Page 55 of 148 « First<5354555657>Last »
Topic Options
#6876811 - 02/04/13 03:38 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Sir Ironpool]
Ampsman in Extremis Offline
I PITY THE FOOL!
Post Master Supreme

Loc: San Jose, Ca, USA
 Originally Posted By: Mrs. Ironmom
No real bonk, as I ran the whole thing other than walking through 2 aid stations to make sure some of the sports drink actually went in my mouth instead of down my shirt...and aerobically I felt fine too (was never really breathing heavy). It was more just overall feeling of being tired and worn down. I tried going faster, but my body just wouldn't respond. The inner quads started threatening to cramp with about 2 to go...thankfully that never happened!

Pretty sure the fitness was there, just a noob mistake on my part. You know how it is, once you let yourself turn it into a head game...it's only going downhill. At mile 3 I was obsessing over making up the time I needed instead of focusing on turnover and keeping an even pace.

In the end Im pretty happy with my results though.
I probably need 4 or 5 days of recovery, then I'll be hitting the trails as much as I can in the next few weeks. I'm really looking forward to a nice 8-9 minute pace at Way Too Cool. : D

Its gonna be so nice being on the trails after all the stress of that race.
Is there alot of elevation at way too cool?

I did my 3rd 20+ trail run of the year on saturday, im fucking addicted.

Paki: 3:36

#6876859 - 02/04/13 04:03 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Ampsman in Extremis]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Long Beach, CA
Damn dude...that's impressive! W2C isn't too bad elevation wise, it's about 5000 feet of change. It's mostly in a couple big climbs up and out of the American River Canyon.

#6878726 - 02/05/13 02:07 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Sir Ironpool]
micah Offline
Tight Knit Marriage
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Columbia, SC
Ran a new PR 18:58 5k training run last night. So much for taking it easy.

YOU FUCKER

Quote:
Just wasnt feeling it today, and made a classic mistake of going too hard too early

I've been browsing my friend's book "Run Less, Run Faster". The dude harps on getting a good split and says that if your first half is more than two minutes faster than your second half, you're fucked and you're never going to experience a moment of happiness ever again. He backs it up to an extent; I'm going to give it a more thorough read before I try to qualify this fall.

http://www.amazon.com/Runners-World-Less-Faster-Revolutionary/dp/159486649X

#6878746 - 02/05/13 02:16 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: micah]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

Yeah man....I knew I had to get into that headspace where I was just cruising at a steady pace and to let the miles click off, but once I started thinking that I had time I had to make up...it was a lost cause. All I could do was obsess over the math of what I had to do.

It's all good though. Gonna focus on this 50k next month, then it's back to tris until the Ironman in August....then maybe I'll give it another shot.

#6880574 - 02/06/13 08:51 AM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Sir Ironpool]
2000SiRacer Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Colorado
Sorry you didn't make the qualifying cut...but I have a hard time feeling truly sorry for a 3:20 marathon and a sub-19:00 5K in the same week or two. Especially when you started running/jogging how many years ago? Great work, killer time and I fully expect you to get that 3:10 in the not too distant future.

A good friend of mine just ran the Groundhog Day Marathon in Grand Rapids, MI this past weekend. It was his second marathon in 8 days, there was 6-8" of snow on the ground at the start and it was a 6x loop course so he broke trail the first loop and was passing runners the rest of the day.

(he's not the guy in yellow, I just pulled these photos off a news site)

And he still ran a 2:58 and won himself a hand carved groundhog trophy

He was one of the sub-24hr finishers in our Leadville group this past August too. I should tell more stories about him and his wife because their exploits are incredible. The marathon they ran the weekend before was on trails, with snow and was run start to finish in the dark. He placed second there and his wife placed first. And this summer they're through hiking the CDT, the last of the triple crown for them. These guys are really living the dream, IMO.

#6880697 - 02/06/13 09:35 AM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: 2000SiRacer]
Impulsive Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Edmonton
Nice. I routinely run in snow (both powder and horribly uneven, semi packed trails). My time suffers by about 90 seconds per mile.

He's obviously a fast mofo.

#6880752 - 02/06/13 09:52 AM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Impulsive]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

That's all kinds of badass!

#6880917 - 02/06/13 10:46 AM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Sir Ironpool]
Back 5 Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: CA
Ran for the first time today in 5-6 months. Felt awkward as hell running again and on a treadmill. I could only muster out 1.5 miles in 15.00. I didn't want to push too hard with my knee and surgeries etc, but I still felt kinda tired

Hopefully my recovery and rebound into running is seamless and quick.

