Wildout
(Post Master Jr)
09/21/16 09:34 AM
Nine Students Own $57 Million of Property in Vancouver

Quote:
In Vancouver, AKA real estate's Twilight Zone, a bunch of students own $57-million worth of property in the city's affluent Point Grey neighbourhood.

These nine homeowners, who we can only assume have never had to subsist off instant noodles, are literally listed as "students" on land title documents obtained by BC's New Democratic Party.

http://www.vice.com/en_ca/read/nine-students-own-57-million-of-property-in-vancouver

Screamin Type ARGH!
(Post Master Supreme)
09/21/16 02:25 PM
Re: Nine Students Own $57 Million of Property in Vancouver

yup, a farce.

but hey they will do anything to skirt the system i guess (as we know already). sad and lame of Canada to not have better checks/balances in place to curb this kinda stuff but oh wel.

iamfob
(Post Master Supreme)
09/21/16 03:09 PM

Cray

TheRealCSnapper
(Post Master Supreme)
09/21/16 03:42 PM

the problem is not them defaulting on the mortgages...what sort of checks & balances do you want?

if the bank underwriting the mortgage is willing to take on the risk, and these people are making the payments, the banks don't really give a fuck if they worked for the money or sucked dick for money....

and the one guy who made $1.5M on a flip is any indication, they're way better at making money than us working chumps lol

i'm not saying it's right, but i'm not saying it's wrong...if the people that are taking on the risk is okay with it, let them have at it

titty sprinkles
(Post Master Supreme)
09/21/16 04:43 PM

lol "students".....rightttttt

JEFFOS
(Post Master Supreme)
09/21/16 05:47 PM

Originally Posted By: TheRealCSnapper
the problem is not them defaulting on the mortgages...what sort of checks & balances do you want?

if the bank underwriting the mortgage is willing to take on the risk, and these people are making the payments, the banks don't really give a fuck if they worked for the money or sucked dick for money....

and the one guy who made $1.5M on a flip is any indication, they're way better at making money than us working chumps lol

i'm not saying it's right, but i'm not saying it's wrong...if the people that are taking on the risk is okay with it, let them have at it

It's wrong because it's an uneven playing field for those trying to live and work and contribute to Canada. Basically the average Canadian. The average family can't afford a house and to live a normal life (as defined just 5-10 years ago) because of these outside investments. As a first world country this doesn't align. It's worse than in the USA where the income is much more concentrated at the high end and still in most places housing is more affordable (and taxes less)

So the people coming in and doing it I understand (however the system allows them to skirt many things and I'm sure taxes -- students with no income buying $1.5M+ houses). The government needs to step in and correct the system so it can't be taken advantage of in such a way.

c2k
(Post Master Supreme)
09/21/16 07:47 PM

lawsuit filed against bc government on the tax

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-co...y-tax-1.3769751

WAHHHHHHH cry me a river, GFTO.

OracerO
(Post Master Sr)
09/26/16 02:15 PM

i wish i was one of those students.

Screamin Type ARGH!
(Post Master Supreme)
09/26/16 02:36 PM

Originally Posted By: OracerO
i wish i was one of those students.

no you don't because then you would have to spend $57 million to fix your bruckup teeth

Screamin Type ARGH!
(Post Master Supreme)
11/10/16 08:37 PM

OH HEERRROOOOOOOO

http://www.calgaryherald.com/vancouver+slaps+year+empty+homes+about/12372683/story.html

Risky Business
(Post Master Supreme)
11/10/16 09:36 PM

Proper. I just came back from van city and these fucks are literally ruining the best part of our country.

JEFFOS
(Post Master Supreme)
11/10/16 09:56 PM

A bit late but I love that they're at least doing something about the issue with home affordability / availability

Wildout
(Post Master Jr)
11/11/16 03:27 PM

Are they back-dating it? That would be instantly amazing!

Screamin Type ARGH!
(Post Master Supreme)
11/12/16 03:28 PM

so apparently regular like 2600 sq ft richmond hill single detached homes (yonge and elgin mills, say 5 yrs old) with nothing much done to them are now going for $1.8 mil...

WTFINFUCK

Big Tasty
(Post Master Supreme)
11/12/16 05:09 PM

Madness.

Choco 'Nuck
(Post Master Supreme)
11/12/16 05:36 PM

Look at the community there to see who is buying .

xza8
(Sr Member)
11/12/16 09:11 PM

Originally Posted By: Screamin DC2R
so apparently regular like 2600 sq ft richmond hill single detached homes (yonge and elgin mills, say 5 yrs old) with nothing much done to them are now going for $1.8 mil...

WTFINFUCK

Like this house?

http://gtasoldview.com/Form/public/SoldResult.aspx?tfm=1&HouseSoldId=225765367

The Postman
(Post Master Sr)
11/12/16 10:47 PM

LOL. That house is $450K here in Hamilton. Save yourself a cool mil and commute.

c2k
(Post Master Supreme)
11/13/16 10:58 AM

As much as I can vouch brinbrook, stoney creek, ancaster, upper Hamilton, dundas being a nice place to live. But youd be out of your mind to commute from there to the city.

Side note - there are a handful of houses for sale off of Mississauga road that are empty.

Screamin Type ARGH!
(Post Master Supreme)
11/14/16 03:19 PM

such impact much wow =\

https://www.thestar.com/news/queenspark/...fer-rebate.html

c2k
(Post Master Supreme)
11/14/16 06:34 PM

Originally Posted By: Screamin DC2R

Holy fuck! The government is hilarious!!!!!