The Mighty BellRacer
(Post Master Supreme)
10/28/13 04:50 PM
going back to the gym tonight

Fall 2014 update: Doin this dance again. I'm going to beat last year's mileage by 200-300 miles though I feel my cycling strength was better last year due to the bigger and better hill routes in Austin vs Dallas. This winter I am going to try to still do 30-40 miles on the bike per week so I can keep some form for when spring rolls around. And next cycling seasons I'm going to spend my off-bike days in the gym instead of fucking off.

i've spent the last 5 months almost exclusively on the bike, haven't touched a weight since then but got my cycling fitness pretty strong. now the days are too short to do a 2hr ride after work and even 1 hour is pushing it unless i can get on the road before 5:30. with the time changing this weekend, it's going to be almost impossible to ride during the week.

nonetheless, going to go as light as i can force myself to. i'm not nearly as big of a lifter as some of the guys on here and i have to be careful with my back, but i still enjoy some grunt as part of my exercise regimen. i'm sure i'll be hating life tomorrow.

robbbby
(Post Master Supreme)
10/28/13 06:31 PM
Re: going back to the gym tonight

I'm in the same boat. Riding is pretty much limited to weekends now so I want to start doing weight training again. Besides pullups I haven't touched a weight since probably April/May, I need a structured workout to follow though, I lack motivation if i'm just sort of doing my own thing.

Silock
(Post Master Supreme)
10/28/13 06:52 PM

This is the first time in a long time I'm not going to the gym or playing soccer. Breaks. Feelsgoodman.

DieZel
(Post Master Supreme)
10/28/13 08:05 PM

i'm fucking ready for a week off...

The Mighty BellRacer
(Post Master Supreme)
10/29/13 06:37 AM

Did a light chest workout last night. Kept the weights down but I wasn't quite as weak as I expected. This morning I got my ass out of bed and went to a spin class. First time I'd ever done that. Having the cycling base certainly helped, but I had trouble dialing in the resistance and finding the motivation to "climb." Good bit of cardio and a nice change of pace. Not sure that I'll make it a regular thing.

Euphoricuck
(Post Master Supreme)
10/29/13 09:13 AM

your muscle just doesnt fall off.
Im sure once you get a week or two under your belt and get used to it somewhat again youll surprise yourself with what you can lift.

**DONOTDELETE**
()
10/29/13 09:32 AM

Originally Posted By: Euphoric
Im sure once you get a week or two under your belt and get used to it somewhat again youll surprise yourself with what you can lift.

I find I fall off a cliff. In may bp 205x6, failed at 175x4 last week. FML
That said, I lost nearly 10lbs from may to Sept, only recently been gaining it back.

Like OP I was cycling a bit (50 miles most week), and running enough for a 1/2(about 10 miles a week), that with probalby not eating enough.

In the end, mixing it up is fun. It's not the end of the world to start back up.

Impulsive
(Post Master Supreme)
10/29/13 10:42 AM

I'm trying to put in extra time right now since I have shoulder surgery in 3 weeks and I'm guessing it will be 3-5 weeks of almost complete inactivity. I've been ready for a week off for a long time. The one week I took off, all I did was landscape/deck building every moment I wasn't working so I didn't get any actual rest.

(Post Master Supreme)
10/29/13 11:05 AM

Originally Posted By: DieZel

team stair climb lol

DieZel
(Post Master Supreme)
10/29/13 11:10 AM

7 days a week... getting tiresome but the quantity is coming down at least... only doing 5 - 300MISS and 2 20 minute HIIT...

It's Art
(Post Master Supreme)
10/29/13 02:00 PM

Originally Posted By: DieZel
I think I need one too.

Silock
(Post Master Supreme)
10/29/13 02:05 PM

I haven't done anything remotely physical since Friday night.

I feel guilty as FUCK.

I'm lessening my guilt by working on refining my new RPE lifting plan that I'll start on Sunday.

Sir Ironpool
(Post Master Supreme)
10/29/13 02:06 PM

98V-TeC
(Post Master Supreme)
10/29/13 05:24 PM

Other than an occasional sprint workout and some light cardio I haven't worked out in around 6 weeks.

YOLO'ING!!!

The Mighty BellRacer
(Post Master Supreme)
10/30/13 08:47 AM

Originally Posted By: Euphoric

yeah i know it's little more than just knocking the rust off. there was a span of a year or more that i didn't work out because my back was so bad. it took about 3 months to fully recover once i got healthy again.

65_289
(Post Master Sr)
10/30/13 12:42 PM

Hurt my back on Saturday being an idiot. Rounded my back putting down a deadlift. So I haven't done shit this week.

The Mighty BellRacer
(Post Master Supreme)
11/05/13 02:58 PM

sooooorrrrrreeeee....

The Mighty BellRacer
(Post Master Supreme)
11/13/13 12:08 PM

strength is coming back quickly. going to do some leg work tonight.

98V-TeC
(Post Master Supreme)
11/13/13 12:19 PM

I fucking miss it...badly.

Still yolo'ing and doing half ass prison workouts in my apartment. I need another wrist surgery, and probably a shoulder scope.

Euphoricuck
(Post Master Supreme)
11/13/13 01:03 PM

^what did you do.

good stuff OP.

98V-TeC
(Post Master Supreme)
11/13/13 01:26 PM

Fluid build up in wrist resulting in a ganglion cyst. Got it drained around 2 months ago. It worked, pain free and feeling great...then it came back. Now dealing with nagging pain daily.

Shoulder, I think we discussed before. I'm not exactly sure what it is. It's been fucking with me for months. Either calcification or something bursitis related. I held off on getting it checked because I thought I could get rid of it on my own, no luck. I've had enough.

The Mighty BellRacer
(Post Master Supreme)
11/17/13 11:51 PM

Feeling alright, leg strength was there due to all of the biking, but holy shit was I sore and still feeling the effects in my calves.

Leg press, funky calf station, leg extends, prone hamstring curls, 3 foot-position weighted calf raises, walking weighted lunges = not walking so good for 2 days.

I know it's mostly considered accessory work but I don't squat or deadlift anymore with my back injury. I used to LOVE SLDLs...miss doing those since I used to move a fair amount of weight with them.

The Mighty BellRacer
(Post Master Supreme)
10/20/14 01:08 PM

update in OP, going to switch it up a bit this season and try to serve 2 masters, kinda.

The Mighty BellRacer
(Post Master Supreme)
11/20/14 11:05 AM

the first 3 weeks suck ballz... then the strength starts coming back rapidly. these are the best days with all the motivation in the world.

motivation is what i traditionally struggle with. i get to a plateau and mentally have a tough time putting in the work and additional effort to get past it. i'm about a month away from where i ended last winter, which is about 80% of my highest historical plateau.