ReplicaR
(Post Master Sr)
04/06/12 10:41 AM
My next track wheels Ver. RPF1

Decided to order one Enkei RPF1 in 17x10 just to test fit. The common belief is that Mustangs with Cobra R brakes (Brembo 13 inch kit) do not clear those. Well, I'm happy to report that they do in fact clear the wheels, and the suspension. It does stick out just a tiny little bit in the front, at full droop. I'm thinking that I'll have the fenders pulled just an inch, and at ride height it will probably be perfect. Best part is the wheel takes 8 lbs a corner off my current track wheel setup (Cobra R 17x9 = 25lbs, Enkei RPF1 17x10 = 17lbs), and I should get better sidewall action, as well as better contact patch, since I'm going away from 17x9 wheel on a 275 NT-01

I Live In Canada
(Post Master Sr)
04/06/12 11:05 AM
Re: My next track wheels Ver. RPF1

Nice. Those wheels look good on just about anything

Impulsive
(Post Master Supreme)
04/06/12 11:31 AM

I'm curious to see how they look on a mustang.

ElectronVTEC2
(Post Master Sr)
04/06/12 01:39 PM

Yea, an odd combo but ultimately I think it'll look great, just a classic wheel and good performance to boot. Hard to argue with that \:\)

GB
(Post Master Supreme)
04/06/12 05:19 PM

Those poke hard in the front.

ReplicaR
(Post Master Sr)
04/06/12 05:28 PM

Yeah, but at ride height, it should be a tucked in a little bit. I'll get the fenders pulled about an inch regardless

scootergeek
(Post Master Supreme)
04/06/12 05:52 PM

This is my favorite Mustang.

danl
(Post Master Supreme)
04/06/12 08:29 PM

Are the wheels fairly centered around the two wheel bearings? My only worry is that if they aren't the outside bearing will take the brunt of the force of the spinning wheel as you turn the wheel and the suspension goes up and down. The only down fall would be that you would wear out wheel bearings faster than normal.

ReplicaR
(Post Master Sr)
04/06/12 09:37 PM

Should be fairly close. It is an optional fitment, but it is a mustang fitment non the less

theLoon
(Post Master Sr)
04/06/12 09:46 PM

Damn it's fucking true, RPF1s look good on EVERYTHING. Nice kill once you complete the set.

I saw these for sale on bimmerforums, if I was local to him, they'd be on my car right now:

GB
(Post Master Supreme)
04/06/12 11:21 PM

The rears on that e36 look muuuch too convex. Do not like.

ElectronVTEC2
(Post Master Sr)
04/07/12 09:27 AM

Y U NO LIKE CONCAVE?!?!?

GB
(Post Master Supreme)
04/07/12 03:54 PM

Sorry, It was late. Those wheels look much too CONVEX.

Yeah the lip is sunk slightly, but the spokes have to curve inward to the lip and it looks terrible.

needs more fitment like this:

Damnit, Laverty
(Post Master Supreme)
04/07/12 04:15 PM

I'm gonna disagree with you there sir. i had a set of the flat faced ones on my old S, and I dug 'em. I think caving them in just makes a wheel that looks small look smaller still.

GB
(Post Master Supreme)
04/07/12 05:22 PM

See idk. Those look great on your car. But look at your back wheel compared to the wheel on the bmw.

Something about the offset. Where the edge of the spoke meets the lip is just TOO far inward compared to the hub. It makes the wheel look totally awkward. I'm fine with a flat face, but it's just something about the specific fitment on THAT e36 that bugs me.

Damnit, Laverty
(Post Master Supreme)
04/07/12 06:45 PM

Oh! now i see it, yeah i'm with you.

ReplicaR
(Post Master Sr)
04/08/12 04:38 PM

Originally Posted By: I Live In Canada
Nice. Those wheels look good on just about anything

Just saw a Prius sporting RPF1s. And it looked awesome on that too

FCobra94
(Post Master Supreme)
04/09/12 08:52 AM

Originally Posted By: ReplicaR
Yeah, but at ride height, it should be a tucked in a little bit. I'll get the fenders pulled about an inch regardless

Should be a great looking setup How much camber do you normally run up front? Will that be an issue, clearance wise with the strut tube, once everything gets mounted?