#6889969 - 02/10/13 10:56 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Back 5]
I PITY THE FOOL!
Post Master Supreme

Well fuck...weird pain below my ankle on the inside of my left foot.
Did some research and it seems like it might be some sort of tendonitis.
I couldnt even run a mile on it this morning. \:\(

#6890057 - 02/11/13 12:20 AM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Ampsman in Extremis]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

Welcome to the world of overuse. \:\(

Hang in there man...you're fit as hell, you'll be over it quickly.

#6890063 - 02/11/13 12:28 AM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Ampsman in Extremis]
Rumbelstiltskin Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: So Cal
 Originally Posted By: ampsman
Well fuck...weird pain below my ankle on the inside of my left foot.
Did some research and it seems like it might be some sort of tendonitis.
I couldnt even run a mile on it this morning. \:\(
I have a weird pain below my ankle too. I feel it more when I'm just walking around at work.

#6890516 - 02/11/13 10:06 AM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Rumbelstiltskin]
Back 5 Offline
Post Master Supreme

Use a golfball and roll your foot out. Helps a lot with tendonitis, especially if it's related to your fascia. If it's higher into your ankle, trace the alphabet and get a theraband to rehab your inversion/eversion and dorsi/plantar flexion.

#6890531 - 02/11/13 10:14 AM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Impulsive]
Impulsive Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Edmonton
 Originally Posted By: Impetuous
Anyone know what to do with an inflamed Achilles? I don't want to stop running. I stretch, ice, wear more cushioned shoes, take a few more rest days, use Voltaren.

#6890617 - 02/11/13 10:47 AM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Impulsive]
Back 5 Offline
Post Master Supreme

Anyone know what to do with an inflamed Achilles? I don't want to stop running. I stretch, ice, wear more cushioned shoes, take a few more rest days, use Voltaren.

Unfortunately that's the best Rx man. Tendonitis is nothing to take lightly. I developed patellar tendonitis after my first knee surgery coming back to sport too quickly and it was 100x worse than surgery recovery.

What's your time worth to you? I would wager that taking a month off of running is much greater than potentially being hampered by an injury for 4-6 months if not treated correctly at the beginning.

If you are worried about cardio, biking and swimming will provide a great workout with little to no strain on your achilles.

#6890764 - 02/11/13 11:39 AM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Back 5]
I PITY THE FOOL!
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: Back 5
Use a golfball and roll your foot out. Helps a lot with tendonitis, especially if it's related to your fascia. If it's higher into your ankle, trace the alphabet and get a theraband to rehab your inversion/eversion and dorsi/plantar flexion.

Thanks for the info, there is a slightly swollen lump right below my ankle and the pain kinda radiates up the inside of my leg a bit.

#6890878 - 02/11/13 12:25 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Ampsman in Extremis]
Back 5 Offline
Post Master Supreme

Any weakness on that left side? Specifically standing on your toes or moving your foot inwards? How about pain into the great toe? If the pain isn't in your arch, but along ankle between your "ankle bone" and your achilles, that's a tendon sheath that you could have inflamed.

#6891076 - 02/11/13 01:31 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Back 5]
I PITY THE FOOL!
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: Back 5
Any weakness on that left side? Specifically standing on your toes or moving your foot inwards? How about pain into the great toe? If the pain isn't in your arch, but along ankle between your "ankle bone" and your achilles, that's a tendon sheath that you could have inflamed.

no pain or weakness in toes or arch.

#6892574 - 02/12/13 08:21 AM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Back 5]
2000SiRacer Offline
Post Master Supreme

I developed patellar tendonitis after a race in September, so here's my two cents on these types of injuries.

Rest, ice, etc are good for treating the symptoms but do nothing to address the root cause(s). I'm fortunate to have an old family friend who's a chiropractor and works with a lot of local triathletes. I was skeptical about going to a chiropractor, even an old friend like him, but it's made all the difference in the world. He's less about cracking joints and more about diagnosing musculoskeletal imbalances and prescribing routines to correct them. In my case my knee pain was actually coming from weak hips and glutes. Now I do specific stretches, strengthening exercises and targeted fascia stripping and I'm doing much better.

I don't know what to look for in a chiropractor or PT but if your area has a local triathlete/running group that'd probably be a good place to start. These niggling pains we get from running are often caused by easily correctable imbalances in our bodies, so why not address the imbalance instead of just treating the symptom?

#6894645 - 02/12/13 09:06 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: 2000SiRacer]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

Hit the trails today at Crystal Cove State Park. BEAUITIFUL day! Not a cloud in the sky, mid 50's, nobody else on the trails. This area has some killer steep climbs, and I felt great on them. Can't wait for this 50k.

