Page 1 of 2 12>
Topic Options
#8662567 - 05/18/16 12:58 PM Toronto house listed at $1 in hopes of starting bidding war
c2k Moderator Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Wiesloch-Walldorf, Germany
http://www.metronews.ca/news/toronto/2016/05/17/toronto-house-listed-at-1-dollar.html

I'll bid $1.00 with financial conditions just for shits 'n' giggles.

#8662602 - 05/18/16 01:12 PM Re: Toronto house listed at $1 in hopes of starting bidding war [Re: c2k]
TheRealCSnapper Moderator Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Toronto, Canada
looks like Manjit Singh watched Million Dollar Listing NY from 2 weeks ago when Ryan listed a property without a price to have the buyer set the price & bidding war.
#8662613 - 05/18/16 01:23 PM Re: Toronto house listed at $1 in hopes of starting bidding war [Re: c2k]
Risky Business Offline
Provides a Great Work Environment. he/him
Post Master Supreme

Not the first time someone has done it, dat renewed publicity is good on slow days tho.
#8662752 - 05/18/16 03:14 PM Re: Toronto house listed at $1 in hopes of starting bidding war [Re: Risky Business]
titty sprinkles Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Toronto,Ontario

#8662766 - 05/18/16 03:21 PM Re: Toronto house listed at $1 in hopes of starting bidding war [Re: titty sprinkles]
Big Tasty Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Toronto
Would love for someone to find some legal loophole to force him to see for $1.
#8662772 - 05/18/16 03:25 PM Re: Toronto house listed at $1 in hopes of starting bidding war [Re: Big Tasty]
TheRealCSnapper Moderator Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Toronto, Canada
a fairly run of the mill house in the junction is not exactly on a faceless chinese money laundering investor's radar...

i wonder in the market where buyers are just fucking fed up with stupid prices if this tactic will actually backfire lol

i also hate how he won't deal under $700k....yet he listed it at $1. i hope he gets nothing but lowball offers. also he has a punchable cunt face.

#8662795 - 05/18/16 03:48 PM Re: Toronto house listed at $1 in hopes of starting bidding war [Re: TheRealCSnapper]
SuPeR-MaRiO Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: Toronto, Ontario
I would love to see the day when sellers/agents cannot sell for more than the asking price. Man that would change the market drastically.

You want to get $1M for your house, than price it as such. Afraid you'd lose out on higher offers, price it at $1.5M, all you'll get then is lower offers.

More than one offer at your asking price? Pick one. If the conditions are the same good ol' "Eeny, meeny, miny, moe" always works.

#8663132 - 05/18/16 09:25 PM Re: Toronto house listed at $1 in hopes of starting bidding war [Re: SuPeR-MaRiO]
Screamin Type ARGH! Offline
High Value Poster
Post Master Supreme

Loc: T.O. - Canaduh
ha that's be the day. though from OP's article and how 'smart ass' the realtor is being with that market action...i dunno, i find it to be a bit of a slap in the face too.

this hood 998k goes for 1.42 mil in a few days....yup, da norm lal.

"Ban low performance drivers, not high performance cars"

#8663494 - 05/19/16 08:46 AM Re: Toronto house listed at $1 in hopes of starting bidding war [Re: Screamin Type ARGH!]
Just A Troll Offline
Curved Street Thug Life
Post Master

Now that the TREB is forced to reveal the ACTUAL sale prices people will be better informed. Tactics like listing well below norm, or even $1, just won't work anymore.

Case and point: I went to see a place listed at $750K. It actually sold for $830K. Then I found through a realtor friend that houses in that 'hood all sell above $800K. The $750K list price is a bait-and-switch that's meant to trigger bidding wars. Had I known that the likely sale price was in the 800K's, well over my budget, I wouldn't even had bothered.

I agree about one thing: if you list for $1 and you won't even bother with any offer below $700K then that's false advertising and it should be illegal.

Think of car dealerships: If they advertise a car for $15K, which we know is the bare minimum model you'll ever get, and you end up with a bare bones model for $18K, that's false advertising. So why doesn't the same apply to Realtors?

#8663509 - 05/19/16 09:00 AM Re: Toronto house listed at $1 in hopes of starting bidding war [Re: Just A Troll]
LNXGUY Moderator Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Barrie, Ont,
You have to put a bit of the onice on the buyer as well. Asking price is exactly that, an asking price. It's not like they're asking 350k for that house that's selling for 800k. Now that would be a bait and switch.

#8663528 - 05/19/16 09:21 AM Re: Toronto house listed at $1 in hopes of starting bidding war [Re: LNXGUY]
Just A Troll Offline
Curved Street Thug Life
Post Master

Why should this have anything to do with the buyer? I'm talking about sneaky advertising tactics. I get the whole buyer beware thing but misleading consumers is illegal in this province. It got so bad that we had to create consumer protection laws. I think the whole realtor business is like the wild west these days. It's just out of control.

