Page 1 of 2 12>
Topic Options
#32109 - 01/30/03 02:25 PM Ideas to Improve the Skidpad Forum
Runnin@Redline Jr Moderator Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: Midwest Eh?
Ok, the Skidpad is great right now, but you can always make it better, being a new mod in here, i want to get this place kickin!

So post some idea's on what you think would make this forum even better, ill leave this sticky until we figure something out

Videos
#32111 - 01/30/03 02:33 PM Re: Ideas to Improve the Skidpad Forum
bowfinger Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: Houston
wErd, make sure everyone knows about the search function and how to use it.
i think a lot of newbies just don't know or see the search box.
thats just my opinion.

#32112 - 01/30/03 02:38 PM Re: Ideas to Improve the Skidpad Forum
dpmurray Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: Cumming, GA USA
FAQ! I know everyone says "Search" but there are some things that come up so frequently they belong on an FAQ.

Like....
1. What size tires fit on the stock wheels and suspension?
2. What tires should I get?
3. Will xx" wheels fit?

There are many variables, but it seems like a lot of the most frequent questions pop up and are easily answered.

#32113 - 01/30/03 02:46 PM Re: Ideas to Improve the Skidpad Forum
Post Master Sr

Good idea's, keep them coming!

#32115 - 01/30/03 05:19 PM Re: Ideas to Improve the Skidpad Forum
samkarp Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: Milwaukee WI
Guides my friend. NA Tuning works well because we have a cam guide, LS/CRVTEC guide, ITR swap guide, etc. It cuts down on lots of repetative posts. Skidpad has started with the spring rates but other things like definitions of parts, tires to be used, etc can be added.

Also have strict and present rules on For Sale items and flaming/personal attacks. I think that Beefs way in Midwest is the best way of going about things for the For Sale. That is what we use in NA Tuning. As for the flaming...the only thing that can prevent that is good moderating. Not too firm, not too loose.

#32116 - 01/30/03 07:54 PM Re: Ideas to Improve the Skidpad Forum
dpmurray Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: Cumming, GA USA
I'd be willing to help lead the set up of an FAQ (or multiple guides). I'd need some help figuring out what questions to put in and the "correct" answers.
#32117 - 01/30/03 09:17 PM Re: Ideas to Improve the Skidpad Forum
Manny2KSi Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: The Dirty South..... "Florida"
awesome idea on the FAQ's.......

Im a skidpad noobie and i need it...
Is it 4:20 yet??

#32118 - 01/31/03 01:19 AM Re: Ideas to Improve the Skidpad Forum
SiKO Offline
Sr Member

Loc: Seattle/Silicon Valley, USA
Possibly a guide on spring rate selection.
Like Best spring rates for the following:
1) street car (soft)
2) street car (firm)
3) street/auto-x car
4) auto-x only
5) road race car
etc..
etc..
I think this would aid a lot of people, even though it would be based on opinion it would still give someone a starting point. I am at this point know and am having a hard time trying to figure what would be the best for me.

#32120 - 01/31/03 06:21 AM Re: Ideas to Improve the Skidpad Forum
Huggy Moderator Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Cincinnati, OH
I think the thing that would help the skidpad forum the most is as follows.

1. Members need to be a little more patient with questions being asked and stop over-emphasising the use of the search function. I'd rather cover something 100 times and make sure the asker gets his questions answered then to tell them to do a search.

2. We need people to post correct information, not run their mouth off about stuff they are not qualified to speak on. Too many people think they know what they are talking about yet in reality they don't know squat. [ex.... What's the best sway bar? The best sway bar is....] No need to go further, that exact situation has happend countless times here.

3. People need to be a little less critical and a little more loving. Too many people right things off here without regard to the truth. Too all of you, eat a dick .

4. People need to learn when and how to pick fights, because PMing me a threat will only get you banned. I'm sure PMing Adam a threat will get you banned as well. If you got dissed in this forum be sure threating me in any regards will only result in a ban.

