a little from d top of d casing with a dramell just enough were u can switch it with one finger and sand it to take d rough edges off ,than a hard adhesive to put it in place or tie wraps d small kind i will need a bigger gauge wire do since i got to take d voltage resistance into account but ill let u no how it goes...is just an experiment so i will do it in a dummie lighter first that pick at a junk yard

let me know how it turns out. Get some pics if u can. Thanx

#33903 - 10/18/03 11:58 AM Re: Need a Kill Switch
Air_Siren_Si Offline
Jr Member

Fuel cutoff is the most effective by far. I tapped a switch right off the wires leaving the fuel pump (its underneath the back seat in that silver oval). When the switch is activated, my 99 Si only runs for 2-3 seconds before it dies, I couldn't even get it in gear in that time.

#33904 - 10/18/03 01:06 PM Re: Need a Kill Switch
jjtackleberry Offline
Jr Member

Lets see some pics, NOT of the switch location, but the wiring install

#33905 - 10/19/03 12:40 AM Re: Need a Kill Switch
DXorsist77 Offline
Jr Member

Quote:

Yes please!

#33906 - 10/19/03 03:10 AM Re: Need a Kill Switch
SiBuddy00 Offline
Jr Member

Quote:

Quote:

Yes please!

i third that

#33907 - 10/20/03 08:28 AM Re: Need a Kill Switch
jjtackleberry Offline
Jr Member

...and I'll forth it.......

#33908 - 10/20/03 09:18 PM Re: Need a Kill Switch
Air_Siren_Si Offline
Jr Member

Ok, here is what I did for fuel cutoff. I refered to page 11-236 in the helms manual, this if for a 96-00 civic.

I removed the backseat, upper and lower parts. I also removed the drivers side rear panel to run my wires to the switch. You will see an large aluminum oval dead center, the fuel pump is under this. You can take off the aluminum cover (4 screws), but there really is no need to. I just took the electrical tape leaving the cover off and pulled the wires out. Find the Yellow wire with a green stripe, it is one of the larger ones. Cut your wire and you will be sending each end of that to a switch. Use 16 or 18 guage wire leading to your switch. A relay can also be used, also optional, but i didn't use one.

I hid the switch in my trunk. But that is because my trunk was modded for only remote pop. You can put the switch anywhere, you can even have two switches for extra security. I prefer tapping the wires strait off the fuel pump, because ECU tapping is easier for a theif to work around. They aren't going to be taking out your back seats, at least i don't think so. Let me know if you need more help with this.

#33909 - 10/20/03 11:32 PM Re: Need a Kill Switch
DXorsist77 Offline
Jr Member

God Bless You!!!

#33910 - 10/21/03 12:01 AM Re: Need a Kill Switch
braintree Offline
Sr Member

Loc: chicago
Here you go, this was a post I did on another board(you can ignore part one, I just cut and pasted everything).

Part 1

So last week, I was able to get a set of autometer boost and a/f gauges from AWD 4G63 (thanks again)

Since it was a nice weekend, I decided to make a gauge holder for them. With the gauges in hand, I chose to throw them in the compartment near the cup holders. So I took out the cup holders and went on a quest for ABS plastic.

After hours of searching the south burbs for plastic, I found none. Everyshop I talked to had to order it. So sad and beaten, I stop by my dad’s shop and then it had shown itself. In the back was a discarded chevy cavalier front-end. I looked around and found the fender moldings. So bare-handed, I ripped them out and cut them to shape. Then I riveted them to the cup-holders and the DIY was near completion.

Once the molding was in place, I cut somes holes in them, put the gauges in and threw the bad-boy back in the car.

All in all, $2 for extra wires + $2 for connectors + $0 for cavalier molding =

Part 2

Well, being the loser that I am with mucho free time; my weekend was not done yet. So I decided to make a fuel-cutoff switch. With that in mind, I headed back to Radio shack and picked up a rocker switch.

Then I found my fuel pump power wire

and made a slice. With some male and female connectors, I attached it to some wires and ran it to my hidden switch.

So for that DIY, $4 for the rocker switch + $2 for wires + $1.50 for male/female connectors = a $7.50 security system that rivals many high-tech ones. With the hidden switch in the off position, no power to the fuel pump = no fuel to the engine = no moving for the car.

#33911 - 10/21/03 08:53 AM Re: Need a Kill Switch
DXorsist77 Offline
Jr Member

You my man are the shizznitz! Muchas gracias!

#33912 - 10/23/03 09:29 AM Re: Need a Kill Switch
civicgeek9 Offline
Jr Member

Loc: Dallas/Ft.Worth, Texas
And even better solution than that just listed above is this setup here ....

It will cost you about 20 bucks for all the materials, and there is no "hidden" switch like in the one above.
The switch to enable the circuit is a magnetic reed switch, so unless this thief happens to be carrying a magnet on him, forget it. If he could even find where the switch is located. It can be virtually anywhere on your car. If they were to know where it was, it could be bypassed without a magnet, but would still be a lot more difficult than the above description. You would have to know what wires did waht considering you would ahve 4 to work with. As a matter of fact, because of the way the reed switch works, I'm not sure if there is an easy bypass. I will have to investigate more.
The cutout described above is just a simple toggle switch, very easy to find, and very easy to bypass.

Very nice design and works great. I installed it a couple weeks ago and it's da shit! Between this and my Alarm, I feel much safer about my car being stolen whilst I'm at the movies, mall, etc...

Good Luck!

#33913 - 10/23/03 10:06 AM Re: Need a Kill Switch
SiR Driver Offline
Post Master

Loc: Toronto, ON
Hallelujah on finally having an excellent Kill Switch thread.
Thanks to everyone who posted.

#33914 - 10/23/03 12:43 PM Re: Need a Kill Switch
DXorsist77 Offline
Jr Member

Quote:

Hallelujah on finally having an excellent Kill Switch thread.
Thanks to everyone who posted.

Ditto

#33915 - 10/24/03 12:46 AM Re: Need a Kill Switch
SiBuddy00 Offline
Jr Member

Can you use a Heavy Duty 12-Volt Horn Relay for that project? And.... Why not do the switch and the magnet thing? Double it up, then it'd be really really tough, those two + alarm? But mostly... Can you use a Heavy Duty 12-Volt Horn Relay for that project? And I may just be slow but... does that magnet project look tuff or is it just me? I'd like to know how to do it though. Also... what gauge wiring would a person use?

#33916 - 10/24/03 09:14 AM Re: Need a Kill Switch
civicgeek9 Offline
Jr Member

Okay here ya go for the magnet style relay cutout. Some more details and information....

You will need the parts listed of course.
Get the Heavy duty auto relay, a must have for making that connection into your fuel pump. It's a high current/high voltage application, and can handle the amperage running thru it for prolonged periods of time. Which is something you will want when wiring into your fuel pump's power line.
For the DPDT relay, the relays i was able to find at Radio Shack where like 10V only. You need a 12V DPDT. At least that. And the reed switches at radio shack work, but are very low amperage as well. I'm still trying to locate better ones to use. Fry's was out of stock when I was there last. But they do have nice DPDT relays @ 12V and like 10Amps, perfect for this application.
Cars run 12V (duh!) and about 6-9 amps of current normally. Dependind on device being powered. So you need devices that can handle these currents. Now the reed switch will only be a temporary passage of power, so it's okay if it's amperage is lower, but there is a downside.
Sometimes, the circuit doesn't want to set when you first pass the magnet over it. You will hear the DPDT relay chatter, trying to go into the set or locked state so you can drive. It's not that bad of a setback. I wired it up anyways. It just takes a few passes of the magnet sometimes to get it to lock. But most of the time it works first try.
So you might want to try higher voltage and amperage DPDT relays and reed switches. until you can find one that works better. I don't mind if it gives me problems every now and again, I can deal for now until I get a larger reed, which I believe is what is causing it. Cause If i played with the circuit w/o the reed, it worked every single time with no chatter.

The schematic is so-so at best on that diagram. But it's actually quite simple. Just make sure you SOLDER ALL CONNECTIONS!! You don't want shit coming loose or touching and blowing something up. I am working ona better pic to post for all of you. It will make wiring that circuit much easier for those that aren't electrical engineers when they go to work. I got lucky, i know this shit, so it was quite easy for me.

I used my center console for mounting of a lot of the pieces, and then ran wires to my reed switch location. Then put the auto relay under the seat, try to use 6 inches at most, for the connections that you splice into your FP power line that will pass thru the relays input and output. Again, you don't want to loose voltage or amperage running into your FP motor.

