Page 57 of 148 « First<5556575859>Last »
Topic Options
#6946010 - 03/11/13 11:44 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Sir Ironpool]
Corytrade Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: NorCal
So right now I am running one short run (3-4mi slow pace), one medium run (6mi race pace) and then one long run (going for 13.5 this week, I would like to add ~2miles week). I was just planning on making it so by the time of the race, it would be lined up with my long run. Am I being too naive here? Should I start running a couple extra 6-7 mile runs during the week? 40-50 miles a week just seems like I would be sore all time. Right now i am enjoying be fully mobile with no pain the day after my runs.
#6946599 - 03/12/13 11:06 AM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Corytrade]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Long Beach, CA
The thing is, you need to train your body to run while its sore and tired. I mean, you could probably go out at your current fitness and walk your way to a finish of a 50k in 8 hours, but to me that is disrespecting the distance. It's a race ya know?

My only advice is...what's the hurry? Why not enter a few shorter trail races and train for those first? There are hundreds of ultras out there now, so you can always sign up for another when you have more training in. I'd just hate to see you get injured by ramping up too quickly, or havea miserable death-march of a race.

#6946830 - 03/12/13 12:31 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Sir Ironpool]
Corytrade Offline
Post Master Supreme

Yeah, I hear yeah. I do realize that adding mileage per week is not a linear function, it will slowly become harder to increase overall distance on my longer runs.

I guess there isn't a big hurry. I am just so interested now, that I want to give myself a goal before interest fades. I don't have as much interest in a marathon, because like you said the community aspect of it isn't there. You are just running next to a bunch of people for 4 hours. Whereas on most ultras, is seems that the participation is limited and the vibe is much more relaxed in a sense. Plus you get cooler shit for finishing an ultra. I'm not gonna lie, things like a cool belt buckles sway me.

Anyway, I have time to see how my training goes before the deadline. I'll have a better idea of my running limit by then. Thanks again for all of the advice.

#6948595 - 03/13/13 11:44 AM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Corytrade]
Ampsman in Extremis Offline
I PITY THE FOOL!
Post Master Supreme

Loc: San Jose, Ca, USA
Ramping back up my mileage after my injury and going to try and get a 20-22 miler on the trail this weekend for a real test.
My 50k is 5 weeks from saturday and my 50 miler is 3 weeks after that.
I have fallen in love with the pure grit 2, I've been using them for every run...road or trail.

Paki: 3:36

#6949487 - 03/13/13 03:58 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Ampsman in Extremis]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

Good luck man! I'm already thinking about trying to squeeze another 50k in before I start my training for Lake Tahoe, lol.

#6949668 - 03/13/13 05:24 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Sir Ironpool]
Back 5 Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: CA
My legs have been getting progressively worse, as in my shins and ankles have been hurting more and more as I get beyond a mile or more.

My gf (she is a xcountry and track coach) is going to come up with a long term running plan that I am not allowed to deviate from. Going to take a week off, let me legs heal up, and I will go back to basics. Running a mile at a time for a couple weeks and slowly adding 1/4 miles.

I was thinking of joining a running group and see if there is anything wrong with my form. She says it looks fine, but something has to be going on for my legs to react this way.

Either that or my body is just not used to running and I have to baby step my way into it.

#6949677 - 03/13/13 05:31 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Back 5]
I PITY THE FOOL!
Post Master Supreme

I know you are supposed to listen to your body...but have you tried just powering thru the pain during a run and see if it goes away?
Honestly, my ankle didnt really start feeling alot better till I got out and ran and pushed thru the pain.
I dont know if it just needed to be loosened/stretched or what but it feels great now.

#6949719 - 03/13/13 06:02 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Ampsman in Extremis]
Back 5 Offline
Post Master Supreme

I'm worried about experiencing something like my compartment syndrome. Don't want to go through anything like that again.

#6949784 - 03/13/13 06:36 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Back 5]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

I know you say you don't like running is shoes with too much cushion, but some people just arent meant to run in minimalist (or in your case racing flats). I known if I race longer than a half marathon in my flats, it beats the hell out of my legs.

It might be worth looking into something with a bit more substance to it. I cant say enough about either the Kswiss Kwicky Blade Lights, or the Blade Light Runs.

#6949884 - 03/13/13 07:49 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Sir Ironpool]
Lividentity Offline
Major Member

Loc: Gehenna
It's funny I checked on this and I see Corytrade talking about doing an ultra.

