Duc
(Post Master Supreme)
07/24/14 11:45 AM
collaborative licensing question

a guy messaged me over the weekend after my accident about working together on some projects since he noticed that I primarily do photography and he likes to do video (he has about 9 copters and quad copters).

we're supposed to work together this weekend in a joint effort to cover an event but should I set up a collective collaboration agreement to protect my work from him using it for his gain or should I leave it as a collaboration between the two entities and hope/assume that my work will be showcased on his site giving me credit for what I contributed.

yes I can and do watermark my images but at the same time, I will not watermark mine in a way that it totally destroys the body of work that went into an image (I've heard of people adding info into the data of a photograph to establish clam/protect their work there as well)

LNXGUY
(Post Master Supreme)
07/24/14 11:59 AM
Re: collaborative licensing question

I'd lose the watermarks all together. Tacky and they don't protect anything to be honest. Talk to him beforehand, lay the ground rules (ie photo credit) and be done with it.

I'm assuming neither of you are getting paid to cover this event?

Duc
(Post Master Supreme)
07/24/14 12:15 PM

nope Bill but it will have major sponsors and teams there that can lead to potential jobs.

he had a one on one shoot with one of the major shock companies in the industry last sunday.

some of this makes me feel as though it's a "let's work together so that I can prosper while you....." when I sat back and did my research on him, his website, and his facebook page (people are starting to use these as mediums to push social media traffic over to their website to help them grow) as well as people who we've worked with.

LNXGUY
(Post Master Supreme)
07/24/14 12:33 PM

It sounds like he's on his way already, might be a chance for you to ride his coat tails a bit and meet up with some potential contacts. Just make sure you've got some business cards or something to hand out with your website, etc.. Sounds like a good opportunity to be honest.

Duc
(Post Master Supreme)
07/24/14 12:35 PM

thanks Bill.

appreciate the advice.

I have a really good amount of business cards already made. Nate gave me a good site that helped me out

LNXGUY
(Post Master Supreme)
07/24/14 12:37 PM

Sweet! Let us know how the event goes.

GB
(Post Master Supreme)
07/31/14 09:20 PM

You're taking this photo thing way too seriously at the juncture you're at.

Nate047
(Post Master Supreme)
07/31/14 10:28 PM

Originally Posted By: gb
You're taking this photo thing way too seriously at the juncture you're at.

I disagree on this. It's never too early to take it seriously from a business standpoint, lots of people get fucked over in the beginning so if you can protect yourself, why not. No matter what the future holds for one's career, it's never bad to think about stuff like this.

Ty, I would just talk to the guy off record and make sure you are on the same page, and if you do want to draft a contract you can use legal zoom or something like that. If there is a potential for a lot of money or something else we're not privy to, use a real lawyer.

Nate

Duc
(Post Master Supreme)
08/01/14 05:15 AM

easiest thing to say without standing on the soapbox wasting everyone's time reading this is that my dedication to my craft and delivering a solid product is more than his. yes, he's learned how to fly copters for aerial footage but his deliverables and the presentation of them thru social media and external websites is not on par with where mine are.

when i started seeing that i had creators of some of the biggest websites and companies following my work and praising some of the pictures....i had begin to take my work serious.