Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#8468736 - 12/07/15 03:15 PM Shiznit is hitting the fan @ my office.
OracerO Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: GTA
Need advice.

My Company floor - ever since we've hired a new VP - has basically run the floor down. The COO hired him in June, and now we've gone through 3 re-orgs. During this time (starting with him, got canned 2 months ago), before he was canned he cut my team (the most profitable on the floor) and split it into our other two teams.

Only to out source the service that i built to a vendor (which we found out that he had investment ties into this vendor - he's canned and this vendor is canned now).

Now employees are dropping 1-2 every week. This floor, this office in Toronto is pretty much done.

I've got 2 options, i'm being headhunted like crazy via linkedin.
Most are entry-level management or senior analyst opportunities.

Now, one thing i've learned this year is that if you want to be successful in implementing a project or a system, you have to have full ownership, full authority, no pushing up the chain for permission BS (this was a start-up with about 200 employees, and even after we got bought out, I still have the authority).

If i take another position, i basically (probably) will be an employee again. No ownership, political BS with higher pay and probably a better company.

Or - I go full entrepreneurship. I'm a realtor and i have a ton of business in March lined up. I love this idea, but the problem is with in entrepreneurship, you tend to be a loner, due to being isolated a lot and just working away. I miss the office environment and the intellectual synergy.

My current situation is that i cannot leave at the moment for another opportunity. I will probably get packaged out, but i am not sure when, maybe in Jan. I want the package.

Bonus: they are closing the floor for the holidays, 2 weeks paid. SO it would be dumb to leave sooner.

The Faq should i do? What would you do?

The unknowns are when i will get packaged out. If i could shelter myself till Feb, this would be ideal.

Coles Notes: COmpany going down the drain. People leaving. I want a package, cannot leave. Entrepreneurship or Employee for future?

Edited by OracerO (12/07/15 03:16 PM)

#8468812 - 12/07/15 03:42 PM Re: Shiznit is hitting the fan @ my office. [Re: OracerO]
furball Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: Toronto, ON
What's your role/industry, and how long have you been there? How large is package?

Is realtor a career jump? (Can't tell by your post)

#8468893 - 12/07/15 04:15 PM Re: Shiznit is hitting the fan @ my office. [Re: furball]
OracerO Offline
Post Master Sr

Role: Lead Generation and Sales Development operations.

Industry: It's a small industry, i rather not publicly state this.

Package: should be generous, i've see some of my buddies packages and some guys have been with the floor for 5 months was offered a 3 month package.

Not really a career jump, i've doing it now, but it would be full time.

#8468933 - 12/07/15 04:36 PM Re: Shiznit is hitting the fan @ my office. [Re: OracerO]
SuPeR-MaRiO Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: Toronto, Ontario
Pardon my ignorance or ability to read. Are you a part time realtor, and the "Entrepreneurship" option is turning it into a full time gig? Or is the Entrepreneurship related to your day job?
#8468942 - 12/07/15 04:41 PM Re: Shiznit is hitting the fan @ my office. [Re: SuPeR-MaRiO]
Euphoricuck Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Canadistan
Someone pays op 6 figures ?

#8469102 - 12/07/15 06:19 PM Re: Shiznit is hitting the fan @ my office. [Re: OracerO]
Simon_the_Pieman Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: The A
 Originally Posted By: OracerO

Or - I go full entrepreneurship. I'm a realtor and i have a ton of business in March lined up. I love this idea, but the problem is with in entrepreneurship, you tend to be a loner, due to being isolated a lot and just working away. I miss the office environment and the intellectual synergy.

i say be your own boss. if you are that busy, you'll hire good people and grow. build your office environment up the way you want it, with who you want in it.

#8469157 - 12/07/15 06:59 PM Re: Shiznit is hitting the fan @ my office. [Re: Simon_the_Pieman]
loudsubz Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Ontario, Canada
 Originally Posted By: Simon_the_Pieman

i say be your own boss. if you are that busy, you'll hire good people and grow. build your office environment up the way you want it, with who you want in it.

great points...if only every company thought like this \:\)

#8469260 - 12/07/15 08:31 PM Re: Shiznit is hitting the fan @ my office. [Re: loudsubz]
furball Offline
Post Master Sr

So, this sounds like you're doing a full-time gig, 'with full authority', AND you have time to do your part-time realtor gig ...

That, is autonomy, and alot of free time available to you. You're able to do your lead generation stuff, without travelling much, since you have a realtor job, amirite?

What's wrong with an entry-level mgmt job, where you get to come in the office at 9am, generate leads/lead the lemmings, and leave at 5? You get to be your own boss come 5pm, and/or work from home from time to time and realtor shit.

I'd say don't just sit and wait in line to get shot...

