Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#2773031 - 06/27/08 11:28 PM B18 LS swap
Cap't Amazing Offline
Poster

Loc: Farragut, TN
I've got a 95 ex coupe and I'm really considering dropping in a LS teg motor. I found one from a friend who works in a junk yard here in Knoxville for $300, motor has 69k and it includes the tranny, ecu and axles (yep, motor mounts as well). Am I going to notice much of a bump in performance right off (i.e. torque/hp)? Also, if I were to drop in crower rods, JE pistons, few other mods, what kinda hp/tq bump am I lookin at?? How hard would it be later if I wanted to drop a vtec head on it as well? And is that safe? I was also thinkin about going the turbo route too. Any things I should worry about with the ls/vtec+boost issues?

Visit Sponsors! Help CSi !
#2773771 - 06/28/08 11:28 AM Re: B18 LS swap [Re: Cap't Amazing]
Slurp56 Moderator Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: S21
The B18b is a good motor, and the performance difference will be quite noticeable from your d16z6. You'll be pleased with the extra torque.

We cant tell you what kind of power you'll be making with rods, pistons, and a few other mods. Namely we dont know what the few other mods are. Rods wont get you anything, and pistons range depending on what you put in there and how the motor is tuned. If you want to put a turbo on the engine, you'll likely put lower compression pistons in the engine and if anything, at this point, you may lose a little power until the turbo is added.

Adding a VTEC head later is actually pretty easy and it's only as safe as you build it and then tune it. A quality setup put together properly will last you a long time.

Turbo is good and you have the potential to make a lot of power with the LSVTEC turbo setup. Depending on how much boost you intend to run, you may need to build the block a little more to support those kind of pressures. 6-8 lbs of boost should be fine on the stock motor. Go above that and at the very least you want pistons and rods. I generally tend to suggest installing a crank girdle as well.

#2774097 - 06/28/08 03:36 PM Re: B18 LS swap [Re: Slurp56]
Cap't Amazing Offline
Poster

Loc: Farragut, TN
Thank you for this most informative post \:\) , I can't say that I get many responses that are this well explained. I would really like to do the LSVTEC/Turbo route. But first things first, I gotta get the motor lol. Thanks for your info ;\)

#2789813 - 07/03/08 10:12 AM Re: B18 LS swap [Re: Cap't Amazing]
f22b-dohc Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: canadia
bleh,

find a short gear tranny with that and do ur bolt ons

IHE
flywheel/clutch
pulley
more fuel

should be fun and cheap

#2790115 - 07/03/08 11:28 AM Re: B18 LS swap [Re: f22b-dohc]
Slurp56 Moderator Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: S21
 Originally Posted By: f22b-dohc
bleh,

find a short gear tranny with that and do ur bolt ons

IHE
flywheel/clutch
pulley
more fuel

should be fun and cheap

I am not sure I understand your advice in this post. Find a short geared tranny for what? The LS motor? The LSVTEC? The turbo LSVTEC? I'm not sure I'd completely agree with you. The LS tranny should do him fine, and I wouldnt go shorter than a GSR tranny myself.

I also dont know that I'd recommend he buy a header if he is thinking about going turbo, and the rest of the stuff you listed wont do anything but shrink his wallet. The clutch can be done at the time of the swap or when the turbo is installed. Personally, I'd run the stock clutch until the turbo is installed, especially if the stock clutch is still good.

Adding more fuel without adding more air will ruin your catalytic convertor and O2 sensor, leave a nice trail of soot behind you, turn your bumper black, cost you more at the pump, and make you slower!

#2790258 - 07/03/08 12:02 PM Re: B18 LS swap [Re: Slurp56]
f22b-dohc Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: canadia
b18b and what i mentioned.

no turbo/no head swap

anything else like building the motor = waste of money for me....buy a new car.

#3190461 - 11/07/08 07:13 PM Re: B18 LS swap [Re: f22b-dohc]
Slow_Import Offline

Loc: United States
you'll definitely notice a difference in power, as stated above mate a b16 tranny to that b18 and the motor will come alive. even without cams and internals, it will be night day from the d16z6.
Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  Slurp56, Professor Paki 
Hop to:
Shout Box

CSi Sponsors

DiGBiC Lighters
DiGBiC Lighters
DallasColo
Dallas Colocation
ClubSi.com Shirts
ClubSi-Shirts
GameStop
Black-Friday Specials
Big Brake Kits
StopTech.Sale BBK Clearance
Brake Kits
Buy Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
BuyBrakes
Brake Kits-Pads & Rotors Sets
StopTech Brake Kits
StopTech
StopTech NZ
StopTech
StopTech Australia
StopTech
Hawk Brake Pads
Hawk Brake Pads
Samys Camera
GoPros, Cameras, Gear
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Pad Coupons
Coupon Code "hondafetish"
Porsche Brakes
Porsche Brake Upgrades
2-Piece Rotors-Civic Type-R
2-Piece Civic Rotors
Advertisement

| Brake Pads | | How To Change Brake Pads | | Drilled Slotted Brake Kits Cheap | EBC Brake Kits | Performance Brake Kits | Brake Specials Near Me | How To Replace Brake Pads