What's the difference between "asking price" and "advertised price"? This $1 is clearly an "advertised price". Nobody in their right mind will ever think the seller is actually asking for $1. False advertising!

What's to stop every realtor out there from listing EVERY single house on the market for $1 ? Then the buyers will have no idea what the real asking price is or even what's a reasonable selling price. That's one reason I think these $1 listings should be illegal. It's clearly false advertising.

#8663537 - 05/19/16 09:34 AM Re: Toronto house listed at $1 in hopes of starting bidding war [Re: Just A Troll]
LNXGUY Moderator Offline
Post Master Supreme

It's got everything to do with the buyer because you think they're too stupid to realize what's going on

People shopping houses in the Toronto market know what these houses sell for, the 'asking' or 'advertised' price doesn't make a lick of a difference.

#8663547 - 05/19/16 09:47 AM Re: Toronto house listed at $1 in hopes of starting bidding war [Re: LNXGUY]
Just A Troll Offline
Curved Street Thug Life
Post Master

Originally Posted By: LNXGUY

People shopping houses in the Toronto market know what these houses sell for...

No they don't!

Did you not read of my example of a house listed for $750 when it really should've been listed in the 800s ?

Did you not see the recent ruling that forces the TREB to reveal the ACTUAL sale prices for homes?

That was done in an effort to help buyers better understand the real prices they should be looking at. That's because they DON'T really know what the prices really are.

Granted the $1 thing is silly, everyone knows they won't be scooping up a house for $1. But will it be a $600K, $700K, $800K, $900K, $1Mil house? You really have no idea because the $1 thing obfuscates the fact that the seller won't sell for under $700K in this case.

The only time you should list anything for $1 is if you intend on have an auction. If you're going to do that, then you abide by Auction rules. You set a date for inspection. You set a date for the sale. You set a reserve price. Then the auction proceeds as normal with people putting in their bids. The Auctioneer determines the winner and then it's done!

#8663574 - 05/19/16 10:04 AM Re: Toronto house listed at $1 in hopes of starting bidding war [Re: Just A Troll]
Risky Business Offline
Post Master Supreme

What are you yammering about, no one is blindly putting offers in on house. Everyone has looked at comps, the issue is that the market is so hot you don't know what the next yokel is going to offer, so you never really know what the selling price will be. It's a fluid situation and properties are unique/not always comparable. Our real estate market isn't like the states where everything is priced on the square foot metric.
#8663582 - 05/19/16 10:07 AM Re: Toronto house listed at $1 in hopes of starting bidding war [Re: Risky Business]
Euphoricuck Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Canadistan
They like to keep the data secret. Helps drive the hype train

#8663593 - 05/19/16 10:13 AM Re: Toronto house listed at $1 in hopes of starting bidding war [Re: Euphoricuck]
c2k Moderator Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Wiesloch-Walldorf, Germany
 Originally Posted By: Euphoric
They like to keep the data secret. Helps drive the hype train

Real Estate Market = Expert right hurr.

#8663659 - 05/19/16 10:41 AM Re: Toronto house listed at $1 in hopes of starting bidding war [Re: c2k]
Just A Troll Offline
Curved Street Thug Life
Post Master

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/treb-housing-data-competition-bureau-1.3557504

Quote:
The two sides have been fighting for years over who should have access to detailed data about home sales. The bureau argues that the Realtor group limits competition and subsequently keeps costs high by restricting access to data on its proprietary Multiple Listing Service, on which more than 90 per cent of all Canadian home sales get processed.

TREB "restricts how its member agents provide information to consumers, such as previous listings and previous sale prices, thereby denying agents the ability to introduce new and innovative real estate brokerage services using the Internet," is how the bureau put it in a release Thursday.

The data won't be secret any longer.

For the moment the buyer's aren't well informed. But they soon will be.

I once again point to my case: If I had known that the whole neighbourhood I was looking at was about $50K over my budget, I wouldn't have bothered with that area.

One thing I do know is that I shouldn't even bother with places like Mississauga Road. But this was Bristol and McLaughling. Where houses were advertised in the 600ks and 700ks but they ALL sold in the 800ks this year. Now, not all neighbourhoods are like that. Houses around 9th line, at the extreme west border of Mississauga, list in the 600s and 700s and they do sell in that price range.

I ended up around Hurontario and Eglington within my budget.

