Page 111 of 148 « First<109110111112113>Last »
Topic Options
#8122060 - 03/08/15 07:30 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Lividentity]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Long Beach, CA
This picture pretty much sums up my race. More a smile that it was over than one of happiness.

So my wife and kids have been sick and because my middle child stayed home from school on Friday, I didn't leave till 1pm, which means I didn't get to my brothers house till 8. Hung out and was asleep by 11, but not before noticing a small tickle in my chest and throat.

Was at the start by 6 and hung out till 8, the first 1.5 are mostl downhill on a paved road that dumps you onto some awesome singletrack with a knee high water crossing. It can be a real conga line with 1200 people starting the race, but it wasn't bad. I did trip and fly superman-style through the air at mile 4, but other than some scratches and a bruised ego, I carried on.
Back through the start/finish area and the first AS at mile 8 where I never stop and had fun on the 3 mile, fun descent down to the Hwy 49 crossing. From there you make your way into a gravel road that runs for 5 rolling miles along the American River. This was a tough spot for me. My leg muscles started complaining from the 3 days of snowboardingI did earlier in the week, and I just couldn't find a happy groove. My pace was still well under my goal of 9:45 though so I was just trying to ride it out.
After another AS we started climbing up into the hill we'd been running along the base of and slowly curved back to start heading towards home on the Robie Trail. This is a great trail that traverses the hillside with lots of shade and perfect singletrack. I finally found my groove and was rollng alng at a good clip and fnally passing people after nothing but getting passed. Ended up running a few miles with a smoking hot chick I know who wear the minimalist of clothes. \:D She was having a rough day so I passed her at the next AS still feeling strong. That little cough was there but only intermittently so I didn't worry about it.
At mile 23 you hit the biggest climb of the day at Goat Hill...a bitch that runs relentlessly straight up the hillside I watched my pace creep up from the 9:50 to a 10:08 (my failsafe was 9:59 which is sub 5:00) but I remembered it being mostly downhill from there. I remembered wrong, lol. There were some good descents but there were also a tn of little climbs that just worked me.
Finally made it to the second Hwy 49 crossing and saw my family. I smiled and said hello, even though I was hurting and blasted through the AS with 1 mile to go. I had like 8 minutes to cover that mile...but the bastards thrown in a steep, rocky, 1/4 mile climb and a few rollers before the last flat stretch to the finish. I watch 5 hours pass and said "fuck it"...I have to under 5:05. Put on a smile and finished strong.

I hung out for an hour or two with my brother and parents, then jumped straight in the car to head home. Everything was fine till traffics came to a halt 45 minutes from home. That's where I started shivering uncontrollable. Spent the last hour and a half with the heater cranked as high as it would go (it was 72 outside). Finally got home and colder even hold the house keys to get in I was shaking so bad. Took a scalding hot bath and went to bed only to wake up with the first full blown flu aive had in 4 years.

The end.

#8122078 - 03/08/15 07:57 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Sir Ironpool]
Lividentity Offline
Major Member

Loc: Gehenna
I've heard so many positive things about WTC, the race, weather, etc. Sounds like it is a pretty good race indeed.

Glad you pulled through it strong, a 5:05 is just a tad over 2 hours faster than my only 50k, so I'm gonna go ahead and say you rocked it, lol.

Good luck in getting better quick and getting back out there man! You did an awesome job so take a week off and get better. What's your next race?

#8122085 - 03/08/15 08:18 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Lividentity]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

Thanks man. Boston is up next.

#8122090 - 03/08/15 08:30 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Sir Ironpool]
Lividentity Offline
Major Member

Oh, right, because you're one of those fast runners. :P

That's awesome though. Glad to see people in here having success!

#8122163 - 03/08/15 09:54 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Lividentity]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

Lol, it's all relative. I'll be solid middle of the pack at Boston. \:\)

#8122799 - 03/09/15 12:27 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Sir Ironpool]
Design Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: The OC
Nice job Stickaz. That sub-2:10 is calling your name.

Chris I don't care if you missed a PR you still killed it! Sorry about the flu.

Bad news for the upcoming weekend. The LA Marathon will be a scorching 88* on race day. So I'm just going to focus on finishing the race in good spirits vs. trying for a sub-4 hr. run. We have friends we're meeting with afterwards for brunch; no need to cancel with a trip to the ER lol. Little bummed as I felt confident this time around, with a good 5 months of training put in.

On the plus side, had a fun relaxing race this Sunday with a couple friends from work. I had been doing a weekly slow run with one of my coworkers to get her ready for her first 10K. And the Coaster Run is a neat little 10K route in and out of Knott's Berry Farm & Soak City. Suffice to say she rocked it @ ~1:23:00, despite never running prior to a few months ago. My other coworker ran with me during the race (a taper run for me) to get a PR @ ~56:00.