FCobra94
(Post Master Supreme)
04/09/12 08:55 AM

Originally Posted By: Gb
The rears on that e36 look muuuch too convex. Do not like.

Agreed. The stepped lip and reverse spokes, etc. kill it. I think it would look better with a set of ARC-8's instead:
http://www.apexraceparts.com/ARC-8-17x9-Wheel_p_17.html

ReplicaR
(Post Master Sr)
04/09/12 10:41 AM

Originally Posted By: FCobra94

Should be a great looking setup How much camber do you normally run up front? Will that be an issue, clearance wise with the strut tube, once everything gets mounted?

Yeah, there is plenty of space for the strut actually, more than last wheel (Cobra R R58). I usually run 2.5 negative, with 7.5 caster. I'm thinking about going up to 3.5 negative pretty soon, to get more front end bite.

Slow_V6
(Post Master Sr)
04/11/12 02:31 PM

Funny you mention these wheels. Really considering these for the Z for DD duty. Looking at 18x10.5 +15 in the rear. I can't find a good picture of them though, but since its RPF01, it'll look hot.

Then it's off to buy coilovers and get herrafrush son!

SamuraiSam
(Post Master Sr)
04/11/12 04:53 PM

If I hadn't tracked down the OE, '95 M-edition BBS rims, I would have gone with these. They are easily the lightest wide rim that's affordable for many different makes of cars. I happen to hate the way the Miata fitment rims look on the Miata, but they do look good on many different cars. Are you going to rent a fender roller and pull them out that way? I've done the baseball bat method and, uh, yeah...

ReplicaR
(Post Master Sr)
04/11/12 09:16 PM

I'll leave that to professionals. Rather do that, than do it myself, screw it up, and then have to pay for body work. I've seen how easy it is to screw up fenders using baseball / steel pipe method.

theLoon
(Post Master Sr)
04/11/12 11:35 PM

I'll leave that to professionals. Rather do that, than do it myself, screw it up, and then have to pay for body work. I've seen how easy it is to screw up fenders using baseball / steel pipe method.
Dude, what with your DIY hood vent experience, seems like fender rolling would be right up your alley.

ReplicaR
(Post Master Sr)
04/11/12 11:53 PM

Yeah, seems like it would be, only if I screw up a 50 dollar hood, I'm not going to be as pissed off, if I were to screw up a factory fender, and having to replace it and paint it.

ReplicaR
(Post Master Sr)
04/12/12 07:28 PM

I hate the "while I'm there..." process of modifying. That got me into to much debt back in the days with Corrado and Trans Am.

PsychoEBPSiR
(Post Master Sr)
04/15/12 01:33 PM

Great choice on wheels , I have a set of 17x9.5 (245/45/17) front and 17x10 (275/40/17) rears on my s13...love them

Bought another set yesterday 18x9.5 +15 w/ advan AD08's 265/35/18 for the evo in matte black

Cant beat them for the style,weight, and price I think for a really good track wheel/street

s13 ninja edit

Impulsive
(Post Master Supreme)
04/15/12 06:15 PM

I hate the "while I'm there..." process of modifying. That got me into to much debt back in the days with Corrado and Trans Am.

Yep. A cheapo STi uppipe on the FXT, turned into much more.

**DONOTDELETE**
()
04/17/12 10:35 AM

Bought a set for teh s2k on the weekend hopefully going on this weekend if I can find means to get my fenders rolled

PsychoEBPSiR
(Post Master Sr)
04/17/12 03:14 PM

Yah I'm hoping the blacks come with red writing on them

Impulsive
(Post Master Supreme)
04/17/12 03:43 PM

Originally Posted By: Lost^
Bought a set for teh s2k on the weekend hopefully going on this weekend if I can find means to get my fenders rolled

Post pics when you get them. I know a lot of people don't like black rims, but I love em.

PsychoEBPSiR
(Post Master Sr)
04/18/12 11:03 AM

I like black on silver cars, that's just me tho . I can tell the difference between a steel wheel and rim tho ;\)

Impulsive
(Post Master Supreme)
04/18/12 11:25 AM

I can see the steelie thing from pics, but a nice designed wheel will stand out with a decent "open" area and a big enough rotor behind it. Of course, I have 19's with a pretty open spoke design.

