#7131177 - 06/17/13 12:03 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Sir Ironpool]
Ampsman in Extremis Offline
I PITY THE FOOL!
Post Master Supreme

Loc: San Jose, Ca, USA
 Originally Posted By: Mrs. Ironmom
 Originally Posted By: ampsman
Fantastic report. It reminds me of one of the reasons I love these races...the friendly people. Nobody in an ultra is going run by or not stop for a downed runner...he'll even one that just looks tired. I think Id like to do that race next year....I love that area.

I was just browsing ultrasignup last night. I think I'm going to sign up for the Bootlegger 50k in Boulder City NV in the fall. Only a month after IM Tahoe, but I really want to race on trails.

There is another race on the same course in October.
. Bootlegger is Nov 9th. I should do both. \:\)

Do it!!
Finally able to run this weekend after 5 days off because of my knee, still pretty tight and big lump on my knee cap but its definitely feeling better.
Gonna try and knock out 50 miles before saturday and then do a 30k on saturday.
Oh and those scott's are freaking awesome.

Paki: 3:36

#7131488 - 06/17/13 01:50 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: ]
Design Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: The OC
 Originally Posted By: dirtyS13drifta
Whats your current routine? Doing any intervals? Or slightly fastet than goal pace runs?
11@ 99 is great. Yourr pretty much there?

Thanks - I'm mostly doing easy runs during the week with one big run Friday nights. Then take it easy over the weekend. Every week I try to run a little longer or a little faster.

Chris - Sounds like good advice. Though I'm scared as hell that I might pull something. \:\(
89 Camaro - Sold
CSI. What's your diversion?

#7136448 - 06/19/13 09:45 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Design]
Back 5 Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: CA
Okay...getting off my "injury high horse" and starting my training for the 10 mile race in October. I've decided that I cannot complete 10 miles in minimalist shoes, so recommendations on trainers please? I cannot run in soft shoes like the Kinvara line, I need something firm but with cushion.

I know Mr. Mom loves the Kwicky Blades...anything else from you all? I'd like to not break the bank if possible. Going to the local running store Friday.

#7136659 - 06/20/13 12:58 AM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Back 5]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Long Beach, CA
I've been running quite a few miles in the Brooks Pure Connect. I really like them...they're a bit roomier in the toebox than most of my other shoes.

#7138097 - 06/20/13 05:10 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Sir Ironpool]
I PITY THE FOOL!
Post Master Supreme

ya the brooks pure line is pretty awesome as far as lightweight but still sort of cushioned shoes go.
that reminds me...i need to get a new pair of pure flows for the road.

#7138234 - 06/20/13 07:10 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Ampsman in Extremis]
Back 5 Offline
Post Master Supreme

ya the brooks pure line is pretty awesome as far as lightweight but still sort of cushioned shoes go.
that reminds me...i need to get a new pair of pure flows for the road.

I'll check them out tomorrow. Have they redesigned the shoes? Last time I tried on a pair of Brooks pure line (I believe) it felt like there was a ball under my forefoot. Very uncomfortable feeling.

EDIT: Are they cushioned enough for a marathon? What do you run your Ironman's in Mr. Mom?

Edited by Back 5 (06/20/13 07:12 PM)

#7138988 - 06/21/13 08:20 AM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Back 5]
Lividentity Offline
Major Member

Loc: Gehenna
I started out using the Brooks PureConnect, I have since been using the Brooks PureConnect 2 and I think they are great shoes. I use them on the road and the pair I'm using now I ran my marathon in along with having probably 200 miles on them now. They're still in great shape and I'd recommend anyone checking them out.
#7139022 - 06/21/13 08:39 AM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Back 5]
MonkeyStillAlive Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: Sunny FL
 Originally Posted By: Back 5
Okay...getting off my "injury high horse" and starting my training for the 10 mile race in October. I've decided that I cannot complete 10 miles in minimalist shoes, so recommendations on trainers please? I cannot run in soft shoes like the Kinvara line, I need something firm but with cushion.

I know Mr. Mom loves the Kwicky Blades...anything else from you all? I'd like to not break the bank if possible. Going to the local running store Friday.

What race are you doing?

#7139559 - 06/21/13 11:56 AM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: MonkeyStillAlive]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

I've done all my standalone marathons in various KSwiss shoes, but mostly the Blade Lights. Same with my wife. Even my dad and brother run in them now.

#7140255 - 06/21/13 06:30 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Sir Ironpool]
Back 5 Offline
Post Master Supreme

I've yet to put a pair of Blades on. Don't think my local running store has them...might have to head down to the national chain and try them on \:\(

EDIT: What about Newton or Pearl Izumi? I thought you ran in those Mr. Mom.

