Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#1910264 - 10/01/07 08:21 PM HFP Braking Systems w/Slotted Rotors
Paxton Offline
Jr Poster

Loc: Nashville, TN
Anyone gotten this? any reviews on it at all? Seems fairly cheap for a full braking system with slotted rotors. I'm considering this purchase..thoughts?
Navi

Videos
#1910440 - 10/01/07 09:17 PM Re: HFP Braking Systems w/Slotted Rotors [Re: Paxton]
NighthawkSiSedan Offline
Major Member

Loc: Dhaka, Bangladesh
Its just rotors and brake pads. Here's a guy on the ocho that has them.

http://www.8thcivic.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56913
07 FA5 . Nighthawk Black . Xenondepot 5000k HIDs . Sony Bt5000 . Alpine Mrp-m850 . (2) Infinity Kappa Perfect 12's . Comptech SS . Injen Cai . Ingalls ETD . Corsport Cable Bushings . Hondata Reflash . Hondata IMG . Strup RH .
[url=www.norotas.com][/url]
[url=www.norotas.com][/url]

#1911510 - 10/02/07 08:04 AM Re: HFP Braking Systems w/Slotted Rotors [Re: NighthawkSiSedan]
Cicada Offline

Loc: Canuckistan
It's a waste of money. $331.21 is what new OEM rotors and Hawk HP+ pads will run you. $270.21 for OEM rotors and Hawk HPS which is probably similar to the HFP pad compound. Compare that to $540 for the HFP kit. Slotted/drilled etc are nice looking but offer no performance improvment over a blank disk. If your existing rotors are in good shape you don't even need to replace them so the price drops even more since you could just upgrade the pads. Take the extra money and buy some stainless braided brake lines and pocket the rest.

#1911954 - 10/02/07 11:00 AM Re: HFP Braking Systems w/Slotted Rotors [Re: Cicada]
Design Moderator Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: The OC
 Originally Posted By: Cicada
Slotted/drilled etc are nice looking but offer no performance improvment over a blank disk. If your existing rotors are in good shape you don't even need to replace them so the price drops even more since you could just upgrade the pads.

Actually the HFP rotors have a higher resistance to brake fade over standard OEM. I agree though, not worth the upgrade unless you're noticing a performance loss on the track.

I'm not sure about other members, but my experience with Hawk pads resulted in excessive brake dust and complete wear within 25K.
89 Camaro - Sold
CSI. What's your diversion?

#1914796 - 10/03/07 09:55 AM Re: HFP Braking Systems w/Slotted Rotors [Re: Design]
Cicada Offline

Loc: Canuckistan
 Originally Posted By: Design
Actually the HFP rotors have a higher resistance to brake fade over standard OEM. I agree though, not worth the upgrade unless you're noticing a performance loss on the track.

I'm not sure about other members, but my experience with Hawk pads resulted in excessive brake dust and complete wear within 25K.
The whole sales line with slotted or drilled rotors is "reduces fade by giving the gases released by the pad an escape route". The problem is that properly broken in pads don't actually outgas very much at all. 'Green fade' is what they are describing and it happens when an improperly broken in pad is brought to high temps and outgasses causing a friction reducing barrier between the pad and the rotor. The pedal would remain firm but the brakes would feel like they have no bite. Break your pads in right and this will never be an issue. The 2nd kind of fade and the kind we've all seen at the track is heat related fade. The friction of braking has:

1. boiled the brake fluid causing a mushy pedal
2. over heated the pad reducing it's ability to generate stopping friction.

Solution to these 2 problems are:

1. brake fluid with a higher boiling point
2. bigger rotor/pad/caliper assembly to increase the amount of material available to dissipate heat.

Running a rotor of the same size, material and mass won't reduce fade.

As for the hawks, any pad thats good for the track is going to throw up dust and be loud. It's the trade off for performance. For the street use something milder but be prepared for substandard braking in track situations

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  Design, A_Mantis, Professor Paki 
Hop to:
Shout Box

CSi Sponsors

DiGBiC Lighters
DiGBiC Lighters
DallasColo
Dallas Colocation
ClubSi.com Shirts
ClubSi-Shirts
GameStop