I have 1 more 5 mile run tomorrow, an easy 2 miles Saturday, and then showtime. Counting down the days...
89 Camaro - Sold
CSI. What's your diversion?

#8123158 - 03/09/15 02:18 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Design]
Lividentity Offline
Major Member

Sounds like a nice 10k run. That LA Marathon is supposed to have some awesome talent doing it, and upper 80s is pretty damn hot so that will definitely take its toll.

Isn't it fun when you get a week with a few days off? I'm off M/W/F this week, but that's only because I'm doing 23 on Saturday and a half marathon Sunday, lol.

#8123167 - 03/09/15 02:22 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Lividentity]
stickaz_old Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Nor Cal, Hella hurr durr
I couldnt even imagine running the LA marathon [air quality, strike 1 and 2], then in the heat [strike 3], ugh. \:\(
hope you survive it ofc \:o

on a sidenote: my achilles tendinitis solution [stretching pre-post long run] seems to have gone away. I'm barely even sore on the left achilles area today 1-day after a 13.x long run. Phew

#8123240 - 03/09/15 02:59 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: stickaz_old]
Design Offline
Post Master Supreme

I did LA last year and it was an incredible experience. They had every detail covered from the crowd support to the communication to the post-run festivities. Last year's race was warm but not as hot as what's expected this Sunday. If I can finish under 4:20 I think I'll be happy.

Glad the ailment is subsiding Stickaz. Guess I won't be seeing you at Club Injured this week. \:\(

Edited by Design (03/09/15 03:05 PM)
89 Camaro - Sold

#8124628 - 03/10/15 01:09 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Design]
stickaz_old Offline
Post Master Supreme

CN: eat less fatty. I ran 20 miles last week even!

#8126088 - 03/11/15 11:58 AM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: stickaz_old]
stickaz_old Offline
Post Master Supreme

am I justified at all with whining about these little woopty hills on a route I do all the time during the week? This is a dirt/gravel/broken asphalt/beirut inspired broken-concrete/mud/runoff route, lots of hopping and mini-boulder dodging. They seriously mess with my pacing \:D
[yes I have seen the ampsman runs with like 2k vert in a 5k where his overall pace is better than my flat 5k pace lol]. I swear flat I would have held 9:00 without really trying. I think. Maybe. Well I've done it many times anyways

#8126496 - 03/11/15 02:45 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: stickaz_old]
Impulsive Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Edmonton
Started running in the morning again as spring is here. Amazing how I fly* for the first couple K, but my legs go dead halfway through a 7 mile run. Sucks getting up early, but also good to get it out of the way for the day.

*Birdman

#8126763 - 03/11/15 04:56 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: stickaz_old]
Ampsman in Extremis Offline
I PITY THE FOOL!
Post Master Supreme

Loc: San Jose, Ca, USA
 Originally Posted By: zakcits
am I justified at all with whining about these little woopty hills on a route I do all the time during the week? This is a dirt/gravel/broken asphalt/beirut inspired broken-concrete/mud/runoff route, lots of hopping and mini-boulder dodging. They seriously mess with my pacing \:D
[yes I have seen the ampsman runs with like 2k vert in a 5k where his overall pace is better than my flat 5k pace lol]. I swear flat I would have held 9:00 without really trying. I think. Maybe. Well I've done it many times anyways

and I was still a minute off the course record. \:\(

Paki: 3:36

#8126802 - 03/11/15 05:14 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Ampsman in Extremis]
stickaz_old Offline
Post Master Supreme

hang in there man, maybe one day you will be fast like me \:D

#8126862 - 03/11/15 06:02 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: stickaz_old]
Lividentity Offline
Major Member

Ampsman those times are nuts. You can climb like a mountain goat! The descent timing is really nice too. You have good downhill speed? I listen to URP a lot and they always talk about how hard it is to go fast downhill, because you feel like you're going to fall on your face, lol.

Also, sign up for Javelina, its going to be great. ;\)

#8126874 - 03/11/15 06:15 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Lividentity]
stickaz_old Offline
Post Master Supreme

wooo! saw 189.5# pre-swim and 190.5# post swim[WTH?] anyways, I'm taking it \:D
I'd guesstimate based on my last hydrostatic test data I'm down a percent or two of body fat but I'll find out I guess next month [assuming ~17% now, dont worry /stillfat]

#8127761 - 03/12/15 11:59 AM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: stickaz_old]
stickaz_old Offline
Post Master Supreme

#8127764 - 03/12/15 12:00 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: stickaz_old]
Design Offline
Post Master Supreme

Good job man. Keep at it!
89 Camaro - Sold

#8127795 - 03/12/15 12:11 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Lividentity]
I PITY THE FOOL!
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: Lividentity
Ampsman those times are nuts. You can climb like a mountain goat! The descent timing is really nice too. You have good downhill speed? I listen to URP a lot and they always talk about how hard it is to go fast downhill, because you feel like you're going to fall on your face, lol.