I will post a schematic later after I get it finished for all those interested.

Materials can all be purchased at yoru local Fry's or other electronics store. Again, the shit available at Radio Shack isn't all the best. I think i used the Auto relays and reed switches I got from there, and that's about it. But I'm still looking for better reeds before I install this same shit into a friends car.

As for "doubling up" the circuit, this is possible, anyone want to take a crack at designing a circuit for this guy? I find that the one in that link and that i used is definitly enough for me. I mean, w/o fuel, you're fucked. The car can and will sometiems start, but die in about 30-60 secs at most. And if you're driving and it accidently trips, which mine has only done once in 3 weeks, you simply pull over and reset teh circuit. It helps to have another magnet hidden in the car and easier to get to than tha one on your keys.
Like anyone is going to know WTF that magnet is for stuck to the bottom of your seat!?!?!

If anyone is really interested in having one of these and not wanting to take the time to make it and all that. I am accepting $50 via paypal to make them for you. Materials cost me 20 bucks and then 20 bucks for my time and effort to make you a harness and 10 bucks for Fed Ex/UPS shipment.

PM me for more details. But please, I am still searching, so it may take me a couple weeks. Once I have located all the parts in a better stock, I can make them much faster and more of them. Right now I have only been able to scrounge up anough shit to make 2 more.
Prolly going to have to order the shit in bulk from somewhere.

#33917 - 10/24/03 10:44 AM Re: Need a Kill Switch
civicgeek9 Offline
Jr Member

okay so i made a new schematic for those that don't quite understand the last one.
I went and pulled apart my shit to verify everything.
If you have problems making thsi work. I am sorry about that.
Mine works just fine, except that reed switch and chattering problem I mentioned.
But I did learn, that if I hold the magnet, so that the flat surface faces the reed, instead of the small edge, it works 99.5% of the time on the first try.

Good Luck to all those that give it a try. I love mine!
Schematic... (sorry about the shitty resolution, it's hard w/o a scanner. And a digi cam pic just isn't the same. But it works. )

a sample of the goods....

one last thing... Radio shack sells little square magnets with a hole in the center that fits nicely onto a keychain if you want to do it that way... I just didn't want to carry around 2 alarm remotes on my keychain... I like my keys as light as possible. Also be sure your LED you buy is a 12vdc LED as well. If not, it will blow up as soon as you apply power.

#33918 - 11/08/03 11:12 AM Re: Need a Kill Switch
SiGuy00 Offline
Jr Member

Loc: Minnesota
Im definitly going to put a fuel kill switch in, and also a push starter. So they have to take the time to find them. hehe

#33919 - 11/08/03 06:26 PM Re: Need a Kill Switch
KneeGrow Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: San Francisco, CA
I used these instructions to make my fuel cut-off switch. http://www.courtlukens.com/cutoff_switch.htm
#33920 - 11/08/03 09:05 PM Re: Need a Kill Switch
DXorsist77 Offline
Jr Member

Quote:

I used these instructions to make my fuel cut-off switch. http://www.courtlukens.com/cutoff_switch.htm

So how did it come out? Any problems or suggestion? Oh yeah....where's ur switch?

#33921 - 11/09/03 01:17 PM Re: Need a Kill Switch
civicgeek9 Offline
Jr Member

that's just a simple on/off switch. as long as it's hidden good, then it's a good idea. otherwise, too easy to bypass.
but still a nice setup as well.

#33922 - 11/11/03 12:22 PM Re: Need a Kill Switch
SiGuy00 Offline
Jr Member

I did a fuel cut off and it works great. If the car is running and i flip the switch, it take about 3 seconds before it dies. Great post everybody. Psssss. just hid the switch in a good spot.

#33923 - 11/26/03 01:18 AM Re: Need a Kill Switch
ame540EBPsi Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: Work, CA
If you cant wait and you dont have the switch installed....

if im parking in a really sketchy neighborhood, etc... ill pull the ignition fuse from under the hood.
the car will try to start but wont turn over completly.

#33924 - 11/27/03 12:08 AM Re: Need a Kill Switch
DXorsist77 Offline
Jr Member

Quote:

if im parking in a really sketchy neighborhood, etc... ill pull the ignition fuse from under the hood.

Yeah and those "sketchy" guys watching u go under ur hood will think " He needs a kill switch."

Too much trouble for me. If the projects i'm going to is too ruff, either someone picks me up or fuck it I ain't going.

#33925 - 12/09/03 12:05 PM Re: Need a Kill Switch
danielsmith Offline
Jr Poster

Loc: San Diego, CA
I did my own little schematic drawing.. not realizing that one had already been done. If you can interpret my drawing at all (I know it's not electronically correct) I used a two sided LED that will light green on one side and red on the other. The schematic that I drew will cause the LED to light green when the fuel pump is active and red when the fuel pump is disconnected. Also, as was alluded to above, the two-color leds are NOT 12v and thus need a resistor to keep the power down, the exact resistor value will depend on which LED you get, but the one I purchased required a 333.33 Ohm resistor.

Hope this helps someone

Here it is. (PDF)

Edit: After reviewing my circuit, I need to make some modifications. Pin 6 needs to be tied to ping 7. (critical..or the damn thing won't work) And a co-worker suggested tying pin 4 on RELAY_DPDT to ignition power so that when you shut off the car, it automatically collapses everything and your fuel pump is disconnected... only bad thing about that is that you have to have your key in the "on" position for the whole thing to work. This means that if you have to have the magnet OFF of your key right
Last thing: The momentary switch on the bottom that's tied to pin 8 should be a normally closed... I forgot to specify/draw that. I'll leave that link up, but it will be revised this evening.

Daniel

Edited by danielsmith (12/09/03 01:51 PM)
'92 Honda Accord - AEM CAI, Tenzo Springs -- WTB: Stock 92-93 Accord Hub Caps (she's going back to stock) '00 Civic Si - Greddy EVO Exhaust, 17" OZ Superleggeras, TEIN Springs. (DC Intake for sale.. pm me)

#33926 - 12/10/03 08:12 PM Re: Need a Kill Switch
LBSpearo Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: CA
Quote:

Quote:

Yeah and those "sketchy" guys watching u go under ur hood will think " He needs a kill switch."

Too much trouble for me. If the projects i'm going to is too ruff, either someone picks me up or fuck it I ain't going.

I met a guy at the dealer getting parts for his stolen Civic. I was talking to him about how my Si was broken into several times. We discussed if he had an alarm and he said he did. He even took out the ignition fuse and they replaced that and drove off with his car in his driveway. Thieves are getting smarter and carry their own fuses. Just an FYI.

#33927 - 12/12/03 09:22 PM Re: Need a Kill Switch
marshun Offline
Poster

i just installed a switch that doesnt let the car get turned on. the fuel pump doesnt turn on and theres no spark or starter. and the switch stays right up front. i dont even have to leave the drivers seat to flip it.

#33928 - 12/12/03 11:21 PM Re: Need a Kill Switch
Neo Noodle Offline
Sr Member

Loc: Honolulu, HI
Quote:

Thieves are getting smarter and carry their own fuses. Just an FYI.

Yeah but did he take out ALL the SPARE fuses too? Not only that.. all fuses that are >= the ignition fuse that are not needed to drive the car? A theif doesn't need an extra fuse, there's tons in your fusebox already. Pulling the fuse is hard and kinda pointless IMO (but hey i used to do it too)
Quote:

i just installed a switch that doesnt let the car get turned on. the fuel pump doesnt turn on and theres no spark or starter. and the switch stays right up front. i dont even have to leave the drivers seat to flip it.

Me too.. Well i got sick of forgetting the switch and cranking the engine w/ no fuel.. so i installed an LED to remind me.. but that didn't work too well so then i connected it to a starter kill relay
"You are what you eat."

#33929 - 12/13/03 06:36 PM Re: Need a Kill Switch
Cee_mon Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: Barrie, Ontario
Quote:

I did a fuel cut off and it works great. If the car is running and i flip the switch, it take about 3 seconds before it dies. Great post everybody. Psssss. just hid the switch in a good spot.

I also did it, but mine dies in 1 sec.

#33930 - 12/13/03 08:55 PM Re: Need a Kill Switch
DXorsist77 Offline
Jr Member

Did u guys have some profetionals do it or did it yourself? I haven't had a chance to install mine yet. thinking of letting my pops do it when i go home to Boston. I wanna install my switch in a place where if i get car-jacked i can hit the switch without getting shot for sudden moves.

