Page 59 of 148 « First<5758596061>Last »
Topic Options
#7029166 - 04/22/13 10:54 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Sir Ironpool]
dirtyS13drifta
Unregistered

Did 8 on accident on Sunday. Was camping at a new
Park. Took a turn and after a 1/4 mile it looped away from camp. Realized that's my longest paved run this year. Though technically only abou 6 was paved.

Felt awkward. But that could be that it was only 2 hours after a huge lunch and some beers.

Weather is amazing this week. So in hoping to break 20 this week for once.

#7032255 - 04/24/13 12:11 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: ]
Ampsman in Extremis Offline
I PITY THE FOOL!
Post Master Supreme

Loc: San Jose, Ca, USA
Lets talk breathing.
My experience this weekend left me thinking about what I need to do differently, the obvious thing was my breathing.
I am a mouth breather and I have never even really given any thought to my breathing patterns when running. I had remembered Jurek talking about nose breathing in his book and they also talk about it in chi running.
I actually tried it on my run this morning and it was not easy, you really don’t feel like you are getting enough oxygen.
But what I found is that it forces you to get into a rhythm with your breathing because you cant just gasp for air with your nose, even if you want to.
So I found myself keeping my breathing on pace with my strides, so say 4 strides I breath in and then the next 4 strides I breath out. It actually ended up being kind of relaxing.
I still need to work on it but felt like I already made some progress, the real test of course is when I'm doing some hills or something really strenuous.

Paki: 3:36

#7032320 - 04/24/13 12:36 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Ampsman in Extremis]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Long Beach, CA
It's funny you mention it, and I don't know why I didn't think about it after your initial report.

In my 50k, at a difficult section where I was having a low moment at like mile 20, I realized I just didn't seem to be getting a good amount of air in with each breath. I'm a mouth breather too, but I found that focusing on exhaling helped a whole lot...like it completely brought me back around. I would take a big deep breath with my mouth open, but then I'd exhale kind of forcefully through pursed lips. I don't know if it was the technique itself or just the fact that it forced me to focus on something other than hating life at that moment, but it worked really really well.

#7032457 - 04/24/13 01:34 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Sir Ironpool]
dirtyS13drifta
Unregistered

Funny, I've been having breathing thoughts too. I think I've got super mild allergies, but it's been making me struggle. OR something has. It seems like lately I've been out of breath a lot on runs. I tend to pant on the out breath too much I think, rather than calmly exhaling. On shoter runs(5k), I've been getting side aches and feeling very short of breath(only thing keeping me from speeding up). On long runs I just feel like I'm breathing a bit harder than I should.

On my next LSR I'll try the nose breathing. And on moderate stuff I'm going to work on controlled exhales.

#7032522 - 04/24/13 02:05 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: ]
Lividentity Offline
Major Member

Loc: Gehenna
I read recently about a type of breathing for running where you want to alternate what foot you land on when exhaling. It was something about you put the most stress on your body when you exhale. So you want to inhale for 3 steps and exhale for 2 steps, so you always are alternating your breaths. I'm pretty sure it was in the last issue of Runner's World. I'd have to try to find it. I, personally, don't think about it and just breathe as I need to when I run.
#7032666 - 04/24/13 03:09 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Lividentity]
SilverSiR2 Offline
Post Master Supreme

Anyone watch the tv show Boundless, it's two Canadians doing ultramarathon type races. They did a total of 8 races in 5 months, completely hardcore. Here's the trailer:

http://vimeo.com/59111394

#7032674 - 04/24/13 03:13 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: SilverSiR2]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

Looks awesome...but looks like Canada only. \:\(

#7033651 - 04/24/13 11:46 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Sir Ironpool]
slackereg6 Offline

Loc: Hot Texas
What are you guys using for a trail shoe?

Currently using saucony kinvaras on the street and was using asics gel-scram for dirt runs but they have fallen apart. I can always pick up another pair of scrams but kind of want to try something new.

#7033696 - 04/25/13 12:33 AM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: slackereg6]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

I LOVE my Brooks Pure Grit.

#7033888 - 04/25/13 07:50 AM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Sir Ironpool]
Lividentity Offline
Major Member

Loc: Gehenna
 Originally Posted By: Mrs. Ironmom

Funny enough I picked up a pair of these yesterday, they felt great in the store. Will be trying them out this weekend!