5. Do not, for any reason, bring my moderator status up in a conversation if I haven't first, otherwise I will then feel justified to use my moderator status to be the ass you want me to be. I do not post as a moderator, I do not think I'm better because I'm a moderator, but if you want to bring it up be advised you dug your own grave.

I believe my 5 points to better the skidpad forum will bring about bigger changers then any other 5 you could think of.

#32121 - 02/04/03 03:05 AM Re: Ideas to Improve the Skidpad Forum
prkiller Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: Between Button Willow and Will...
Quote:

1. Members need to be a little more patient with questions being asked and stop over-emphasising the use of the search function. I'd rather cover something 100 times and make sure the asker gets his questions answered then to tell them to do a search.

2. We need people to post correct information, not run their mouth off about stuff they are not qualified to speak on. Too many people think they know what they are talking about yet in reality they don't know squat. [ex.... What's the best sway bar? The best sway bar is....] No need to go further, that exact situation has happend countless times here.

I agree with those to the Tee! Everyone always says search, when it would have taken 2 seconds to answer the question!

Nice H-man!
WCHC H4 Honda CRX Si #25
'01 Tundra V8 Limited

#32122 - 02/05/03 12:18 AM Re: Ideas to Improve the Skidpad Forum
Paul6506 Offline

Have a seperate "Tire and Wheel" forum.
#32123 - 02/05/03 06:53 PM Re: Ideas to Improve the Skidpad Forum
JDM Civic Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: Mississauga
FOR SALE STICKY POST

and definately an FAQ for the noobs.
Im sure we can dig up old threads regarding half of the questions that are already asked daily....

#32124 - 02/06/03 06:02 AM Re: Ideas to Improve the Skidpad Forum
Huggy Moderator Offline
Post Master Supreme

No For sale sticky post - we have a whole forum for that. For no reason will I allow that to happen. If another mod does it, I'll delete it. We have a whole forum for for sale items and as far as I know most regional forums have a sticky as well. If you can't sell your product there then don't come crying to me about it.

#32125 - 02/06/03 12:43 PM Re: Ideas to Improve the Skidpad Forum
Post Master Sr

im with kevin on that one, for sale posts go bye bye!

#32126 - 02/07/03 01:42 PM Re: Ideas to Improve the Skidpad Forum
drunkenbabyseal Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: Reynoldsburg, OH
guide to shocks, models and their strengths and weaknesses. some good shock and spring combinations to go along with that would be helpful.

#32127 - 02/10/03 08:20 PM Re: Ideas to Improve the Skidpad Forum
Bjorn Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: Minneapolis
A spring/shock/coilover guide with spring rates, damper rates, MSRP's and reviews all on the same page.
#32128 - 02/16/03 05:32 PM Re: Ideas to Improve the Skidpad Forum
clouds Offline
Jr Poster

Loc: CA
Yeah.. nice organized review page with everything in front of you w/o doing a search.

something like this would be nice: http://www.subarureview.com/drivetrain.php

That'll get rid of A LOT of repeat posts.

#32129 - 03/10/03 09:51 PM Re: Ideas to Improve the Skidpad Forum
NV THIS SI Offline
Major Member

Loc: NC
I think you should do a Tire Review.

#32130 - 03/11/03 08:48 AM Re: Ideas to Improve the Skidpad Forum
Anonymous
Unregistered

A tire selection guide (to go along with the suspension guide) with everything you need to know. Then stop taking all these dumb "which is better" questions.
#32131 - 03/13/03 10:54 AM Re: Ideas to Improve the Skidpad Forum
99bluesivtec Offline
Jr Member

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
is it just me, or does the search thing never work?? every time i try to use it, it never has any matches. and yes, i select the right forum and "All Posts", but i still never get anything. am i doing something wrong?

as for suggestions, didnt this forum have details on the stock Si wheels, like weight and such? i would like to see that back.

btw, the spring rates chart is awesome!