Edited by Back 5 (06/21/13 07:58 PM)

#7141057 - 06/22/13 02:31 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Back 5]
Back 5 Offline
Post Master Supreme

I went with the Pure Cadence2. Going to start slow with 1-2 mile runs, 3 mins run to 1 min walk. I want to really ease into the tempo of running and hope to stave off any lower leg pain.

#7141069 - 06/22/13 02:57 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Back 5]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: Back 5
I've yet to put a pair of Blades on. Don't think my local running store has them...might have to head down to the national chain and try them on \:\(

EDIT: What about Newton or Pearl Izumi? I thought you ran in those Mr. Mom.

I picked up a pair of these PI's a few weeks ago and have been doing half my runs in them. Very similar to the Zoot shoes I've raced in in the past, but even better. I really like them.

#7141141 - 06/22/13 04:18 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Sir Ironpool]
Back 5 Offline
Post Master Supreme

The running guy I know at the local store recommended I stick with a single shoe for now until my legs get fit enough to where I can run consistently without any pain/injury/set-back etc. At that point, he said to come back and he will get me into multiple pairs to run/train in etc.

I thought running was easy? Maybe it's a mental thing with me and my fear of injuring my legs again as well as all my knee surgeries etc or I just pushed too fast too quickly earlier this year with my mileage.

I'm really hoping I can run pain free.

#7141342 - 06/22/13 08:19 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Back 5]
Impulsive Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Edmonton
Woot, new house comes with a lake membership. Legs are beat from running, squats and cycling so today, I got to kayak:

#7141890 - 06/23/13 12:23 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Impulsive]
2000SiRacer Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Colorado
Hey guys, just checking in with some updates:

1. http://clubsi.com/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Main/294598/Number/7067043#Post7067043 the part of the race report mentioning the muscles behind my right knee proved to be more serious than expected. Doctor thought it could be either a Baker's cyst, a torn hamstring or a combination of the two. An MRI last week showed it to be a Baker's cyst, which is great news, but still necessitated six weeks off running and missing the TNF DC 50 in early June. I've "run" the past two days though without too much issue, so I think I'm back. Whether I have enough time to prepare for Leadville is TBD, but I'm going to give it a shot.

2. I'm typing this from a half-moved-into apartment in Steamboat Springs. I haven't had a chance to see much of the town yet but I'm loving the area and the people I've met so far. I "ran" for 47 minutes yesterday and it was hard to tell whether things were so hard because of my 6 weeks off (cross training just didn't happen like it should've) or it just being day 2 at altitude (~6,800')

3. Huge brag post: my girlfriend ran her first marathon yesterday. She's a pretty driven and focused person/runner so she set her sights high and was aiming for a BQ time (3:35) with realistic hopes of 3:2X. When she came down with a stubborn summer cold/virus 1.5 weeks before the race she thought about dropping out since she was really looking to run hard and not "just finish" but made the trip in the end. Long story short, she ran a 3:19:42 at her first marathon! And that was with a cramping calf at mile 25. Her pace dropped from 7:34 to 8:48 for that final 1.2 miles despite feeling fresh enough to run it in for a fast finish. Definitely left 90-120 seconds out there because of that. She's already talking about sub 3:10 for her next race. Dang.

That's about it I suppose. Reading back through the last page or so makes it sound like everyone is doing well and enjoying early summer training! Enjoy it

#7142012 - 06/23/13 03:00 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: 2000SiRacer]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

That's an impressive time for sure. I thought my wife's 3:29 at Boston of hardly any training was crazy, but your girl is dang fast. Of course, she's probably like 25 and hasn't had 3 kids either.

Bummer about the knee. Sucks that our bodies have to give us those reality checks sometime. I'm feeling less than motivated these days and slow to boot. \:\( Only been averaging 35 miles a week running and like 80 on thd bike. Hoping this weekends festivities at Squaw will jump start things. IM Tahoe will be here real soon.

Still planning on signing up for that Bootlegger 50k in November though.

#7142424 - 06/23/13 09:42 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Sir Ironpool]
I PITY THE FOOL!
Post Master Supreme

That sucks about having to take so much time off but at least its something that should heal up, and holy shit your gf kicks major ass.
Leadville is only a couple months away isnt it? I hope you're able to get out there and finish it.

I did a 30k yesterday down in santa cruz, it looked easy on paper with about 3k of elevation but there was some gnarly climbs and my knee really started barkin on the downhills. All in all it was a pretty fun run though, perfect weather, some beautiful trails and we crossed a waist deep river twice...found out my shoes drain very well.
Finished in 2:38, good for 5th overall and 3rd in my age group...I was only 7 minutes off the previous course record.

