tylerdurden
(Post Master Supreme)
05/12/16 07:09 PM
Y'all using Abobe CC stuff?

I've been running PS CS6 and LR5 for a year or two, but some of the new lenses I've been buying lately as I switch over to native Sony glass didn't have profiles in LR5, nor were they going to add them via update (thanks assholes), and you can't buy an upgrade anymore to LR6, only a full version (seriously, thanks assholes), so I took the plunge (lol $9.99/mo) for PS and LR CC. I've gotta say, shit is boss! It's nice to have everything optimized for HiDPI displays, and it seems like the functionality of the stitching tools is really improved (I think I'm going to start stitching vertical shots from my 25mm when I can rather than using my 16-35 on the wide end to get better corner sharpness). I'd been having shit luck with "Brenizer" stuff, but I just tried it in CC and it worked like a charm (part of it probably has to do with having a proper profile to remove the vignetting too). Anyway, CSB, but if you haven't checked them out, maybe give them a whirl.

Duc
(Post Master Supreme)
05/12/16 07:41 PM
Re: Y'all using Abobe CC stuff?

umkay

ewraven
(Post Master Supreme)
05/12/16 08:17 PM

I've been using it since it was introduced. I like it, the included updates are great. The mobile versions of the software are nice to have.

I have been thinking about dumping Adobe and getting Capture One Pro. I haven't looked a whole lot into the differences with the Adobe software yet. Sony customers get Capture One Pro for 50 dollars, though it does have some limitations.

https://www.phaseone.com/en/Online-Store/Sony-upgrades.aspx

trench301
(Post Master)
05/12/16 08:29 PM

I upgraded a few months after I got my 6d because the camera wasn't supported in cs5 and converting to .dng files was a massive PITA. Its a great product. No complaints. Get the NIK plugins since they're free now if you haven't already.

tylerdurden
(Post Master Supreme)
05/12/16 08:57 PM

Originally Posted By: Duc
umkay

Sorry man, I was a little excited.

Originally Posted By: ewraven
I've been using it since it was introduced. I like it, the included updates are great. The mobile versions of the software are nice to have.
I have been thinking about dumping Adobe and getting Capture One Pro. I haven't looked a whole lot into the differences with the Adobe software yet. Sony customers get Capture One Pro for 50 dollars, though it does have some limitations.

The mobile stuff doesn't seem all that useful to me. How do you use it?

Originally Posted By: trench301
I upgraded a few months after I got my 6d because the camera wasn't supported in cs5 and converting to .dng files was a massive PITA. Its a great product. No complaints. Get the NIK plugins since they're free now if you haven't already.

I'll check that out.

**DONOTDELETE**
()
05/13/16 09:10 AM

I was given a 1 year membership for free last year for the PS/LR CC package and while I was a huge fan of the LR upgrade, everything else CC has been pure garbage. Even on my work laptop (we have CC 2015 right now) they're all fucking shit.

They take forever to launch and be useful (PS on my work laptop will launch quickly, but is unresponsive for about 30 seconds). Dreamweaver CC will fail to respond if trying to open more than 3-4 files. When I close the program i'll sit there for about 30-45 seconds before finally shutting down.

I had similar issues on my home laptop (MBP) so it wasn't isolated. And when I didn't want to continue paying for it and go back to LR5, it changed my LR5 from being stand alone to being web version (can't remember Adobe's terminology) so it kept needing an Adobe account to work so I had to jump through a bunch of loopholes to get it to be stand alone again.

Ugh, fucking bullshit. Though in a year or two if I upgrade my camera i'll be forced to either take CC or just use Nikon's software.

LNXGUY
(Post Master Supreme)
05/13/16 09:36 AM

I tried CC, went back to CS6. It's just faster, plain and simple.

tylerdurden
(Post Master Supreme)
05/13/16 10:31 AM

I notice launching being a smidge slower on both, PS seems to open images a bit slower, but LR actually seems faster at rendering full res. In either case, the difference is rather small on my MBPr, not a deal breaker. Optimizing my catalog in LR seems to take noticeable longer, but I also added about 80 GB of images yesterday.

**DONOTDELETE**
()
05/13/16 12:18 PM

Originally Posted By: LNXGUY
I tried CC, went back to CS6. It's just faster, plain and simple.

Essentially this. i'll rock CS6 until the stupid raw support no longer supports any new camera I get.

trench301
(Post Master)
05/13/16 01:57 PM

I haven't noticed unnecessarily long load times, but I went from cs5 on an old hp laptop with 8gb ram to CC on an imac with 32gb so my mileage may vary. I haven't compared performance on the same machine.

ewraven
(Post Master Supreme)
05/14/16 01:57 PM

Originally Posted By: tylerdurden

I only use it for pictures I take with the phone. To crop and adjust some of the levels.

trench301
(Post Master)
05/14/16 02:00 PM

I only use it for pictures I take with the phone. To crop and adjust some of the levels.

Have you ever used snapseed? Curious how the two compare.

busfare
(Post Master Supreme)
05/14/16 06:35 PM

the ad/commercial/editorial industry widely uses Capture One, and while it has its slight advantages in terms of better raw processing, it's no reason to dump the $9.99 PS/LR deal. LR does everything else better, easier, smoother, faster than Capture One. (C1 is a turd w/ rendering previews when you jump from image to image, even on $10k 12-core Mac Pros). PS is a standalone requirement for more precise editing.

ewraven
(Post Master Supreme)
05/15/16 03:06 PM

I had not. But I downloaded it, looks pretty decent and easy to use. Should be fine for camera phone pics. Not sure how it would do on RAW images.

Originally Posted By: busfare

the ad/commercial/editorial industry widely uses Capture One, and while it has its slight advantages in terms of better raw processing, it's no reason to dump the $9.99 PS/LR deal. LR does everything else better, easier, smoother, faster than Capture One. (C1 is a turd w/ rendering previews when you jump from image to image, even on $10k 12-core Mac Pros). PS is a standalone requirement for more precise editing.

Thanks for the info. I'll still with CC then. I need to learn more about using Photoshop anyway, I've dabbled in it with videos but that is pretty much it.

Duc
(Post Master Supreme)
05/15/16 08:14 PM

capture one sucks donkey cock

Kierf
(Post Master Supreme)
05/15/16 11:09 PM

Why? When someone has an opinion like that, I want to know why. I'm always looking for something new and want to know if I should discount it or not.

01Ryan10
(Post Master Supreme)
05/19/16 02:01 PM

I've been using the 30-day evaluation of Adobe PS and LR for free the last 4 years or so. I just reimage computer when the 30 days have expired, and I need to use again. lol.

I've got a "golden" image where my folders and even desktop are redirected to a secondary drive. The image has Adobe CC installed as well as PS and LR 30 day evals. It literally takes about 15 minutes to reimage and be using PS or LR again with a fresh 30 days. LR catalog is fully intact and everything since folders and desktop is redirected in the "golden" image. Thanks Clonezilla

chef
(Post Master Supreme)
06/06/16 04:05 PM

well, it doesn't support color profiles with that one chart thing, but other than that, it's fantastic and has become my Aperture replacement. I feel like the quality of my finishing has increased substantially.

chef
(Post Master Supreme)
06/06/16 04:07 PM

The benefit of the Adobe cloud system would be syncing across platforms. Snapseed is pretty great for using the U point masks and quick edits. And it's free, or something. I've had it for ages now, not sure if it's for pay or not anymore