#32132 - 03/19/03 02:07 PM Re: Ideas to Improve the Skidpad Forum
jet Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: Sky-Tinted Water, USA
Definitely.....don't be like other moderators and lock the thread when you disagree with what others have to say about a product. Just because I said that a shiftknob is a performance modification...my thread was locked.
#32133 - 03/20/03 09:14 AM Re: Ideas to Improve the Skidpad Forum
Huggy Moderator Offline
Post Master Supreme

How about you keep your problems with other moderators in those forums and not spread it to other forums. If you continue to do so we'll be having a problem shortly .

#32134 - 03/26/03 10:59 PM Re: Ideas to Improve the Skidpad Forum
vtec99 Offline
Jr Poster

Loc: oregon
i think it would be wise to seperate wheel and tires stuff from the rest of the suspension stuff. this way when a person wants to know wheel and tire sizes he wont use the space for shocks and springs!
#32135 - 03/27/03 01:49 PM Re: Ideas to Improve the Skidpad Forum
Huggy Moderator Offline
Post Master Supreme

Glad to see people thinking outside the box. This has been discussed in admin forum before and it was decided that a wheel/tire/suspension forum (as it is now) works best. At the end of the day the traffic here is small enough to keep the merged topics. Thanks for the suggestion though.

#32136 - 04/16/03 07:02 AM Re: Ideas to Improve the Skidpad Forum
blk93stocksi Offline
Jr Poster

Loc: michigan, usa,
i like the faq idea, it would help a noob such as myself

#32137 - 05/17/03 09:38 PM Re: Ideas to Improve the Skidpad Forum
MixMasterMike Offline
Post Master

Loc: Nor*Cal
Quote:

I think the thing that would help the skidpad forum the most is as follows.

3. People need to be a little less critical and a little more loving. Too many people right things off here without regard to the truth. Too all of you, eat a dick .

4. People need to learn when and how to pick fights, because PMing me a threat will only get you banned. I'm sure PMing Adam a threat will get you banned as well. If you got dissed in this forum be sure threating me in any regards will only result in a ban.

5. Do not, for any reason, bring my moderator status up in a conversation if I haven't first, otherwise I will then feel justified to use my moderator status to be the ass you want me to be. I do not post as a moderator, I do not think I'm better because I'm a moderator, but if you want to bring it up be advised you dug your own grave.

I believe my 5 points to better the skidpad forum will bring about bigger changers then any other 5 you could think of.

i totally agree with all of your suggestions...everyone does scream search when it takes a whole few seconds to repeat, plus information/products/reviews change all the time so the solution to a question might have changed since then...

i agree that there should be a lot more love on the boards, when i first started to come here i noticed that a lot of people were being shot down or just being plain rude to simple questions, and even complex questions, i think that the moderators on the boards and this forum as well should practice the "warning" features a little more, i'm not saying to rule with an iron fist or anything, just be a little less tolerate with the people who always scream search and that ibtl thing!

if i could, i would suggest (if this ever comes up) NOT sponsoring a forum...i'm the mod of the wheels/tires/suspension forum on clubrsx.com and we were just sponsored by the tire rack...it's great for the money situation, but the only problem is that it's not 100% free like it used to be, todd comes on there and *suggests* prices for HIS products, and members are encouraged not to discuss or advertise other shops, however, he can do it all day long with his product...i'm not complaining just making an observation!

anyway, good suggestions hondaman, if you guys ever need another mod with experience, let me konw!

Mike

#32138 - 06/16/03 10:53 AM Re: Ideas to Improve the Skidpad Forum
SoloScott Offline

My .02...

I agree with HondaMan that it takes as much time/effort to respond to questions with a short answer as it takes to type "Try doing a search". There's no reason to shun people or make it more frustrating for them to find the help they need.

I think that there should NOT be a separate forum for wheels and tires, but it should remain in the category of "Skidpad".

I do think that it would be a great idea to have a Sticky post for tire comparisons. This would reduce the number of "Which is better" posts, but I do not consider those questions "dumb". They are the product of people who feel they have a reasonably specific/unique comparison AND/OR have not mastered the tricky Search function (explained below).

