fatso
(Post Master)
05/07/14 03:23 PM
Anyone have one of these I could rent/borrow? v. Honda tool

So, my car has recently developed a steering issue - there's a bit of play in the wheel. I'm thinking my steering rack needs adjusting. So I'm looking for a 40mm wrench. Honda's version of it looks like this:

Honda wants $98 to buy the tool... I can't justify paying 1/3rd the value of my car for the tool. Figured since so many of you guys were once Honda peeps, someone would have this thing kicking around... wishful thinking? \:D

Risky Business
(Post Master Supreme)
05/07/14 03:40 PM
Re: Anyone have one of these I could rent/borrow? v. Honda tool

Bicycle store

zc911
(Post Master Supreme)
05/07/14 04:05 PM

Princess auto, probably find a wrench for. $20 that will work

1300cc_Rocket
(Post Master Jr)
05/08/14 01:09 PM

I have one, Check PM.

civic13
(Post Master)
05/08/14 03:03 PM

Originally Posted By: fatso
So, my car has recently developed a steering issue - there's a bit of play in the wheel. I'm thinking my steering rack needs adjusting.

Not to hijack this thread but does that issue feel like something's not tight when you either go over bumps, turn left/right? Cuz I know something's wrong with my steering for my mazda but every time I tell the techs at the stealership they can't "replicate" it or say nothing's wrong.

I hear like clunking sounds too.

fatso
(Post Master)
05/08/14 03:26 PM

If I'm honest, I'm not 100% sure that tightening the steering rack will solve my issue. I currently experience some intermittent play in the steering wheel. Sometimes it feels tight, other times, it's loose. And by loose, I mean I can turn the wheel about 10 degrees left and right and yet the wheels on the ground don't move.

At this point, I'm just going through and eliminating things it could be. I recently had to replace an axle, so I did both. While I was there, I replaced my outer tie rods. I checked the steering column when I get the loose feel, the entire column turns with the steering wheel. The u-bolt on the column is tight too. Also checked the ball-joints - they all seem to be tight. Pretty sure this is the last thing that it could be. If this doesn't fix it, I'll probably just replace the steering rack.

Edit: I don't hear any clunking sounds.