furball
(Post Master Sr)
07/29/15 07:33 AM
Shoe maintenance

Anyone anal enough to be into shoe maintenance as a 'hobby'/relaxation thing?

I haven't done it, but have 1-2 fb friends who are pretty boy hipsters/dapper and went all out with a shoe box thingie, complete with all the shoe cremes, horse-hair brushes, shoe trees, etc... (He cleans his shoes like ~4 times/yr, I guess like how guys wash/wax their cars a few times/yr.)

Where dafuq do I even pick this shit up? Only place I can think of is that Moneysworth(?) shoe repair chain...

Dem broguing causing me a headache... all dem fucking holes.

Senor Eduardo_82
(Post Master Supreme)
07/29/15 07:48 AM
Re: Shoe maintenance

Amazon.

I've got a horsehair brush and a few products to apply periodically.

c2k
(Post Master Supreme)
07/29/15 08:00 AM

Hipster gunna hip.

Screamin Type ARGH!
(Post Master Supreme)
07/29/15 08:18 AM

holy gayness

Simon_the_Pieman
(Post Master Sr)
07/29/15 09:15 AM

My dress shoes I take to someone to get cleaned/polished.

My sneakers I clean myself. Using a light soap and water solution and soft brush/cloth. I use Castille soap.

It is kinda gratifying bringing beat up kicks back to life but I wouldnt call it my hobby.

loudsubz
(Post Master Supreme)
07/29/15 09:32 AM

No maintenance on $20 Walmart shoes

furball
(Post Master Sr)
07/29/15 10:23 AM

You mean... the 3 pairs of Hush Puppies you ordered?

Originally Posted By: loudsubz
No maintenance on $20 Walmart shoes

loudsubz
(Post Master Supreme)
07/29/15 10:26 AM

What? I got no time for that

Lafora
(Post Master Sr)
07/29/15 11:20 AM

not even going to apologize for being anal about my shoes. not a hobby per se; just like how making sure all my shirts are pressed and pants have a crease is also not a hobby. just a part of being dressed "neatly". If there's one thing that bothers me personally is wearing scruffy dress shoes.

^
those are my beaters. the one thing i don't really do is dress the edges; but the uppers I make sure they're mint.

where do you get that shit: well I used a cardboard box for the longest time to put all the shit in; then found a "valet" for 5 bucks at a garage sale. the brushes I got from the shoe repair place at first markham place for 5 bucks; and the cream and polish I either get from a place downtown or i get them when i order my shoes online.

hyper-s2k
(Post Master Supreme)
07/29/15 12:41 PM

those are quite shiny even for beater shoes!

i don't think any new dress shoes of mine even shine like that (and I only have 2 pairs - lol). \:D

markw
(Post Master Supreme)
07/29/15 12:45 PM

My old man was an army brat growing up, he was taught that his shoes always have to shine like that.. and he now gets angry if he sees me in dirty dress shoes..

that being said, I let the shoe shine dude take care of em while I play with my phone.

Sneakers on the other hand, I have a full drawer full of Jason Markk cleaning products

porschetr
(Post Master Supreme)
07/29/15 01:57 PM

Sneakers/running shows,
I rinse with water, brush with laundry detergent, rinse.
Comes out pretty clean.

4Three
(Post Master Sr)
07/29/15 01:58 PM

i don't own dress shoes nice enough to require that level of attention. in fact, they might not even earn the right to be called dress shoes.

:P

titty sprinkles
(Post Master Supreme)
07/29/15 02:19 PM

I would probably shine them if they weren't from payless.

actually my nice ones i've only worn once.

furball
(Post Master Sr)
07/29/15 02:26 PM

IIRC, I saw a movie where some guy was spit-shining his army boots... then lit the shoe polish creme on fire ...

Originally Posted By: markw
My old man was an army brat growing up, he was taught that his shoes always have to shine like that.. and he now gets angry if he sees me in dirty dress shoes..

Senor Eduardo_82
(Post Master Supreme)
07/29/15 02:54 PM

I saw a movie where some guy delivered a pizza to a bunch of women having a birthday party.

Simon_the_Pieman
(Post Master Sr)
07/29/15 04:31 PM

Originally Posted By: markw

that being said, I let the shoe shine dude take care of em while I play with my phone.

Sneakers on the other hand, I have a full drawer full of Jason Markk cleaning products

markkkkkkk

jason markk is rebranded castile soap.
grab some (read the bottle make sure no dyes just organic oils) and try a spot on your sneakers. i switched from expensive jason markk to dr. bronners.

if you dont like the bronners use it in the shower! lol

Lafora
(Post Master Sr)
07/29/15 09:51 PM

Originally Posted By: hyper-s2k
those are quite shiny even for beater shoes!

i don't think any new dress shoes of mine even shine like that (and I only have 2 pairs - lol). \:D

i have a few pairs that i rotate; but only two has non leather soles for rain / light snow or what have you and that's one of em.

believe it or not once you put that high shine on it, the chances of damaging the actual leather itself is actually less than had one left it alone. even if you mistakenly kick something at the toe, all it needs is a quick buff and it'll be good as new.

the initial polish takes the longest; maintenance after that is a five min job.

Euphoricuck
(Post Master Supreme)
07/30/15 12:09 AM

Originally Posted By: Lafora

Quote:
You can get beat up for wearing something like that.

Lafora
(Post Master Sr)
07/30/15 08:13 PM

Originally Posted By: Euphoric

Quote:
You can get beat up for wearing something like that.

pretty sure chances of getting the beats while wearing chucks or jordans or crocs are infinitely higher than if one was wearing john lobbs

furball
(Post Master Sr)
07/31/15 06:36 AM

Holy shit Lafora, that's just too shiny for me LOL ...

I would love me some double-monks, but then that kills off my attention to laces lulz... Gonna 'up' my ghetto Aldos to Johnston & Murphys ... Can't seem to afford Cole Haans or anything else out there... Faux baller represent...