Page 109 of 148 « First<107108109110111>Last »
Topic Options
#8095518 - 02/16/15 09:41 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Design]
Rudi Offline

I had IT band issues as well...to the point where i had to stop mid run from the pain. I do leg swings front to back and side to side before, during and after runs. Haven't had issues in over a year and dont have to stop in the middle of a run and swing my legs to stretch.
#8095573 - 02/16/15 10:10 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Rudi]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Long Beach, CA
ITBS hit me once, in my second year of training and after my first time runnning 26.2. As soon as I went more than a mile..boom, it would stop me dead in my tracks. 6 weeks with zero running solved it and I've never had an issue since...thank god.

#8096332 - 02/17/15 01:05 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Sir Ironpool]
Design Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: The OC
Mine is exactly the opposite. Stiff when I start the run, then settles in after a short time. I've never done the leg swings but seen others do it. Might work those in as well.

The Ortho warned me the shoe lift would create some initial pain/discomfort for a while. But once the alignment shift is done it should be all gravy from there.
89 Camaro - Sold
CSI. What's your diversion?

#8096374 - 02/17/15 01:21 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Design]
stickaz_old Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Nor Cal, Hella hurr durr
How does this sound for my next 6 weeks? \:D
end of the 6 week period will be my 1/2 in SF [w/hills]

[I'll try to mostly stick to ~20 miles/week, which is up from my mostly ~15 miles/week from last year. I've been doing ~20 since middle of January]

Week 1: T/5k Tempo, R/moderate 5.0 miles, Sa Speedwork [12x400], Su Long Run [10-15] [21-26 miles]
Week 2: T/5K tempo, R/moderate 5.0 miles, Sa speedwork [6x800], Su 10k goal pace [w/warmup/warmdown] [~20 miles]
Week 3: T/5k tempo, R/moderate 5.0 miles, Sa speedwork [12x400], Su Long Run [10-15] [21-26 miles]
Week 4: T/5K tempo, R/moderate 5.0 miles, Sa speedwork [6x800], Su 10k goal pace [w/warmup/warmdown] [~20 miles]
Week 5: T/5k tempo, R/moderate 5.0 miles, Sa speedwork [12x400], Su Long Run [10-15] [21-26 miles]
week 6: T/5k @ goal pace, R/5k @ goal pace, F/2-miler @ goal pace, Sa Rest, Su, 1/2 race

my "goal pace" runs mean I shoot for 9:00/mile flat or so, tempo 5k [to me] means 8:30/mile, "long runs" are in the 10-10:30 pace. "Speedwork" means I run @ 5k pace lol 8:00 [in practice I usually go a bit faster on most of these but I think I shouldnt]

My thursday run is on a trail near work with about ~20 30' hills that I go up and down. My long-run on the weekend has a little bit of elevation also--either I'm going up the los gatos creek trail or attempting runs with hills on the coast. Trying to avoid flat ground at all costs as I remain terrified of the hill on the SF course at mile 0.25-- it's like 800' up over 1 mile lol

Thus will conclude the 'mostly running' portion of 2015 for me. Still working out in the pool 2+ times/week and biking a bit tho.

#8096386 - 02/17/15 01:26 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: stickaz_old]
dirtyS13drifta
Unregistered

I'd cancel that long run 6 days before your race
and the dual 5kms at race pace

The speed work could even be dialed back.

Basically there's not point in having any "quality" work-outs less than 10 days before your race. Go for runs, but your training is over.

#8096551 - 02/17/15 02:50 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: ]
Design Offline
Post Master Supreme

I think a lot of plans recommend doing an easy or "race pace" run the day before the long run. I've noticed that both for Hal Higdon and my own plan on RunKeeper.
89 Camaro - Sold

#8096561 - 02/17/15 02:55 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Design]
stickaz_old Offline
Post Master Supreme

yea the theory behind the 5ks @ goal pace is to just force me/my gps watch to actually be able to go out and run the first 3 miles [well, ignoring the first because of that hill] at actual goal pace. 9:00/mi shouldnt bother me too much I hope. Maybe back it off from a 5k to a 2 miler? \:D
I havent been doing much "goal pace" running unfortunately. Speed work goes under, my tempo runs go under, and my long runs go well over. heh.

