TranZenD si 209
(Major Member)
06/16/06 01:38 PM
running 2 ohms on a 4 ohm stable amp?

how bad is it to wire up a single dvc sub to 2 ohms and have it bridge to a 4 ohm stable amp? will it be safe to run? will the amp fry? the sub is a 10 rockford dvc model and the amp is a mtx thunder 302. should i just run it 8 ohms to be on the safe side?

00CivicSI-R
(Jr Member)
06/16/06 03:39 PM
Re: running 2 ohms on a 4 ohm stable amp?

you can wire up a dvc sub in 2 ohms or 4 ohms, thats why its dvc. 8 ohms wouldnt be safe, home speakers use 8 ohms. .

rcurley55
(Post Master Supreme)
06/16/06 03:48 PM

Quote:

you can wire up a dvc sub in 2 ohms or 4 ohms, thats why its dvc. 8 ohms wouldnt be safe, home speakers use 8 ohms. .

this is not true.

first we look at the rating on each coil.....it seem's the OP's sub is a dual 4 ohm sub - so each coil has a nominal rating of 4 ohms.

If we wire the coils in Parallel - the result will be a 2 ohm load to the amplifier
If we wire the coils in Series - the result will be a 8 ohm load to the amplifer

Numerically higher loads are considered easier to handle by amplifiers - and vice-versa

If the amplifier is not rated as stable when bridged to a 2 ohm mono load - don't do it (and most aren't). Best case scenario, the amp either shuts down or trims power back so it doesn't blow up....worst case scenario is the amp frys.

Generally speaking, you can't harm an amplifier by running a numerically higher load - so wire it in series and enjoy...

TranZenD si 209
(Major Member)
06/16/06 03:52 PM

thx for the info rcurley55

00CivicSI-R
(Jr Member)
06/16/06 10:38 PM

right on R...i just realize what i wrote LOL.

FBPearl'99Si
(Jr Poster)
08/03/06 02:43 PM

You could get another DVC sub and then connect them in the following set up:

Run the 2 DVC's in both parallel and series. Since you are running 2 DVC, you should have 4 coils. If you wire it up correctly then you could put 2 coils in series making 8 ohms then wiring the other 2 coils in series making another 8 ohms. Then wiring these series connections would then put them into a 4 ohm setup.

I know this would work (in theory) but I am not quite sure the affect on the subs. If someone has objections and y this would work let me know. I might need to clarify myself a little more on this as well.

mhart
(Post Master Supreme)
08/03/06 03:27 PM

just run it at 8 ohms.

boosted9974
(Post Master)
08/06/06 04:40 PM

Quote:

just run it at 8 ohms.

that's what i would do. it won't put out as much power but the amp will not have to work as hard and will run cooler.