SportinTheV-Tec
(Newbie)
01/28/07 03:53 PM
Si over an EX

K so im turning 16 in a month and ive been looking for a SI but where i live (wisconsin) im not finding any in my price range (7,000 and >). But theres plenty of EX's. My friend has a 86 civic with a 00' si engine and it flys thats kinda why i want a SI. But is there really such a difference in a SI and EX (manual EX of course). Being the way my dad is im not going to be able to do any performance upgrades unless there hidden so help me please.

Thanks!!

vollrathian
(Member)
01/28/07 06:19 PM
Re: Si over an EX

do some reading around the forum this question has been answered before

Nihsnek
(Newbie)
01/28/07 09:12 PM

Here:

D16Y8

* VTEC
* Found in:
o 1996-2000 Honda Civic EX
o 1996-1998 Honda Civic Coupe SiR (UK model
o 1997-2000 Acura 1.6EL
o 1996-1998 Honda Civic Si
+ Displacement : 1590 cm3
+ Bore and Stroke : 75 mm X 90 mm
+ Compression : 9.6:1
+ Power : 127 hp @ 6600 rpm & 107 ft·lbf @ 5500 rpm
+ VTEC Switchover: 5200 rpm
+ Valvetrain : SOHC VTEC
+ Fuel Control : OBD-2 MPFI
+ Head Code : P2J

That's for an EX

B16A2

* VTEC
o 1992-2000 Honda Civic EDM VTi (EG & EK)
+ Displacement: 1595 cm³
+ Compression: 10.2:1
+ Power: 158 hp @ 7600 rpm & 113 ft·lbf (153 N·m) @ 7300 rpm
+ Transmission: Y21
o 1999-2000 Honda Civic Si (EM1)
+ Compression: 10.2:1
+ Power: 160 hp (118 kW) @ 7600 rpm & 111 ft·lbf (151 N·m) @ 7000 rpm
+ Transmission: Y21 S4C
o 1996-1997 Honda Del Sol VTEC (EG)
+ Compression: 10.4:1
+ Power: 160 hp (119 kW) @ 7800 rpm & 111 ft·lbf (152 N·m) @ 7000 rpm
+ Transmission: Y21

And there's a 1992-2000 Si.

In my opinion, I'd always dish out the extra $500ish for an Si(if you play your cards right).

Keep looking, go to some car auctions, and all the "tote-the-note"(cheap mexican-ran car lots) near you. Keeping telling everyone to keep an eye out, and you'll find one soon.

GL and enjoy your first year as a driver!

SportinTheV-Tec
(Newbie)
01/28/07 10:00 PM

Ok thanks, ive been looking within 100 miles but like i said i need to stay around 7k cause of my dad

NOHC
(Post Master Supreme)
01/29/07 10:26 AM

Originally Posted By: SportinTheV-Tec
but like i said i need to stay around 7k cause of my dad

So imagine how pissed your dad's gonna be when your Si gets stolen.

Find yourself less of a theft magnet.

SportinTheV-Tec
(Newbie)
01/29/07 04:38 PM

haha where i live id laugh if it got stolen, my dad leaves his 50k suv outaide some nights nothins ever been touched around here

NOHC
(Post Master Supreme)
01/29/07 05:36 PM

haha where i live id laugh if it got stolen, my dad leaves his 50k suv outaide some nights nothins ever been touched around here

Famous last words, my good man.

Napoleon4
(Newbie)
01/29/07 07:28 PM

You will regret it if you dont by an si. Just like every other car, if it comes fro mthe factory with upgrades and you dont get that model then you will be kicking yourself later. I once bought a 1g dsm that was not turbo. That is the worse thing you could do.

SportinTheV-Tec
(Newbie)
01/29/07 08:34 PM

yea but so far my dad doesnt know the difference between and civic (dx, si le, ex)but im guesing what makes hte SI special would make him lean toward something else.

NOHC
(Post Master Supreme)
01/30/07 07:46 AM

yea but so far my dad doesnt know the difference between and civic (dx, si le, ex)but im guesing what makes hte SI special would make him lean toward something else.