#8663805 - 05/19/16 12:19 PM Re: Toronto house listed at $1 in hopes of starting bidding war [Re: Just A Troll]
Risky Business Offline
Post Master Supreme

Lol secret data
#8663819 - 05/19/16 12:32 PM Re: Toronto house listed at $1 in hopes of starting bidding war [Re: Risky Business]
LNXGUY Moderator Offline
Post Master Supreme

Houses sell for over asking? No shit?

#8663981 - 05/19/16 01:45 PM Re: Toronto house listed at $1 in hopes of starting bidding war [Re: LNXGUY]
Euphoricuck Offline
Post Master Supreme

Do you know what previous sale prices were ?
What other buyers are offering ?
Alllll kind of data buyers/sellers are not privy too which could help them make better informed decisions.
Manipulated sale data etc.

Triloll posted a good article. This isn't a new concept. Things are slowly changing finally.

Ignorance is bliss I guess.

#8663988 - 05/19/16 01:46 PM Re: Toronto house listed at $1 in hopes of starting bidding war [Re: Just A Troll]
Big Tasty Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Toronto
 Originally Posted By: Just A Troll
http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/treb-housing-data-competition-bureau-1.3557504

Quote:
The two sides have been fighting for years over who should have access to detailed data about home sales. The bureau argues that the Realtor group limits competition and subsequently keeps costs high by restricting access to data on its proprietary Multiple Listing Service, on which more than 90 per cent of all Canadian home sales get processed.

TREB "restricts how its member agents provide information to consumers, such as previous listings and previous sale prices, thereby denying agents the ability to introduce new and innovative real estate brokerage services using the Internet," is how the bureau put it in a release Thursday.

The data won't be secret any longer.

For the moment the buyer's aren't well informed. But they soon will be.

I once again point to my case: If I had known that the whole neighbourhood I was looking at was about $50K over my budget, I wouldn't have bothered with that area.

One thing I do know is that I shouldn't even bother with places like Mississauga Road. But this was Bristol and McLaughling. Where houses were advertised in the 600ks and 700ks but they ALL sold in the 800ks this year. Now, not all neighbourhoods are like that. Houses around 9th line, at the extreme west border of Mississauga, list in the 600s and 700s and they do sell in that price range.

I ended up around Hurontario and Eglington within my budget.

If you are serious about putting in an offer, doesn't your realtor send you recently sold in that area so you are better informed? If tire kicking then who cares?

#8664020 - 05/19/16 02:01 PM Re: Toronto house listed at $1 in hopes of starting bidding war [Re: LNXGUY]
Euphoricuck Offline
Post Master Supreme

this totally depends on the area and what the listing price is.
They don't always sell for over asking. Based on the selling prices i get (via email) I've noticed many selling under lately. Could be because people are getting greedy and asking too much. Could be certain areas are cooling off. Or a combo of that and other factors.

The stupidest thing are those "sold over asking " sign.

#8664030 - 05/19/16 02:07 PM Re: Toronto house listed at $1 in hopes of starting bidding war [Re: Euphoricuck]
Risky Business Offline
Post Master Supreme

Tell me one person, JUST ONE, that went and bought a house without knowing the recent comps...I will wait.

Just because it's not publically available on the internet like everything else, doesn't mean people are making uneducated decisions. Yes it sucks and gives realtors a guaranteed job since you have to go through them, but everyone is well informed through their agent on what the market is doing and comparable sales. Let's stop with this "secret data"

Would it be more beneficial for it to be public? Yes.

When that happens will it change the craziness in pricing? No, it's just going to put a bunch of agents out of work, the market will continue what it does. It's not like releasing this info would create an efficient real estate market.

#8664038 - 05/19/16 02:15 PM Re: Toronto house listed at $1 in hopes of starting bidding war [Re: LNXGUY]
spd-dmn Offline
Post Master

secret data? shiet

you mean the sold prices i get in my inbox every single day are all lies?

#8664046 - 05/19/16 02:20 PM Re: Toronto house listed at $1 in hopes of starting bidding war [Re: Euphoricuck]
LNXGUY Moderator Offline
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: Euphoric
this totally depends on the area and what the listing price is.
They don't always sell for over asking. Based on the selling prices i get (via email) I've noticed many selling under lately. Could be because people are getting greedy and asking too much. Could be certain areas are cooling off. Or a combo of that and other factors.

The stupidest thing are those "sold over asking " sign.

I hate the 'coming soon' signs. Like fuck, just put the god damn house up for sale

I read those emails daily (For Barrie/Simcoe) I'd say depending on the neighbour hood it's either at asking or a bit over. Buddy down the street sold his for 6k over asking. I even got over asking for my townhouse in Sept (Although it wasn't much over)

#8664088 - 05/19/16 02:53 PM Re: Toronto house listed at $1 in hopes of starting bidding war [Re: LNXGUY]
Risky Business Offline
Post Master Supreme

Isn't over asking pretty much standard.