Not my pic, but pretty much identical. Also helps they are an aggresive offset so the "stance" is good.

**DONOTDELETE**
()
04/19/12 08:49 AM

Mine are going on this saturday, getting my fenders rolled in Calgary and on they go. my s2k is white so black wheels work.

PsychoEBPSiR
(Post Master Sr)
04/19/12 08:00 PM

i got big shiny red calipers on my evo so they look nice haha

Panda Express
(Post Master Supreme)
04/20/12 10:12 AM

The RPF1 takes Honda center caps. Part #44732-S9A-A00

I had to grind down the inside of the cap to clear the front axles and some spray paint to cover up the H.

ReplicaR
(Post Master Sr)
04/20/12 10:39 AM

Originally Posted By: Panda Express
The RPF1 takes Honda center caps. Part #44732-S9A-A00

I had to grind down the inside of the cap to clear the front axles and some spray paint to cover up the H.

Bah, extra weight!!! Speaking of which, are those aluminum lug nuts?

Panda Express
(Post Master Supreme)
04/20/12 10:48 AM

Muteki closed end lugnuts. Not sure about what they're made of.

ReplicaR
(Post Master Sr)
04/20/12 11:30 AM

It would be sweet to find some light weight alum. lug nuts.

theLoon
(Post Master Sr)
04/20/12 10:33 PM

Hm, aside from vastly reduced shear resistance, the possibility of galvanic corrosion, and a realistic .5lbs/wheel weight reduction, doesn't seem like a hot idea to me.

**DONOTDELETE**
()
04/22/12 05:11 PM

Got my rims on yesterday, pretty happy with them. Got a set of black Muteki lug nuts put on to match, ordered a set of honda centers last week w/ red honda decals as well to do the sand down, spray bomb and apply decal to get them to match.

Pic I took earlier today

FCobra94
(Post Master Supreme)
04/23/12 09:06 AM

Got my rims on yesterday, pretty happy with them. Got a set of black Muteki lug nuts put on to match, ordered a set of honda centers last week w/ red honda decals as well to do the sand down, spray bomb and apply decal to get them to match.

How did the fender roll work out? Any rubbing?

**DONOTDELETE**
()
04/23/12 10:10 AM

Originally Posted By: FCobra94

How did the fender roll work out? Any rubbing?

The front fenders didn't end up having to get rolled, there's no rubbing at all aside from the plastic wheel well lining inside the fenders if I hit a good sized bump going at a good speed, which isn't a big deal. The rears did get rolled due to the tires would probably pop if I hit a good bump with them, but overall very pleased, looks good, paint is fine, can't even tell really until you take a finger and feel in behind the fender and can feel the metal that got rolled back. Only had them on a couple of days now and no rubbing other than the fronts did when I was doing some spirited driving and hit a good dip in the road that sent me flying but it wasn't bad at all.

PsychoEBPSiR
(Post Master Sr)
04/24/12 04:27 PM

Originally Posted By: doshoru
the lug nuts are also at near the center axis, so the rotational savings is virtually nil.

yep

but they look nice hah got a set of red work ones for the EVO. good to know about the honda center cap thing! Might do that for the s13 and evo now

**DONOTDELETE**
()
04/25/12 10:39 AM

http://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/912067-diy-rpf1-center-caps-using-oem-honda-caps/

I think the centers I got are the same, they're for the honda odyssey, got the part # off the main rpf1 thread on s2ki

NVMYMPGZ
(Sr Member)
04/25/12 04:31 PM

Any updates OP? Looking forward to seeing how it looks all hellaflushed out..

Dirty Daily

Im interested in the centercap idea, wonder if the 17's and 15's share the same cap diameter...