#33931 - 12/13/03 09:08 PM Re: Need a Kill Switch
Cee_mon Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: Barrie, Ontario
I did the install myself. I dont do much of my own work but this was really easy. Its easier if you choose to tap into the wiring under the door kick panel.

#33932 - 12/20/03 10:16 AM Re: Need a Kill Switch
danielsmith Offline
Jr Poster

Well.. I finally did this last night (the magnetic version) It's FRICKEN AWESOME. I rigged it up so there's a green light when the fuel pump is active and it turns red when it's disabled. I ran into one big snag though. I had run the wire from behind my dash back to the fuel pump and I kept popping fuses on the +12v I was tapping off of. Finally, 2 hours (and dinner) later.. I realized the wire I sent to the back was laying on the metal where the seat was.... *grounded* so when I applied power: POP! Stupid wires... so here's my tip: use electrical tape around EVERYTHING... even if you don't think it needs it.

-DS
'92 Honda Accord - AEM CAI, Tenzo Springs -- WTB: Stock 92-93 Accord Hub Caps (she's going back to stock) '00 Civic Si - Greddy EVO Exhaust, 17" OZ Superleggeras, TEIN Springs. (DC Intake for sale.. pm me)

#33933 - 01/20/04 01:44 PM Re: Need a Kill Switch
yomuppet Offline
Poster

Just did it, works great, very impressed. Mad props to civicgeek for diagramming it all out for us in a very easy to understand and folllow fashion
#33934 - 02/02/04 12:51 PM Re: Need a Kill Switch
danielsmith Offline
Jr Poster

I've gotten a couple PMs about the dual color LED setup... so I modified civicgeek's diagram for that setup... my overall setup is a little different, but the concept should still work... the resistor values are based on a 1.7 - 2.2 v LED at 30 mA (some LEDs may be different)

#33935 - 02/03/04 03:58 PM Re: Need a Kill Switch
SiGuy00 Offline
Jr Member

Quote:

Did u guys have some profetionals do it or did it yourself? I haven't had a chance to install mine yet. thinking of letting my pops do it when i go home to Boston. I wanna install my switch in a place where if i get car-jacked i can hit the switch without getting shot for sudden moves.

Did it my self in about 2hours. If i had to do it again on someone elses car it would take less time but its worth it.

#33936 - 02/05/04 12:18 AM Re: Need a Kill Switch
Ziatic Offline
Jr Poster

Loc: Toronto
Maaan I want a kill switch so bad but the magnetic method seems so hard so I was wondering, is the first method just as effective assuming the theif can't find the switch or is there some other way to bypass the first method???
btw thanks to everyone that contibuted

#33937 - 02/06/04 09:55 PM Re: Need a Kill Switch
yomuppet Offline
Poster

Magnetic method isn't hard at all, just follow the diagram. It does take a bit of time if you're not too practiced at this stuff, but is not hard at all. If I weren't too lazy to unsolder my LED I'd do the red/green LED thing too, but for now just red will have to suffice
#33938 - 02/08/04 10:12 PM Re: Need a Kill Switch
SiBuddy00 Offline
Jr Member

What gauge wiring did you guys use? Also... What size fuse did you use to fuse your circuit with? And... What 12v source did you tap? (magnetic version)

#33939 - 02/09/04 01:34 AM Re: Need a Kill Switch
SiToeKnee Offline
Major Member

Loc: Irvine, CA
i used 14 gauge wire, but i did the switch way, not the magnetic way. didn't have to use a fuse as long as the switch was high enough in amperage. the switch one was really easy. i didn't want to do the magnet one, even though it's a really good method, i didn't feel confident in my abilities to do the work. good post.

#33940 - 02/09/04 01:57 AM Re: Need a Kill Switch
HoWheels Offline
Post Master Sr

And FYI ... there are alot of proponents of fuel cut switches.
I'm a firm believer that a switch somewhere in your ignition system, IE somewhere between the key and spark plugs (lol vague) is just as effective if you do it right (albiet at the risk of flooding your engine).

It's saved my dad's '64 StingRay twice, his '84 RX-7 once, and just saved my Civic last week.

They broke in, jammed a screwdriver in the ignition switch, and cranked. Nothing. My car remained. Minus $700 worth of shit stolen of course.

It was so effective and inconspicuous on my Civic that when it went to the repair shop (long story) ... and they began repairing my car WITHOUT MY FUCKING AUTHORIZATION (lol uncontrollable rant), they replaced the ignition switch, and it SHOULD have been starting properly. I was told they actually went and bought a new ignition coil, BECAUSE THEY COULDN'T FIGURE OUT WHY MY CAR WAS STARTING.

If a repair shop can't figure out how to start it, it must be good.

Or they're just stupid.

-a

PS sorry I can't be more specific about my settup (paranoid ), but follow the rest of the advice in this thread and you'll be good. In fact, you can't be too safe. Find as many security methods as you can and use them all.

#33941 - 02/09/04 11:30 PM Re: Need a Kill Switch
yomuppet Offline
Poster

My stupid connections came unsoldered yesterday, bah. I guess I need to use more solder... I'm off to home depot tomorrow for an extension cable so I can solder in the driveway
#33942 - 02/15/04 10:44 AM Re: Need a Kill Switch
civicgeek9 Offline
Jr Member

Quote:

Just did it, works great, very impressed. Mad props to civicgeek for diagramming it all out for us in a very easy to understand and folllow fashion

I'm an electronics engineer, and I know these thngs can be difficult, even for me at times. So I was hopin I had made it simple enough for everyone.
Thanks man, I'm really glad it was easy and worked for you!!

Quote:

My stupid connections came unsoldered yesterday, bah. I guess I need to use more solder... I'm off to home depot tomorrow for an extension cable so I can solder in the driveway

No you do not need more solder, you need a CLEAN solder.
If a solder fails, it's cuz the connections you were soldering were dirty or soiled in one way or another. Try using some alcohol on the wires and terminals before you solder it. Wash and dry your hands really good, and touch the wires, etc, as little as possible before applying solder.

I just visited this thread for the first time since I posted my original schematic... I am VERY happy to see that a lot of you have been able to follow it and do one for yourselves. Congrats to all who take the steps necc to protect their investments!!

And to DanialSmith.. Nice work on the dual LED setup.. that's pretty nice as well. I might have to add that on to mine when I get back home from Mass on business.

Good job everyone! Stay safe and secure!

#33943 - 02/21/04 08:32 PM Re: Need a Kill Switch
SiBuddy00 Offline
Jr Member

HELP ME PLEASE!! I followed the instructions perfectly, TWO TIMES! and it still pulls constant power somewhere. There were no wires grounding out in the first setup and there are none in the second setup! Can anyone help me with this? Are there any small specs. in the equipement that I had to look out for? Did I make a wrong purchase for parts? I just dont get why it constantly pulls power, even when not activated.The only thing I've thought about is that the wire going from the fuel power line to the relay or whatever is pretty long, could that have any posibilty of being it? Any suggestions, please!

#33944 - 02/22/04 08:26 PM Re: Need a Kill Switch
yomuppet Offline
Poster

Well, this setup has just saved my car from being stolen. It's truly a sad day, and I dread dealing with the insurance company and repairs and all that, but it would be much worse to have the Si RIP. Pictures of the failed theft can be found at http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/justy119/album?.dir=/b001&.src=ph&store=&prodid=&.done=http%3a//photos.yahoo.com/justy119
#33945 - 02/23/04 08:40 AM Re: Need a Kill Switch
jjtackleberry Offline
Jr Member

I just did mine this weekend and talk about a simple insurance.

Hid the switch, and tested it......works like a charm...

I tapped in the wire closer the the front of the vehicle it was alot easier than pulling the seats out..........

This is truely one of the best post EVER

Thanks

#33946 - 02/23/04 11:42 AM Re: Need a Kill Switch
DXorsist77 Offline
Jr Member

Quote:

I tapped in the wire closer the the front of the vehicle it was alot easier than pulling the seats out..........

Thanks

I'm glad i started a thread that people really appreciate. The sad thing is , i'm the guy that asked for the help and i still haven't done the damn trick to my car. Thanx to everyone who has contributed to this post. If there's anyone who can help me out in Columbia,SC drop me a message.