#7033972 - 04/25/13 08:33 AM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Lividentity]
slackereg6 Offline

Will see if the local store has those. Doing a 10k night trail run this weekend if it stops raining.

#7034142 - 04/25/13 09:58 AM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Sir Ironpool]
I PITY THE FOOL!
Post Master Supreme

Pure grit 2 are probably my favorite shoe ever.
I use them for everything.

#7035058 - 04/25/13 04:05 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Sir Ironpool]
I PITY THE FOOL!
Post Master Supreme

It's funny you mention it, and I don't know why I didn't think about it after your initial report.

In my 50k, at a difficult section where I was having a low moment at like mile 20, I realized I just didn't seem to be getting a good amount of air in with each breath. I'm a mouth breather too, but I found that focusing on exhaling helped a whole lot...like it completely brought me back around. I would take a big deep breath with my mouth open, but then I'd exhale kind of forcefully through pursed lips. I don't know if it was the technique itself or just the fact that it forced me to focus on something other than hating life at that moment, but it worked really really well.

That has worked for me in the past, especially when working out cramps.
I am more and more starting to think that my issue initially was maybe triggered by allergies and then my poor breathing techniques exasperated the problem and I then had some sort of anxiety attack. I used to have alot of anxiety issues, which is why I dont drink caffeine, and ultimately how I ended up when I dropped was exactly like when I used to have anxiety attacks...face and hands tingling, gasping for air.
I did another run this morning, 8 miles, and I would say 95% nose breathing.
I got so comfortable that at one point I tried to inhale thru my mouth and didnt feel like I was getting enough oxygen. Then went right back to my nose and felt great. What is really great is how much more in control I feel.

#7037482 - 04/26/13 06:38 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Ampsman in Extremis]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

It seems like with running, its easy to swing too far both ways....over thinking things, and underthinking them as well. There are times where I realize that I'm being lazy and my posture sucks or my turnover is slow, and Ihave to force myself to correct it. Then there will be runs where I spend the whole thing obsessing over my pace, or how I feel or whatever.

We just spend way more time in our own heads than most people.

#7039334 - 04/28/13 03:35 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Sir Ironpool]
slackereg6 Offline

The trail run went just about as bad as possible.

Started off at the back of the pack since the trails were narrow I could not do much the first 1.5 miles. Finally got passed that group and was running solo for a few minutes. Didn’t spot a tree root sticking up and rolled my ankle bad at about mile 2. Limped it out for a little bit before being able to run again. 4 miles in got back to a decent pace minus having to slow down at a few turns that were not marked well. Right before the finish hit a rock that was sticking up and went down again. Walked/limped it in for a 59 flat.

Ankle looks like the top 1/4 of a tennis ball this morning. I will be doing another one next during the day so hopefully I can do a little better.

#7041161 - 04/29/13 03:34 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: slackereg6]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

Lol that sucks man. Id imagine it was one of those times where it gets so ridiculous you just have to laugh.

My brother takes his running group out on full moon trail runs and Im always super jealous. Looks like a blast.

#7043177 - 04/30/13 02:38 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Sir Ironpool]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

10 mile run this morning followed up with a mile in the pool. Whew.

#7043185 - 04/30/13 02:40 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Sir Ironpool]
I PITY THE FOOL!
Post Master Supreme

10 mile run this morning followed up with a mile in the pool. Whew.

you're not doing that faggy tri stuff again are you?

#7043313 - 04/30/13 03:38 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Ampsman in Extremis]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

Lol, yep...I've been sucked back in. Olympic distance weekend after next up at Folsom Lake. Figured I should probably do the other two sports at least a few times before the race, lol.

#7043370 - 04/30/13 04:04 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Sir Ironpool]
nato2377 Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: Denver, CO
i ran for the first time in forever last night, 4.3 miles at a 8:48 pace. cardio was good from all the cycling but my legs are so fucking sore today lol
#7043400 - 04/30/13 04:16 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: nato2377]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

Oh yeah....going from no impact to high impact fucking sucks! Its not so bad going the other way though, my cycling fitness hasnt seemed to of suffered too much the last 4 months or so. My flexibilty in aero leaves a bit to be desired, but that'll come quickly.