#7144815 - 06/25/13 01:14 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Ampsman in Extremis]
Design Offline
Post Master Supreme

Some cool updates in here. Anyone run Mammoth this weekend? My brother spent the day in the ER after over-using his knee. He's fine but not definitely not the venue to be running your first half.
89 Camaro - Sold

#7145007 - 06/25/13 02:47 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Design]
I PITY THE FOOL!
Post Master Supreme

wow...just looked at the course info, thats some crazy downhill.
No wonder his knees are shot.

#7145391 - 06/25/13 07:30 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Ampsman in Extremis]
2000SiRacer Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Colorado
That sucks about having to take so much time off but at least its something that should heal up, and holy shit your gf kicks major ass.
Leadville is only a couple months away isnt it? I hope you're able to get out there and finish it.

I did a 30k yesterday down in santa cruz, it looked easy on paper with about 3k of elevation but there was some gnarly climbs and my knee really started barkin on the downhills. All in all it was a pretty fun run though, perfect weather, some beautiful trails and we crossed a waist deep river twice...found out my shoes drain very well.
Finished in 2:38, good for 5th overall and 3rd in my age group...I was only 7 minutes off the previous course record.

Nice work! That's a solid result for sure.

And yeah, please keep your fingers crossed for me. I have family and friends coming out this year for Leadville and 7.5 weeks and counting to get ready is a little scary. There's a real possibility of sitting this one out, maybe pacing my buddy Jeff who's running it again.

Chris, what happened to your motivation and speed?? Too much time training for triathlons or what? \:\(

#7145777 - 06/26/13 02:25 AM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: 2000SiRacer]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: 2000SiRacer

Chris, what happened to your motivation and speed?? Too much time training for triathlons or what? \:\(

I'm really not sure what it is. I think part of it is that the kids are out of school now, so my normal steady routine of daily runs has really taken a hit and I have to squeeze them in whenever I can. Throw in the fact that the wife is working crazy hours and has been out of town a bit lately and its just wearing on me. Could be worse...I could just not like running anymore, but in this case its the opposite.

I was also fighting a stomach bug all this week too, and barely ate anything for like 4 days and still insisted on getting out to run, and I'm sure you can imagine how that went.

The good news is that I have this epic weekend at States coming up in 2 days, and then next weekend we start our week-long family vacation up in the same area in some fairly remote cabins with epic mountain biking and trail running along with lots of lounging in the river. I have a feeling its going to recharge the batteries a bit. Then I can get a solid 10 week build in for Tahoe IM.

#7146327 - 06/26/13 10:48 AM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Sir Ironpool]
I PITY THE FOOL!
Post Master Supreme

I feel ya about the summer schedules for the kids...been nuts.
I think 90% of my running these days is when the kids are asleep, either 5am or like 10pm. Still managing some decent miles though and am over 1000 for the year.
That will be good to get some training at elevation, ever think about renting a hyperbaric chamber?
I'm so jealous of your western states pacing, going to be awesome.

I just signed up for a 6 hour run thats a week from saturday, its a 3.3 mile loop that you just pound for 6 hours.
I'm going to try and get 40 miles but I'm worried about melting down mentally from the monotony.

#7148705 - 06/27/13 11:14 AM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Ampsman in Extremis]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

Have had two good days of bike/run bricks that didn't feel too bad. Did a 6 mile test run last night with my new hydration vest and it should work really well. I leave for Tahoe tonight. Montrail 6k race is 10am tomorrow.

#7148742 - 06/27/13 11:32 AM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Sir Ironpool]
I PITY THE FOOL!
Post Master Supreme

Have had two good days of bike/run bricks that didn't feel too bad. Did a 6 mile test run last night with my new hydration vest and it should work really well. I leave for Tahoe tonight. Montrail 6k race is 10am tomorrow.

what did you end up getting?

#7149199 - 06/27/13 02:45 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Ampsman in Extremis]
Design Offline
Post Master Supreme

Got the Surf City 5K in a week. Hoping to do a sub-23 but will be happy doing anything under 24:30.

Not sure about everyone else, but when schedules get crazy I just takes kids with me to gym with me. Treadmill isn't my favorite training spot but I guess it could be worse.
89 Camaro - Sold

#7149423 - 06/27/13 04:34 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Ampsman in Extremis]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

what did you end up getting?

I got the Ultraspire Surge. It has slightly more capacity which I thought I might need as our section will be heading into nighttime. Room for headlamp, flashlight, lightweight top, etc.

#7149425 - 06/27/13 04:35 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Design]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: Design
Got the Surf City 5K in a week. Hoping to do a sub-23 but will be happy doing anything under 24:30.