#6896057 - 02/13/13 01:19 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Sir Ironpool]
Back 5 Offline
Post Master Supreme

I ran for 30mins for the first time in 4-5 months \:\( On a treadmill nonetheless

#6896406 - 02/13/13 02:56 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Back 5]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

Hey...baby steps. Just leave the fucking rugby alone, would ya? \:D

#6896482 - 02/13/13 03:24 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Sir Ironpool]
I PITY THE FOOL!
Post Master Supreme

Hit the trails today at Crystal Cove State Park. BEAUITIFUL day! Not a cloud in the sky, mid 50's, nobody else on the trails. This area has some killer steep climbs, and I felt great on them. Can't wait for this 50k.

Nice run man! I'm fucking jealousy. \:\(
Have an appointment with a sports therapist tomorrow.

#6896731 - 02/13/13 06:05 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Sir Ironpool]
Back 5 Offline
Post Master Supreme

Hey...baby steps. Just leave the fucking rugby alone, would ya? \:D

I just watched the Las Vegas 7s tournament as well as 6 Nations tournament in Europe...I've got the itch again!

No, I'm done...at least until med school. Can't wait to run the 5k Everest Challenge in May though, love that race.

I'm trying not to push hard though. I told my gf I would be upset if I wasn't down to a 20:00 5k by the end of the year

#6900175 - 02/15/13 10:43 AM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Back 5]
I PITY THE FOOL!
Post Master Supreme

So I went to the sports therapist yesterday.
My whole ankle was pretty sore/tight/swollen when I went in.
The dude worked the shit out of my whole calf/shin area, basically everywhere but the injured area.
Holy shit that was fucking excruciating, I had some crazy knots and shit all over down there.
He then gave me some exercises to do involving super slow foot/ankle movement.
I walked out of there feeling WAY better, still a little tight but way less sore.
Today the swelling is almost all gone and it feels alot better.
Gonna take it easy today and keep icing/elevating and maybe try to get out this weekend and see how it feels.

#6900516 - 02/15/13 12:30 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Ampsman in Extremis]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

:woot:

#6900645 - 02/15/13 01:10 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Ampsman in Extremis]
Back 5 Offline
Post Master Supreme

So I went to the sports therapist yesterday.
My whole ankle was pretty sore/tight/swollen when I went in.
The dude worked the shit out of my whole calf/shin area, basically everywhere but the injured area.
Holy shit that was fucking excruciating, I had some crazy knots and shit all over down there.
He then gave me some exercises to do involving super slow foot/ankle movement.
I walked out of there feeling WAY better, still a little tight but way less sore.
Today the swelling is almost all gone and it feels alot better.
Gonna take it easy today and keep icing/elevating and maybe try to get out this weekend and see how it feels.

Do you have a marathon stick? They aren't great for working on ankles, wrists etc because of its size and the need to use 2 hands. I recommend you pick up a gua sha tool or make one yourself out of plexiglass. I bet Mr. Mom could get a decent side business out of it as he has all the fun tools to make this stuff in his garage.

Anyway, with a gua sha tool (you could also use a spoon) and some lotion, you can break down scar tissue in your ankles and work out a lot of the swelling similarly to how the physio did for you.

Something to think about for home remedies.

#6901144 - 02/15/13 04:51 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Back 5]
Trucks Offline
Post Master

Loc: Brooklyn, NY
Just registered for the Brooklyn Half Marathon which will be my first half marathon. It's on May 18. I've run 10-12 miles quite a few times and 13.1 once but the longest I've run in a race is 10k. Pretty excited.

#6901298 - 02/15/13 06:49 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Trucks]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

Awesome....I'm jealous.

#6901312 - 02/15/13 07:06 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: 2000SiRacer]
gamby Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: RI
 Originally Posted By: 2000SiRacer
I developed patellar tendonitis after a race in September, so here's my two cents on these types of injuries.

Rest, ice, etc are good for treating the symptoms but do nothing to address the root cause(s). I'm fortunate to have an old family friend who's a chiropractor and works with a lot of local triathletes. I was skeptical about going to a chiropractor, even an old friend like him, but it's made all the difference in the world. He's less about cracking joints and more about diagnosing musculoskeletal imbalances and prescribing routines to correct them. In my case my knee pain was actually coming from weak hips and glutes. Now I do specific stretches, strengthening exercises and targeted fascia stripping and I'm doing much better.

Any links to those stretches/exercises???

I haven't run in 6 weeks now (body is back to square one now) and have only ridden my bike trainer for cardio since fucking my knee in early January. It's still sore, so I might not go back to running at all, but any new stretches are welcome.