I'm really interested in it (mostly all of you guys to blame) and might be signing up for my first.

I have my firsts marathon on June 2, and I found an ultra on Oct 5. That gives me roughly 1 week of rest after the marathon and then 17 weeks to train. I think that's enough time, or so I hope so.

I'm more interested in those longer endurance runs, though I am in no means a fast runner as it is. I am thinking I can hit a 4:30 marathon, but going for a 4:45, being first time I have no idea what to expect.

Do you think signing up for a 50k is an insane thing to do before even having done a marathon? I'm loving running and want to have goals to achieve.

Also, I'm not in a trail running haven, so unfortunately I really don't think I'll be able to do a lot of training on trails, though I'll do what I can. Fortunately my area is very hilly so I can definitely do hill workouts at least.

#6949899 - 03/13/13 07:58 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Sir Ironpool]
Back 5 Offline
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: Mrs. Ironmom
I know you say you don't like running is shoes with too much cushion, but some people just arent meant to run in minimalist (or in your case racing flats). I known if I race longer than a half marathon in my flats, it beats the hell out of my legs.

It might be worth looking into something with a bit more substance to it. I cant say enough about either the Kswiss Kwicky Blade Lights, or the Blade Light Runs.

I tried running in my Kinvara2's then I switched over to my flats. It felt like I couldn't land on my forefoot with such bulky shoes on.

Perhaps I'm over pronating, which is resulting in the anteriorlateral leg pain. I'll look into it and see if I can research anything.

#6950011 - 03/13/13 08:57 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Back 5]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

Forefoot landing isn't the only "right" way to run. ;). Plenty of heel strikers that run for years and years injury free.

#6950039 - 03/13/13 09:14 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Sir Ironpool]
MonkeyStillAlive Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: Sunny FL
I'm getting faster. :-)

#6950105 - 03/13/13 10:02 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Sir Ironpool]
Back 5 Offline
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: Mrs. Ironmom
Forefoot landing isn't the only "right" way to run. ;). Plenty of heel strikers that run for years and years injury free.

I'm just trying to find "any" way to run right now \:\)

#6950804 - 03/14/13 10:17 AM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Lividentity]
Corytrade Offline
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: Lividentity
It's funny I checked on this and I see Corytrade talking about doing an ultra.

I'm really interested in it (mostly all of you guys to blame) and might be signing up for my first.

I have my firsts marathon on June 2, and I found an ultra on Oct 5. That gives me roughly 1 week of rest after the marathon and then 17 weeks to train. I think that's enough time, or so I hope so.

I'm more interested in those longer endurance runs, though I am in no means a fast runner as it is. I am thinking I can hit a 4:30 marathon, but going for a 4:45, being first time I have no idea what to expect.

Do you think signing up for a 50k is an insane thing to do before even having done a marathon? I'm loving running and want to have goals to achieve.

Also, I'm not in a trail running haven, so unfortunately I really don't think I'll be able to do a lot of training on trails, though I'll do what I can. Fortunately my area is very hilly so I can definitely do hill workouts at least.

Glad to see there's another new guy who is also getting into ultra running. I don't see why signing up for a 50k before a marathon would be crazy. If anything it forces you to stay focused because you are more invested, like I said before I am training straight for an ultra. A 4:30 marathon time is nothing to scoff at, most people don't walk 26 miles in the entire month, so be proud when you do it. Good luck and keep us posted on your training. Post your kicks in the running shoe thread if you haven't.

#6955354 - 03/16/13 02:40 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Corytrade]
Corytrade Offline
Post Master Supreme

So I've been out of commision this whole week. I got a stomach bug or something, been shitting like crazy all week. I tried to do a 3-miler on Tuesday and damn near shit my pants. Sucks because I doubt I'm going to be able to do my long run tomorrow. I'm thinking about doing some cycing instead just to keep the cardio up.
#6955745 - 03/16/13 09:12 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Corytrade]
I PITY THE FOOL!
Post Master Supreme

I've been there...and not because I was sick, just because running makes me shit.
Got in a nice run today...ankle felt good but is a little sore now.
Hopefully didnt aggravate it.

