zaius
(Post Master Sr)
03/06/13 04:30 PM
environmental fees v.electronics

JEEZ

Environmental Disposal Fee $12.25

for a 24" monitor. WTF dalton.

i'd love to know if this tax completely goes straight to environment recycling. i have a feeling it doesn't at all and just pads some lobbylist's pocket.

4age
(Post Master Sr)
03/06/13 04:58 PM
Re: environmental fees v.electronics

My thoughts exactly. I just encountered this today.
I would really hope it goes towards environmental disposal as you mentioned...though I suspect it's just a tax grab :p

EDIT: but I will mention that I do like the idea (if it's well executed ie - goes towards recycling or whatever). So many people buy electronics, and toss them shortly due to the modern day uber-short product lifecycles. This shit doesn't just disappear into thin air...and the issue of batteries in the environment do matter.

oranjizz
(Post Master)
03/07/13 05:16 PM

My idea has always been that you get 50% of the cash back when you return that shit to the dump just like empties to the beer store. GG no more e-waste being tossed in the trash.

whitecivicsi
(Post Master Sr)
03/07/13 07:04 PM

Yeah I hate that, I wanted to buy a 3D LED HDTV from a big box store and saw the disposal fee they were charging and just ended up buying the same TV from a shady Russian guy selling electronics from a warehouse.

titty sprinkles
(Post Master Supreme)
03/07/13 07:17 PM

Originally Posted By: oranjizz
My idea has always been that you get 50% of the cash back when you return that shit to the dump just like empties to the beer store. GG no more e-waste being tossed in the trash.

is that true? i got nailed with it when i bought the two tv's in one weekend. i have the shitty astar sitting here that i need to dump.