01Ryan10
(Post Master Supreme)
07/02/15 02:34 PM
Any guesses on the focal length used in this photo?

I normally shoot people/portrait, but I'm being asked to shoot several LearJets for a charter company. Below is an example of a typical interior shot I'll need. My widest lens is 50mm, and I know it will not produce similar results below. I'm leaning on purchasing a 16-28mm lens if I get the project, but still not sure if it is wide enough. I have not yet been in a LearJet, but from other interior pictures on the net, the photo below seems to have some wide angle distortion/stretching going on to make the cabin look bigger than it really is.

I'll be using my 5D.

Advice?

Example photo of LearJet 60 interior not taken by me.

tylerdurden
(Post Master Supreme)
07/02/15 03:38 PM
Re: Any guesses on the focal length used in this photo?

I doubt that's wider than 16mm.

chef
(Post Master Supreme)
07/02/15 07:09 PM

I'd guess that it's less distortion to make it appear wider, than it is to straighten out the lines and remove general distortion. If I think of it when I finally get home I can mount my 14-24 and try to get an idea of how that compares

01Ryan10
(Post Master Supreme)
07/02/15 07:41 PM

Cool. Thanks

busfare
(Post Master Supreme)
07/02/15 09:01 PM

16mm

Senor Eduardo_82
(Post Master Supreme)
07/03/15 11:49 AM

GoPro "M" setting.

Huggy
(Post Master Supreme)
07/03/15 03:21 PM

Originally Posted By: eddie _82
GoPro "M" setting.

LOL. If that were the case the exit sign wouldn't be legible and would look to be about 6 miles away.

MetalheaD
(Post Master Supreme)
07/04/15 09:57 PM

You're gonna be north of f8 to get that depth of field, so make sure you have some good lighting.

flyEX #1
(Post Master Supreme)
07/05/15 10:42 AM

For home interiors I use a 14mm at f8 and expose for about a second with remote shutter. DOF isn't really an issue. Using a speed light on a stick and stacking images works too. 16mm will work but you will wish you had a wider FOV in a cramped space like that.

chef
(Post Master Supreme)
07/06/15 10:41 AM

Yeah I finally remembered to look through my lens yesterday, and it looks like it's in that range. The 16 should probably do the trick, I don't think Canon has anything wider right? Lot of distortion with the 14-24 of course...

trench301
(Post Master)
07/06/15 01:35 PM

Canon has a 14mm 2.8L prime and a new 11-24 f/4L zoom (non-fisheye). Either of those could be rented for this job, if you dont think a 16mm will get the job done.

flyEX #1
(Post Master Supreme)
07/06/15 01:55 PM

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/769532-REG/Rokinon_FE14M_C_14mm_Ultra_Wide_Angle_f_2_8.html

If you have to use a canon this is the best lens for the $$$ unless you need the new 11-24 that costs 10 times as much. Great optics, manual aperture ring.... You have to use live view to focus or just put it at the hyperfocal distance around 7 feet.

chef
(Post Master Supreme)
07/06/15 02:20 PM

Originally Posted By: trench301
Canon has a 14mm 2.8L prime and a new 11-24 f/4L zoom (non-fisheye). Either of those could be rented for this job, if you dont think a 16mm will get the job done.
sweet choices

trench301
(Post Master)
07/06/15 03:55 PM

The Rokinon 14mm is extremely decent as well (See Salty's pics, I think that's what he uses). Lens has mustache distortion, but the profile in Camera Raw cleans it right up from what I've seen.

If you're going to rent I'd recommend the Canons, if youre going to buy, look at the 3rd party stuff.

Check Canonpricewatch.com if you're going to buy. Just got a 70-200 from BH through them for $1799.

**DONOTDELETE**
()
07/06/15 06:48 PM

According to his old as site, he had a 17-40 so that would be my guess depending on age of photo. If it is a newer photo, it could be that or the 16-35.

01Ryan10
(Post Master Supreme)
07/08/15 09:51 AM

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I'm going with a Tokina 16-28mm if I get the work. Tripod with a 1 second+ exposure should be fine. As tenplane suggested, I saw the equipment list for the guy's photo that I originally posted, and noticed the 17-40mm as well. Doesn't mean he used that, but It looks like 17-24mm range to me.

If I get the work, I'll post the results here. Probably won't be for a few weeks.

**DONOTDELETE**
()
07/08/15 12:23 PM

The 16-28 is a great lens, just too limiting in focal range for me. I went with the Tokina 17-35 f/4 instead. Accepts filters and is smaller/lighter.

01Ryan10
(Post Master Supreme)
07/08/15 12:53 PM

Originally Posted By: tenplanescrashing
The 16-28 is a great lens, just too limiting in focal range for me. I went with the Tokina 17-35 f/4 instead. Accepts filters and is smaller/lighter.

Great suggestion, and I will probably go that route. Really don't need the 1-stop increase of aperture the 16-28mm provides since I'll be shooting at f/8 or 11 for this project.

tylerdurden
(Post Master Supreme)
07/09/15 11:14 AM

If you can swing it, the 16-35 IS is probably the second best UWA zoom you can put on a Canon after the 11-24. I had the Tokina 16-28, and it was really good in terms of distortion and center sharpness, but the corners left something to be desired. I'm happier with the 16-35.

01Ryan10
(Post Master Supreme)
07/10/15 02:04 PM

Originally Posted By: tylerdurden
If you can swing it, the 16-35 IS is probably the second best UWA zoom you can put on a Canon after the 11-24. I had the Tokina 16-28, and it was really good in terms of distortion and center sharpness, but the corners left something to be desired. I'm happier with the 16-35.

It's nearly triple the cost. If it was couple hundred more, I'd probably get it, but not nearly triple.

Sir Salty A F
(Post Master Supreme)
07/19/15 02:10 PM

so, not sure if you've done this shoot yet or not, but i'd look strongly at the rokinon 14/2.8. it's pretty dang sharp, 14mm on full frame is super wide, and it's cheap. it does have a mustache distortion, but that can be easily taken out in photoshop.

here's a rather shitty pic i just ran out and took just to show you how wide it is. if you want to really minimize the distortion, keep the "horizon" in the center of the frame... basically keep the camera level and it's pretty minimal... i didn't do a good job with it on this shot (you can see it in the dome light on the ceiling) because i was shooting blind from the rear door, and it was a quicky shot moreso just to show the width.

single exposure on a tripod, ISO 100, f/16, 30" natural light.