Mike

Edited by DXorsist77 (02/23/04 11:44 AM)

#33947 - 02/23/04 11:42 AM Re: Need a Kill Switch
SiR Driver Offline
Post Master

Quote:

Well, this setup has just saved my car from being stolen. It's truly a sad day, and I dread dealing with the insurance company and repairs and all that, but it would be much worse to have the Si RIP. Pictures of the failed theft can be found at http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/justy119/album?.dir=/b001&.src=ph&store=&prodid=&.done=http%3a//photos.yahoo.com/justy119

That sucks dude but nice that the switch at least saved your ride. Losing the car altogether would have been a much bigger pain. Are those EX seats in your Si or do you drive an EX?

#33948 - 02/23/04 01:12 PM Re: Need a Kill Switch
yomuppet Offline
Poster

Quote:

That sucks dude but nice that the switch at least saved your ride. Losing the car altogether would have been a much bigger pain. Are those EX seats in your Si or do you drive an EX?

Del sol seats.

#33949 - 02/23/04 02:52 PM Re: Need a Kill Switch
SiR Driver Offline
Post Master

Ah yes, my bad. Any estimate on damages yet? $$$

#33950 - 02/23/04 04:19 PM Re: Need a Kill Switch
yomuppet Offline
Poster

Nope, not yet. Insurance company = slow as molasses
#33951 - 02/24/04 08:21 AM Re: Need a Kill Switch
jjtackleberry Offline
Jr Member

Quote:

Quote:

Thanks

I'm glad i started a thread that people really appreciate. The sad thing is , i'm the guy that asked for the help and i still haven't done the damn trick to my car. Thanx to everyone who has contributed to this post. If there's anyone who can help me out in Columbia,SC drop me a message.

Mike

What do you need help with???????
I'll help if I can......

#33952 - 02/24/04 05:45 PM Re: Need a Kill Switch
DXorsist77 Offline
Jr Member

Damn i used to live in KS.(Ft. Riley) Well I'm "electronicly challenged". I could work on a car but when it comes to electronics I let the pros handle it. Maybe if u can come up with some really, really,really simple plans I might be able to do it. Tell me what i need and what needs to where first, second and so on. I would really appreciate it.

#33953 - 02/24/04 08:48 PM Re: Need a Kill Switch
yomuppet Offline
Poster

Quote:

Damn i used to live in KS.(Ft. Riley) Well I'm "electronicly challenged". I could work on a car but when it comes to electronics I let the pros handle it. Maybe if u can come up with some really, really,really simple plans I might be able to do it. Tell me what i need and what needs to where first, second and so on. I would really appreciate it.

These plans are about as simple as you can get. And they detail exactly what's needed, and how to do it. *shrug*

#33954 - 02/24/04 08:51 PM Re: Need a Kill Switch
DXorsist77 Offline
Jr Member

I'll sit down study them and give em a try with some supervision ofcourse.

#33955 - 02/25/04 11:15 AM Re: Need a Kill Switch
jjtackleberry Offline
Jr Member

you have PM

#33956 - 02/26/04 02:15 AM Re: Need a Kill Switch
SiBuddy00 Offline
Jr Member

When you guys installed yours, did it kill your battery? None of the wires are shorted on mine, but the reed is pulling a constant... .1xx volts. Over a short period the battery dies. Is this happening to anyone else? Could it be a dead piece of equipement? I replaced the reed but it still does it.

#33957 - 02/26/04 03:23 AM Re: Need a Kill Switch
yomuppet Offline
Poster

The only current it should be pulling is to power the LED. My battery hasn't died so far b/c of it.
#33958 - 02/26/04 06:35 PM Re: Need a Kill Switch
SiBuddy00 Offline
Jr Member

I'd really like to keep this setup while fixing the problem! Do you think it could be the reed iself? I bought one from radio shack. Why the hell wouldn't it work I wonder, why is it pulling constant power! this is pissing me off, I'm happy to hear it works perfect but shit man, why won't it do that for me? Damn reed keeps pulling power. Does current go through culking or something?!

#33959 - 02/26/04 09:14 PM Re: Need a Kill Switch
yomuppet Offline
Poster

Maybe you wired it up wrong? Did you have all components facing pins down when looking at the diagram? Mmm... other than that I don't know enough about it. You might try PMing civicgeek if he has time, he seems to know a lot about it. Good luck.
#33960 - 02/28/04 05:20 AM Re: Need a Kill Switch
SiBuddy00 Offline
Jr Member

If the reed switch 12v supply (coil in) and coil out is switched (diagram is congruent) could that matter? The reed is normally open type.

#33961 - 02/29/04 12:46 AM Re: Need a Kill Switch
yomuppet Offline
Poster

I dunno (I don't think so) but if you did it wrong, just tear it up and do it right... then you'll know for sure
#33962 - 02/29/04 04:04 AM Re: Need a Kill Switch *DELETED*
altangerel Offline
Poster

Post deleted by altangerel

#33963 - 02/29/04 01:02 PM Re: Need a Kill Switch
SiBuddy00 Offline
Jr Member

It works for me, I don't have any problems there. It just pulls constant power and over a period of a couple days kills my battery. Theres a small pull somewhere in the system, none of the wires are grounded. I checked and there was like, .13 volts running to the reed at all times. I can't figure out why its constantly pulling power.

#33964 - 02/29/04 02:52 PM Re: Need a Kill Switch
altangerel Offline
Poster

Quote:

It works for me, I don't have any problems there. It just pulls constant power and over a period of a couple days kills my battery. Theres a small pull somewhere in the system, none of the wires are grounded. I checked and there was like, .13 volts running to the reed at all times. I can't figure out why its constantly pulling power.

are you sure you want to do the kill switch with the magnet?
i would prefer the other simple one. just hide your switch in a good place.

#33965 - 02/29/04 06:01 PM Re: Need a Kill Switch
altangerel Offline
Poster

Quote:

It works for me, I don't have any problems there. It just pulls constant power and over a period of a couple days kills my battery. Theres a small pull somewhere in the system, none of the wires are grounded . I checked and there was like, .13 volts running to the reed at all times. I can't figure out why its constantly pulling power.

i think you need to ground your wires. especially the reed

#33966 - 03/01/04 01:55 AM Re: Need a Kill Switch
SiBuddy00 Offline
Jr Member

wups my bad! i mean their grounded but their not grounding out. Like shorted. Sorry for the confusion

#33967 - 03/02/04 12:58 AM Re: Need a Kill Switch
yomuppet Offline
Poster

Are you leaving your car alone for a few days or something? Ask civicgeek, he'll probably know.
#33968 - 03/03/04 08:48 AM Re: Need a Kill Switch
civicgeek9 Offline
Jr Member

You have PM.

BTW.. for everyone.. I am not sure what his problem is. My reed has a constant 12V input, as well as the coil unit, like in the schematic.
I have left my car for about about 2 months before and it never drained my battery.
The LED is the only thing drawing CURRENT from your battery that will drain it. As for 0.13 V draw.. That is pretty much 0. That is most likely the draw from the meter itself, not just the wiring. But it would prolly take like 6 months if just sitting and never recharging. Which could be your problem, you have a weak battery? How old is it?

Not sure what else to tell you. I have never had a problem with mine. :shrug:

#33969 - 03/03/04 06:45 PM Re: Need a Kill Switch
yomuppet Offline
Poster

Me neither. Car is almost fixed back to how it was, with minor stereo and alarm upgrades, rather than having all my goodies stolen and getting paid for a stock car, thanks to the switch. It's not much consolation, but it's something.
#33970 - 03/03/04 07:26 PM Re: Need a Kill Switch
DXorsist77 Offline
Jr Member

Quote:

Me neither. Car is almost fixed back to how it was, with minor stereo and alarm upgrades, rather than having all my goodies stolen and getting paid for a stock car, thanks to the switch. It's not much consolation, but it's something.

If the post I started helped at least one person out there(sobs), it was worth it.

For real tho, i'm glad it help u out yomuppet.

#33971 - 03/12/04 10:02 AM Re: Need a Kill Switch
ORcivicsi Offline

Good post
#33972 - 03/13/04 11:58 AM Re: Need a Kill Switch
civic98vtec Offline
Poster

Loc: Southwest FL
why don't you just buy an alarm. There is an alarm that when ARMed you cannot start the car, and if someone tries to hot wire your car or use a different honda key (this has happened to me) while ARMed it will kill the starter and you would have to reset your computer by unplugging your battery to reset computer.