21.4mi
Distance
3,031ft
Elevation
03:04:22
Moving Time
8:37/mi
Avg Pace
Calories

#6955750 - 03/16/13 09:18 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Ampsman in Extremis]
I PITY THE FOOL!
Post Master Supreme

Grabbed a couple cool pics after I headed back down the hill.

#6955820 - 03/16/13 10:11 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Ampsman in Extremis]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

Holy shit man...you're getting FAST! You're gonna kill it in that 50k.

#6956292 - 03/17/13 12:28 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Sir Ironpool]
I PITY THE FOOL!
Post Master Supreme

we'll see...my 50k has almost 8k of elevation.

#6964228 - 03/21/13 12:19 AM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Ampsman in Extremis]
Corytrade Offline
Post Master Supreme

So I went back out today for the first time in a week. My gut/shit has finally stabilized to about normal. Just did another 3 miler with the wife and everything seemed pretty normal. Gonna probably do a light 8 miles this weekend, and get back to my goal of 13.6 by next weekend.
#6970765 - 03/24/13 09:44 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Corytrade]
I PITY THE FOOL!
Post Master Supreme

You ever have those weeks where you feel like you are at fitness level zero?
It was like every run this week was a battle. \:\(

#6975721 - 03/26/13 11:14 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Ampsman in Extremis]
Corytrade Offline
Post Master Supreme

Yeah, man I hear you. I know I am relatively new to the longer runs, but a 6 miler last week damn near killed me. It made me feel like there was no way I was going to do a double digit run this weekend.

Keep hanging in there though. You'll break through it. BTW, I go down to the Bay alot (Milpitas native), maybe I can hit a trail run with you sometime.

#6976391 - 03/27/13 10:53 AM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Ampsman in Extremis]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: ampsman
You ever have those weeks where you feel like you are at fitness level zero?
It was like every run this week was a battle. \:\(

Yep. \:\(

For me it's been realizing that Im probably still a little fatigued from my race, even though I feel fine and want to run, it's just once I get a few miles in, the energy levels drop off the chart. Trying hard to hit 200 miles for the month...just because. Gonna be close.

#6976563 - 03/27/13 12:01 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Sir Ironpool]
trdFLip Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Chandler, AZ
Hey quick question guys, is there a pre cardio supplements I can take before going for a run? Is light breakfast or empty stomach better? I usually feel weak and sluggish I'm doing a cardio in the morning.

Edited by trdFLip (03/27/13 12:03 PM)

#6976639 - 03/27/13 12:26 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: trdFLip]
MonkeyStillAlive Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: Sunny FL
I like to have food in my stomach before I exercise, especially if i'll be running any long distances. You have to have fuel to be able to perform you know. If I run in the morning, I'll usually eat a bowl of cheerios or a bagel.
#6976765 - 03/27/13 01:03 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: trdFLip]
Cheesegoggles Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Here
 Originally Posted By: trdFLip
Hey quick question guys, is there a pre cardio supplements I can take before going for a run? Is light breakfast or empty stomach better? I usually feel weak and sluggish I'm doing a cardio in the morning.

I think it all depends on the person. I can run for up to an hour on an empty stomach, and when I run first thing in the morning that is what I do.

#6976912 - 03/27/13 01:41 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Cheesegoggles]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: CheeseCray
 Originally Posted By: trdFLip

I think it all depends on the person. I can run for up to an hour on an empty stomach, and when I run first thing in the morning that is what I do.

This. For training I rarely have anything before a run in the morning. For races I try and fuel up as best I can.

I have found that I really like the Gatorade Prime pouches. Suck one down before a long workout and it works really well for me.

#6976993 - 03/27/13 02:11 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Sir Ironpool]
I PITY THE FOOL!
Post Master Supreme

I need to start working on this, my last couple 20+ I have gone out on an empty stomach and probably could have done better with a little fuel.

#6977228 - 03/27/13 04:04 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Corytrade]
I PITY THE FOOL!
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: Corytrade
Yeah, man I hear you. I know I am relatively new to the longer runs, but a 6 miler last week damn near killed me. It made me feel like there was no way I was going to do a double digit run this weekend.

Keep hanging in there though. You'll break through it. BTW, I go down to the Bay alot (Milpitas native), maybe I can hit a trail run with you sometime.

For sure! Hit me on PM and we can figure something out. We can do some hills at Rancho San Antonio!