#7045765 - 05/01/13 07:16 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Sir Ironpool]
dirtyS13drifta
Unregistered

Time for a 6 miler trail race.
Wish me luck on not being last.

#7046465 - 05/02/13 09:48 AM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: ]
dirtyS13drifta
Unregistered

~6 miles, probably 1k of vert?
8:50 Pace.
Better than I expected for hating hills. I had too much left in the tank. I was full sprinting downhill on a dirt road to finish and still felt fresh within a couple minutes.

On the downhills I can't move my feet fast enough with obstacles. Still could gain on most my pace group, but felt a little out of control.
Practice will help I'm sure.
On the uphills I'm one of the first people to revert to walking. That said, I actually wasn't loosing much ground the people at my pace just by brisk walking. It seems like some people feel like they have to "run" for it to count(they're really just jogging). In such a short race any time spent moving that slow(4.5mph-ish) seems wasted. SO basically I need to toughen up.

Flats I felt great though, I was passsing comfortably the minute it got flat.

This was my first tail race in about 10 months. Last year I wasn't running much, so I was doing 10-11 minute paces. I feel much stronger as a runner. I had run some of the same trails for my accidental 11.8miles last month, which really helped me mentally. I didn't look at the map enough though, because I thought I had more uphill left than I did and I think I "saved" too much.

4 more races in the series!

#7047025 - 05/02/13 01:10 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: ]
I PITY THE FOOL!
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: dirtyS13drifta
Better than I expected for hating hills. I had too much left in the tank. I was full sprinting downhill on a dirt road to finish and still felt fresh within a couple minutes.

On the downhills I can't move my feet fast enough with obstacles. Still could gain on most my pace group, but felt a little out of control.
On the uphills I'm one of the first people to revert to walking. That said, I actually wasn't loosing much ground the people at my pace just by brisk walking. It seems like some people feel like they have to "run" for it to count(they're really just jogging). In such a short race any time spent moving that slow(4.5mph-ish) seems wasted. SO basically I need to toughen up.

This was my first tail race in about 10 months. Last year I wasn't running much, so I was doing 10-11 minute paces. I feel much stronger as a runner. I had run some of the same trails for my accidental 11.8miles last month, which really helped me mentally. I didn't look at the map enough though, because I thought I had more uphill left than I did and I think I "saved" too much.

Nice! Hills are somewhere that you have to suck it up and save energy some time. I am bad about that myself, my thinking is that even if I'm not moving very fast I am carrying momentum to when it flattens out, versus walking/power hiking I feel like its hard to get that momentum back.
Keep it up man!

#7047054 - 05/02/13 01:20 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Ampsman in Extremis]
dirtyS13drifta
Unregistered

See, I feel the minute it mellows out pitch my lungs feel amazing. It's like I'm getting compressed air given to me. So I have no problem moving again. My feet feel like feathers.

Yeah, I had a blast. I thought I'd burn more on this one, but I finished the race feeling very good. So time to turn it up a bit more for next time. Still, I'm not unhappy with my pace. I did 12 miles in 2 hours about a month ago. I think I need to start ramping my milage and shoot for a longer distance soon. This series runs through May, so I'll probably aim for breaking 8min pace offroad by series end, while ramping up a bit. Then get back above 20 miles a week in June.

#7047108 - 05/02/13 01:38 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: ]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

20 mile bike/7.5 mile run brick last night at 9:00. 6 mile run/1 mile swim brick this morning at 9:00. I need a freaking nap!

#7047119 - 05/02/13 01:41 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: ]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: dirtyS13drifta

Nice job man. Those hills will get easier. Just gotta run more hills. \:D

#7047420 - 05/02/13 02:53 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Sir Ironpool]
dirtyS13drifta
Unregistered

I'll say I didn't hate teh hills as much as I normally do. I knew they were too long for me to power through, and realizing that a 4.5mph walk is easier than a 4.5mph jog helped. Even a 4.7mph jog would have been wasting energy for the given speed I realized. I'd run the gentler stretches. But yeah, my hill skills need some work, but they'll get there. If I can get just a little stronger on them I'll move back to the slow run and I think that'll really bring my avg speed up.

Not that this is the right post for it. But I've also hit a new PR in bench today, and tied my PR in squats(especially good given the hills on 18 hours ago). Feeling like a stud today.

