Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#2035343 - 11/15/07 02:09 AM saving up for a JDM B18C... here's the question...
Pinoytoy Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: Issaquah, Washington
What is the difference between the 96 spec and the 98 spec JDM ITR engines? On websites they have a $600 difference.

I'm planning to put this into my ej8 coupe and would like some insight on which would be easier to install into my car.

Is it worth saving up the extra cash and get the 98 spec or not? Jus trying to do some research on this engine. Thanks

Visit Sponsors! Help CSi !
#2037264 - 11/15/07 04:39 PM Re: saving up for a JDM B18C... here's the question... [Re: Pinoytoy]
Slurp56 Moderator Online   happy
Post Master Sr

Loc: S21
There are only a couple of major differences but the parts differences do add up to quite a bit. In '98 Honda started putting the JDM ITR 4-1 Header with 2.5" Collector onto the TypeR motors. The '96-'97 motors got a regular cast manifold. The header by istelf is not uncommon to sell for around $400 if you wanted to upgrade from a cast manifold.

The other major difference is that the '98+ ITR's got the 4.7 Final Drive in the transmission vs. the standard 4.4 that the '96-'97 ITR's got. Again, the price of the parts is alsmot $350 for the Final Drive kit if you wanted to upgrade a standard transmission.

Neither motor will be harder to install that the other. If you do get the 4-1 Header, plan to go to an exhaust shop or roll your own, since the standard size inlet on honda catalytic convertors is 2.25".

Other than that, just match the correct year ECU with your car, or you may need to get a jumper harness. 96-97 Honda's = OBD2a, 98+ = OBD2b. The 2 OBD systems are interchangeable, just the plugs that go to the ECU are difference, hence the need for the jumper harness.

#2037604 - 11/15/07 06:25 PM Re: saving up for a JDM B18C... here's the question... [Re: Slurp56]
Pinoytoy Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: Issaquah, Washington
 Originally Posted By: Slurp56
There are only a couple of major differences but the parts differences do add up to quite a bit. In '98 Honda started putting the JDM ITR 4-1 Header with 2.5" Collector onto the TypeR motors. The '96-'97 motors got a regular cast manifold. The header by istelf is not uncommon to sell for around $400 if you wanted to upgrade from a cast manifold.

The other major difference is that the '98+ ITR's got the 4.7 Final Drive in the transmission vs. the standard 4.4 that the '96-'97 ITR's got. Again, the price of the parts is alsmot $350 for the Final Drive kit if you wanted to upgrade a standard transmission.

Neither motor will be harder to install that the other. If you do get the 4-1 Header, plan to go to an exhaust shop or roll your own, since the standard size inlet on honda catalytic convertors is 2.25".

Other than that, just match the correct year ECU with your car, or you may need to get a jumper harness. 96-97 Honda's = OBD2a, 98+ = OBD2b. The 2 OBD systems are interchangeable, just the plugs that go to the ECU are difference, hence the need for the jumper harness.

my car is a 99-00 ej8 so will i need the jumper harness for it to work?

#2038887 - 11/16/07 01:22 AM Re: saving up for a JDM B18C... here's the question... [Re: Pinoytoy]
Import Tuner Offline
Gold Member
Post Master Sr

Loc: Tacoma, Wash..
 Originally Posted By: Pinoytoy
 Originally Posted By: Slurp56

my car is a 99-00 ej8 so will i need the jumper harness for it to work?

That Slurp guy is pretty knowledgeable...
But yeah, just get an OBDIIb ECU and you'll be fine (without an adapter harness) ...

#2066628 - 11/25/07 05:30 PM Re: saving up for a JDM B18C... here's the question... [Re: Import Tuner]
A_DuB Offline

Loc: Louisiana, Shreveport
whether you need a jumper harness or not depends on the ecu/motor....if your going to stick with obd2 then you wont need one but odb1 you will...obd1 ecu's are the more popular and in my opinion the better choice

#2068220 - 11/26/07 12:58 AM Re: saving up for a JDM B18C... here's the question... [Re: A_DuB]
Import Tuner Offline
Gold Member
Post Master Sr

Originally Posted By: A_DuB
whether you need a jumper harness or not depends on the ecu/motor....if your going to stick with obd2 then you wont need one but odb1 you will...obd1 ecu's are the more popular and in my opinion the better choice

I'm kinda new here!, are you saying he can use a '96/'98 OBD2 ECU in his car without an adapter harness?...

#2070000 - 11/26/07 02:48 PM Re: saving up for a JDM B18C... here's the question... [Re: A_DuB]
Slurp56 Moderator Online   happy
Post Master Sr

Loc: S21

I'm confused, are you saying that OBD1 JDM ITR ECU's are more popular?

#2101406 - 12/05/07 12:11 PM Re: saving up for a JDM B18C... here's the question... [Re: Import Tuner]
slowpoke Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Tx
 Originally Posted By: Import Tuner

I'm kinda new here!, are you saying he can use a '96/'98 OBD2 ECU in his car without an adapter harness?...

No you cannot.

96-98 obd2 ecu is obd2a
99-00 obd2 ecu is obd2b

you cannot use a obd2a ecu in a 99-00 civic if you are using the 99-00 civic wiring harness the adapter plugs are different and will not plug into the ecu.

You will need an obd2b to obd2a adapter.

Edited by slowpoke (12/05/07 12:15 PM)

#2105392 - 12/06/07 03:13 PM Re: saving up for a JDM B18C... here's the question... [Re: slowpoke]
Import Tuner Offline
Gold Member
Post Master Sr

Originally Posted By: slowpoke
 Originally Posted By: Import Tuner

No you cannot.

96-98 obd2 ecu is obd2a
99-00 obd2 ecu is obd2b

you cannot use a obd2a ecu in a 99-00 civic if you are using the 99-00 civic wiring harness the adapter plugs are different and will not plug into the ecu.

You will need an obd2b to obd2a adapter.

Your sarcacm detector apparently needs new batteries... \:\)

#2951595 - 08/25/08 04:27 PM Re: saving up for a JDM B18C... here's the question... [Re: Import Tuner]
jime4871 Offline
Jr Poster

Loc: Portland, OR.
Also if the JDM B18C motor is a 01, then it's an OBD2B. Probably not.
Just run the stock JDM ECU. Get yourself a jumper harness OBD2B - OBD2A.

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  Slurp56, Professor Paki 
Hop to:
Shout Box

CSi Sponsors

DiGBiC Lighters
DiGBiC Lighters
DallasColo
Dallas Colocation
ClubSi.com Shirts
ClubSi-Shirts
GameStop
Black-Friday Specials
Big Brake Kits
StopTech.Sale BBK Clearance
Brake Kits
Buy Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
BuyBrakes
Brake Kits-Pads & Rotors Sets
StopTech Brake Kits
StopTech
StopTech NZ
StopTech
StopTech Australia
StopTech
Hawk Brake Pads
Hawk Brake Pads
Samys Camera
GoPros, Cameras, Gear
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Pad Coupons
Coupon Code "hondafetish"
Porsche Brakes
Porsche Brake Upgrades
2-Piece Rotors-Civic Type-R
2-Piece Civic Rotors
Advertisement

| Brake Pads | | How To Change Brake Pads | | Drilled Slotted Brake Kits Cheap | EBC Brake Kits | Performance Brake Kits | Brake Specials Near Me | How To Replace Brake Pads