Hal Higdon has a tues/wed/thurs run of [week of the race, aka plan week 12]
tues: 4 mile long/slow pace [for me: 10--10:30]
wed: 30 min tempo [for me, 8:30 pace]
thu: 2 mile long/slow pace
f/sa: rest
su run

the sun before he has you doing a 12.0 miler at long/slow pace \:D

also I'm not trying to have a ~2 week gap in my training for an olympic tri I have the following month [april] \:D
I'm thinking I just roll in through the season and not really taper much/at all. No idea what my "A" race for the year will be. If I ever figure that out I'll taper for it

#8096720 - 02/17/15 04:58 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: stickaz_old]
SJP0tato Offline

Loc: Gilbert, Az
 Originally Posted By: zakcits
How does this sound for my next 6 weeks?

Random suggestion:
Can you do: T/Tempo, W/Speedwork, Sa/Moderate 5, Su Long?

The plan I'm doing now has 2 speed days during the week back to back. At first I thought it was crazy, it makes the 2nd one a little tougher, but I've noticed the immediate day after tempo pace the soreness mostly goes away once I'm warmed up. Then you can really thrash yourself with the speedwork and have a lot more recovery time after.
Saturday will get things loose again with an easy 5 miler, then Sunday you should be fresh for your long run.

If you feel ambitious you could add an easy 5k on Friday too if that works with your recovery timeframe & schedule just to get more overall mileage.

The way you have it laid out now I think you'll be pretty fresh on Tuesday, sore on Thursday (depending on your recovery time and how hard you push your tempo), recovered on Saturday, and sore for your long run on Sunday.

#8096809 - 02/17/15 05:49 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: SJP0tato]
Ampsman in Extremis Offline
I PITY THE FOOL!
Post Master Supreme

Loc: San Jose, Ca, USA
I wouldnt go any further than 10 miles on the long runs.
Also, dont bitch out on your speedwork...fucking hammer that shit till the bile starts rising. Seriously. \:\|

Paki: 3:36

#8096813 - 02/17/15 05:52 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Ampsman in Extremis]
stickaz_old Offline
Post Master Supreme

really? Sub 5k pace?

also my shit is weak apparently...at goal pace post mile 10 I fade, hence the couple more moments of "fuck you time" beyond mile 13 or so in these coming weeks

hoping to avoid omgcollapse around mile 10 [last time I went to +1:30/mi over goal pace miles 10-13 after nailing miles 1-9]

#8097800 - 02/18/15 12:19 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Ampsman in Extremis]
dirtyS13drifta
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: ampsman
Also, dont bitch out on your speedwork...fucking hammer that shit till the bile starts rising. Seriously. \:\|

Really, because I've always heard aenerobic sprints are pointless for training for a 1/2.

#8097808 - 02/18/15 12:25 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: ]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: dirtyS13drifta

Really, because I've always heard aenerobic sprints are pointless for training for a 1/2.

That depends on how hard you want to run the half. \:D

#8097848 - 02/18/15 12:51 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Sir Ironpool]
stickaz_old Offline
Post Master Supreme

maybe w/ hills the anaerobic stuff is more important?

*doesnt seem as bad as that ~800'+ hill in pacifica I use to train suffer on

miles 7-10 will be where I have to make up some time to hit 2:00 \:D

#8097922 - 02/18/15 01:47 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Sir Ironpool]
I PITY THE FOOL!
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: Mrs. Ironmom
 Originally Posted By: dirtyS13drifta

That depends on how hard you want to run the half. \:D

This. I don't know why you wouldn't go anaerobic on intervals, whats the point then.

#8097931 - 02/18/15 01:53 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Ampsman in Extremis]
stickaz_old Offline
Post Master Supreme

I run them at the pace higdon suggests because noob, I'm pretty sure 8:00 pace for me is anaerobic [5k pace], but not sure. Maybe not lol?

I am very excite that interval training is supposed to be JUST as effective [if not more] at improving overall speed/fitness as that "long/slow bullcrap" based on some data from running programs

#8098059 - 02/18/15 03:22 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: stickaz_old]
I PITY THE FOOL!
Post Master Supreme

I run them at the pace higdon suggests because noob, I'm pretty sure 8:00 pace for me is anaerobic [5k pace], but not sure. Maybe not lol?

I am very excite that interval training is supposed to be JUST as effective [if not more] at improving overall speed/fitness as that "long/slow bullcrap" based on some data from running programs

Intervals dont replace long slow runs, they have different purposes.
Dont listen to crossfit tards when it comes to running.

