Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#4693065 - 04/23/10 09:25 PM Hamstring -- should I be concerned?
mrnismo Offline
Post Master

Loc: PCB
I don't think I've ever hurt my hamstring in any way before so not sure what it is I've done now.

Last night I was practicing kicks when I leaned to touch the floor with left leg kicking high and right leg supporting. At the strongest stretch point, my right hamstring felt a real big 'jolt' of pain that went away quickly actually but a weird pain and a general feeling of weakness lingered. It still feels pretty much fully functional, just not quite right.

Tonight I get to the gym and warm up good before doing a total of 4 exercises:

-- Squat which felt ok but a little weak overall
-- Pendlay rows which were the exercise that put the most stress on the hurt area
-- Romanian DL's which were the strongest move and I moved more weight more times than I ever have. This really suprised me but the hurt area did not come into play here.
-- Overhead presses -- Hamstring was not an issue

My hamstring feels sore and it's obviously hurt in some way but does this sound like anything to worry about or just keep working through. I'm icing it now and it feels ok. Supposed to do a karate tournament tomorrow but thinking the anxiety of it being my first time might cause me to do something stupid hehe.

Drew I'm sure you know something about hamstrings as hard as you work them

#4693381 - 04/23/10 11:43 PM Re: Hamstring -- should I be concerned? [Re: mrnismo]
Silock Moderator Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Jayhawk Country
Sounds like you shocked the nerves a bit. That's probably why you felt a little weaker. This principle is used in "nerve glides" to help increase flexibility, but you can overdo it. Sounds like that may have been what happened inadvertently.

You should be okay. But if there's PAIN, I'd stay away from heavy hamstring movements.

#4694714 - 04/24/10 08:43 PM Re: Hamstring -- should I be concerned? [Re: Silock]
Krys Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: texas
Doesn't sound torn, just stressed to me. Ditto what Drew said. Take it easy and don't try and overdo anything.

I had mine torn about 10 weeks ago by my physical therapist when he was stretching me. You'll know the difference \:\( It hurts a lot when torn. Even walking is painful.

Hopefully you'll feel better soon \:\)

#4694796 - 04/24/10 09:36 PM Re: Hamstring -- should I be concerned? [Re: Krys]
mrnismo Offline
Post Master

Loc: PCB
You guys both were dead on with the analysis. It actually felt a lot better this morning -- I can tell where it used to hurt but definitely nothing that needs too much time to heal. I think some LITE stretching tomorrow and it'll be fine \:\)

Edit - Krys I definitely didn't feel the pain that you describe which I feel very fortunate for. Hope you're better now too.

Edited by mrnismo (04/24/10 09:38 PM)
Edit Reason: Ouch!

#4695230 - 04/25/10 07:28 AM Re: Hamstring -- should I be concerned? [Re: mrnismo]
Krys Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: texas
Glad you're feeling better \:\)

Mine is finally about 90% healed. I will start doing some lower body work with my trainer next week and see how it goes. When doing upper/core this week that has the hamstring engaged, I was just having mild spasms instead of the flat out pain that I had a few weeks ago, so it's on the upswing for sure!

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  Silock, Professor Paki 
Hop to:
Shout Box

CSi Sponsors

DiGBiC Lighters
DiGBiC Lighters
DallasColo
Dallas Colocation
ClubSi.com Shirts
ClubSi-Shirts
GameStop
Black-Friday Specials
Big Brake Kits
StopTech.Sale BBK Clearance
Brake Kits
Buy Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
BuyBrakes
Brake Kits-Pads & Rotors Sets
StopTech Brake Kits
StopTech
StopTech NZ
StopTech
StopTech Australia
StopTech
Hawk Brake Pads
Hawk Brake Pads
Samys Camera
GoPros, Cameras, Gear
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Pad Coupons
Coupon Code "hondafetish"
Porsche Brakes
Porsche Brake Upgrades
2-Piece Rotors-Civic Type-R
2-Piece Civic Rotors
Advertisement

| Brake Pads | | How To Change Brake Pads | | Drilled Slotted Brake Kits Cheap | EBC Brake Kits | Performance Brake Kits | Brake Specials Near Me | How To Replace Brake Pads