Senor Eduardo_82
(Post Master Supreme)
01/19/15 02:00 PM
The 1DX is too damn fast.

Shot with one all day yesterday (bragpost). Had to show restraint when using the burst otherwise I'd end up with way more pictures than I actually needed. The AF was incredible though. And 12800 ISO, overexposed by 1/3 or so... virtually noiseless at web-resolutions.

But seriously, no one needs more than 10fps

#BillGatesNoOneNeedsMoreThan640kOfRAM

chef
(Post Master Supreme)
01/19/15 05:31 PM
Re: The 1DX is too damn fast.

I manhandled one at CES and it blew my mind. Had the 200-400 I think it was, the one with the teleconverter built into it. There was a 5d3 with the 800 on it. Ridiculous, just ridiculous

ewraven
(Post Master Supreme)
01/19/15 05:47 PM

My Sony A77ii shoots 12 frames per second with autofocus. The only real drawback is that for whatever reason it wants the aperture wide open the whole time.

For most things it is overkill. But you can't beat it for fast action. Look spray and pray.

Nate047
(Post Master Supreme)
02/10/15 08:34 PM

I like the fast frame rate of my D4 a lot for action shooting with cars. It's actually like the opposite of "spray and pray" in my opinion. With a slower rate of like a D800 or 5D etc you have half the chances to get the shot you actually want, so you end up shooting full burst, for longer periods, and not as close to the precise moment you want. Most of the time when I was shooting Canon with the 5D 2, 3, or my 1DS Mark III, and also with the D800 and D800E, I would end up with a shot that is right before the moment the wheels lift or the car jumps the curb, or right after it lands, as opposed to getting the exact moment I really want. And I still walk with like 9000 frames shot in a single race. With the D4, I know I can wait for just before the moment I want, shoot a burst, and get exactly what I need from one or more of the frames. I'll still walk with thousands of throw away shots, but I know each time I get ready for a moment, my odds are better with high frame rate. And yea the better AF is like the icing on the cake. Although the 5D 3 has the same AF system as the 1DX, and the D800 and 810 are really good as well. Just not *quite* as dope.

Nate

Senor Eduardo_82
(Post Master Supreme)
03/27/15 10:03 PM

Boss handed me a beat-to-hell 5D3 today to shoot with. It had some aftermarket grip on it, and most of the rubber on the body was loose/shifted or missing altogether. The shutter sounded like a pop can full of marbles. Supposedly had 400k+ shots on it. AF was decent I have to admit.

Later in the day I got the rental 1DX to play with. Practically brand new from Canon. Once again reminded me why I can't step back from the 1D series of bodies anymore.

For anyone thinking about it, beware, it's like crack.

Oh yea, 1D3 for sale.... real cheap ;\)

busfare
(Post Master Supreme)
03/28/15 10:34 AM

yea the 1dx is a beast. used it for the last 2 weeks on a shoot for hyperlapses. you can shoot 14fps if you do mirror lockup. we did run into an issue where the exposure would vary frame to frame due to aperture flicker (ie inconsistent aperture hole size/shape set for each frame, at 12-14 times per second!). so to solve the issue, you have to hit live view, set the mode to "movie" (as opposed to "stills"), then fire. this way the aperture stays locked and you can eliminate mechanical inconsistencies.

Nate047
(Post Master Supreme)
03/29/15 02:26 PM

Originally Posted By: eddie _82
AF was decent I have to admit.

5D Mark III has the same AF as the 1DX.

Nate

Senor Eduardo_82
(Post Master Supreme)
03/30/15 09:48 AM

I'm gonna get even more intimate with the 5D3 in a couple of weeks. But this one will be in much better condition.

1D3 still for sale ;\)

chef
(Post Master Supreme)
03/30/15 11:07 AM

refurb D4's from Nikon on Adorama are 3k. Anyone want to buy my d700 w/ grip?

Senor Eduardo_82
(Post Master Supreme)
04/07/15 01:41 PM

Hmmmm

NOT spotch...
(Post Master Supreme)
04/07/15 08:18 PM

$4900 bux
http://www.canonpricewatch.com/blog/2015...price-now-4899/