The Search function "Search options" needs to be explained, but not necessarily in the Skidpad, more likely on the Search page. I have figured out my difficulty in using it. Selecting "Entire Phrase" is the same as putting quotes around the text in other search engines. This means that all text must match in the exact string, in order. Different from "And", which means that all words must exist in any order (I was equating the two options). I wonder how many others have been doing the same thing.

My thoughts on Sticky posts; too many can clutter up the forum, but by definition they contain important information. Possibly a better solution could be a single sticky post which only contains links to the important topics. I suggest this for the Skidpad because I think there are many, often confusing, areas that make up traction and suspension. Let me try a diagram for a sticky with links:
->Skidpad General Information
-->Brakes (technical data, reviews, etc.)
-->Competition (info on: AutoX, Road Racing, SCCA, etc.)
-->Glossary (term definitions, general traction principles, etc.)
-->Suspension (technical data and "reviews")
--->Anti-Roll Bars
--->Springs/Shocks
-->Tires (reviews)
-->Wheels (technical and offset "advice")

Ok, maybe I went a little crazy on all the topics I think some of the most useful would be a glossary of terms, spring rates, tire data and comparison, and wheel offset data. Just some ideas, take it or leave it.

#32139 - 06/16/03 09:51 PM Re: Ideas to Improve the Skidpad Forum
Moose Offline
Poster

Loc: Canada Ehhhh !
A quality, well laid out, EASY TO USE, skid-pad specific FAQ or sticky is vital to answering most newbie’s questions ... How you arrange it within the Skid-pad section will be the tough part.

Based on the recurring questions, I can think of three major sections, and a bunch of possible sub-sections

Suspension
-Basic suspension theory … what a shock, spring, sway-bar, bushing, reinforcing bars (strut bars), control arms actually do.
-Basic Handling theory (over-steer, under-steer etc)
-What effect does changing (larger/smaller, softer/harder etc) a shock, spring, sway-bar, bushing, reinforcing bar (strut bars), and control arm have on the cars handling characteristics
-Basic suspension compatibility between Civics/Integra’s and between the generations of Civic/Teg
-Shock Valveing vs Spring-rates (eg, under damped spring = bouncy ride)
-Spring Rates vs. handling vs. ride quality
- True Coilovers vs. Sleeves&Shocks vs. Lowering springs (advantages and disadvantages of each)
-Using aftermarket springs with OE shocks … what is the effect

Rims/Tires
-Tire size, 205-50-15 what does it really mean and the concept of plus sizing (link to Tire size calculator page perhaps)
-Basic description of tire construction, rubber compound, and how this effects handling / ride / wear, and its use (winter/summer/competition etc)
-description of rim, diameter, offset, width, bolt pattern (X-ref with bolt-pattern guide) ----Compatibility of Rims between Honda Acura products (Bolt-pattern and offset req’s)
-Construction of rims Cast vs. SSF vs. Forged, vs. Spun, one piece vs. two piece vs. 3 piece, Aluminum vs. Steel vs. Magnesium construction
-Wheel weight/size and width and their effects on handling and acceleration
-What range of offsets will work with a specific tire width
-Basic guidelines to how what is the widest / tallest rim/tire combo that will fit on a DC/DA/EG/EK etc

Brakes
-Rotor diameter, thickness, vented/non-vented, drilled/slotted and their effects on braking
-Brake pad compounds and their effect on performance what makes a good street/track pad, what makes a good track fluid?
-Brake lines, SS vs rubber what is the advantage
-Brake fluid, wet and dry boiling temps, what makes a good street/track fluid, what makes a good track fluid
-Breakdown of rotor size and type for the most common Civics/Tegs (4th+ gen Civics and 2nd gen + Tegs)
-Basic Brake compatibility between Civics/Integra’s and between the generations of Civic/Teg
-Brake size and the minimum rim size that will fit over the rotor i.e. 15”rim over an 11” rotor

Any all or some of these potential topics can be discussed briefly but with a link to one of the many good web-pages that have a more in-depth discussion of the particular topic.