Down here it's generally 100k+ over asking on most shit. Biggest one I saw was half a mil over asking LOL

#8664100 - 05/19/16 03:06 PM Re: Toronto house listed at $1 in hopes of starting bidding war [Re: LNXGUY]
Just A Troll Offline
Curved Street Thug Life
Post Master

I got mine ... UNDER asking.

#8664193 - 05/19/16 04:06 PM Re: Toronto house listed at $1 in hopes of starting bidding war [Re: Just A Troll]
Simon_the_Pieman Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: The A
thanks for the story but decided to read this one instead:

http://www.metronews.ca/news/ottawa/2016...humiliated.html

#8664255 - 05/19/16 04:41 PM Re: Toronto house listed at $1 in hopes of starting bidding war [Re: Simon_the_Pieman]
Euphoricuck Offline
Post Master Supreme

All I see is win

#8664284 - 05/19/16 04:54 PM Re: Toronto house listed at $1 in hopes of starting bidding war [Re: Simon_the_Pieman]
Screamin Type ARGH! Offline
High Value Poster
Post Master Supreme

Loc: T.O. - Canaduh
 Originally Posted By: Simon_the_Pieman
thanks for the story but decided to read this one instead:

http://www.metronews.ca/news/ottawa/2016...humiliated.html

"Ban low performance drivers, not high performance cars"

#8664428 - 05/19/16 06:21 PM Re: Toronto house listed at $1 in hopes of starting bidding war [Re: Just A Troll]
LNXGUY Moderator Offline
Post Master Supreme

We both must be lucky, cause I got mine for 15k under asking \:\) Definitely not the norm, especially in this neighbourhood.

#8664791 - 05/20/16 07:48 AM Re: Toronto house listed at $1 in hopes of starting bidding war [Re: LNXGUY]
Just A Troll Offline
Curved Street Thug Life
Post Master

We both must be lucky, cause I got mine for 15k under asking \:\) Definitely not the norm, especially in this neighbourhood.

$19K under for mine. So almost the same as you. I wonder if some people do better than a mere $20K under asking in this market.

I think one reason I was able to pull this off is because I bought before the spring rush and the person was desperate to sell due to divorce.

#8664805 - 05/20/16 08:05 AM Re: Toronto house listed at $1 in hopes of starting bidding war [Re: Just A Troll]
LNXGUY Moderator Offline
Post Master Supreme

$19K under for mine. So almost the same as you. I wonder if some people do better than a mere $20K under asking in this market.

I think one reason I was able to pull this off is because I bought before the spring rush and the person was desperate to sell due to divorce.

Good deal. Ours was untouched from '92. Even had the flower borders in the kitchen. I think that's what scared most people and the fact that those houses back then were so chopped up (room after room, no wide open spaces). We took care of that though. We were under the impression we'd reno and flip, but I think we might stay here a while.

#8664815 - 05/20/16 08:19 AM Re: Toronto house listed at $1 in hopes of starting bidding war [Re: LNXGUY]
Just A Troll Offline
Curved Street Thug Life
Post Master

I did notice that some older places are harder to sell. The g unit didn't like a lot of places we visited because they were old. Then she said: we'll have to do another $200k of renovations!

In this market getting something under asking is a rarity. I hope you enjoy it for a long time. Congrats.

#8664826 - 05/20/16 08:30 AM Re: Toronto house listed at $1 in hopes of starting bidding war [Re: Just A Troll]
LNXGUY Moderator Offline
Post Master Supreme

Thanks man, you as well!

Page 1 of 2 12>

Moderator:  c2k, LNXGUY, TheRealCSnapper, Professor Paki 
Hop to:
Shout Box

CSi Sponsors

DiGBiC Lighters
DiGBiC Lighters
DallasColo
Dallas Colocation
ClubSi.com Shirts
ClubSi-Shirts
GameStop
Black-Friday Specials
Big Brake Kits
StopTech.Sale BBK Clearance
Brake Kits
Buy Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
BuyBrakes
Brake Kits-Pads & Rotors Sets
StopTech Brake Kits
StopTech
StopTech NZ
StopTech
StopTech Australia
StopTech
Hawk Brake Pads
Hawk Brake Pads
Samys Camera
GoPros, Cameras, Gear
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Pad Coupons
Coupon Code "hondafetish"
Porsche Brakes
Porsche Brake Upgrades
2-Piece Rotors-Civic Type-R
2-Piece Civic Rotors
Advertisement

| Brake Pads | | How To Change Brake Pads | | Drilled Slotted Brake Kits Cheap | EBC Brake Kits | Performance Brake Kits | Brake Specials Near Me | How To Replace Brake Pads