#6978252 - 03/28/13 09:00 AM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Ampsman in Extremis]
Lividentity Offline
Major Member

Welp I went and did it. Signed up for the 50k at Oil Creek on October 5th. (http://www.oilcreek100.org/Home)

Training is going well. I did 14 miles last Saturday (longest run ever so far) and have a 15 miler this Saturday. I didn't run for 3 days and last night did 7 miles in 58:31, which I know that's recovery speed for some of you guys, well for me that's extremely quick! So I'm proud of that.

I started reading Relentless Forward Progress and it is interesting so far. With lots of typos, lol.

#6982610 - 03/30/13 03:26 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Lividentity]
I PITY THE FOOL!
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: Lividentity
Welp I went and did it. Signed up for the 50k at Oil Creek on October 5th. (http://www.oilcreek100.org/Home)

Training is going well. I did 14 miles last Saturday (longest run ever so far) and have a 15 miler this Saturday. I didn't run for 3 days and last night did 7 miles in 58:31, which I know that's recovery speed for some of you guys, well for me that's extremely quick! So I'm proud of that.

I started reading Relentless Forward Progress and it is interesting so far. With lots of typos, lol.

Nice! Thats plenty of time to get ready for a 50k, especially if you're already knocking out 14.
I'm 3 weeks out from mine and feeling confident-ish.
Did 53 miles and about 4500 ft of elevation so far this week, including a 22 today.
It was a good run in that I fought thru it and knocked it out despite never really feeling that great, and it was bad in that I never felt great.
I'm hoping its just cause I need a rest day, ran the last 2 weeks straight and did 5x 1200m hill repeats on Wednesday that left me feeling kinda beat.

#6982821 - 03/30/13 08:25 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Ampsman in Extremis]
Lividentity Offline
Major Member

Yeah I'm excited for it. Got a half marathon coming up next Saturday. I've been able to do sub 2:15 halfs in my training runs lately, so I'm excited to go for under 2:10 next Saturday at the race, since the first half I did was 2:18 I'd love to beat that time.

I did 15 miles today myself, when I uploaded it on Garmin I checked out your run and yours put mine to shame, lol. You're blazing fast man! Keep it up and can't wait to hear about the 50k you're doing soon!

#6982849 - 03/30/13 08:45 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Corytrade]
dirtyS13drifta
Unregistered

I guess I'll start checking in, since I'm apparently back in the saddle.
Tuesday; 3.5ish outside, roughly 8:30 minute pace. Felt good
Thursday: 2.65(i've got a loop across two bridges), roughly 8min pace. Got back inside and threw an extra mile on the treadmill. I thought about doing a double loop, I think next week I'll do that for my "long"
Friday: cycled both ways to work, now my ass hurts. Plus a 2 mile "walk"(30minutes) with co-workers to get them working out more.

Add in 2 days of weights, a day of snowboarding(cleaned up my tail grab and method, thanks) and a day of gardening and that makes up my 7 days.

Thinking I might got for stupid and add a 8 trail run tomorrow. I feel good as a whole. That will be my longest run in months, and I've only done 10+ in a week once in March. What could go wrong?!?

#6982861 - 03/30/13 09:00 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: ]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

As of my run today I'm at 198 miles for the month. I plan to tack on another 6 tomorrow afternoon on the Kona Coast of the Big Island.

Page 57 of 148 « First<5556575859>Last »

Moderator:  Silock, Professor Paki 
Hop to:
Shout Box

CSi Sponsors

DiGBiC Lighters
DiGBiC Lighters
DallasColo
Dallas Colocation
ClubSi.com Shirts
ClubSi-Shirts
GameStop
Black-Friday Specials
Big Brake Kits
StopTech.Sale BBK Clearance
Brake Kits
Buy Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
BuyBrakes
Brake Kits-Pads & Rotors Sets
StopTech Brake Kits
StopTech
StopTech NZ
StopTech
StopTech Australia
StopTech
Hawk Brake Pads
Hawk Brake Pads
Samys Camera
GoPros, Cameras, Gear
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Pad Coupons
Coupon Code "hondafetish"
Porsche Brakes
Porsche Brake Upgrades
2-Piece Rotors-Civic Type-R
2-Piece Civic Rotors
Advertisement

| Brake Pads | | How To Change Brake Pads | | Drilled Slotted Brake Kits Cheap | EBC Brake Kits | Performance Brake Kits | Brake Specials Near Me | How To Replace Brake Pads