So it makes it to where you have to disarm the alarm in order to start your car. It is really cool and it works, my buddy has it on his prelude.

#33973 - 03/13/04 09:41 PM Re: Need a Kill Switch
DXorsist77 Offline
Jr Member

name and price?

#33974 - 03/15/04 12:30 AM Re: Need a Kill Switch
yomuppet Offline
Poster

Quote:

why don't you just buy an alarm. There is an alarm that when ARMed you cannot start the car, and if someone tries to hot wire your car or use a different honda key (this has happened to me) while ARMed it will kill the starter and you would have to reset your computer by unplugging your battery to reset computer.

So it makes it to where you have to disarm the alarm in order to start your car. It is really cool and it works, my buddy has it on his prelude.

Though this may or may not help, any additional security measures can only help further.

#33975 - 04/25/04 12:37 AM Re: Need a Kill Switch
danielsmith Offline
Jr Poster

False Alarm for me.

I thought my newly installed (within the past month) magnetic kill switch was draining my battery as well. It was actually the battery's fault it was dead.......

DS

#33976 - 04/25/04 10:49 PM Re: Need a Kill Switch
DXorsist77 Offline
Jr Member

Quote:

False Alarm for me.

I thought my newly installed (within the past month) magnetic kill switch was draining my battery as well. It was actually the battery's fault it was dead.......

DS

#33977 - 04/28/04 06:39 PM Re: Need a Kill Switch
yomuppet Offline
Poster

Say I want to have another break in the fuel pump circuit in another location for multiple levels of security, what would be the best way to do this? Do I need another setup complete with switches, can I just add another 2 relay (dpdt + auto) setup to the circuit, or can I get away with adding just 1 auto relay? Thanks in advance
#33978 - 05/03/04 12:31 PM Re: Need a Kill Switch
sxng9 Offline

i did this one this morning and tested it. the only problem in the chattering sound and it's not very reliable. would buying a different brand, other than radio shack work?

#33979 - 05/03/04 06:33 PM Re: Need a Kill Switch
yomuppet Offline
Poster

What do you mean it's not reliable? My reed is very reliable. Did you mean your relay? Something else? Please explain.
#33980 - 05/03/04 11:28 PM Re: Need a Kill Switch
sxng9 Offline

Quote:

What do you mean it's not reliable? My reed is very reliable. Did you mean your relay? Something else? Please explain.

sorry about my post earlier. i didn't have time to elaborate because i had to head off to work, but anyway...

before i start explaining, i'd like to say that it has not been installed in the car yet, because i wanted to test it out. i hooked everything up and soldered the wires where needed and tested the circuit in my room. everything looks good and works okay and i bought all the parts from RadioShack.

when power is first supplied to the circuit, the LED goes on. well when i slide the magnet over the reed, the LED light goes off when the magnet is closeby (which it is supposed to), then as i move the magnet away, the LED light comes back on (not the way it suppose to be. the LED light should remain off, as the only way it suppose to come back on, is if i push the push button).

everytime the LED light goes on or off, you can hear the 10A plug-in relay clicking inside. this let you know that it is working, and you can visually see the metal connector inside the relay moving, so i know that the 10A relay is working.

one solution i found to work, is if i don't slide the magnet over the entire reed, but to just point and pull away at only one end of the reed with the magnet. by that i meant putting a magnet close to one end of the reed (the black part of the reed, with the 3 metal connectors coming out of them) in just that one area.

if i slide the magnet near the other end of the reed (the black part of the reed, with just one metal connector; that's the one that needs to be grouned), then the 10A relay will just keep clicking for as long as the magnet is over it.

another weird thing is that if the LED light is already off and sliding a magnet over that particular end of the reed (the one with just one metal connector, like i said before), then it will turn the LED light back on, so in essence, the reed can do both work, and that would defeat the purpose of having a push button to re-arm or disconnect the fuel pump wire. that's what i meant by reliability. you don't want to accidentally disconnect the fuel pump wire when you're trying to re-connect it.

---

besides this, i was wondering if there is a way to wrig up something similar to this wirelessly. i was thinking of using IR or radio. i like the idea of installing a kill switch, without running a set of wires from the back of the car to the front, thus making it even harder for thieves to trace the wires.

#33981 - 05/03/04 11:49 PM Re: Need a Kill Switch
yomuppet Offline
Poster

I ran my wires all over the friggin' place, so hopefully they won't take the time to figure out how the circuit works. When my car was an attempted theft, they didn't. Fuckers. Anyway, I believe that's how the switch works (correct me if I'm wrong), one polarity of the magnet will turn it on, the other off. Either that, or you have a grounding problem (if your switch will not stay set). I followed the diagrams exactly and mine works perfectly. Maybe someone more electronic-oriented can help you out, best of luck.
#33982 - 05/03/04 11:57 PM Re: Need a Kill Switch
danielsmith Offline
Jr Poster

if it's set up properly... there shouldn't be a chatter sound. you've probably crossed some wires some where along the line. if you hookup the NC side of the relay up to the power, it can engage/disengage really fast... causing that sound.

DS

#33983 - 05/04/04 10:18 PM Re: Need a Kill Switch
sxng9 Offline

i know you guys are probably tired of me asking this question, but i went back to radioshack and re-bought all of the parts and redone this kill switch cleanly. i know that i didn't cross any wires at all in the installation. when i hover the magnet over the reed, the LED lights goes off and when i pull the magnet away from the reed, the LED comes back on. WTF??

i checked all of the wires and i don't see a problem at all. i've even tested the Automotive relay (connectors: 30 & 87) on a simple 12V light bulb, and it works when the LED is off. all wires have been soldered. i've redrew the same schematic, according to how i hooked everything up here:

now here are some pictures of the individual parts i put together using my webcam:

the reed (front / top):

the reed (back):

the momentary pushbutton:

some pictures of the Automotive relay with the DPDT relay:

okay. i narrowed down the probem to the reed. i switched my new reed, back to the old one and it still has problems.

***edit
i'm using a normally open reed and i think that the metal connectors inside the reed does not stay closed when a magnet passes over it.

Edited by sxng9 (05/06/04 12:25 AM)

#33984 - 05/05/04 05:01 PM Re: Need a Kill Switch
esseye Offline

Loc: The city that never sleeps
Hey sxng9, you said that the reed you are using is normally closed, but I believe the schematics calls for a reed that is normally open. I don't know if this is the problem or if there are even two types of reeds since I am currently studying this thread to build mine. HTH

#33985 - 05/06/04 01:23 AM Re: Need a Kill Switch
sxng9 Offline

whoops. i meant normally open. it was really late when i typed it up, but anyhow, i'm gonna give this one more try, then call it quits and go with a regular kill switch. i've wasted too much money and time on this project, but it was fun. i burned myself a few times with the solder and cut myself a few times with razor blades.

yes, razor blades. i was working on a different car security project prior to this one and it involves lethal, but not deadly razors. lol, i guess i'm paranoid, because i live in the ghetto (that's what my friends call the area where i live). anyhow. i've attached double sided razor blades (the ones that you can buy at your local Walmart store) to the underside of the doorhandles, so that the theif, or would be theif, would cut himself. yea, i got two deep razor cuts on my fingers from forgetting that i have razor blades underneath the doorhandles - lol.

i've also started to mod the air vents to shoot out razors when the ignition is on, but didn't quite get it to work perfectly, mainly due to the part that i've already cut myself twice, and because i might accidently hurt someone i care about. in the first case, i used rubber bands to propel the blades; not reliable, and doesn't shoot straight. the second case involves modifying my paintball gun to use airtight hoses to shoot out the blades; too fast & deadly, plus it will ruin the seats.

#33986 - 05/06/04 10:01 AM Re: Need a Kill Switch
esseye Offline

Well, I want to get this kill switch installed within the next 2 weeks and before I go out to buy this stuff, I wanted to know if anyone can pm me the "step-by-step" to this. I think I know what to do but wanna make sure. Also I'm in nyc and would like to know where can I pick this stuff up (besides radioshack). Thanks guys/gals.

#33987 - 05/06/04 11:59 AM Re: Need a Kill Switch
yomuppet Offline
Poster

Quote:

Well, I want to get this kill switch installed within the next 2 weeks and before I go out to buy this stuff, I wanted to know if anyone can pm me the "step-by-step" to this. I think I know what to do but wanna make sure. Also I'm in nyc and would like to know where can I pick this stuff up (besides radioshack). Thanks guys/gals.