Do what it takes to 'shine', to 'take the company to the next level', to 'fix the fucked up shit' .... What have you got to lose? It's low-season between now and Feb for realtor shit anyway, no?

i.e. do what it takes to get the company to like you, and if they can you, so be it; you tried. Plus you have your realtor job going for you anyway.

Not sure how your vague answer re: 'tons of shit lined up for me in March' works out ...

#8469274 - 12/07/15 08:36 PM Re: Shiznit is hitting the fan @ my office. [Re: furball]
Senor Eduardo_82 Offline
miataist
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Ca�ada
F/T real estate? PSH! That bubble is going to burst any time now.... [/Renters]
#8469480 - 12/08/15 04:02 AM Re: Shiznit is hitting the fan @ my office. [Re: Senor Eduardo_82]
hyper-s2k Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: T dot O dot, Canada
Had to re-read a couple of times but ultimately the question is just whether to take another job vs. go full-force into entrepreneurship?

(The package thing sounds like it's inevitable - so I'd hold out until the bitter end regardless; would be good to have as buffer while you ramp your own business).

To me, the choice is really about your lifestyle; if you don't have dependents (or if you have a spouse that has a decent steady income) then go for being your own boss. Otherwise, I'd take another job and make a run at that.
'03 s2k - now @ 80,xxx km - a2a car
'08 535i - sold @ 149,421 km - cashed out just in time!
'08 impreza 2.5i - sold @ - 64,147 km - smh POS
'01 rav4 - killed @ 155,879 km - RIP old friend

"Driving in the snow is like sex. If you want to avoid accidents, abstinence is the best policy. If you're gonna take her for a spin, use protection." - Rick Mercer

#8469559 - 12/08/15 08:10 AM Re: Shiznit is hitting the fan @ my office. [Re: hyper-s2k]
Raocorp Offline
Cougar Slayer
Post Master Sr

Loc: Toronto
 Originally Posted By: hyper-s2k

To me, the choice is really about your lifestyle; if you don't have dependents (or if you have a spouse that has a decent steady income) then go for being your own boss. Otherwise, I'd take another job and make a run at that.

+1

#8469847 - 12/08/15 11:40 AM Re: Shiznit is hitting the fan @ my office. [Re: Raocorp]
OracerO Offline
Post Master Sr

Hmm..

SOrry guys. I should clear it up.

Should i find another job or just stay being a Realtor/ Entrepreneur?

I currently am working 9-5, and managing my Real estate business after work and on weekends.

So i give up a consistent pay cheque and take a gamble and go on my own (again in life, but this time i'm actually terrified) or i find another Job - which totally wouldn't be as slack as this.

Furball: The floor is done. There is no more shining. Im all shined out and dull now. The issue is that if i leave now, i won't get a package.

I guess the current situation is the best case scenario - i have a ton of free time at work. It's quite slack.

But i am totally waiting in line to get shot at the moment.

SO the question is, should i start considering another career? or just balls out and go full entrepreneurship (i use this word because i like to create things, Real estate was presented to me and i couldn't pass it up. I will create another business and many more).

This current company, i'm the architect for their in-house lead generation/ telesales team. They gave me a budget, and i built them a system that would have scaled to 60 employees on the floor (made it to 36, then VP axed the project). Gain a ton of traction to the point where they took my systems and adapted it in San Francisco, Austin, and New Jersey's offices. Traveled a ton for this job, personally on-boarded all 36 employees in Toronto, did a ton of training and created the training manuals through out North America. Integrated Salesforce with our crappy legacy systems - this should be a victory on its own, broke down hurdles and climbed to the stars....all within a year, while studying for the realtor's exam.

So it was pretty cool doing that. I guess i can go into consulting. I mean what company wouldn't want more sales/ deals converted? ...

#8469879 - 12/08/15 11:54 AM Re: Shiznit is hitting the fan @ my office. [Re: OracerO]
furball Offline
Post Master Sr

Ok, so the floor is done, this company is dead.

Polish up that resume, tweak it for jobs/titles/industries that you're looking for, because if you're getting head hunted, and not for VP-esque or Consultant/transformative roles, then you're doing it wrong on LinkedIn/etc.

Consulting gigs, again, depending on how you do it, particularly 'transformative' ones, is the new hotness. You mentioned SalesForce, but again, that doesn't tell me much as to your expertise. SF is massive, and skillsets vary from newbie to hardcore architect. Sounds like you consultative experience in what you did.

Realtor you're learning brand new ropes, and has its ups and downs...