#7047507 - 05/02/13 03:16 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: ]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

One technique that works well for me is to shorten your stride way up (like way exaggerated) and make sure your hips are over your feet. WE all tend to want to lean into it and that uses your lower legs, which are far less efficient at climbing than the quads and glutes are. If you are planted over your feet you'll use those bigger muscles and it will be easier.

#7047539 - 05/02/13 03:33 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Sir Ironpool]
dirtyS13drifta
Unregistered

I try to always keep leg turnover in mind, so I tend to have shorter strides. But I'll test out what you're saying next time I'm out on some hills.
#7050331 - 05/04/13 01:38 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Sir Ironpool]
2000SiRacer Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Colorado
April was a good month of training for me! 302 miles on the month with a 101 mile week and 4 longer runs of 20-35 miles. I got more done, training wise, in April than I did in all of Jan-Mar for my last race. Here's to a good taper and not blowing up next weekend

I've also juggled stuff on my calendar and am waffling on whether to sign up for UROC. I really want to run this one. It's going to have a huge turnout with lots of the front runners showing up for a shot at that rare prize money. It's also 2 hours away from me, which makes it even more appealing. My concern is that Aug/Sep is already really busy with 3 races between Aug 3 and Sep 14. This would be two weeks later on Sep 28th. Part of me thinks it's too much and I'm asking for trouble, but I still want to sign up and give myself the option to run. It'd be more of a "get out and enjoy the trails and awesome race day atmosphere before it gets cold" thing than a harder race effort (but you know how that race day adrenaline does funny things). I'd also have a big break with nothing on the calendar until my last race of the season 8 weeks later. I'm telling myself I'm going to take off running from Thanksgiving to New Year after such a busy fall too, so I'm rationalizing the busy fall schedule every which way I can

How's everyone else doing? Anyone else with events in May?

#7050577 - 05/04/13 06:25 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: 2000SiRacer]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

Thats some big mileage!

I have an olympic tri next weekend, and thats it on the schedule for now. Getting into the busy summertime so racing will be fairly minimal, but training will continue to get intense over the next 4 months as I get ready for Ironman Lake Tahoe.

I might be pacing a friend of mine at Western States for 20 miles...it all depends on whether my brother wants to do the full last 40 with him. Either way I'll be up on the course crewing for him.

#7051590 - 05/05/13 04:19 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Sir Ironpool]
slackereg6 Offline

Anybody ever done the Vegas marathon? It seems like it might be fun and I like that it is at night because I am lazy and hate mornings.

#7051678 - 05/05/13 05:24 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: slackereg6]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

First year was a total clusterfuck I heard...but I think they've got alot of the kinks worked out.

My problem with it is that I know full well what the rest of Vegas (other than the strip) looks like, and have NO desire to run there.

#7051800 - 05/05/13 06:53 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Sir Ironpool]
2000SiRacer Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Colorado
I might be pacing a friend of mine at Western States for 20 miles...it all depends on whether my brother wants to do the full last 40 with him. Either way I'll be up on the course crewing for him.

Either way, I'm in for a full write up with lots of cool pictures. That's going to be an amazing weekend, man

And it probably goes without saying, but I'm super jealous. One day...she will be mine

Page 59 of 148 « First<5758596061>Last »

Moderator:  Silock, Professor Paki 
Hop to:
Shout Box

CSi Sponsors

DiGBiC Lighters
DiGBiC Lighters
DallasColo
Dallas Colocation
ClubSi.com Shirts
ClubSi-Shirts
GameStop
Black-Friday Specials
Big Brake Kits
StopTech.Sale BBK Clearance
Brake Kits
Buy Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
BuyBrakes
Brake Kits-Pads & Rotors Sets
StopTech Brake Kits
StopTech
StopTech NZ
StopTech
StopTech Australia
StopTech
Hawk Brake Pads
Hawk Brake Pads
Samys Camera
GoPros, Cameras, Gear
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Pad Coupons
Coupon Code "hondafetish"
Porsche Brakes
Porsche Brake Upgrades
2-Piece Rotors-Civic Type-R
2-Piece Civic Rotors
Advertisement

| Brake Pads | | How To Change Brake Pads | | Drilled Slotted Brake Kits Cheap | EBC Brake Kits | Performance Brake Kits | Brake Specials Near Me | How To Replace Brake Pads