#32140 - 09/04/03 12:59 AM Re: Ideas to Improve the Skidpad Forum
NNHC Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: AB, Canada
I think these two are good read, I saved these two, maybe they can be put into good use.
About slotted, drilled rotors or not:
http://forums.clubsi.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB42&Number=2708740&fpart=&PHPSESSID=
About LSD, not so hot of a topic since its expensive, but still its a pretty good read :
http://forums.clubsi.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB1&Number=2731389&fpart=&PHPSESSID=

#32141 - 09/19/03 01:26 PM Re: Ideas to Improve the Skidpad Forum
J13 Offline
Post Master

i think you should make 3 seperate bibles, like the newbie bible. one for tires, one for wheels, and one for suspension. you could start by posting polls about which tires people prefer and so on.

I prefer to see a tire/wheel forum and a suspension forum as I have a more profound interest in the wheels/tires than suspension.

#32142 - 09/19/03 01:43 PM Re: Ideas to Improve the Skidpad Forum
Post Master Sr

Wheels and tires are part of the suspension. if you want, feel free to create any documents you want for the general info post, post them up and i will make any small corrections

#32143 - 09/26/03 12:06 PM Re: Ideas to Improve the Skidpad Forum
Huggy Moderator Offline
Post Master Supreme

Just so everyone knows - I am begining to build a detailed explanation of everything listed here, with pics and great graphics. It's been put on a slight hold while I move. When I get the first one done I'll post it.

#32144 - 10/08/03 03:52 PM Re: Ideas to Improve the Skidpad Forum
marshun Offline
Poster

Quote:

i think you should make 3 seperate bibles, like the newbie bible. one for tires, one for wheels, and one for suspension. you could start by posting polls about which tires people prefer and so on.

I prefer to see a tire/wheel forum and a suspension forum as I have a more profound interest in the wheels/tires than suspension.

this sounds like a good idea.

there are always posts about strut bars and sway bars. why not have a listing of those things and have their stats. it would just make for an easier side by side comparison. comparing the stats anyway.

#32145 - 10/09/03 08:40 AM Re: Ideas to Improve the Skidpad Forum
Huggy Moderator Offline
Post Master Supreme

How about you put the info together and email it to me at mossk_civicsi@yahoo.com - I'll then sticky it and mention how you put it together. I'll gladly accept it in a Word, text or Excel document.

#32146 - 10/09/03 03:02 PM Re: Ideas to Improve the Skidpad Forum
Post Master Sr

Great Posts by everyone, but like Kevin said, if you think there should be a post that needs to be done, post it up! or email to either of us, we can place it into the General Informaton post (sorry its behind, school is killing me right now) and all can see it

Page 1 of 2 12>

Moderator:  Huggy, Runnin@Redline Jr, Professor Paki 
Hop to:
Shout Box

CSi Sponsors

DiGBiC Lighters
DiGBiC Lighters
DallasColo
Dallas Colocation
ClubSi.com Shirts
ClubSi-Shirts
GameStop
Black-Friday Specials
Big Brake Kits
StopTech.Sale BBK Clearance
Brake Kits
Buy Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
BuyBrakes
Brake Kits-Pads & Rotors Sets
StopTech Brake Kits
StopTech
StopTech NZ
StopTech
StopTech Australia
StopTech
Hawk Brake Pads
Hawk Brake Pads
Samys Camera
GoPros, Cameras, Gear
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Pad Coupons
Coupon Code "hondafetish"
Porsche Brakes
Porsche Brake Upgrades
2-Piece Rotors-Civic Type-R
2-Piece Civic Rotors
Advertisement

| Brake Pads | | How To Change Brake Pads | | Drilled Slotted Brake Kits Cheap | EBC Brake Kits | Performance Brake Kits | Brake Specials Near Me | How To Replace Brake Pads