I'll be back on the road on my bike in another couple of weeks (assuming no new blizzards), but I'd LOVE to run again just so I can try a tri.

still have an EM1--go figure

#6903491 - 02/17/13 05:55 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: gamby]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

Did another 9 mile trail run yesterday with a friend of mine. He's a good runner, but is coming off a little break, so we went slower than I would have. Turned out to a great time though...over 2000ft of elevation. I would power up all the hills and wait for him at the top. Ended up being a great workout on an unseasonably warm day (hit almost 80). That makes 3 trail runs and 52 miles 5 total for the week.

3 weeks till race day.

#6903877 - 02/17/13 10:06 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Sir Ironpool]
I PITY THE FOOL!
Post Master Supreme

Whole week of no running. \:\(
Losing my mind and im driving my wife crazy.
I know I havent lost any fitness in just a week but im still going nuts.
Might need another week off.
I was reading a post by anton about injuries and he said the easiest injury to deal with was his broken leg because he knew there was no option for running when you have a cast on, but when you have a nagging injury you feel like you should still be out there.

#6904156 - 02/18/13 06:59 AM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: gamby]
2000SiRacer Offline
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: g@mby

I haven't run in 6 weeks now (body is back to square one now) and have only ridden my bike trainer for cardio since fucking my knee in early January. It's still sore, so I might not go back to running at all, but any new stretches are welcome.

I'll be back on the road on my bike in another couple of weeks (assuming no new blizzards), but I'd LOVE to run again just so I can try a tri.

I think the underlying causes of patellar tendonitis differ from person to person, so the stretches tailored to my problems wouldn't necessarily help you at all. With that said, my knee problems have been corrected by:

- strengthening hips and glutes by doing deep squats with a band between my knees, pushing out against the band while under load

- stretching uppermost part of my quads

- fascia stripping along the outside of my upper quad and inside of the lower quad (near the affected knee)

- foam rolling both legs

- general core strengthening

#6904820 - 02/18/13 12:39 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Ampsman in Extremis]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

Whole week of no running. \:\(
Losing my mind and im driving my wife crazy.
I know I havent lost any fitness in just a week but im still going nuts.
Might need another week off.
I was reading a post by anton about injuries and he said the easiest injury to deal with was his broken leg because he knew there was no option for running when you have a cast on, but when you have a nagging injury you feel like you should still be out there.

I know how you feel man....and it sucks big time. All I can say is hang in there.

#6905055 - 02/18/13 02:24 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: 2000SiRacer]
gamby Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: RI
 Originally Posted By: g@mby

I think the underlying causes of patellar tendonitis differ from person to person, so the stretches tailored to my problems wouldn't necessarily help you at all. With that said, my knee problems have been corrected by:

- strengthening hips and glutes by doing deep squats with a band between my knees, pushing out against the band while under load

- stretching uppermost part of my quads

- fascia stripping along the outside of my upper quad and inside of the lower quad (near the affected knee)

- foam rolling both legs

- general core strengthening

I'll google fascia stripping. I still need to buy a foam roller.

I'll have to try some of this stuff out. It certainly can't hurt.

I don't feel like springing for another doc at the moment. Last time the then-undiagnosed tendonitis flared up (really badly), the $300 co-pay on the MRI turned up tendonitis and "rest and ibuprofen" were my only recommendations. I don't feel like shelling out another $300+ for a sports specialist.

still have an EM1--go figure

#6907409 - 02/19/13 02:45 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: gamby]
I PITY THE FOOL!
Post Master Supreme

So my ankle feels way better, little tightness but swelling is gone and it doesnt hurt at all.
I was thinking back and i had rolled my ankle the same place this injury popped up like 2 or 3 weeks prior.
I stopped and walked it off and it felt fine and I never thought twice about it.
Could this have been related to that?

Page 55 of 148 « First<5354555657>Last »

Moderator:  Silock, Professor Paki 
Hop to:
Shout Box

CSi Sponsors

DiGBiC Lighters
DiGBiC Lighters
DallasColo
Dallas Colocation
ClubSi.com Shirts
ClubSi-Shirts
GameStop
Black-Friday Specials
Big Brake Kits
StopTech.Sale BBK Clearance
Brake Kits
Buy Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
BuyBrakes
Brake Kits-Pads & Rotors Sets
StopTech Brake Kits
StopTech
StopTech NZ
StopTech
StopTech Australia
StopTech
Hawk Brake Pads
Hawk Brake Pads
Samys Camera
GoPros, Cameras, Gear
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Pad Coupons
Coupon Code "hondafetish"
Porsche Brakes
Porsche Brake Upgrades
2-Piece Rotors-Civic Type-R
2-Piece Civic Rotors
Advertisement

| Brake Pads | | How To Change Brake Pads | | Drilled Slotted Brake Kits Cheap | EBC Brake Kits | Performance Brake Kits | Brake Specials Near Me | How To Replace Brake Pads