ReplicaR
(Post Master Sr)
04/25/12 05:52 PM

Probably in a month or so. Still looking for someone to do a proper job on the fenders. Autox next weekend, so I'll have to order tires after that and the rest of the wheels

PsychoEBPSiR
(Post Master Sr)
05/05/12 06:32 PM

woot mounted ! here comes the iphone photos!..Just need to get my alignment done after buying some camber bolts and or pillow ball mounts up front

18x9.5 +15

ReplicaR
(Post Master Sr)
05/07/12 01:44 PM

Well, I burnt up what's left of the NT01s. Some time this month I will get the fenders rolled and pulled to clear RPF1s, and buy the rest of them as well as new set of tires.

**DONOTDELETE**
()
05/11/12 10:39 AM

Made my centers earlier this week, turned out nice

PsychoEBPSiR
(Post Master Sr)
05/11/12 04:12 PM

Rolling my rear fenders tomorrow , rears a bit to wide with no big camber adjustments . If I crank turns it doesn't rub but if I hit big dips it does, this will have to do till I pick coil overs

Centers look good

ReplicaR
(Post Master Sr)
05/13/12 04:51 PM

I was watching F1 2000 season review yesterday, it was kinda funny to see the same wheel on McLaren MP4/13

PsychoEBPSiR
(Post Master Sr)
05/14/12 01:30 PM

Yep it's a solid design, love the wheels... Not pricey, good quality and light w/ good design

Panda Express
(Post Master Supreme)
05/27/12 11:38 PM

Man, I remember when there was a dude on ebay selling the F1-version centerlock RPF1s for something reasonable. I wish I wasn't a broke ass at the time, I would have picked up a couple just to keep in my man room.

ReplicaR
(Post Master Sr)
05/28/12 03:57 PM

I have taken some pictures of the pulled fenders and mounted the wheel for another test fit. Fenders were pulled about an inch so it left me covering exactly the same amount as it did with the Cobra R wheels I had (smaller offset, 1 inch narrower) Here are some pictures of how the wheel fits on the car at ride height.

Now, onto the difference between the wheels themselves. Obvious difference is the weight. Original Japanese made Cobra R is tipping the scale at 22 lbs, while RPF1 being one inch wider is actually 5 lbs lighter at 17 lbs.

The way the tire sits on the wheel is different as well. Talking to a few of my friends who do time attack, and most tire experts, they are all convinced that your contact patch has be just a little bit smaller than the width of the actual wheel to get the most out of the tire, and make it more responsive under fast corners. You can really see that a 9 inch wheel is not an optimal choice for a 275 R comp from pictures below.

You can see in the picture that the sidewall on the 9 inch wheel is bulging quite a bit, while on a 10 inch wheel same tire sits perfectly flat. Note another thing from the picture below, how the contact patch looks like. The closer wheel is the 9 inch one. You can just tell by the contour of the surface, that it's bowing out, curves around the edges. The contact patch on the 10 inch wheel by contrast is a lot flatter, and might actually be able to put more tire on the ground. I know that some will say, oh but the tire is not under load. That is true that the tire will flatten out under the load and create the necessary contact patch, but it will not bring down the edges which are still rolling over due to sidewall being deflected.

scootergeek
(Post Master Supreme)
05/28/12 05:29 PM

Yeah, I've read that you should run the widest wheel possible to fit the tire you're going to use, for all the reasons you've cited.

It's looking good.

PsychoEBPSiR
(Post Master Sr)
06/10/12 03:44 PM

Looks awesome, love function when it comes with form:)

tylerdurden
(Post Master Supreme)
06/10/12 09:31 PM

Slam that bitch!

J/K, looks good. \:\)

ReplicaR
(Post Master Sr)
06/09/14 03:19 PM

Mohamed
(Post Master)
06/16/14 06:02 PM

Is that a hybrid vehicle carpool lane sticker I spy on your rear bumper?

ReplicaR
(Post Master Sr)
06/16/14 06:57 PM

Something like that.

I know, lame, but I kinda like it, and so does everyone else that sees it.

hustler
(Post Master Sr)
06/25/14 06:46 PM

Looks good! I'm actually looking at 94-95's right now because my gf wants one. She hates the fox body so might be swapping many things from wrecked saleen into a donor.

ReplicaR
(Post Master Sr)
06/26/14 11:22 PM

Good idea, as long as you keep it mild. FI really is the way to go for street car.

Mohamed
(Post Master)
06/30/14 05:52 PM