Also, sign up for Javelina, its going to be great. ;\)

I've been working a lot recently on downhill speed, I was tired of passing guys on the climbs and then getting blown by on the downhill. I'm still not great on technical downhill but definitely getting better.

#8127848 - 03/12/15 12:42 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Ampsman in Extremis]
Lividentity Offline
Major Member

That's some smart thinking there sir. I'm jealous of you guys having cool places to run, I have flat ass roads for miles and miles and miles lol.
#8127937 - 03/12/15 01:55 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Lividentity]
I PITY THE FOOL!
Post Master Supreme

That's some smart thinking there sir. I'm jealous of you guys having cool places to run, I have flat ass roads for miles and miles and miles lol.

ya, its pretty awesome.
I'm doing a race up in the marin headlands on saturday, one of my favorite places to run...amazing views everywhere. I'll probably get destroyed out there but at least it will be pretty.

#8127942 - 03/12/15 01:59 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Ampsman in Extremis]
Lividentity Offline
Major Member

They mention the Marin Headlands a lot on URP and Trail Runner Nation podcasts. It has to be pretty great from what I hear. Maybe sometime I'll actually get out to a real west coast race! I can just walk the uphills right?
#8128119 - 03/12/15 03:49 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Lividentity]
stickaz_old Offline
Post Master Supreme

I also have considered it /sorta local. Would probably bike it instead doe

#8129268 - 03/13/15 11:57 AM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Lividentity]
I PITY THE FOOL!
Post Master Supreme

They mention the Marin Headlands a lot on URP and Trail Runner Nation podcasts. It has to be pretty great from what I hear. Maybe sometime I'll actually get out to a real west coast race! I can just walk the uphills right?

Heres the elevation profile for tomorrows race, some crazy climbs but except for a few technical sections the trails are fucking butter out there. Its actually super runnable to, I think I maybe hiked one small section last year but ran everything else.

#8129423 - 03/13/15 12:57 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Ampsman in Extremis]
2000SiRacer Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Colorado
 Originally Posted By: ampsman

Heres the elevation profile for tomorrows race, some crazy climbs but except for a few technical sections the trails are fucking butter out there. Its actually super runnable to, I think I maybe hiked one small section last year but ran everything else.

God that's an awesome profile

Have fun out there, dude!

EDIT: so Golden Gate Dirty 30 is almost identical in climbing (7,250') but decidedly not buttery

One of these I'll actually sign up for and run TNF SF. Sounds like amazing terrain out there. Maybe that's the secret to your speed...

Edited by 2000SiRacer (03/13/15 01:00 PM)

#8130442 - 03/14/15 04:06 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: 2000SiRacer]
Cheesegoggles Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Here
So I have only run a handful of times since the marathon in January. I was exceptionally busy with work from about the first of February through the first week of March. But the result was worth it.

Got a flyer in the Mail about a 5k on May 17. We are going to sign up for that. Would like to train to PR. My current PR is a sad 24:48. It will depend on whether I can get my mother to come so I don't have to run it with a stroller.

#8130475 - 03/14/15 05:14 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Cheesegoggles]
SJP0tato Offline

Loc: Gilbert, Az
Well after 2 weeks, I'm feeling 100% recovered from the half marathon. I'm following my plan, and going to sign up for the Az R&R marathon (whenever registration opens) that's on Jan 17th, and also I've signed up for the 2016 Phoenix marathon on Feb 27th (as well as another local half-marathon in Nov as a rust buster run before the R&R).

The R&R will be my first full, and since it's so far away I've been debating how to go about training for it the past few weeks.
I've been holding steady right around 48-55 mpw for the past few months (this Thursday will be 100 days in a row), so I think what I'm going to try is begin Pfitzinger's 55-70mpw plan starting this coming Monday for the next 18 weeks. Then I'll have 2-3 weeks in-between time to assess how I feel, and I can then repeat the 18-week 55-70mpw plan, or if I'm really feeling good can bump up to the 70-85mpw plan for the race in Jan.

My race plan is to take it easy for the R&R in Jan, maybe target 30 seconds below my real race pace just to get the experience of my first marathon without a lot of pressure/unknowns, and see how it goes. Based on what I learn from that race, and since I'll be going easy, it should be no problem to recover and maintain for the Feb full to hit my goal finish (under 3:10 for Boston, stretch goal under 3:00 for honor/pain).

That's my plan at least, I'll see how it goes building up mileage a little over the next few months. Any input/suggestions are appreciated as always!