Lying to him, especially about a car with notoriously high insurance rates on just about ANY driver isn't the way to win him over on it.

ware
(Jr Poster)
01/30/07 10:39 AM

Originally Posted By: NOHC

Lying to him, especially about a car with notoriously high insurance rates on just about ANY driver isn't the way to win him over on it.

yeah, better look into the insurance first .. and as for my opinion, try to grab an si .. i wanted one but couldnt find one under 8k and if i did they would be salvaged. I ended up getting a 00 ex, i like it, but i do regret it and looking to see if i can trade it in for a 00 si

**DONOTDELETE**
()
01/30/07 03:02 PM

Originally Posted By: NOHC

[censored]. You have no idea how horrid insurance can be to pay until you start paying it yourself, and at some point, your dad will be cutting you off, unless he plans on spoiling your ass and making you a whining loser like 85% of kids these days. I picked up an '04 Ion Redline back in August, financed at like 20% interest (thanks bad credit), which gave me a $373 a month car payment. On top of that, being 21, my insurance is $160 a month, because there is no way I could afford the whopping 6 month payment plan. So, that puts me with $533 a month, just on the car and insurance. This isn't including gas (premium only), and oil changes (mobil 1, $6 a quart x 7 quarts), and all the other expensive bullshit involved in owning a car. Do I like the car? Yes. Should I have bought a beater till I'm 25 or so? Maybe. It'd be a hell of a lot cheaper.

SickSi99
(Poster)
01/30/07 03:50 PM

insurance on my si is only $66 a month ;\)

jellydoughnutt
(Post Master Sr)
01/30/07 07:51 PM

try autotrader.com i always see buttloads of them on there and for pretty good prices

SportinTheV-Tec
(Newbie)
01/31/07 09:49 PM

yea my dads gonna pay my insurence only if i have a B average, if i dont get a B he either parks the car or i pay

JDMaHolicAccord
(Sr Member)
02/19/07 08:00 PM

u should buy a dx

SamuraiSam
(Post Master Sr)
02/21/07 12:25 AM

what's V-Tec

A_MantisAdministrator
(Post Master Supreme)
03/01/07 10:37 PM

Why not buy an Integra GSR? More power, more torque, better brakes + has ABS (remember, SI = no ABS), and looks better IMHO. You can pick up a 95-98 for less than $7k.

aemsi15
(Major Member)
03/07/07 01:06 AM

i agree go gsr. and insurance on my si raped me in the ass

hondasi88
(Newbie)
03/31/07 12:29 AM

or take it way way way way back and get 1992-1993 GS-R b17a very similar to the si engine \:\)

if u were closer i would sell you mine!

cvc_crazian
(Newbie)
04/07/07 03:25 AM

personally, i would advise you to buy an older car. i mean your dad may be rich, but you're learning how to drive and theres nothing i hate more than some punk rich kid in some car that he can't drive worth shi*. sure hes got those "stunna shades" pimpin in his "dub shoes" (rims) with his illegal tint all around the car. But let the green light go and he's just gonna floor it and know nothing about how the car feels on a track or how to drive it period. buy a car that you can learn how to drive, how to know how it feels then upgrade if you can afford it. for a first car if you can afford, i would probably recommend some kind of older sportier car, maybe an older prelude to start off with ( h23 or h22 ). this will get your panties goin. then upgrade to a a newer car, such as the si, when you feel that you have got the feel of the road

aemsi15
(Major Member)
04/11/07 02:57 AM

Originally Posted By: cvc_crazian
personally, i would advise you to buy an older car. i mean your dad may be rich, but you're learning how to drive and theres nothing i hate more than some punk rich kid in some car that he can't drive worth shi*. sure hes got those "stunna shades" pimpin in his "dub shoes" (rims) with his illegal tint all around the car. But let the green light go and he's just gonna floor it and know nothing about how the car feels on a track or how to drive it period. buy a car that you can learn how to drive, how to know how it feels then upgrade if you can afford it. for a first car if you can afford, i would probably recommend some kind of older sportier car, maybe an older prelude to start off with ( h23 or h22 ). this will get your panties goin. then upgrade to a a newer car, such as the si, when you feel that you have got the feel of the road

so what your saying is you learn better on a older car then a newer car

SIRIUS EJ8
(Newbie)
04/13/07 11:45 AM

buy one from another state and do a pick up...

civicbooty
(Post Master Jr)
04/13/07 12:25 PM

i say, if you plan on keeping the car for a long time, screw them both and get an automatic 4 door gsr!!!

i have the ex, and while i do thank god its auto matic after a few long nights at clubs and bars when i couldnt drive, i have driven the si and want its power(and then some) get the best of both worlds...

auto 98-01 gsr !!!

**DONOTDELETE**
()
04/13/07 11:48 PM

Originally Posted By: aemsi15
so what your saying is you learn better on a older car then a newer car
I would venture to say that, and for several reasons.
1. An older car may very well have a cable clutch, which imo is a lot harder than a hydraulic to drive.
2. An older car is cheaper, and therefore will be less of a heartbreaker if you burn up the clutch, bend a shift fork, etc etc.
3. Lots of times and older car may be less expensive to fix. For instance, I would be willing to bet the clutch on say a 1992 civic with a d series is cheaper than an 00 si. I'll check autozone real quick. 92 hb with 1.5l = $119.99; 00 Si $214.99

ransho84
(Newbie)
04/18/07 11:26 PM

go DX with a motor swap to save on insurance...LoL