It's all in THIS thread. Want me to PM you with the url to this thread? Sigh.

#33988 - 05/06/04 12:07 PM Re: Need a Kill Switch
yomuppet Offline
Poster

sxng9, your setup looks WAY more professional than mine, you must just be having a simple problem in the way it is wired. My setup used much more electrical tape, and much less heat shrink tubing, loom, circuit board, and any of that other cool looking stuff you used. I can tell you from personal experience that this setup is worth it, and if you spent anything less than a hundred bucks or so then I wouldn't worry. Mine has cost me about 20-40, and that's after having to redo it due to a theft attempt. The first time I set it up it was around 20. Have you tried turning the magnet around the other way and putting it close to the reed? Have you made sure whatever you're using as a ground source is actually grounded?
#33989 - 05/06/04 01:29 PM Re: Need a Kill Switch
esseye Offline

Quote:

Quote:

It's all in THIS thread. Want me to PM you with the url to this thread? Sigh.

Well, I wasn't sure of the proper guage of wires to use (someone above mentioned 14 but wanted to make sure) and which way the dual color led is hooked up (so that it lights green when the reed is closed and not red when the reed is closed). Also, just wanted to know where I can get better quality parts besides from radioshack. Well, if it was too much to ask, then it 's alright, I'll manage.

Edited by esseye (05/06/04 01:44 PM)

#33990 - 05/06/04 01:40 PM Re: Need a Kill Switch
danielsmith Offline
Jr Poster

esseye: Better parts than radio shack... I do most of my shopping @ http://www.partsexpress.com and that's where I got most of the parts for this project. (and many other projects) In addition to parts express I usually shop at a place called Gateway Electronics here in San Diego (no relation to Gateway computers)

As for the problem with the cool new schematic. It makes sense that it's not working, I'm just trying to figure out how to explain it without confusing everyone. I only used 2 wires from the reed switch and I didn't really follow that previous schematic at all But give me a few minutes and I'll see if I can figure out your problem (or offer a solution)

#33991 - 05/06/04 07:44 PM Re: Need a Kill Switch
sxng9 Offline

Quote:

sxng9, your setup looks WAY more professional than mine, you must just be having a simple problem in the way it is wired. My setup used much more electrical tape, and much less heat shrink tubing, loom, circuit board, and any of that other cool looking stuff you used. I can tell you from personal experience that this setup is worth it, and if you spent anything less than a hundred bucks or so then I wouldn't worry. Mine has cost me about 20-40, and that's after having to redo it due to a theft attempt. The first time I set it up it was around 20. Have you tried turning the magnet around the other way and putting it close to the reed? Have you made sure whatever you're using as a ground source is actually grounded?

yea, haha. i guess i am sorted impressed about this kill switch project. i spent a lot of time on this. i'm pretty good with electronic things, so i know that's it's not anything electrical. like i said in my previous post, the main problem is the reed.

there are 2 factors that contribute to the problems with the reed i bought at Radio Shack:
1) the polarity of the magnetic side on which you use to slide over the reed.
2) the glass tube inside of the blue casing, needs to be adjusted.

i'm trying to push myself to get this finished before i go on vacation in July, but if i don't, hell with it. oh, also, one of the funniest thing i did the past 2 days was i went to every single radio shack store where i lived and bought every single reed they had, due to breaking so many reeds.

Quote:

Well, I wasn't sure of the proper guage of wires to use (someone above mentioned 14 but wanted to make sure) and which way the dual color led is hooked up (so that it lights green when the reed is closed and not red when the reed is closed). Also, just wanted to know where I can get better quality parts besides from radioshack. Well, if it was too much to ask, then it 's alright, I'll manage.

as for the proper wire guage, 14 is good enough. for my project, i used 14 and i think i used 16 for the circuit board & around where im running wires that are less than 5 inches long.

the thing is, don't make it sound more complicated than it really is, and always be sure to test it out on a bench to make sure it works the way you want it, before you rip the car interior apart and drilling holes.

#33992 - 05/06/04 11:06 PM Re: Need a Kill Switch
yomuppet Offline
Poster

I used 14 for all wires that will be carrying current on a regular basis, and 22 to hook up the switches.
#33993 - 05/06/04 11:52 PM Re: Need a Kill Switch
sxng9 Offline

i have just one final question on this topic:

which wire do you guys tap into to get the 12V constant power at (even when the engine is off)? i prefer to tap, or splice into a wire from inside the car, rather than directly from the battery in the engine bay. thanks.

#33994 - 05/07/04 05:41 PM Re: Need a Kill Switch
yomuppet Offline
Poster

I just found one that was thick and red and used a multimeter to confirm it was hot. I got lucky and hit one the first time.
#33995 - 05/07/04 07:34 PM Re: Need a Kill Switch
danielsmith Offline
Jr Poster

I took it off the big fat white wire running up to the ignition because it was part of the ignition I actually soldered it and wrapped it, loomed it, etc, etc. Just wanted it to be really nice.... if you go this route, be careful soldering up there as there are a lot of important wires there

#33996 - 05/09/04 12:58 AM Re: Need a Kill Switch
danielsmith Offline
Jr Poster

This is my revision. I'm assuming that 1 & 2 on the DPDT relay is NC and 3 & 4 are NO. The idea is that when the relay is engaged +12 is put back into the coil

Daniel

#33997 - 05/22/04 12:10 AM Re: Need a Kill Switch
sxng9 Offline

i still don't know where you bought the reed relay, and i had a hard time finding one that works, so i decided to wrig up a remote wireless fuel pump kill switch. i found somebody who was good with building wireless stuff, so i had him build me a simple control unit, and a simple remote.

the remote has a good range (maybe half a mile??) - j/k; i tested the control unit from the basement and tested the remote from as far as the very back end of the fence in my backyard. it might even have a farther range, but i have yet to test it. if i'm ever at gun-point when in the car (or out of the car), i can push the button on the remote, and no, i don't keep the remote chained along with my other keys. i keep the remote elsewhere on me, so i can cut-off the fuel, even when the theif is far away from me.

besides the remote-controlled kill switch, there is also a simple manual switch hidden in the car. i bled my hands to death trying to hide everything, so i hope that what i have done so far today was worth it.

as far as the schematic, it's basically the same as the reed relay kill switch, but just think of the DPDT Plugin Relay as the actual control unit. i'm still using an automotive relay, but i took out the flashing LED, the reed relay, and the pushbutton.

...well the pushbutton is still on my car, but it's not hook up to anything, and serves no function, other than to fool the theif. i already drilled a hole in my car prior to building the remote kill switch. i might as well leave the switch there to fill in that empty hole, and to fool the theif, that the switch actually does something, until when he rips the dashboard apart.

#33998 - 05/25/04 12:18 AM Re: Need a Kill Switch
Solscud007 Offline
Poster

Loc: Irvine, Ca
Just installed my first fuel pump kill switch today. And I jsut discovered this thread. My friend did his and told me what to do. I wired it next to the kicker panel. It is a yellow and green wire you splice into. I might do another one by the rear seats.

#33999 - 06/06/04 10:38 AM Re: Need a Kill Switch
00CIVIC_-_ Offline
Jr Member

Loc: New York
Hey guys, I bought all those parts that you need for the magnetic kill switch, but I have no clue how to wire this up, this is a pic of what iv got:
Pic
Thanks for your help!
The DPDT relay looks the sameas the pic above, but the regular 12V relay is different, on my 12V auto relay it sais 30,85,86,87a,87, and from my pic is the magnetic switch good enough???

Edited by 00CIVIC_-_ (06/06/04 10:46 AM)

#34000 - 06/24/04 05:14 PM Re: Need a Kill Switch
DXorsist77 Offline
Jr Member

Wasup fellas! i haven't been on thios thread for a while. Needed to look it up today cause my neighbor(5 doors down) in my townhouse complex just got her car stolen. WTF!! i thought this place was cool but evidently it isn't. Gonna see about finaly installing a good alarm along with the kill switch. I'll let u know how it went. Later.

#34001 - 07/07/04 09:01 AM Re: Need a Kill Switch
jjtackleberry Offline
Jr Member

.....as of this last weekend....

I installed three more of these in three different cars.......

I wonder how many people have done this...