#8098078 - 02/18/15 03:41 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Ampsman in Extremis]
dirtyS13drifta
Unregistered

These seem reasonable enough.
https://www.mcmillanrunning.com/calculator
I'm probably thinking more like "tempo Intervals" speed. or "cruise intervals"

Edited by dirtyS13drifta (02/18/15 03:42 PM)

#8098091 - 02/18/15 03:56 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: ]
stickaz_old Offline
Post Master Supreme

I feel so retarded all the time here \:D

#8098154 - 02/18/15 04:58 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: stickaz_old]
Design Offline
Post Master Supreme

You know exactly what to do; just stick to the plan dude. Higdon recommends at least 1 day of speedwork and long runs building up to 12-13 miles IIRC. Do that and you'll have the mental and physical resiliency to run a strong half.

As much as I'd like to see you go all out advanced, your knee might not agree to that approach right now.
89 Camaro - Sold

#8098794 - 02/19/15 12:20 AM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: stickaz_old]
stickaz_old Offline
Post Master Supreme

I weighed in at a relatively 'peak' weight for me monday after my biggest run total for a week like ever [23.x], ~2 hrs in the pool, 2 surfing, and a couple bike commutes. 197# eg #nailed_it
perhaps lifting has something to do with it, but I doubt it

or my actual weight variation in a given week is now 6 #'s [I saw 191# about 2 weeks ago]

I'm now grudgingly trying to only hit 188-189 for my half in SF next month

Update: post 5k calorie libation meal was either 193# or 193.5# pre swim workout today (192# after and a little dehydrated)post dinner of course

So kinda back to normal. Maybe fewer 5k splurge meals lol and it stays off

CN: normal noise in my body weight graph/zero conclusions to draw. Would love to figure out how to knock 5# from this figure tho

#8102762 - 02/21/15 12:57 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: stickaz_old]
Design Offline
Post Master Supreme

Really comes down to the calorie intake IMHO. Eating a little less while still getting our nutrients is the only thing that has worked for me. Well that and running 30 miles a week.

Capped off my biggest training week with decent results. A few speed sessions early in the week, followed by Thursday's 8 mile run at race pace. Then 20 miles last night.

Humble to admit I had to walk briefly during last night's run. Not sure if it's my own limitations or that I forgot my electrolyte pills. But I still PR'd at 3:01:06. The session required me to run miles 12-16 at my 10k pace, which I did. But felt pretty wrecked after that.

The worst is now over. I'm not sure whether it's strong enough to get to the sub-4 hour goal. But I am happy to have survived a regimen this intense without serious injury (IT band issues aside).

3 weeks until LA Marathon.
89 Camaro - Sold

#8103045 - 02/21/15 09:05 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Design]
stickaz_old Offline
Post Master Supreme

wewt good luck on the marathon [I'd be sooo terrified heh]:

got a good half in... says 3rd best effort really its my 2nd best effort [one of those is a GPS thing on an airplane I cant seem to delete even tho I deleted it]

*nice low HR... 136 avg
*didnt carry any water, just hit a couple water fountains. Less than 2 minutes of 'stopped' time.
*little bit over 200' of elevation
*not too much crying, legs didnt have too much of that 'I give up' feeling post mile 10
*only tried to hit around 10:00--10:30 pace [long/slow]
*the chick with the nicest ass I saw all day smiled and said 'Hi' to me /forevervirgin
*the dude who passed me twice I left for good around mile 6 \:D

#8103387 - 02/22/15 12:56 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: stickaz_old]
2000SiRacer Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Colorado
Nice work dude! Was this an official race then? Organized training run?

It pains me to see your route head straight towards some pretty looking terrain before turning around

Also, this cracked me up

#8103417 - 02/22/15 02:01 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: 2000SiRacer]
stickaz_old Offline
Post Master Supreme

Nah I'm just a stubborn asshole, charged through the various parks this route goes through and found some water fountains. Ampsman goes further on this route towards the hills. I definitely can not push more than one of these at a time: distance, pace, or hills \:o

Basically trying to lower my tendency to collapse in my half race in 5 weeks post mile 10. Unfortunately that one has a bit of elevation on itit

This was just my normal long/slow run. Less normal was me basically not stopping at all (sUB 2 mins at water stops)

#8103439 - 02/22/15 02:45 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: stickaz_old]
Lividentity Offline
Major Member

Loc: Gehenna
That's a nice run man! Keep it up. That's further than a half marathon so therefore you can run a half marathon. :P I like doing that in my training as well, if you run 15 miles in training for a half the race itself seems short lol.
#8103533 - 02/22/15 05:00 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Lividentity]
SJP0tato Offline

Looks good stickaz!