#8130514 - 03/14/15 06:23 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: SJP0tato]
stickaz_old Offline
Post Master Supreme

^ Jesus Christ \:D

And cheese goggles: I'm watching for that 5k \:D

#8131456 - 03/16/15 02:12 AM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: stickaz_old]
Design Offline
Post Master Supreme

Very nice guys. More races are always good. I think taking it easy the first marathon is a great way to ease into it. I did that last year and it allowed me to get a decent time at a 2nd marathon just 6 weeks after.

Finished the LA Marathon today and lived to tell about it lol. You guys may remember my decision to take this one really easy. Not having to pay the registration minimized any regrets. \:D Despite record temps in the high 80s/low 90s, it was a really enjoyable race. The organizers started the race 30 minutes earlier, removed all the time clocks and doubled the staff for the medical tents/water stations. Unfortunately, there were still a record amount of first aid runs on the course. And I was witness to seven of them. But it was reassuring to see the affected runners swarmed by concerned participants/spectators only seconds after they went down.

The first 13 miles weren't too bad. Temps ranged from the high 60s to low 80s. Kept a good target pace around 9:30-9:40, walking through every water station. But by 9 am the cloud cover was gone and the sun was in full force. Temps quickly climbed to the high 80s by mile 16. And I cut down my speed to 10-12 minute miles the rest of the course. My wife and friends were waiting at mile 22 with ice and water. Stopped to chat for a bit and take photos. By mile 24 the temps began to cool as we neared the ocean. Ended up finishing at a conservative 4:35:45.

The goal to get a sub-4 hr marathon may have to wait until next year. But the good news is that my previous ailments did not complain at all today. IT band and right calf felt awesome the entire route. No cramping either (obviously from the conservative pace). Post-race recovery has been unusually quick. Mild soreness which I would compare to a 15 mile training run.

Next up is a triathlon relay next Sunday. I am only doing the swim portion while my friends knock out the run/bike. Should be fun. \:D
89 Camaro - Sold

#8131865 - 03/16/15 11:46 AM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Design]
I PITY THE FOOL!
Post Master Supreme

Good job man! I heard it was brutal out there.
I got hit with some unexpected heat in Marin also, not as bad as LA heat but still pretty warm, especially with how exposed it was. I ran a pretty decent 35k and gutted out the last 15k, ended up finishing in 4:54. I just felt kinda meh all day, not really good, not really bad. It was my first ultra of the year though, so glad to have it out of the way and it was definitely some good training.

#8131889 - 03/16/15 11:57 AM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Ampsman in Extremis]
Lividentity Offline
Major Member

Your slowest mile was still under 15 mins with that elevation profile? You should be saying you are all that is man, not saying eh it was ok. You're nuts, lol.

I did an 18 mile run Saturday with a half-marathon yesterday, finished in 1:48, was surprised I could run as hard as I could with the long run before. My legs are sore today though!

#8131951 - 03/16/15 12:21 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Lividentity]
I PITY THE FOOL!
Post Master Supreme

Dont get me wring, I'm not complaining. I just think I could have had a better day based on how I felt.

Heres a sweet ass shot.

#8131963 - 03/16/15 12:25 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Ampsman in Extremis]
stickaz_old Offline
Post Master Supreme

Great job man!

#8132061 - 03/16/15 01:22 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: stickaz_old]
Lividentity Offline
Major Member

Wow that looks like a nice trail. Are all the trails out there that wide and groomed? No wonder you guys go out there and run on the trails so much lol.
#8132321 - 03/16/15 04:18 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Ampsman in Extremis]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

I see no ass in that shot.

Originally Posted By: ampsman
Dont get me wring, I'm not complaining. I just think I could have had a better day based on how I felt.

Heres a sweet ass shot.

Page 111 of 148 « First<109110111112113>Last »

Moderator:  Silock, Professor Paki 
Hop to:
Shout Box

CSi Sponsors

DiGBiC Lighters
DiGBiC Lighters
DallasColo
Dallas Colocation
ClubSi.com Shirts
ClubSi-Shirts
GameStop
Black-Friday Specials
Big Brake Kits
StopTech.Sale BBK Clearance
Brake Kits
Buy Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
BuyBrakes
Brake Kits-Pads & Rotors Sets
StopTech Brake Kits
StopTech
StopTech NZ
StopTech
StopTech Australia
StopTech
Hawk Brake Pads
Hawk Brake Pads
Samys Camera
GoPros, Cameras, Gear
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Pad Coupons
Coupon Code "hondafetish"
Porsche Brakes
Porsche Brake Upgrades
2-Piece Rotors-Civic Type-R
2-Piece Civic Rotors
Advertisement

| Brake Pads | | How To Change Brake Pads | | Drilled Slotted Brake Kits Cheap | EBC Brake Kits | Performance Brake Kits | Brake Specials Near Me | How To Replace Brake Pads