#34002 - 08/11/04 11:57 AM Re: Need a Kill Switch
FCobra94 Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: MD
I'll probably be installing a kill switch soon too, although I think I'm going to tap mine from the clutch switch which only lets you start the car if the clutch is fully depressed. Then, the car won't even be able to crank over or anything

Does anyone see any downsides to this? I mean, I'll probably wire loom all the surrounding wires so that nothing looks out of place under the dash. Then I will have to find a good hiding spot for the switch, but other than that, I think it should work better than just tapping the fuel pump power wire...

#34003 - 08/15/04 04:50 PM Re: Need a Kill Switch
DXorsist77 Offline
Jr Member

u have PM.

#34004 - 09/27/04 09:04 AM Re: Need a Kill Switch
CivicDnB Offline
Jr Member

Loc: Fairfax, VA
how many amps is the fuel pump pulling? What are the minimum requirements for a switch (not the relay solution)? Using a Relay, what are the requirements?

#34005 - 09/30/04 02:45 PM Re: Need a Kill Switch
ddiejr Offline

I just did it and it works great .
Thanks!!!!!

#34006 - 10/07/04 09:53 PM Re: Need a Kill Switch
SiLeo20 Offline
Poster

Loc: Kissimmee Florida
I dont know if anyone has seen this bfore i know i havent but once i saw a magazine with a 90-93 integra hooked up and to the gear shifter he had some special square lock so if anyone tried to steal his car they couldnt put it in gear.... anyone else sen this?
#34007 - 10/22/04 10:56 AM Re: Need a Kill Switch
vontez Offline

Just buy an automotive switch from radio shack. A switch rated at 30A will do just fine.
#34008 - 11/23/04 05:31 PM Re: Need a Kill Switch
smokinSI Offline
Jr Member

Loc: OH
What's the first peice I should replace if I'm getting a battery drain????
#34009 - 01/23/05 03:33 AM Re: Need a Kill Switch
cncivicsi Offline

Loc: Texas
Could someone please repost or email me the schematics for the magnetic kill switch. None of the links/pictures appear to be working anymore.

Thanks!

#34010 - 01/24/05 01:41 AM Re: Need a Kill Switch
Da_One_Si Offline

wasup just wonderin how u guyz connected the gauge wires to the fuel pump wires...did u solder it wit a soldering tool or did u use crimp-on butt connectors n shrink wrap tubings? i dun wanna be spendin money on the soldering shietz if the other one or 2 workz just as fine
#34011 - 02/09/05 03:26 PM Re: Need a Kill Switch
volcom454 Offline

Loc: so cal
just pull the main relay out. its under the dash by the steering wheel shaft. its a 1" X 1" X 2" box with a plug and about 8 or 10 wires running to it.., and its the relay for the starter, fuel injection, and pretty much everything else your car needs to run. i cut the clip for the plug off on mine, and it only takes about 2 secs to pull out.
#34012 - 02/10/05 05:07 AM Re: Need a Kill Switch
Neo Noodle Offline
Sr Member

Quote:

Could someone please repost or email me the schematics for the magnetic kill switch. None of the links/pictures appear to be working anymore.

Thanks!

"You are what you eat."

#34013 - 03/02/05 04:35 PM Re: Need a Kill Switch
DXorsist77 Offline
Jr Member

Hey guys if u haven't heard the civic was stolen. LOL i knew i should've put that kill switch in!! Anywho my new car is a 95 BMW M3. (fast) I was wondering do any of u tech guys think this will work on a Bimmer?

#34014 - 03/03/05 12:08 AM Re: Need a Kill Switch
CHARGEDcivicSi Offline
Poster

Loc: california
dang, that sucks... the guy who started the thread.... btw, what security did you have on your car when it was stolen? shoulda installed the kill switch man. took me only an hour and $4, including the trip to home depot....

#34015 - 06/12/05 08:55 PM Re: Need a Kill Switch
petemac Offline

Loc: middletown ny
i just instaled a inline kill switch to the fuel pump today(5 dollers and a hour and 30 mins) now i want to do one to the starter. How do I do it?
#34016 - 07/16/05 01:45 AM Re: Need a Kill Switch
KneeGrow Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: San Francisco, CA
Quote:

Hey guys if u haven't heard the civic was stolen. LOL i knew i should've put that kill switch in!! Anywho my new car is a 95 BMW M3. (fast) I was wondering do any of u tech guys think this will work on a Bimmer?

Damn, how come you didn't install the switch?

#34017 - 08/02/05 06:40 PM Re: Need a Kill Switch
strsi Offline
Post Master Jr

nice thread guys.

I just did one today.
1. Just cut the yellow/green wire in half. (I wont say where i did mine)
2. Bought some male/female quick disconnects from radio shack
3. Bought a 25amp 12VDC SPST rocker switch from radio shack Rocker
4. Bought some 14 gauge wire from autozone
5. Put a female (or male) quick disconnect on each side of the cut yellow/green wire
6. Put a male (or female) quick disconncet on each of the 2 lines of 14 gauge wire.
7. Plug the 2 lines of the 14 gauge wire to the 2 lines of the yellow/green wire useing the quick disconnects u just put on.
8. Run the 14 gauge wires where u'd like.
9. Put female quick disconncets on the end of the 14 gauge wires
10. Plug the female disconnects to the 2 male ends of the rocker switch.

Done! Just make sure to crimp everything well & use electrical tape. My way is not complex, but it does the job. I have almost no electrical knowledge at all, but I was able to figure it out, so anyone should be able to do it.

The hardest part of this is taking off the interior panneling.

1994 EG Hatch

2000 BMW 328ci

207 Forever- RIP

#34018 - 08/13/05 01:05 PM Re: Need a Kill Switch
Ohjolt2 Offline
Jr Poster

Dont use LEDs, if i was trying to steal your car i would just fallow the led wires to your switch rip the wires off it and twist them together. Thiefs arent stupid these days the magnet switch isnt really going to help because you can just rip the wires out and twist them. Real car thiefs are not going to be stoped by a magnet switch. The key to this is hiding the switch and the NONSTOCK wires going to it. Taking the main relay with you is pretty good, you can also take the ecu with you if you have a gutted car. Removeable steering wheels. If it takes you less than a whole day to wire your alarm and kill system up then your not hiding this stuff enought. All hondas have the wires in the same places, its not that hard to trace. Another excelent option is a hood locking system so that they cant get to the battery and horn. also hidden gel cell batteries and hidden horns are good to. But the sound that the horn makes gives away its location to makes it damn hard to get to. Any car is stealable you can probably come up with a system that would prevent is from being driven away, but it can still be stolen. I heard a story about one of the first porsche 911's of a certain model, the car was behind a 12 foot tall wall in a compund with a locked gate. car had a full system and everything. they used a crane and lifted the car over the wall and droped in on a flat bed truck.

#34019 - 08/15/05 01:35 AM Re: Need a Kill Switch
strsi Offline
Post Master Jr

Im not sure if ur replying to me or not. But could u elaborate on not using led's. i though those were those little red lights. but u said a theif could follow the led wires so Im not sure what that means.
but anyways i didn't use an led switch so i'm not even sure if u were replying to me or someone else.

1994 EG Hatch

2000 BMW 328ci

207 Forever- RIP

#34020 - 09/09/05 03:35 PM Re: Need a Kill Switch
jdemoney23 Offline
Jr Poster

Loc: burbank, ca
damn this is a good thread for thieves. not that im a thief or something but yah. lol dont u think?
#34021 - 09/18/05 04:10 PM Re: Need a Kill Switch
99 Si Jeff Offline

Loc: California, United States, Mis...
Quote:

nice thread guys.

I just did one today.
5. Put a female (or male) quick disconnect on each side of the cut yellow/green wire
6. Put a male (or female) quick disconncet on each of the 2 lines of 14 gauge wire.
7. Plug the 2 lines of the 14 gauge wire to the 2 lines of the yellow/green wire useing the quick disconnects u just put on.