I'm 6 days out from my half, just trying to hold back on my pace during the taper. Feeling pretty good for this coming Saturday.

#8103609 - 02/22/15 06:44 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: SJP0tato]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: SJP0tato
Looks good stickaz!

I'm 6 days out from my half, just trying to hold back on my pace during the taper. Feeling pretty good for this coming Saturday.

What race? I want to come out and run with you for a mile in a speedo. \:D

#8103655 - 02/22/15 07:41 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Sir Ironpool]
Design Offline
Post Master Supreme

Good job man. Just stick with the frequency and it'll definitely get easier.
89 Camaro - Sold

#8103765 - 02/22/15 09:09 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Sir Ironpool]
SJP0tato Offline

Originally Posted By: SJP0tato
Looks good stickaz!

What race? I want to come out and run with you for a mile in a speedo. \:D

Phoenix (half) Marathon: http://thephoenixmarathon.com/plan-your-race/half-marathon/
a pacer would be a nice luxury. \:\)

Even better than the speedo is these bad boys, 1" inseam of pure freedom!!!!
http://www.runningwarehouse.com/BOA_Mens_1inch_Elite_Split_Leg_Short/descpage-BMESPUS.html

#8105510 - 02/24/15 12:26 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: SJP0tato]
Design Offline
Post Master Supreme

Good luck dude. I know you're going to kill it.

Expect a full race report when you get back.
89 Camaro - Sold

#8105520 - 02/24/15 12:33 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Design]
dirtyS13drifta
Unregistered

Nice job stickaz, I really think you're going to feel strong on your half with the training your doing

I just ordered those shorts, I may not be a strong runner, but I can look the part!

#8105885 - 02/24/15 04:11 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: ]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

Got some good vert in yesterday.....climbed Mt. wilson for the first time since before Leadville. Made to within a half mile of the summit where I decided to turn back because I couldn't feel my arms, lol. T-shirt and short shorts in a hailstorm for a good hour was good enough reason to turn back after 6 miles and 4500 feet. /pussy

#8105932 - 02/24/15 04:43 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Sir Ironpool]
dirtyS13drifta
Unregistered

Stickaz almost has me convinced to sign up for a trail 25km in June.

Despite the fact I can't/won't do more than 8km right now.

Think I'll pick up some Hoka One's this week.

#8105937 - 02/24/15 04:48 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Sir Ironpool]
2000SiRacer Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Colorado
Got some good vert in yesterday.....climbed Mt. wilson for the first time since before Leadville. Made to within a half mile of the summit where I decided to turn back because I couldn't feel my arms, lol. T-shirt and short shorts in a hailstorm for a good hour was good enough reason to turn back after 6 miles and 4500 feet. /pussy

YOU NEGLECTED TO MENTION THIS IN YOUR TEXT \:\(

#8105953 - 02/24/15 05:01 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: 2000SiRacer]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: 2000SiRacer

YOU NEGLECTED TO MENTION THIS IN YOUR TEXT \:\(

Page 109 of 148 « First<107108109110111>Last »

Moderator:  Silock, Professor Paki 
Hop to:
Shout Box

CSi Sponsors

DiGBiC Lighters
DiGBiC Lighters
DallasColo
Dallas Colocation
ClubSi.com Shirts
ClubSi-Shirts
GameStop
Black-Friday Specials
Big Brake Kits
StopTech.Sale BBK Clearance
Brake Kits
Buy Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
BuyBrakes
Brake Kits-Pads & Rotors Sets
StopTech Brake Kits
StopTech
StopTech NZ
StopTech
StopTech Australia
StopTech
Hawk Brake Pads
Hawk Brake Pads
Samys Camera
GoPros, Cameras, Gear
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Pad Coupons
Coupon Code "hondafetish"
Porsche Brakes
Porsche Brake Upgrades
2-Piece Rotors-Civic Type-R
2-Piece Civic Rotors
Advertisement

| Brake Pads | | How To Change Brake Pads | | Drilled Slotted Brake Kits Cheap | EBC Brake Kits | Performance Brake Kits | Brake Specials Near Me | How To Replace Brake Pads