Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#2259472 - 01/24/08 08:42 PM Water in engine; cheaply repairable?
UxiSi Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Southern California
Put this in OT, but trust the answers from here a bit more. \:o

Well the curse of the Si finally bit. Bout a month before, probably the fools on a training cruise, they broke the window at about 3:00am, but didn't get anything. I heard the alarm and was up and out there with my .45 pronto. Cops naturally don't see shit, even though it must have been a slow night. 3 cop cars and 1 CHP arrive to twiddle their thumbs.

Fast forward to December. Going to work one morning and the car was gone. Found not too far away.

Ends up only relatively trivial shit is taken. Gauge cluster (they left the EK9/Momo steering wheel. Jacked up the center console trying to get at the nav, but left the Eclipse AVN. Ripped the alarm out (found it on the floor) and the ignition (the metal parts anyway) is snapped off and dangling by the wires.

Took the CTR valve cover and Mugen strut tower bar. The bent the shit out of my K&N FIPK heat shield and took the cone filter but left the tube and dented to shit heat shield (maybe they couldn't figure it was torqued to whatever was specified... I want to say 120lb/ft). They left the SSR Competitions (including full sized spare in the trunk) even though they pulled the locks out of the center console and left them on the passenger seat. Maybe they got scared or didn't have blocks.

Anyways, it had rained the night before and they left the hood up and it apparently rained in the engine all night

Fast forward to now. The insurance finally says that given the water in the engine they're going to total. $12,900. Not too shabby considering it's a 7 year old car with 120k miles (they couldn't tell how many cause the odometer is in the missing cluster). Or I can buy it back and still get $10,000 and change. Looks like Honda priced a whole new engine for $7500 and that's what tipped the insurance over the edge.

Part of me wants a new ride and $12k would make a nice downpayment. I'm leaning 335i coupe. Just got an offer accepted on a house, though, so I'd prefer not to finance anything at least until escrow closes if not for awhile after while I get used to a bigger payment. I am thinking it's not very likely I need an entire new engine... maybe a bottom end, if that. I'm thinking just drain the oil, fill it with some cheap oil, drain it again a few times to get all teh shit out then fire it up. If I blow, then I buy a new bottom end (always wanted a B18C5 shortblock assy) and rebuild it that way.

Hope to God none of the harnesses were torn where they tried to rip out the alarm. What's CSi OT's verdict? IS this repairable for relatively cheap (say under $5k)?

"Democracies have ever been spectacles of turbulence and contention; have ever been found incompatible with personal security or the rights of property; and have in general been as short in their lives as they have been violent in their death." -- James Madison

Videos
#2544807 - 04/15/08 08:12 PM Re: Water in engine; cheaply repairable? [Re: UxiSi]
davecalgary Offline
Jr Poster

Take the 10 g's find a full donor car and swap parts... You will prob need a new head
Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  Runnin@Redline Jr, Dr. BrokenLimits, Professor Paki 
Hop to:
Shout Box

CSi Sponsors

DiGBiC Lighters
DiGBiC Lighters
DallasColo
Dallas Colocation
ClubSi.com Shirts
ClubSi-Shirts
GameStop
Black-Friday Specials
Big Brake Kits
StopTech.Sale BBK Clearance
Brake Kits
Buy Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
BuyBrakes
Brake Kits-Pads & Rotors Sets
StopTech Brake Kits
StopTech
StopTech NZ
StopTech
StopTech Australia
StopTech
Hawk Brake Pads
Hawk Brake Pads
Samys Camera
GoPros, Cameras, Gear
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Pad Coupons
Coupon Code "hondafetish"
Porsche Brakes
Porsche Brake Upgrades
2-Piece Rotors-Civic Type-R
2-Piece Civic Rotors
Advertisement

| Brake Pads | | How To Change Brake Pads | | Drilled Slotted Brake Kits Cheap | EBC Brake Kits | Performance Brake Kits | Brake Specials Near Me | How To Replace Brake Pads