I don't know many realtors, but see 2 that shine from the crowd, because they differ in what they do/how they do it.
a) The radio/DJ/wedding MC turned realtor
- I guess he's using his face/likeness/etc to promote his sales. After awhile, he ends up with minions he can pawn off sales to, where he ends up generating the leads/etc. Hence he's moved up into being a sole proprietor realtor to pretty much his own corp.

b) commercial
- Again, this is thru networking. I know one lady who does most if not all the commercial real estate for a CEO. By proxy, she also ends up getting referrals/etc for millionaires/billionaires looking to put their kids/wife/second wife up in Canada in a mansion...

Anyhow...

#8469997 - 12/08/15 01:09 PM Re: Shiznit is hitting the fan @ my office. [Re: furball]
OracerO Offline
Post Master Sr

What a joke, just found out we don't get paid our Vacay days. Guess i will be off mid December till Jan 4th!

I would say if i took the Sales force admin Certification, i can pass. I defiantly am not a pro, but being around a variety of CRM's, they're all the same with different lingo.

I'm only realtor only because i had money on the table that was worth me getting the license. At least now, i get to buy/sell my own properties (if i had more than one, which i don't).

Yea my Linkedin isn't that great, i'm going to get a consultant to polish it. LOL...

I really do not want to be a employee anymore. I might go into the consulting route, i've met a ton of consultants that i've hired for this company and have learned a great deal in their lingo.

I guess it's good just venting this out since it enables me to see and structure what exactly is going on (written on CSI forums).

Commercial Real Estate is $$$$$$$$$$$$$$ i've placed a client on a 5 year lease term and made quite some $ on that. The barrier to entry is difficult though.

I've narrowed it down to:
- Be a lone ranger entrepreneur/ consulting/ real esate
- I would need to buy time at the current company till March while picking up clients for both career paths (Realtor and Consultant)
- Take a package
- Profit
- all this after my month of Vacay of course.

#8470090 - 12/08/15 02:18 PM Re: Shiznit is hitting the fan @ my office. [Re: OracerO]
furball Offline
Post Master Sr

I'd like to think I'm pretty good at shit like this. PM me hun

Yea my Linkedin isn't that great, i'm going to get a consultant to polish it. LOL...

#8470301 - 12/08/15 04:33 PM Re: Shiznit is hitting the fan @ my office. [Re: furball]
JEFFOS Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Toronto
Waiting for the package all depends on how big you think the package is.

#8470451 - 12/08/15 06:35 PM Re: Shiznit is hitting the fan @ my office. [Re: JEFFOS]
Senor Eduardo_82 Offline
miataist
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Ca�ada
 Originally Posted By: JEFFOS
Waiting for the package all depends on how big you think the package is.

That's what she said.

#8471840 - 12/09/15 08:55 PM Re: Shiznit is hitting the fan @ my office. [Re: Senor Eduardo_82]
4age Offline
XD XD XD XD
Post Master Sr

Loc: North York, Ontario, Canada
Lead generation?
That's a huge market. Why are you considering leaving the field?
Real Estate - understandably huge market. But two totally different things. If lead gen is your ball game, the world is your oyster. Talent pool isn't large if you're talking about big time platform type approaches.

Why not go independant and consult?
PM me if you're still planning to be in the lead gen circle.

EDIT: I suck at checking pm's. Linkedin me. Shaun Ma

Edited by 4age (12/09/15 08:56 PM)

XD XD XD XD

#8474367 - 12/11/15 04:51 PM Re: Shiznit is hitting the fan @ my office. [Re: 4age]
OracerO Offline
Post Master Sr

I'm actually building a lead Gen platform for Real estate.

I will be in the Lead gen field. This past year i've learned a lot on metadata, data warehousing, and how to slice and dice it for world domination.

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  c2k, LNXGUY, TheRealCSnapper, Professor Paki 
Hop to:
Shout Box

CSi Sponsors

DiGBiC Lighters
DiGBiC Lighters
DallasColo
Dallas Colocation
ClubSi.com Shirts
ClubSi-Shirts
GameStop
Black-Friday Specials
Big Brake Kits
StopTech.Sale BBK Clearance
Brake Kits
Buy Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
BuyBrakes
Brake Kits-Pads & Rotors Sets
StopTech Brake Kits
StopTech
StopTech NZ
StopTech
StopTech Australia
StopTech
Hawk Brake Pads
Hawk Brake Pads
Samys Camera
GoPros, Cameras, Gear
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Pad Coupons
Coupon Code "hondafetish"
Porsche Brakes
Porsche Brake Upgrades
2-Piece Rotors-Civic Type-R
2-Piece Civic Rotors
Advertisement

| Brake Pads | | How To Change Brake Pads | | Drilled Slotted Brake Kits Cheap | EBC Brake Kits | Performance Brake Kits | Brake Specials Near Me | How To Replace Brake Pads