Not sure about everyone else, but when schedules get crazy I just takes kids with me to gym with me. Treadmill isn't my favorite training spot but I guess it could be worse.

Good luck Kent...race hard!

#7156998 - 07/02/13 03:53 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Sir Ironpool]
I PITY THE FOOL!
Post Master Supreme

Got my 6 hour on saturday.
I've been trying to prep for the mental aspect of it.
The other night I did ten 1 mile loops around my neighborhood.
Then on sunday I went out at 1pm in 98 degree heat and did seven 2.25 mile loops at a local park.
Fuck me this race is going to suck.
Oh they will have a live webcast of the start/finish line!
http://www.ultrasportslive.tv/
I dont know what my bib # is yet though.

#7157222 - 07/02/13 06:03 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Ampsman in Extremis]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

You're insane man...I know my brain couldnt handle that.

#7157242 - 07/02/13 06:14 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Sir Ironpool]
RedACR Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: Washingtonville, NY
They should call the Brooks pureconnect "pureawesome".
ive been on them for a month or so and im loving them. i think that
cushiony bump in the midfoot helped a ton with some bad heel pain
that ive been dealing with for months.

#7161315 - 07/05/13 09:27 AM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: RedACR]
Lividentity Offline
Major Member

Loc: Gehenna
Had a 10k race yesterday morning and decided not to eat/drink prerace as I wanted to see how I'd do running purely on glycogen stores.

My previous PR for a 10k was 57:20 around 8 months ago. Since then I've been running a lot more and ended up with a roughly 50:35, not sure of official time. I am pretty stoked about this, with the right weather/a little more recovery since before my last run I'd be able to sub 50 min a 10k. Lately I've been running 10:30 pace because of the heat so this was a welcome race.

I also just signed up for LA Fitness last weekend and going to start working on strength training, excited to improve my overall fitness.

#7163447 - 07/06/13 06:29 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Lividentity]
I PITY THE FOOL!
Post Master Supreme

Full race report to come later.
All I can say is I ran with headphones for the first time ever during a race and I think it saved my sanity.
The race was at Point Pinole up near Oakland right on the water so cold and brutal winds when we first started, winds stayed pretty strong thru the day.
3.37 mile loops and then after 5 hours they open up a .74 mile loop that you can run, you have to complete a loop for it to count towards your distance.
I ended up with 11 laps of the big loop and 7 laps of the little loop for a total of 42.27 miles with about 1700 feet elevation.
I was 4th overall, 3rd place overall among males and I beat the old course record by almost 2 miles.
Pretty incredible day, i pushed myself farther physically and mentally then I ever have before and felt like I came out pretty good.

#7163896 - 07/07/13 12:19 AM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Ampsman in Extremis]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

Nice job man... That's pretty damn impressive!

#7164870 - 07/07/13 09:38 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Sir Ironpool]
I PITY THE FOOL!
Post Master Supreme

Thanks! I really had no idea what to expect and no idea about strategy for this type of race, do you bank miles early while you are strong or go easy and steady the whole time? I kind of picked a middle ground and felt like I was going strong but not to crazy, I did end up running PR's for marathon, 30k and 50k for this race though.
Heres a glamour shot.

#7164964 - 07/07/13 11:35 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Ampsman in Extremis]
Design Offline
Post Master Supreme

Congrats guys. Great times and mileage!

Completed the Surf City 5K last Thurs in 23:21. Pretty stoked to beat my previous time by over a minute.
89 Camaro - Sold

Page 62 of 148 « First<6061626364>Last »

Moderator:  Silock, Professor Paki 
Hop to:
Shout Box

CSi Sponsors

DiGBiC Lighters
DiGBiC Lighters
DallasColo
Dallas Colocation
ClubSi.com Shirts
ClubSi-Shirts
GameStop
Black-Friday Specials
Big Brake Kits
StopTech.Sale BBK Clearance
Brake Kits
Buy Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
BuyBrakes
Brake Kits-Pads & Rotors Sets
StopTech Brake Kits
StopTech
StopTech NZ
StopTech
StopTech Australia
StopTech
Hawk Brake Pads
Hawk Brake Pads
Samys Camera
GoPros, Cameras, Gear
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Pad Coupons
Coupon Code "hondafetish"
Porsche Brakes
Porsche Brake Upgrades
2-Piece Rotors-Civic Type-R
2-Piece Civic Rotors
Advertisement

| Brake Pads | | How To Change Brake Pads | | Drilled Slotted Brake Kits Cheap | EBC Brake Kits | Performance Brake Kits | Brake Specials Near Me | How To Replace Brake Pads