Done! Just make sure to crimp everything well & use electrical tape. My way is not complex, but it does the job. I have almost no electrical knowledge at all, but I was able to figure it out, so anyone should be able to do it.

used this today took about 2 hours but only because i had to wait for radioshack to open hahah thanks a lot for the help

#34022 - 01/27/06 04:20 PM Re: Need a Kill Switch
00cleanSI Offline

Loc: GA
STOP POSTING THIS EVERY WHERE!!!! THIEVES CAN GET ONTO THESE THINGS AND SCREW US OVER GUYS. HAD AN EBP 00 CIVIC SI. ON APRIL FOOLS DAY I CAME OUT OF WORK FROM THE MALL AND CAR WAS GONE. GOT IT BACK A DAY LATER AND IT WAS A SHELL. WE NEED TO KEEP HOW TO DO A KILL SWITCH SECRET. PM EACH OTHER, JUST AN IDEA THAT I DONT MIND TLKAIGN ABOUT. I PUT MY SWITCH IN THE TRUNK AND LOCKED THE TRUNK POPER SO THEY CANT GET OT MINE WITHOUT A KEY
#34023 - 01/27/06 09:21 PM Re: Need a Kill Switch
HCivic02 Offline
Post Master Supreme

you are an idiot if you dont think theives dont know about kill switches

#34024 - 01/29/06 01:32 PM Re: Need a Kill Switch
Neo Noodle Offline
Sr Member

Quote:

STOP POSTING THIS EVERY WHERE!!!! THIEVES CAN GET ONTO THESE THINGS AND SCREW US OVER GUYS. HAD AN EBP 00 CIVIC SI. ON APRIL FOOLS DAY I CAME OUT OF WORK FROM THE MALL AND CAR WAS GONE. GOT IT BACK A DAY LATER AND IT WAS A SHELL. WE NEED TO KEEP HOW TO DO A KILL SWITCH SECRET. PM EACH OTHER, JUST AN IDEA THAT I DONT MIND TLKAIGN ABOUT. I PUT MY SWITCH IN THE TRUNK AND LOCKED THE TRUNK POPER SO THEY CANT GET OT MINE WITHOUT A KEY

You don't need a key to pop the trunk or fold down the back seats, even if it is "locked"... apparently you didn't know this, but theives do. Theives know A LOT more about your car than you do.. The more we teach the owner about their car, the better they can protect themselves from the theives. I assume most theives don't get their info from the internet, their info comes from just knowing the vehicles they're working with.. Most of the "security" features of a civic is just a peice of plastic in the way or a wire to short..I didn't learn this from the internet..I learned it just from working on my car.

Anyways, I am truely sorry to hear about you loss.. On april fools day too, thats fucked up.. you must have thought it was a bad prank untill you saw what was left of it..
"You are what you eat."

#34025 - 02/07/06 07:20 PM Re: Need a Kill Switch
tuner10 Offline
Jr Poster

Loc: Washington
lol hey I live in washington.. own my own civic.. was wondering of a really good place to put it... if you could plz pm me

#34026 - 03/22/06 05:22 AM Re: Need a Kill Switch
dansred2000si Offline
Post Master Jr

Loc: El Paso, Texas
Well I installed my kill switch today and i feel pretty good about it. I was a little bit more comfortable at work today!!! I do not feel right telling anyone where I put it but all I can say is, be creative and really think about where you put it. I instaled mine thinking of the same thing like 50 times, "No I bet the thief will check here from experience" before I actually found the right place!!!!

Good Luck peps!!!

-Danny
B18A1|CP's81.5mm|Eagle|ACL|Moroso|Cometic hg|Hasport|ARP|B16A head|
GSR cams|BDL cam gears|Supertech valvetrain|Vic X|RLD Ramhorn mani|3"DP|
Tial44mm WG|GT3076R .82a/r|Apexi IC|HKS SSQ BOV|HONDATA S300|ACT 6puck|

#34027 - 05/15/06 02:47 PM Re: Need a Kill Switch
jonhenry15 Offline

Loc: CT
i just did it in about an hour. i was curious though, if my connections are perfect, will the fuel flow be effected. or does it just need connectivity for power.
#34028 - 07/17/06 12:59 AM Re: Need a Kill Switch
JayDee Offline

Loc: PA
Quote:

Well I installed my kill switch today and i feel pretty good about it. I was a little bit more comfortable at work today!!! I do not feel right telling anyone where I put it but all I can say is, be creative and really think about where you put it. I instaled mine thinking of the same thing like 50 times, "No I bet the thief will check here from experience" before I actually found the right place!!!!

Good Luck peps!!!

Wait which technique did you use? The switch one or the magnet one?

-Danny

#34029 - 07/17/06 04:44 AM Re: Need a Kill Switch
2000SIRCOUPEPD Offline

Loc: dirty jerz
you can wire a killswitch to ur fuel pump,starter,coil,battery cutoff, you can unplug your ecu every night take youre ecu fuse out . . . take out your main power relay .. lots of things not mentioning clutch and brake locks . .

#992585 - 02/01/07 09:00 PM Re: Need a Kill Switch [Re: 2000SIRCOUPEPD]
SoCalEM1 Offline
Jr Poster

Loc: Fl,
wow sorry to hear about your guy's loss. im so glad i live on base and ther is on like 2 or 3 Si's besides the one that matters. i still want to do this mod. thnx guys

I need a new car. show me what you got.
(looking for boost)

#1594955 - 06/29/07 08:59 PM Re: Need a Kill Switch [Re: DXorsist77]
2skys1imit3 Offline

The Steering Column is the 1st line of defense

Best - Quick Release Hub
Better - Club and Brake/Clutch Lock
Good - Noticeable device on the Steering wheel

most thieves honestly will be turned off because even criminals know it takes more than a couple minutes

#1597935 - 07/01/07 05:37 AM Re: Need a Kill Switch [Re: 2skys1imit3]
Neo Noodle Offline
Sr Member

Originally Posted By: 2skys1imit3
Best - Quick Release Hub

Not really.. Vice Grip pliers is all they need in that situation.
"You are what you eat."

#2474348 - 03/25/08 11:12 PM Re: Need a Kill Switch [Re: Neo Noodle]
NCSkylineR33 Offline

Loc: Hubert, NC
Relocate battery to trunk

Get this
http://www.reliancemarine.com/Product/310/Ignition-Switch/View.aspx

Nuff said

#3037376 - 09/21/08 07:46 AM Re: Need a Kill Switch [Re: NCSkylineR33]
wrx-killer Offline

Loc: orange county, ca
This type of kill switch used to work back in the day. But it is not played out and real easy to bypass from the start. The best way to install a kill switch on a honda is to do it from the main relay. Reason is because with the way that you guys are doing it. If I was a theif I would just pull 12 volts from the cig and tag it straight to the fuel pump if I did not hear it prime. Ans yes theives are doing this. If you kill the ground on the main relay. You are really doing 3 kill switches in one step. This kills the fuel pump, Fuel injectors and part on the ecu. There is then no way to hot wire the car. I also like to relocate the main relays when I do alarm installs to keep the theif from getting to it. This should be the way it is done if you really want to protect your car. The best thing is that all it takes is a 1 amp switch to do. Or 1 relay to have the alarm do it for you when you arm the car.

#6299423 - 04/24/12 04:32 PM Re: Need a Kill Switch [Re: strsi]
phalangesPhil Offline

Originally Posted By: strsi
nice thread guys.

I just did one today.

soooo handy! thanks! i want to do this this weekend

#6781022 - 12/19/12 01:20 AM Re: Need a Kill Switch [Re: DXorsist77]
johnn12 Offline

hello,
welcome to this forum site.It is the best site for your queries,here you can get lots of information about various thing.I have read this question but i am note able to give your answer right now,sorry for that.So i am giving you this expert link for your queries.
thanks.
----------------
WATER FILTER REVIEWS AND INFORMATION

#8224660 - 05/26/15 08:03 PM Re: Need a Kill Switch [Re: DXorsist77]
SpringCc Offline

meizu mx3
http://hdcphone.com/

Page all of 5 12345>

Moderator:  Dr. BrokenLimits, Professor Paki 
Hop to:
Shout Box

CSi Sponsors

DiGBiC Lighters
DiGBiC Lighters
DallasColo
Dallas Colocation
ClubSi.com Shirts
ClubSi-Shirts
GameStop
Black-Friday Specials
Big Brake Kits
StopTech.Sale BBK Clearance
Brake Kits
Buy Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
BuyBrakes
Brake Kits-Pads & Rotors Sets
StopTech Brake Kits
StopTech
StopTech NZ
StopTech
StopTech Australia
StopTech
Hawk Brake Pads
Hawk Brake Pads
Samys Camera
GoPros, Cameras, Gear
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Pad Coupons
Coupon Code "hondafetish"
Porsche Brakes
Porsche Brake Upgrades
2-Piece Rotors-Civic Type-R
2-Piece Civic Rotors
Advertisement

| Brake Pads | | How To Change Brake Pads | | Drilled Slotted Brake Kits Cheap | EBC Brake Kits | Performance Brake Kits | Brake Specials Near Me | How To Replace Brake Pads